Another person with aspergers wanting to go to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tortaspie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to get into med school and I've started studying for the MCAT. I graduate in a year with a degree in medical lab science. I really want to go into pathology, radiology, or possibly anesthesiology. I am a more shy and reserved person (because of Asperger's syndrome that I was diagnosed with), but I find that I'm often more outgoing then some other people, which is ironic.

For example, in situations where I've had to give presentations or speeches in certain classes, I've noticed that there are people who seem more shy than me! A girl and I in one of my classes had to give a presentation together and while I excelled in my part of the presentation, she unfortunately had a hard time speaking.

I know I could get through med school but I still worry about things like being outgoing around patients and not being the "quiet" one in a group.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are quiet doctors, loud doctors and doctors who are somewhere in the middle, just like in most other professions. You don't need to be outgoing - some patients, in fact, may click better with someone who is more reserved - as long as you have the social skills to converse appropriately with patients, other medical professionals, and interviewers.

Reactions: 3 users
How do you think you'll survive interviews with standardized patients, much less the real ones?

I really want to get into med school and I've started studying for the MCAT. I graduate in a year with a degree in medical lab science. I really want to go into pathology, radiology, or possibly anesthesiology. I am a more shy and reserved person (because of Asperger's syndrome that I was diagnosed with), but I find that I'm often more outgoing then some other people, which is ironic.

For example, in situations where I've had to give presentations or speeches in certain classes, I've noticed that there are people who seem more shy than me! A girl and I in one of my classes had to give a presentation together and while I excelled in my part of the presentation, she unfortunately had a hard time speaking.

I know I could get through med school but I still worry about things like being outgoing around patients and not being the "quiet" one in a group.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you think you'll survive interviews with standardized patients, much less the real ones?

I am just curious. Are you referring to a particular thing said in the post. I think this is too early to tell.

What do you mean by interviews? Like asking the patients questions and stuff? The thought of it doesn't bother me very much. I'm sure I could get used to it. I've had jobs where I've had to interact with people a lot (which I know isn't the exact same thing).

I always wonder about the people that go into specialties with little to no patient interaction like RAD and PATH. Surely, some of them prefer those specialties for the lack of patient interaction among other reasons. I know I'm not the only person like this.

It sounds like he/she's good at playing a role, which I think could outweigh the effects of shyness. I'm similar in some respects - I'm generally an introverted and quiet person, but I find it easy to be chatty with patients because I'm playing the role of caregiver.

OP, you'll have to deal with being the quiet one in the group no matter what profession you go into. Quoted for truth:

There are quiet doctors, loud doctors and doctors who are somewhere in the middle, just like in most other professions. You don't need to be outgoing - some patients, in fact, may click better with someone who is more reserved - as long as you have the social skills to converse appropriately with patients, other medical professionals, and interviewers.

I am a more shy and reserved person (because of Asperger's syndrome that I was diagnosed with)

I really want to go into pathology, radiology, or possibly anesthesiology.

I see you've done your homework ;)

It's kind of interesting, because you're sort of answering your own question here - all anyone here can know about you is what you tell us. According to, well, you, you seem pretty normal. You've told us you're able to speak publicly without being overtaken by nerves (when plenty of quote 'normal' people have difficulty with this), and I'm assuming you frequently interact with others in professional settings when you're doing the required EC's (volunteering, clinical experience, research, shadowing docs). Frankly, I don't care that you have Asperger's as long as you really are perfectly comfortable with social interaction. Plenty of people can be shy. Just don't be on interview day. Oh, and don't be too shy with patients, either.

I used to be really bad when I was a little kid. I used to not even be able to talk and for a long time I had no friends. But lucky for me things changed. Things don't always change for everyone unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I get nervous as hell when I have to give a presentation but I'm able to mask it fairly well. I just don't want to be the "quiet" one getting picked on in rotations. I will try to put myself out there and talk and ask questions as much as I can.

I just feel like medical school is the best route for me because I don't think it would be as worth it to purse a phD in medical lab science - not a lot of benefit there in my opinion. I would rather go to med school and try to be a pathologist.

We need to stop associating "introverted", "shy", or "reserved" with "lacks social skills". Not wanting to talk and being incapable of talking are two completely different things. Being more outgoing isn't always a good trait. Being a good listener is just as important.

Reactions: 15 users
ASSS ASSSSS ASSSSSS

Burgers

I never saw anybody getting picked on for being quiet during rotations. You'll just have to work a bit harder to show that you're interested and engaged - with questions, like you said, and with a pleasant facial expression and by taking the initiative to learn about and do tasks involving your patients.

