(Another) Letter of recommendation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was working once a week, but hours got cut to zero at my home store. Found another store(same company) that needed help. Worked hard to secure a weekly schedule. I've never called out since January, but had some events that I had to attend, which I gave them 2 weeks notice. I've have been late a few times though.

Good to ask the pharmacist for a letter of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I were writing a letter I would ask what my peers thought who previously supervised the person I am supposed to vouch for.

Not referring to you, but it really is a head scratcher when someone claims he wants to do pharmacy school, show zero aptitude for being an even mediocre tech, much less an actual pharmacist, then one day asks you for a rec. Wut

Last edited:
If I were writing a letter I would ask what my peers who previously supervised the person I am supposed to vouch for.

Not referring to you, but it really is a head scratcher when someone claims they want to do pharmacy school, show no aptitude for being an actual pharmacist, then one day ask you for a rec. Wut
Thanks for pointing this out. I never thought about this.

Was working once a week, but hours got cut to zero at my home store. Found another store(same company) that needed help. Worked hard to secure a weekly schedule. I've never called out since January, but had some events that I had to attend, which I gave them 2 weeks notice. I've have been late a few times though.

How does the pharmacist feel about the times you were late? Were they completely your fault, or were they somewhat beyond your control (e.g. car wouldn't start, unexpectedly severe snow storm and plows were late). How does your pharmacist feel about the time off? Was it easy to fill your shift with someone else? I don't think there is anything in here that rules out a letter of recommendation. We have no information about good things you've done in this position.

You want to find someone who can brag about you a little bit.

Car not starting, that is within someone's control. It's called car maintenance. If your job matters so little to you that you are willing to drive some unreliable jalopy around, that's on you.

Also how you notify your people of your absence also matters. It's a dick move to call out 10 minutes before your shift starts or even no-show.

Car not starting, that is within someone's control. It's called car maintenance. If your job matters so little to you that you are willing to drive some unreliable jalopy around, that's on you.

Also how you notify your people of your absence also matters. It's a dick move to call out 10 minutes before your shift starts or even no-show.

Being stuck in snow is also within someone's control. If you care about your job so little that you are willing to live somewhere that can be snowed in, that is on you.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, actually yes it is on you. Fortunately many companies have an attendance policy that is forgiving of one-offs.

I have even walked to work when mass transit completely shut down and there were no taxis, so I am not really sympathetic to people's car troubles (this was while the manhunt was on after the Boston Marathon bombings). You can take the bus or even Uber/Lyft these days depending on the area

Well, actually yes it is on you. Fortunately many companies have an attendance policy that is forgiving of one-offs.

I have even walked to work when mass transit completely shut down and there were no taxis, so I am not really sympathetic to people's car troubles (this was while the manhunt was on after the Boston Marathon bombings). You can take the bus or even Uber/Lyft these days depending on the area
You also live where an Uber will show up within a couple minutes of you making the request, and you live in a location where there is always an Uber available. Car trouble/transit issues aren't totally out of your control, but it helps to be aware of the issue ahead of time. All that said, both examples were based on personal experience. I did wind up getting an Uber, but that option was a luxury I splurged on. It cost me over $100 to attend work that day.

Last edited:
Lol where I live there isn't an uber or a bus operating within 100 miles. I've still only been late like once a year and have never called off a single day in the 4 jobs that I have had. With that being said if there is a blizzard and you are late to your 8 dollar an hour job I don't think people are going to hold it against you. If you walk in 10 minutes late once a week than yeah people are going to notice, and if you call off more than once a year people are going to get angry, especially in pharmacy where people are barely keeping their **** together to begin with.

Reactions: 2 users
You need letters of recommendation for pharmacy school?

lol

You should have thought about this. You are already known as the person who calls out and is late all the time. You will be known as this person 6 years from now, when the pharmacy supervisor looks at your employment history and asks your current and former pharmacy managers what they think about you. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you have any negative qualities you will be known for that. That's retail.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes surely, if you been late a few times its minor haha. Why RX?

How does one works hard to secure weekly schedule to begin with? (so they put some trust in you to do this/were very desperate/didn't contact your other store or they wouldn't) still comes in late for work, and resigns ~2 months after thinks this will go anywhere.

My comment still stands. It depends on your relationship with your boss. People act all tough on here with their perfect work attendance despite blizzards and terrorists. They are a regular James Bond. However, most people are dummies like me sitting in a broken car. :)

Reactions: 1 user