Another rank list thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiologyreviews2015

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just another 4th year having a lot of trouble with my rank list, with every school looking the exact same. For me location and a laid back atmosphere is more important wthan prestige, but i still dont want to struggle looking for jobs in 6 years. I'm also from Texas with no regional ties anywhere else. Also Probably looking to come back and work in Texas, but I like the idea of getting out for residency. Just looking for some outside opinions.

In no particular order:
Cornell, jefferson, bidmc, ut houston, baylor houston, baylor Dallas, utsw, ucla, ucsf, hopkins, UW, emory.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA will give you the most laid back atmosphere, desirable location, and 'good enough' prestige.

Last edited:
For Texas, UTSW > UT Houston >= Baylor Houston > Baylor Dallas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory is most similar to UTSW if you want to get out of Texas only briefly. You might feel out of place at Cornell and Jefferson.

First, I would like to congratulate you on receiving so many interviews from great programs. You have done very well and I wish you best of luck with the match.

UCSF, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, UW, Emory, Jefferson

Just another 4th year having a lot of trouble with my rank list, with every school looking the exact same. For me location and a laid back atmosphere is more important wthan prestige, but i still dont want to struggle looking for jobs in 6 years. I'm also from Texas with no regional ties anywhere else. Also Probably looking to come back and work in Texas, but I like the idea of getting out for residency. Just looking for some outside opinions.

In no particular order:
Cornell, jefferson, bidmc, ut houston, baylor houston, baylor Dallas, utsw, ucla, ucsf, hopkins, UW, emory.

A place like UCSF and Hopkins will get you a job back home with little difficulty, and give you flexibility to go elsewhere should you decide not to go back to Texas (as opposed to doing residency in Texas). Based on my experience during interviews and with friends who are at those 2 residencies, they aren't exactly laid-back, but you get unparalleled training. UW, UTSW, Emory, and Baylor had cool residents, but they too seemed pretty tired, but it could be this is just par for the course for academic centers with multiple hospitals to cover.

I agree with another poster who said UCLA is laid-back - I'd say that and Baylor Dallas are the two most laid back places on your list. The culture in LA is certainly different than that in Texas, for better or for worse.

Thank you guys very much for the help! Does anyone have any info about Cornell, I felt like that was one of my favorites on the interview trail, but again it's hard to gauge after a single day.

Cornell is chill and is underrated. Those who think the other program is the best in NYC is 5 to 10 years behind.

Thank you guys very much for the help! Does anyone have any info about Cornell, I felt like that was one of my favorites on the interview trail, but again it's hard to gauge after a single day.

My interview day impression was that Cornell will also give you the chill (at least relative to the rest of the northeast) and the location, with as much prestige as UCLA. Institutions aside, the feel of NYC and its people is quite different from LA and its people. You'll have to deal with the dissonance of a chill program in a really not-chill city. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/02/01/n-y-c-to-l-a-to-n-y-c-to-l-a-ad-infinitum

Cornell is chill and is underrated. Those who think the other program is the best in NYC is 5 to 10 years behind.

Lol, seen this exact same comment with the same wording on at least five different threads. We got a serious NYU hater or Cornell booster on our hands.

For Texas, UTSW > UT Houston >= Baylor Houston > Baylor Dallas.

This. Rank UTSW, UT Houston and Baylor Houston at the top if your goal is PP in Texas in the future. All of these will train you well. After that its about having local connections.

As a non-Texan who was lucky enough to interview at UTSW, I left very impressed with the program and its trajectory. Wouldn't be surprised if it was top 10 by the time we're finishing residency.

If your goal is practicing in Texas, I would rank UCSF, UTSW, Hopkins as your top three.

Will also second the other poster about UCLA. Felt like they had a great balance of location, prestige, and chill residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
A place like UCSF and Hopkins will get you a job back home with little difficulty, and give you flexibility to go elsewhere should you decide not to go back to Texas (as opposed to doing residency in Texas). Based on my experience during interviews and with friends who are at those 2 residencies, they aren't exactly laid-back, but you get unparalleled training. UW, UTSW, Emory, and Baylor had cool residents, but they too seemed pretty tired, but it could be this is just par for the course for academic centers with multiple hospitals to cover.

I agree with another poster who said UCLA is laid-back - I'd say that and Baylor Dallas are the two most laid back places on your list. The culture in LA is certainly different than that in Texas, for better or for worse.