OP, you didn't mention your ability to pick up on social/nonverbal cues. For example, a patient who keeps glancing nervously at her boyfriend before answering your questions.. would you catch that or do you tend to focus only on the words being said? Or if you're in the OR, and the attending/residents seem frustrated by something going on with the case- would you notice that, or keep peppering them with questions? That's more important than the shy vs. outgoing issue, in my opinion.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to be really bad when I was a little kid. I used to not even be able to talk and for a long time I had no friends. But lucky for me things changed. Things don't always change for everyone unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I get nervous as hell when I have to give a presentation but I'm able to mask it fairly well. I just don't want to be the "quiet" one getting picked on in rotations. I will try to put myself out there and talk and ask questions as much as I can.

I just feel like medical school is the best route for me because I don't think it would be as worth it to purse a phD in medical lab science - not a lot of benefit there in my opinion. I would rather go to med school and try to be a pathologist.
What do you mean getting picked on? If you aren't going to talk, most residents and attendings aren't going to sit there pushing you over and over to say something, they have plenty of work to do. You'll end up just getting terrible grades during rotations for not showing interest or contributing anything.

Nobody here can tell you whether you can do it or not without interacting with you in person. You have to make the call of whether you can effectively interact with people in the challenging ways that you will have to as a physician.

OP, you didn't mention your ability to pick up on social/nonverbal cues. For example, a patient who keeps glancing nervously at her boyfriend before answering your questions.. would you catch that or do you tend to focus only on the words being said? Or if you're in the OR, and the attending/residents seem frustrated by something going on with the case- would you notice that, or keep peppering them with questions? That's more important than the shy vs. outgoing issue, in my opinion.

That's the real question @Tortaspie

I have had a handful of students with signs and symptoms of the Autism Spectrum.
They each struggled in their own way as well as in the ways that other students do.
They each matched (some with greater difficulty than others). SOAPing was a real problem.
I remember their frustration over the inability to convey intended meaning. I also remember the acute and chronic frustration of their supervisors and peers.
Even the "patient light" specialties require the skillful use of interpersonal cues, if not on a day to day basis, certainly to match into them.

In short, an abundance of interpersonal perception is well-rewarded in medicine. Each of of us varies in this ability and without a significant sample of behavior it would be difficult to predict your success.

Reactions: 9 users
Even in specialities with little to no patient interactions there can still be many social interactions. I shadowed a pathologist at an academic center who had a lot of interaction with his fellow physicians as well as the medical students and residents under his tutelage. It was more than I expected as an unknowledgeable premed. Another example would be the anesthesiologist I shadowed who helped me see that part of her job is easing anxiety about anesthesia. She did her best to be a calming presence when her patients gave cues that they were nervous and make sure that her patients' fears were assuaged. She also had contact with the various people who are part of any patient's healthcare team. One of the things that I got out of shadowing physicians is that healthcare is a team sport and therefore there is social contact that goes beyond mere physician-patient interactions.

Like @gyngyn has stated, physicians I know and trust have told me that social interaction (in terms of how people perceive your ability to function within their healthcare team) matters a great deal for clinical evaluations in 3rd and 4th year as well as residency matching purposes. I'm not saying this to dissuade you from becoming a physician and I think that most people can do most things that they set their mind to, but it's something to keep in mind going into this career.

Going out on a limb here. 50% of docs have aspergers.... On a serious note, you'll be fine. You'll either get use to interaction or not and go into a specialty that doesn't require much of it, that's all.

I ask this thinking of all my students who fail the COMPLEX PE component. This is the assessment of actual patient interactions. These failures are not from, say, forgetting where to put the stethoscope, but the necessary human element needed in a doctor-patient interaction.

What do you mean by interviews? Like asking the patients questions and stuff? The thought of it doesn't bother me very much. I'm sure I could get used to it. I've had jobs where I've had to interact with people a lot (which I know isn't the exact same thing).

Last edited:
We need to stop associating "introverted", "shy", or "reserved" with "lacks social skills". Not wanting to talk and being incapable of talking are two completely different things. Being more outgoing isn't always a good trait. Being a good listener is just as important.

being a good listener and being outgoing are not exclusive to each other

being a good listener and being outgoing are not exclusive to each other

And I never implied that they were. I said "being outgoing isn't always a good thing", implying that being outgoing but not a good listener isn't which you can logically deduce that being outgoing but a good listener IS a good thing.

Going out on a limb here. 50% of docs have aspergers.... On a serious note, you'll be fine. You'll either get use to interaction or not and go into a specialty that doesn't require much of it, that's all.
Somehow I doubt this.

