Another Ortho thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoIHaveAShot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just want to know if I have a shot at getting into some Ortho program. I have a few things going for me but a few knocks as well. I'm ranked #1 in my class for the past 2 years and may stay #1 when I graduate in a few weeks. I've done a little research, nothing fancy, and have a few accolades from my school. That's what I have going for me. My knocks are that I'm coming from a private Northeastern school thats not Ivy League and I didn't get a 90+ board score on Part I. I'll apply this year ( I didn't apply last cycle bc of personal reasons) but I'm curious to see where should I apply. Does the fact that I'm #1 get my foot in the door to most programs? Ideally I'd like to do a 3 year Masters program at a top notch program.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's a non-issue. It's amazing what kind of propoganda people will believe.

My knocks are that I'm coming from a private Northeastern school thats not Ivy League

My knocks are that I'm coming from a private Northeastern school thats not Ivy League

6 students matched into the ortho program at my school (Buffalo) to start in July 2007. Of the 6, 2 are international, 2 are from Buffalo, 1 is from UConn, and the last is from Univ. of Louisville.

Don't believe a bunch of pre-dents who claim that you have to go to UPenn or Columbia to have a shot at ortho. While the above results are an isolated example, they certainly cast doubt on the "propaganda".

Members don't see this ad :)
6 students matched into the ortho program at my school (Buffalo) to start in July 2007. Of the 6, 2 are international, 2 are from Buffalo, 1 is from UConn, and the last is from Univ. of Louisville.

Don't believe a bunch of pre-dents who claim that you have to go to UPenn or Columbia to have a shot at ortho. While the above results are an isolated example, they certainly cast doubt on the "propaganda".

Uhhh, only 2 of those people actually "matched" through the matching service. The other 4 were handpicked by the people running the program. Your example is unfortunately full of propaganda, not the ivy league kind, but the political kind. Don't underestimate the importance of politics in ortho.

Uhhh, only 2 of those people actually "matched" through the matching service. The other 4 were handpicked by the people running the program. Your example is unfortunately full of propaganda, not the ivy league kind, but the political kind. Don't underestimate the importance of politics in ortho.

Just to let you know........international dentists are eligible for match if they have a green card, with or without a DDS.they are not"hand picked"....;)

Just to let you know........international dentists are eligible for match if they have a green card, with or without a DDS.they are not"hand picked"....;)

I know that international dentists can match. And actually, I don't think you even need a greencard to enter the match for ortho if you get any interviews. I've seen international students at many ortho programs, including mine, who matched into the residency. However, there are also programs where they advertise that they have x spots available to US students through the match, and y spots for international students that they will take outside of the match. The program that ncalcate is referring to is one of them.

I know that international dentists can match. And actually, I don't think you even need a greencard to enter the match for ortho if you get any interviews. I've seen international students at many ortho programs, including mine, who matched into the residency. However, there are also programs where they advertise that they have x spots available to US students through the match, and y spots for international students that they will take outside of the match. The program that ncalcate is referring to is one of them.

Actually, once a foreign dentist gets his/her DDS, and has a green card he/she is eligible to apply to any program and under the SAME category of "US students" as you would for ANY residency program.:)
If a foreign dentist chooses not to do a DDS,takes the boards straight and decides to go for a residency program through match, that might be another category, not sure though,taking your word for it :)

SO a foreign dental graduate...who did part 1 and 2 CAN apply directly to a residency program, and not go back and do the 2-3 years training?:O

SO a foreign dental graduate...who did part 1 and 2 CAN apply directly to a residency program, and not go back and do the 2-3 years training?:O

yes,and there are only a few states which would allow a foreign dentist to practice without a DDS,but with a US accredited residency program of 2-3 years.but,I do not wish to hijack this thread so lets stick to the OP.you may look it up on the international dental forum or feel free to pm me, :)

Hi,
I just want to know if I have a shot at getting into some Ortho program. I have a few things going for me but a few knocks as well. I'm ranked #1 in my class for the past 2 years and may stay #1 when I graduate in a few weeks. I've done a little research, nothing fancy, and have a few accolades from my school. That's what I have going for me. My knocks are that I'm coming from a private Northeastern school thats not Ivy League and I didn't get a 90+ board score on Part I. I'll apply this year ( I didn't apply last cycle bc of personal reasons) but I'm curious to see where should I apply. Does the fact that I'm #1 get my foot in the door to most programs? Ideally I'd like to do a 3 year Masters program at a top notch program.
Thanks

How did you stay #1 and not even get a 90 on part I? Sounds wierd to me.

How did you stay #1 and not even get a 90 on part I? Sounds wierd to me.

B/c our board scores are not factored into our rank. I was #1 second and third year, years when we were doing a lot of pre-clinical/clinical work and I guess that's where I made up a lot of ground.

B/c our board scores are not factored into our rank. I was #1 second and third year, years when we were doing a lot of pre-clinical/clinical work and I guess that's where I made up a lot of ground.

Sounds like you have the class rank, but not the boards. Usually its the other way around. Anyway, you still have a shot. Just apply to a bunch of schools and I'm sure something will work out.

Good luck!

Yup. I know a couple of foreign dentists that are here at Penn in a residency program who did not enroll in a PASS program first but enrolled directly. And, as others have pointed out, those that go this route can only practice in certain states (I believe Oregon and Washington to be such states, as an example).