Wrong statement.

Just because you FEEL something will work does not mean that it will work.

Reactions: 1 user
This NYC duel is very interesting. Curious what the above statement is based on. My feeling was, NYU probably offers more robust training, and more potential for academics. Cornell is famous for the cushiness and friendliness, but rumors are some people may need a little catch up after they graduate.

And those who are going to recruit us in the future are at least 5-10 yrs ahead of us, I guess.

Ranking UCSF, UCLA, UW, Jefferson (with others in between) in that order myself. Basing this mostly on location (want to end up in california) and how happy/satisfied residents seemed with the program. UCSF is a 'prestigious' program but overall it felt more laid-back than a lot of the northeast programs I interviewed at, with Jefferson being the possible exception.

Honestly I think I'm more laid back than the average radiology applicant. I was tempted to rank programs by what I considered most cush, but with everything I've been hearing about the job market I didn't feel comfortable ranking based on that. Hopefully it pays off with the chill academic job in California.

This NYC duel is very interesting. Curious what the above statement is based on. My feeling was, NYU probably offers more robust training, and more potential for academics. Cornell is famous for the cushiness and friendliness, but rumors are some people may need a little catch up after they graduate.

And those who are going to recruit us in the future are at least 5-10 yrs ahead of us, I guess.

I think the last sentence hits the nail on the head. Go to school in the area and that seemed to be the view of my advisors. Both are strong programs, but I think NYU is still more highly regarded by the old guard.

Ranking UCSF, UCLA, UW, Jefferson (with others in between) in that order myself. Basing this mostly on location (want to end up in california) and how happy/satisfied residents seemed with the program. UCSF is a 'prestigious' program but overall it felt more laid-back than a lot of the northeast programs I interviewed at, with Jefferson being the possible exception.

Honestly I think I'm more laid back than the average radiology applicant. I was tempted to rank programs by what I considered most cush, but with everything I've been hearing about the job market I didn't feel comfortable ranking based on that. Hopefully it pays off with the chill academic job in California.

"Honestly I think I'm more laid back than the average radiology applicant." Haha good one. Someone who pulled off amazing enough stats to get those super competitive interviews thinks they're more laid back than the average rads applicant. You've probably been on mostly if not all top tier interviews that you've never even met the "average" rads applicant. Trust me, a ton of us are lazy as ****

Reactions: 1 user
"Honestly I think I'm more laid back than the average radiology applicant." Haha good one. Someone who pulled off amazing enough stats to get those super competitive interviews thinks they're more laid back than the average rads applicant. You've probably been on mostly if not all top tier interviews that you've never even met the "average" rads applicant. Trust me, a ton of us are lazy as ****

I'm no 260+ applicant, I think I got lucky and had a great mentor/LOR from someone relevant in California radiology. But fair enough, I suppose I meant the average rads applicant that I interviewed with. Can't speak so broadly about the average applicant. I seemed to be (relatively) less interested in research than many of the people I met. I definitely recall some people with intense personalities even if a ton of us are lazy as****s haha.

In a similar situation as you struggling on where to rank UTSW and UCSF. Felt like UCSF residents were more down to earth but seemed like they were tired from commuting to different sites everyday. I LOVE Dallas and hope to settle down there one day. I hate how all the advice i've been getting is "follow your gut". I know I'm fortunate to receive the opportunity to go to UCSF but don't know if its worth the financial burden of living in SF, quality of life would be much better in Dallas. Ugh someone help

Care to comment a bit more on your friends experiences in these programs?

OP here. So you're saying if I leave Texas for residency, coming back is difficult? I was thinking more along the lines of academics at the moment if that changes anything.

OP here. So you're saying if I leave Texas for residency, coming back is difficult? I was thinking more along the lines of academics at the moment if that changes anything.

All of us are speculating/recycling what we've been told. Shark is the only attending posting in this thread, as far as I know. He has some previous comments about the significance of local programs versus national names.

I had similar concerns for a different region. I would suggest trying to talk to local advisors as how important it is to stay local may vary by region.

If you know you want to stay in Texas, UTSW would probably open as many doors as UCSF. The only difference is that UCSF could open those same doors in any other state in the US. If you are 100% certain you want to be in Texas and work in academics, UTSW might not be a bad choice. Seems like they have the resources and the aspiration to break into the top tier of academic programs, if not the reputation quiet yet.

