Another good SDG bites the dust

Started by ERMudPhud
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

THIS is the contract that got EM all up in arms over?!

EM is so ****ing cooked. This contract is garbage for a new hire. Piss poor pay, especially in Oregon with their income tax. Paying new grad BE docs less than BCEM AND no benefits? F off with that noise. I'm sure the partners make a lot of profit off of their new hires but this is so gross. Glad to work for a shop that gives equal pay for your work from day 1. This **** makes my blood boil.
The board certified position is pretty good. Even pre-partner it’s competitive.

I don’t think new grads should be paid as well as BC. They’re slower and often require monitoring for several months.
 
Sure, but $200/hr with no benefits in 2026 is objectively horrible. I'm not aware of any buy-in that bad for a mid tier (at best) city.

Says "full benefit program" in there. I'm willing to bet some limited benefit program is in there for their first year.

Nonetheless, I couldn't possibly move to Oregon. We went on vacay to the coast last summer and I wanted to order CT brain on everyone that I met there.
Did I post about that? Maybe I did. That time when the commiehipsters asked me what the flag (Florida state flag) was on my hat because they assumed it was a fascism thing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Says "full benefit program" in there. I'm willing to bet some limited benefit program is in there for their first year.

Nonetheless, I couldn't possibly move to Oregon. We went on vacay to the coast last summer and I wanted to order CT brain on everyone that I met there.
Did I post about that? Maybe I did. That time when the commiehipsters asked me what the flag (Florida state flag) was on my hat because they assumed it was a fascism thing?
I'm not sure I could pick the Florida state flag out of a lineup. I'm assuming there's an alligator on it somewhere, probably being run over by an old person in a huge SUV.
 
The board certified position is pretty good. Even pre-partner it’s competitive.

I don’t think new grads should be paid as well as BC. They’re slower and often require monitoring for several months.

BCEM should get no less than $300/hr particularly location like Eugene Oregon. Come on now.

I graduated in 2020. $200/hr today equates to $154/hr in 2020. Just absolutely horrendous. I would've never taken that job.

Again, EM is cooked.
 
I'm not sure I could pick the Florida state flag out of a lineup. I'm assuming there's an alligator on it somewhere, probably being run over by an old person in a huge SUV.

You're SC, so I can't blame you for not recognizing the Cross of Burgundy common to most flags in the SE.
You guys have that palm tree and crescent moon, which is honestly pretty cool of a design.

Now for the gags: Alligator works, but really if you just had a boomer with that blank gap-mouthed stare on the flag, it would work.
I can't take it here anymore.
 
BCEM should get no less than $300/hr particularly location like Eugene Oregon. Come on now.

I graduated in 2020. $200/hr today equates to $154/hr in 2020. Just absolutely horrendous. I would've never taken that job.

Again, EM is cooked.

Yeah, I frequently catch myself comparing 2015 dollars to 2025(6) dollars.
You're not wrong, bro.
 
THIS is the contract that got EM all up in arms over?!

EM is so ****ing cooked. This contract is garbage for a new hire. Piss poor pay, especially in Oregon with their income tax. Paying new grad BE docs less than BCEM AND no benefits? F off with that noise. I'm sure the partners make a lot of profit off of their new hires but this is so gross. Glad to work for a shop that gives equal pay for your work from day 1. This **** makes my blood boil.

Hey, all SDGs are great though, remember?!?

Stable? Hmm
 
You're SC, so I can't blame you for not recognizing the Cross of Burgundy common to most flags in the SE.
You guys have that palm tree and crescent moon, which is honestly pretty cool of a design.

Now for the gags: Alligator works, but really if you just had a boomer with that blank gap-mouthed stare on the flag, it would work.
I can't take it here anymore.
As resident historian and former Floridian, I have to mention the FL state flag is interesting…

For years it was just a white flag with the old state seal in the middle. A state seal with a plains Indian, a mountain, and an inaccurate palm.

Then around the lost cause era, they added the diagonal crossed bars. Just a couple years after Alabama did. Some think it’s a nod to cross of burgundy, some think it’s a nod to the confederacy, some thing it was a practical way to make it less like a flag of surrender when limp (also a problem for the confederate “stainless banner”). Florida being Florida didn’t keep any records or correspondence from the time, so we can’t know. They did update the state seal in the 80s to fix the Native American and the palm and the mountain and to make sure I GOD WE TRUST was visible.