How often do you have to interact with patients when there's no resident or attending around? Are you just thrown into the midst of it all and expected to perform? If other people with aspergers have done it then I CAN DO IT. Not to sound like an dingus but does it help to be an extremely good looking because that I am.

How often do you have to interact with patients when there's no resident or attending around?

Daily. Do you envision third and fourth year medical students with residents/fellows/attendings following them like a shadow at all times? You're going to pre-round by yourself, see patients in clinic by yourself, do post-op checks by yourself, etc.

Not to sound like an dingus but does it help to be an extremely good looking because that I am.

Hahaha I think that helps with pretty much anything. Unless your patient has histrionic PD I suppose, then maybe not so much.

Hahaha I think that helps with pretty much anything. Unless your patient has histrionic PD I suppose, then maybe not so much.
Also dingus is not what I really meant to say. I actually was referring to a particular type of hole. I just hope I won't have to probe to many old hairy men because then my boyfriend would really get jealous.

Also dingus is not what I really meant to say. I actually was referring to a particular type of hole. I just hope I won't have to probe to many old hairy men because then my boyfriend would really get jealous.

You will have to do this. I am only a M2 and I have already done so many genitorectal exams that I honestly wish they had just given me a box of gloves, pointed to the restroom and told me to "go play."

Last edited:
You will have to do this. I am only a M2 and I have already done so many genitorectal exams that I honestly wish they had just given me a box of gloves, pointed to the restroom and told me to "go play."
I am dying of excitement. Awkwardness awaits.

I wonder how my bf will feel about me fondling another mans balls and such. Oh well, I'll just tell him they were all ugly and fat.

And I never implied that they were. I said "being outgoing isn't always a good thing", implying that being outgoing but not a good listener isn't which you can logically deduce that being outgoing but a good listener IS a good thing.

in that case you haven't explained why being outgoing is not always a good trait. You've simply stated that the ability to listen is also a good trait which I agree with. The reason I made my first post was that it seemed like you were connecting the two traits. You could've just as easily said "being outgoing is not always a good thing. Being hard-working is just as important."

in that case you haven't explained why being outgoing is not always a good trait. You've simply stated that the ability to listen is also a good trait which I agree with. The reason I made my first post was that it seemed like you were connecting the two traits. You could've just as easily said "being outgoing is not always a good thing. Being hard-working is just as important."

No, I said that being "MORE outgoing" (keyword more) isn't always a good thing, NOT that the fact that one is outgoing isn't a good thing. Our society likes to think the more outgoing someone is, the better. I disagree with this point of view.

There comes a point when getting that much energy around other people makes it difficult for one to know when to step down and let others have a chance to speak. People who are more reserved and talk less tend to be better at listening and have less trouble giving others the spotlight.

No, I said that being "MORE outgoing" (keyword more) isn't always a good thing, NOT that the fact that one is outgoing isn't a good thing. Our society likes to think the more outgoing someone is, the better. I disagree with this point of view.

There comes a point when getting that much energy around other people makes it difficult for one to know when to step down and let others have a chance to speak. People who are more reserved and talk less tend to be better at listening and have less trouble giving others the spotlight.
How is this not a similar stereotype to the one you're trying to discredit about introverts? Just like being more of an introvert does not mean one has poor social skills, being more of an extrovert does not mean one is a self-centered person who is bad at listening to others. Sure extremes aren't great in either direction, but you seem to be doing something similar to extroverts that you're accusing other posters of doing to introverts.

Last edited:
No, I said that being "MORE outgoing" (keyword more) isn't always a good thing, NOT that the fact that one is outgoing isn't a good thing.

I don't see how that changes what we are talking about so I can't comment.

There comes a point when getting that much energy around other people makes it difficult for one to know when to step down and let others have a chance to speak..

I don't see how that has to be true. One can be outgoing and respectful as well. Again, they are two different traits. Hate on the negative trait (disrespect) rather than the positive trait (outgoing). I believe that being outgoing doesn't necessarily mean you have good social skills and are a good communicator, but I believe it is one of the pieces of the puzzle to reach that point.

People who are more reserved and talk less tend to be better at listening and have less trouble giving others the spotlight.

How do you know that's true? Why does being reserved and quiet tend to make you better at listening? Again, two different traits.

There are people who absolutely struggle with social situations who are doctors. Of course there is always going to be interaction with others and patients, but there are certain specialties where its not as frequent and not always done person to person. Pathology is an example of a type of field where obviously there are plenty of social interactions but one where often times they don't require the level of patient interaction you see with other specialties and the interaction you do have with others, specifically other faculty, can be easier for those with Asperger's than interaction with patients or other types of social scenes.

