1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

another orgo question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pistolpete007, Jun 13, 2008.

1. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    if u have benzylethane and react it with HBr/ROOR.....

do u get RCH(Br)CH3.....R=benzenegroup

or do u get RCH2CH2Br

the reason why i am confused is because if u have benzylethane and react it with Br2,hv or NBS, ROOR, heat....u get RCH(Br)CH3

HOWEVER if u have methylcyclopentane and react it w/ Br2/hv you get 1-bromo-1-methyl cyclopentane.....however if u react it with HBr/ROOR u get RCH2Br *R=cyclopentane*......

so thats why im wondering if u were to add HBr/ROOR to benzylethane you would get RCH2CH2Br R=benzenegroup.........

and just for the hell of it tell me if this is right as well....methylcyclopentane ---NBS, ROOR, heat--->1-bromo-1-methyl cyclopentane (same as Br2/hv)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am gonna have to say no reaction.
    ROOR with HBr requires an electrophile (double bond). Only way for that to work.
    Through radical, ROOR initiates and 1 electron comes from the double bond and the other from the Br (which lost one of its 8 electrons during radicalization with ROOR). Then a Hydrogen which has 1 electron on it bonds to the other electron from the double bond.

basically, you need a double bond for this to happen.
    Actually I can't think of a situation when a double bond is not needed (so the radicals can work).
    Hope this helps :)

4. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thanks man....is this right tho methylcyclopentane ---NBS, ROOR, heat--->1-bromo-1-methyl cyclopentane (same as Br2/hv)

5. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes, but I don't think you need heat. At least not in my book, but either way that isn't important.