Alabamas flag, which was adopted nearly the same year, has a similar muddled past. The st Andrews cross was/is felt by many to evoke confederate heritage, and it was adopted around the same time the were making holidays for Lee and company. But it’s not explicit and no smoking gun has been found showing that was the true inspiration


Regardless they are weak state flags. Colorado? Texas? Maryland? Arizona? New Mexico? SC? Include Puerto Rico! Those are S-tier flags.

If your flag has a state seal on it… de facto bottom half the rankings
 
BCEM should get no less than $300/hr particularly location like Eugene Oregon. Come on now.

I graduated in 2020. $200/hr today equates to $154/hr in 2020. Just absolutely horrendous. I would've never taken that job.

Again, EM is cooked.
No disagreement about EM being a dead-end joke of field at this point. But criticizing this offer is pretty ludicrous. I mean, wasn't someone in the other thread saying the going rate in Chattanooga was 220/hr? And that's for a sweatshop cmg gig. I wonder what Apollo's target rate for this site was, guessing somewhere around 190...obviously with their famously gracious bennie package. Plus, it's only 1-2 years.
 
The board certified position is pretty good. Even pre-partner it’s competitive.

I don’t think new grads should be paid as well as BC. They’re slower and often require monitoring for several months.
Ill say i dont think this is true and frankly very individual dependent. It might be true for 1-2 months max. That being said they are seeing about 80k visits a year. which is 220/day. They have 96 hours of coverage and 3 PA shifts a day. So it is pretty obvious the docs are seeing under 2pph. Given that a semi decent EM doc can see 1.5-1.7 pph day 1 from a non HCA residency.

Ill be honest the pay is trash, it may be that the group partners are making a ton of money. I have no idea. Other jobs in oregon were typically in the 300/hr range.

If you extrapolate the real numbers here they still suck but arent as bad as it appears. Year 1 you get a 15k sign on bonus. thats worth roughly $10/hr. So 210/hr.

year 2 is 225/hr plus 20% in retirement. so closer to 270/hr which is not amazing by any stretch but this job seems very simple.
 
Hey, all SDGs are great though, remember?!?

Stable? Hmm
Ill say.. not all SDGs are great. Most EM groups the partners do well. The question is whats that path and if you can find out.. whats the pay. I have seen the inside baseball of a bunch of SDGs and some the partners really do not do very well. typically poorly run businesses.

That being said, while some SDGs are not crushing it (EEP may be crushing it, I dont know), all CMGs are bad.. its in the business model.
 
I joined my SDG many years ago well below market rate and put in sweat equity. It’s paid off ten fold. No regrets whatsoever. We’ve since made our pre-partner rates much better. I think EEP’s package looks pretty reasonable. Many are fooled by the shiny sign on bonuses and seemingly better rates of CMGs. You may pay some sweat equity with a SDG, but you’ll see top end compensation with no one skimming off the top. I became financially independent way earlier than I expected with subsequent above average income, a few years of above average hours, above average savings, simple investing and compounding growth. Sure, knock on EEP, but I wouldn’t be opposed to signing on with them as a new graduate based upon their recruiting ad. And I bet in 5-10 years, I wouldn’t regret it in the least bit.
My first job out of residency in year 1 I literally made ~25-30% of what the partners made. Objectively it sucked, It was about 2/3 of what a normal EM doc was getting paid in the area. I moonlit (strongly discouraged) at a site when they needed people for much better money. Things were hard. The worry i would have with joining EEP is while i personally think they are fine it would be very stupid not to consider the chance they lose the contract in the next 5 years. Again, i dont think it will happen but while many SDGs can say they have a great relationship with the C suite and feel like they are stable these guys cant say that. We see just recently EEP and the group in VA lost their contract. You have to sort out if the risk is worth the reward. I am guessing if someone wanted to go there the ballpakr partner comp would be shared during the interview process.