One thing no one has discussed yet with Asperger's Syndrome is its far more than a condition where there can be problems with social interaction. I' m no expert on these areas so I'll try to limit talking about them too much but these are things to consider. Med School is far more rigorous and is far more grueling in terms of workload than anything you've probably encountered before. It's important to consider the impact it will have on someone by looking beyond just social issues.

I believe that being outgoing doesn't necessarily mean you have good social skills and are a good communicator

There you go. We agree on the same thing. That's all I meant, except Listening skills specifically (which counts as a good social skill and makes one a good communicator).

but I believe it is one of the pieces of the puzzle to reach that point.

That's what I disagree with. Being outgoing does NOT equate to better social skills or a good communicator.

2 major symptoms of aspergers is lacking empathy and not being able to read nonverbal cues. Many people also have unusual obsessive interests.

Last edited:
I have Aspergers and I have worked insanely hard over the past few years to pick up probably 90% of the things that messed me up the most. Do I still have problems? Yes. Will I have problems in the future... well I at least hope they will be reduced. I can pass as an NT in most situations now and do better than some NTs in others.

Find out what is your main issue and just keep working on it as you will want to have it fixed early or find a way to turn it into a strength. Example, I had bad issues with eye contact for years and years. Once I realized it was that bad, I started watching other things and studied body language. The eye contact issue is mostly fixed. I can usually estimate emotions now through expressions in the eyes. I can certainly speak up and speak to people. I can get an entire life story out of a person very subtly. Just make sure I don't have to be "on" within an hour or two of waking up or else you are going to see the absolute 100% textbook example of an Aspie.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I think it's great that you're interested in medicine despite the roadblocks that are out of your control. I personally have a mild form of ADHD (diagnosed as a child, went off the pills quickly when they made feel frustrated). I've noticed the biggest difficulties I have had are also picking up on subtle social cues and forgetting small things like a lunch box at school. When it comes to your profession though, you will be expected to function at 100% for the good of your patients and colleagues. My biggest weapon for combatting my weakness was vigorous introspection and observation skills.

I'm not expert on the matter but here are my beliefs. I define your problem as the inability to learn skills (social) by the means in which others learn them. That's it. So what you need to do is have a hard look in the mirror and understand about what those skills are and how you can start learning them in whatever way you can. Mild ADHD =/= Aspergers Syndrome but let me share with you some I've tried over the years to improve myself that have led to success.

I think some other posters hit the nail on the head when they said quiet vs talkative is rarely the problem, but perceptive vs. lack of perceptiveness is. As a child, I started out "introverted" but tried being an "extrovert"...but then my friends kept telling me I was being rude/missing things in conversations. Over time, I quieted down and learnt to listen as opposed to focusing on what I had to say. This made it easier for me to pick up on cues and now rarely do I have the problem of missing social cues. Also, another thing I tried was just sitting quietly and watching how others acted. What I noticed was it wasn't what peoples said that was as important but how they said it.

As a result, I found myself better able to perform and be professional while being a quieter person. I also happen to enjoy spending most my free time alone learning new skills or socializing with 1-2 people. If that gives me the label of introvert, so be it. I just do what works for me. The introvert/extrovert schism isn't even real, but was written about by a self declared psychologist who came to his views as a result of surmisation and introspection. After that, the labels stuck because people love to feel special and part of a group. Oh! I'm an INTJ, of course I can take a bunch of details and synthesize a deeper meaning or oh, I'm an ESFP...I'm great in clutch situations.

OP, I do believe that an Asperger's individual can be an exceptional physician but there may be more work involved in becoming one. In the meantime, don't become bogged down with all these stupid labels. Just be humble, recognize you have flaws that will make it more difficult for you, work hard, and do what works for you. That's the way you can be succesful.

Last edited:
I believe that being outgoing doesn't necessarily mean you have good social skills and are a good communicator, but I believe it is one of the pieces of the puzzle to reach that point.

Why does being reserved and quiet tend to make you better at listening? Again, two different traits.

Without making this a huge debate, if you're quiet, you're more able to focus on what someone else is saying as opposed to what you may be about to say. Humans in general suck at multitasking even though some are slightly better at it than others. As for reserved, that's a separate issue that I don't want to touch on because I don't think anyone is trying to support being reserved here.

Now, as for outgoing being one of the pieces of the puzzle, I do think you have a point. You can't simply just stay quiet all day and expect charisma to come out of your mouth at the end of the day. However, then the issue becomes whether you feel a good communicator just means charismatic/confident or clear/accurate. I feel this is at the root of the argument between you and Aerus. I think that being a charismatic/confident speaker takes practice (i.e. Being outgoing to some degree) while being clear/accurate can all be practiced on paper or through one's mind.