Another Post-Sec Exp Question...Sorry.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtritt2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
They seem pretty vague about what all I should put on there. Only relevent info? Like, should I put regular academic scholarships on there? How about jobs that aren't medically related? Should I go to high school and talk about my pre-med club? Little help would be great.

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember the exact wording of the question (I applied last year), but definitely don't include anything from high school. I'd probably have to read the exact question to give more advice. Sorry.

I wouldn't put high school activities since the category is Post-"Secondary" Experiences.
I think it would be fine to put jobs that aren't medically related especially if they are long-term jobs in which you held some responsible position and had dealings with the public. This shows commitment and professonalism. Academic scholarships seem a reasonable enough "experience" to add.

The strange category to me is Hobbies/Avocations. This seems like something that should be included in the essay and not in post-secondary experiences but who am I to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you all think is a good number of experiences to include?

I'm having trouble narrowing down. When I total everything (including honors/awards) I come to 19 things. and that seems like way too many. except i can't seem to reduce it, since i have something to say about each thing (ie, i didnt include anything that i was just a member of, etc).

About how many experiences are you all including? Honestly, is 19 way too many?

Scholarships - I actually forgot to include them on mine so far. I am wondering whether or not to include those token honor societies I joined as a freshman and sophomor (Phi Eta Sigma and Golden Key for a couple). Should I include them? I don't really have much to say about them, and I don't want to leave the comments section blank or say, "well, I thought it was cool, so I sent in the $50 to get my certificate."

No one has been able to give me a clear answer on this but how many post-sec experiences is too many...I have 30 and of course I'll be trimming the fat but when I print it out and look at it, it's all important stuff and I want them to know about it. Anybody have similar problems?

I definately know what everyone is talking about. Personally, I think I decided I'm going to skip the "honors" that you pay 50 bucks for. It's like writing that you got in the Who's Who book, who cares? I think I'm going to put in my scholarships, the big ones anyway. And I might just put the summer job I had that didn't relate to anything medical so they don't think I just got drunk the whole summer. Personally, keyword personally, I think its better to only list a few things that you're really proud of. Having 4 or 5 stand outs will look a lot better than if these good things are muddled down with 10 small scholarships and dumb clubs. I'm probably going to finish with about 7. We'll hope that the few I'm going to put down will stand out.

Mike