Thats how my group does it. We publish our rates for our pre partners but during the actual interview we are much more open about partner comp. Signing for 210-275/hr is reasonable. There is likely some financial risk that needs to be weighed. I do agree that the CMGs screw people with big sign on bonuses. Its frankly comical. New grads are simps and are mesmerized by the shiny object. Sign on bonus of 45k, substandard market pay.. they dont get that this is just $30/hr. My group hired a dude who did this with a CMG, he didnt want to leave because he would have to pay back the bonus. This move cost him about 60k in year 1 income. Again.. simp.. with no guidance from his equally stupid academic powerhouse attendings who cant do simple math.
 
Everything fades over time.

Look at SummaHealth. It's a distant memory.

Regarding ApolloMD as a CMG, I never said they weren't a CMG. I said they weren't private equity owned or backed. I stand by that. If the news media has portrayed it elsewhere, what can I say? News is never wrong, is it? The only people who clearly understand the structure of ApolloMD and ValorBridge are those of us involved in it.

I am speaking for myself with this and someone who was not involved in the RFP process at PeaceHealth (therefore, I am not knowledgeable of the contract specifics). I am sure ApolloMD could not have backed out of this deal if we wanted to as I bet there were stipulations in place that involved monetary compensation if one party did not fulfill its obligations. It looks worse to back out of a contract to a health system than it does to continue it even despite the negative publicity. Backing out of a contract has worse implications to future contract negotiations than displacing a local group who lost the RFP process.
I agree with this. it will fade. Whether apollo could back out or not you and i know depends on the details of the agreement. Clearly looks like Apollo and/or PeaceHealth backed out here to go back to EEP. Who knows the details? I dont.

I will say I know more than a few ApolloMD people. One of my closest EM friends has known Yogin for 20+ years well before he took over. They did stuff together when they were both residents. I can tell you the structure of apollo and the relationship with ValorBridge is either so convoluted or the people i know (more than a few) are completely stupid because none of them seem to understand the prior relationship.

Given my opinion of these people (some of them) i think the relationship was purposely opaque.

Either way.. it is what it is. I dont begrudge Apollo, you guys do you. its not for me, locally i dont like how they run their contracts and have had discussion with the local leader James Capes about their contract. Like most CMGs some sites are great (i am sure) and some are not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there an industry where it’s common to become an owner of a business without paying anything, whether that’s a buy-in or sweat equity? I’m not familiar with any off the top of my head. Turns out nobody really hands you things for free. With that said, there are definitely fair ways to go about it.
 
As resident historian and former Floridian, I have to mention the FL state flag is interesting…

For years it was just a white flag with the old state seal in the middle. A state seal with a plains Indian, a mountain, and an inaccurate palm.

Then around the lost cause era, they added the diagonal crossed bars. Just a couple years after Alabama did. Some think it’s a nod to cross of burgundy, some think it’s a nod to the confederacy, some thing it was a practical way to make it less like a flag of surrender when limp (also a problem for the confederate “stainless banner”). Florida being Florida didn’t keep any records or correspondence from the time, so we can’t know. They did update the state seal in the 80s to fix the Native American and the palm and the mountain and to make sure I GOD WE TRUST was visible.

Alabamas flag, which was adopted nearly the same year, has a similar muddled past. The st Andrews cross was/is felt by many to evoke confederate heritage, and it was adopted around the same time the were making holidays for Lee and company. But it’s not explicit and no smoking gun has been found showing that was the true inspiration


Regardless they are weak state flags. Colorado? Texas? Maryland? Arizona? New Mexico? SC? Include Puerto Rico! Those are S-tier flags.

If your flag has a state seal on it… de facto bottom half the rankings

CO, NM, AZ really are S-tier flags.
PA, SC, WA are mid.
OH can Eff right off with their straight up mentally disabled flag.
 
THIS is the contract that got EM all up in arms over?!

EM is so ****ing cooked. This contract is garbage for a new hire. Piss poor pay, especially in Oregon with their income tax. Paying new grad BE docs less than BCEM AND no benefits? F off with that noise. I'm sure the partners make a lot of profit off of their new hires but this is so gross. Glad to work for a shop that gives equal pay for your work from day 1. This **** makes my blood boil.

I mean its 225/hr for their one year partnership track which is not a great salary but its also not a garbage salary.

The partners are likely around 325/hr with benefits and retirement which is far more than most emergency physicians.
 
CO, NM, AZ really are S-tier flags.
PA, SC, WA are mid.
OH can Eff right off with their straight up mentally disabled flag.
I do like SC myself.

PA and WA suck. OH is terrible.

GA and NC are both weak/lame repurposed confederate flags (in GA’s case, to replace a different repurposed confederate flag). I find these terrible. Delaware may be worse aesthetically.

Mississippi shows how you can make a new southern flag that isn’t confederate inspired that looks vibrant and interesting. Not S-tier but solid.

Wyoming has S-tier potential if they’d remove the stupid seal.
 
I like CO flag myself. Even wear a trucker style baseball cap with the CO flag on it, that says Breckenridge on the back. What amazes me is how many people see that and think it's a Cuba flag! Idiots.
 
Is there an industry where it’s common to become an owner of a business without paying anything, whether that’s a buy-in or sweat equity? I’m not familiar with any off the top of my head. Turns out nobody really hands you things for free. With that said, there are definitely fair ways to go about it.
I did the math before I took my job. Roughly 5 years to pull ahead of the 2nd choice job, I can't remember third choice but it was also a few years.
 
THIS is the contract that got EM all up in arms over?!

EM is so ****ing cooked. This contract is garbage for a new hire. Piss poor pay, especially in Oregon with their income tax. Paying new grad BE docs less than BCEM AND no benefits? F off with that noise. I'm sure the partners make a lot of profit off of their new hires but this is so gross. Glad to work for a shop that gives equal pay for your work from day 1. This **** makes my blood boil.
I dunno…

When I joined my group I think the pre-partner rate was ~$185 ($195?)/hr + benefits/401K/etc + minor RVU stuff (maybe $1-2K/month RVU

That was my rate for two yrs.

As a partner, my rate is basically the same, but with >$300K in profit sharing every year.

I don’t feel exploited - I put in my time, and loyalty was built in both directions, I’ve more than made up for any lost wages. I’m definitely on the tip of bell curve for EM salary.

The pre-partner time is inportant because the partnership can be a career-long professional relationship. It gives us time to make sure somebody isn’t a terrible fit. Note: I am NOT talking about a predatory group that grinds though ppl and doesn’t partner them. That is not us. But our partners almost never ever leave the group to go elsewhere, so we really want to make sure our future partners are team players, in the truest sense of the term.

Just another perspective. Not all private groups are benign, but not all are malignant either.

<shrug>
 
Last edited:
Isn't the OH flag double sided?
It’s an odd swallow tail shape instead of rectangular like the rest of them. It’s also “just” red white and blue USA derivative. Meh.

1778379373143.png
 
I dunno…

When I joined my group I think the pre-partner rate was ~$185 ($195?)/hr + benefits/401K/etc + minor RVU stuff (maybe $1-2K/month RVU

That was my rate for two yrs.

As a partner, my rate is basically the same, but with >$300K in profit sharing every year.

I don’t feel exploited - I put in my time, and loyalty was built in both directions, I’ve more than made up for any lost wages. I’m definitely on the tip of bell curve for EM salary.

The pre-partner time is inportant because the partnership can be a career-long professional relationship. It gives us time to make sure somebody isn’t a terrible fit. Note: I am NOT talking about a predatory group that grinds though ppl and doesn’t partner them. That is not us. But our partners almost never ever leave the group to go elsewhere, so we really want to make sure our future partners are team players, in the truest sense of the term.

Just another perspective. Not all private groups are benign, but not all are malignant either.

<shrug>

Sounds way better than what EEP is offering. And the $185 was in what year? Benefit prices have gone up like crazy so not included that for a new grad is rough af. Inclusion of some RVU incentive is a decent add as well.
 
Sounds way better than what EEP is offering. And the $185 was in what year? Benefit prices have gone up like crazy so not included that for a new grad is rough af. Inclusion of some RVU incentive is a decent add as well.
I think it’s far more likely that you’re misinterpreting the posting. They might not give a retirement contribution the fairest year, but highly unlikely (and illegal) to not offer standard benefits to first year associates
 
Non partners and those on partnership tracks should not make what partners make. EM is one field where you can find tracks to partnership. Many specialties and other non medical careers have no option for partnership.

Do you think someone being hired as a plumber will ever have a chance to be an owner of the plumbing company without some amazingly high hurdles and luck?
 
Last edited:
Do you think someone being hired as a plumber will ever have a change to be an owner of the plumbing company without some amazingly high hurdles and luck?
This isn’t directed at you but mostly for the residents and younger attendings who think ownership is owed to them. In the plumbing example, there’s two ways for the plumber to own the business. First, negotiate a buy-in. Two, start their own business. I guess technically the third is nepotism but that’s going to be incredibly tough in the EM world. Nobody is giving you ownership in a business just because you have a certain degree or certification.
 
I think it’s far more likely that you’re misinterpreting the posting. They might not give a retirement contribution the fairest year, but highly unlikely (and illegal) to not offer standard benefits to first year associates

The job listing specifies only BCEM gets benefits and RVU comp adjustment. BE only gets retirement for 2nd year of 2 year track. Did you not read it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The job listing specifies only BCEM gets benefits and RVU comp adjustment. BE only gets retirement for 2nd year of 2 year track. Did you not read it?
It’s common for retirement plans to have a period of a certain number of hours or one year of employment before you’re eligible anyway so that point could certainly be irrelevant.
 
Jim McGovern, the chief hospital executive who started this whole process of trying to kick out EEP has been officially kicked to the curb.

Contrary to what the corporate docs may write here, I suspect that more of the C suite suits who started this issue will be gone before long and EEP will be here for many years to come.
 
Jim McGovern, the chief hospital executive who started this whole process of trying to kick out EEP has been officially kicked to the curb.

Contrary to what the corporate docs may write here, I suspect that more of the C suite suits who started this issue will be gone before long and EEP will be here for many years to come.
This is exactly what I have been saying. The docs in a good SDG will be around far longer than C suite leadership. The idea that the feelings of the current C suite matter is greatly overexaggerated since most will be gone before they will consider kicking EEP out again.

I have been through a ton of C suite leadership during my 10+ years at my current job. The key is to make sure the lower level C suite also like you so when they take over you have a relationship in hand already. My strategy is to be on good terms broadly and deeply. I have no concerns about our contract for many reasons which i wont put on here.
 
Dr. Kim Ruscher appears to have been forced out of leadership in the continuing purge of local executives who spearheaded this attempt to oust EEP. Kim was appointed to her position by Jim McGovern, who was also forced out following this attempted ousting of EEP.

Again, to all those out there who may be in an SDG facing a similar proposal, don't listen to the corporate docs who rolled over and say it's not worth fighting and that the execs will always get their way. It's worth fighting for more physician control over medicine, and this fight in Eugene was one small victory for physicians.
 
Dr. Kim Ruscher appears to have been forced out of leadership in the continuing purge of local executives who spearheaded this attempt to oust EEP. Kim was appointed to her position by Jim McGovern, who was also forced out following this attempted ousting of EEP.

Again, to all those out there who may be in an SDG facing a similar proposal, don't listen to the corporate docs who rolled over and say it's not worth fighting and that the execs will always get their way. It's worth fighting for more physician control over medicine, and this fight in Eugene was one small victory for physicians.
They signed a 3 year deal. Even if in 3 years they get the boot (looks less likely with all these PeaceHealth people leaving) they still had 3 more years of not being a CMG chump.
 
Another gem of a Democratic Group job listing. Come work in one of the highest medmal states and make less than a PA or NP at $150 an hour! As partner you can even make over $200! 😂😂
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5796.jpeg
    IMG_5796.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 229
Another gem of a Democratic Group job listing. Come work in one of the highest medmal states and make less than a PA or NP at $150 an hour! As partner you can even make over $200! 😂😂
$240/hour for partners is awful. That's a base rate in even bad markets these days.
 
I acknowledge I'm pretty out of the loop (in Academics, although did work community for a few years), but I try to track this stuff closely and educate myself so I can give our residents as good advice as I can.

This job also has full W-2 benefits, which most people (including WCI) would say (very roughly) adds $20-40 to the hourly rate. So now we are talking about a job that pays $260-300 per hour, with benefits, including 401K match and quarterly bonus, and only sees 1.4 pph. That doesn't sound THAT egregious to me?

Again - I defer to those with more community experience
 
Its just hard to say without the entire compensation package.

$275/hr, plus good benefits, plus 401k match (how much? 12%?), plus quarterly bonus (how much? 25k?) at only 1.4pph is nice IMO.

$260/hr, plus poor benefits, plus a 1% 401k match, plus a quarterly bonus that is only $2k isn't all that lovely, though seeing 1.4pph is pretty relaxing...

Is that 1.4pph by yourself, and having 3-4 PA presentations each hour as well?

You just gotta see ALL the numbers to say much...
 
Its just hard to say without the entire compensation package.

$275/hr, plus good benefits, plus 401k match (how much? 12%?), plus quarterly bonus (how much? 25k?) at only 1.4pph is nice IMO.

$260/hr, plus poor benefits, plus a 1% 401k match, plus a quarterly bonus that is only $2k isn't all that lovely, though seeing 1.4pph is pretty relaxing...

Is that 1.4pph by yourself, and having 3-4 PA presentations each hour as well?

You just gotta see ALL the numbers to say much...

There's no way it's 1.4 patients per hour.
No. WAY.
I know this market.
 
Its just hard to say without the entire compensation package.

$275/hr, plus good benefits, plus 401k match (how much? 12%?), plus quarterly bonus (how much? 25k?) at only 1.4pph is nice IMO.

$260/hr, plus poor benefits, plus a 1% 401k match, plus a quarterly bonus that is only $2k isn't all that lovely, though seeing 1.4pph is pretty relaxing...

Is that 1.4pph by yourself, and having 3-4 PA presentations each hour as well?

You just gotta see ALL the numbers to say much...

Not sure why anyone is defending this.

I made more than this before I was even a partner...
 
Florida pay must be pretty nice if this is a garbage job in Florida. That would be a solid middle of the road partnership job in my neck of the woods (Virginia).

Unless this is just typical SDN stuff where everyone got a 41 MCAT and a 270 step 1 as well.

Pasco county = drugged up and 3.0 patients per hour.
I really hate what our country has become.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure why anyone is defending this.

I made more than this before I was even a partner...
Because $275hr x 1400hr = 385k.
If you get that and 100k of bonuses and 40k of retirement match, at 1.4pph… you’re in the 500k range at 1.4pph

I still think it sounds fine?

Again you need to see the real entire compensation and work to make anything…
 
I acknowledge I'm pretty out of the loop (in Academics, although did work community for a few years), but I try to track this stuff closely and educate myself so I can give our residents as good advice as I can.

This job also has full W-2 benefits, which most people (including WCI) would say (very roughly) adds $20-40 to the hourly rate. So now we are talking about a job that pays $260-300 per hour, with benefits, including 401K match and quarterly bonus, and only sees 1.4 pph. That doesn't sound THAT egregious to me?

Again - I defer to those with more community experience

A lot of indentured servitude ($140-160/hr or 190 for nights?) before that all kicks in. Pure hourly so no incentive to do any work on shift for the untouchable old fogeys. Undoubtedly sign charts for your legions of PAs and residents opening yourself up to litigation (OP stated 1.5 pph charts from midlevels). So you're signing charts for nearly 3pph worth of litigation.

To make $240/hr. After a 500k buy in. Yep, the Partnership track is 3 years (5000 hours).

Shocking to see how people here think a job like this is acceptable. The listing is getting absolutely roasted on emdocs jobs. Top comments:

"Horrible rates. Who would even consider a partnership track for one and secondly for these rates!??"

"Absurdly low pay"

"Mid 100s on a multi year partnership track? Gross. New grads please stop falling for these scams"

"Low pay and Cerner! How do I sign up?"

"This made me want to cry."

"The partners must be getting rich off the new guys."

"What in the EM?
Midlevels make “mid-100s.”
Respect your BAFERD colleagues."

I repeat, EM is cooked.
 
Last edited:
Because $275hr x 1400hr = 385k.
If you get that and 100k of bonuses and 40k of retirement match, at 1.4pph… you’re in the 500k range at 1.4pph

I still think it sounds fine?

Again you need to see the real entire compensation and work to make anything…

I mean if you're happy making as a partner what you can make as a cog other places...sure.