Consider that you're unlikely to get an academic job anywhere from Cornell. They're not highly ranked or a research powerhouse...

I'm going to add some generic advice which applies. If you want to break in to a geographic region (particularly private practice and to a lesser degree academics), the best strategy is to go to a program in that region (if possible, the best and/or largest program). If you are dead set on Texas, go to UTSW. If you want to go to NY, go to Cornell or NYU, etc.

HOWEVER, there are a few programs which have such an excellent reputation and nationwide network of alumni that they might supercede this rule. The number of programs to which is applies is probably 5 or less. It includes UCSF, MGH, WashU (MIR), Hopkins, and I'll let you guys argue if any others fit in there. If you have the chance to go to an elite program, you should probably take it, even if you think you might end up in PP in a small town somewhere. Any lesser program (even some excellent programs), and you're probably better off being in the geographic region you want to end up in.

Here is a more practical advice --
I am from Texas. I chose Texas and I am ending up in Texas for work. Being IN Texas helps make connections which are vital for good jobs. If you claim to be from Texas, you know Texans stay local.

Now you will be fine if you choose to leave and come back, but atleast having fellowship here in Texas would help. Local groups know local chairmen.

cheers.

Here is a more practical advice --
I am from Texas. I chose Texas and I am ending up in Texas for work. Being IN Texas helps make connections which are vital for good jobs. If you claim to be from Texas, you know Texans stay local.

Now you will be fine if you choose to leave and come back, but atleast having fellowship here in Texas would help. Local groups know local chairmen.

cheers.

Just to kind of add to this...I've lived my whole life in the Midwest and no one really knows UCSF/UCSD or BWH and other NE programs outside of MGH. But, "lesser on SDN" programs like Mayo, Northwestern, and Cleveland Clinic are well known names. I know you'll say but not in the rads world! Yeah, maybe not in the high-end rads academic world but most community rads docs and especially other physicians all receive WashU, Mayo, NW, CCF with more praise than UCSF or NE programs. Also, not that this matters much but any random non-medical person in the Midwest only knows Mayo and Cleveland Clinic as high level hospitals. You MIGHT hear people mention WashU/Barnes or NW if you're in IL/MO.

I'm not trying to make the coastal SDN people explode, but some programs aren't received as well in the Midwest likely due to the fact that people in Cali or the NE don't train there and then move to the Midwest so they are an unknown quantity.

I think if you 100% know where you want to work/live when you're done then you should go to the "best" training program in that region. It shows your loyalty to some extent as well.

Consider that you're unlikely to get an academic job anywhere from Cornell. They're not highly ranked or a research powerhouse...

In 3 classes of graduates I count 12 academic jobs, albeit 10 are Cornell-affiliated.

Class of 2014 - current jobs (6 of 9 academic)
Maya Hartman - breast/body at NYP (Cornell)
Joshua Lantos - neuro at NYP (Cornell)
Kyungmouk Steve Lee - IR at NYP (Cornell)
Benjamin May - IR at NYP (Cornell)
Chimere Mba-Jonas - MSK, PP in Westchester, NY
Sreejit Nair - IR, PP? in NY? MS? CA? VA?
Daniel Rosenbaum - peds at NYP (Cornell)
Andrew Schweitzer - neuro at NYP (Cornell)
Sarah Stamler - breast/body, PP in Miami, FL

Class of 2013 - current jobs (3 of 9 academic)
Scott Kennedy - MSK, PP? in PA?
Elizabeth Watson - breast/body at Baystate (Tufts)
Jessica Hayward - breast at UCSF
Kiran Sheikh - breast, PP in Trumbull, CT
Christian Geannette - MSK at HSS (Cornell)
Tiffany Newman - body?, PP in NYC (instructor at Cornell)
Bryan Jeun - neuro, PP in Springfield, MO
Jonathan Ghassemi - ???
Jennifer Shih - neuro, PP in San Jose, CA

Class of 2012 - current jobs (3 of 9 academic)
Keren Baron- breast, PP in NYC
J. Levi Chazen - neuro at NYP (Cornell)
Peiweng Chen - neuro, PP in Asheville, NC
Shari Jawetz - MSK at HSS (Cornell)
David Kim - neuro, CEO of sales analytics startup??
Katharine Lampen-Sachar - breast, PP in Miami, FL
Michael Loftus - MSK at NYP (Cornell)
Jan Mazura - neuro, PP/telerads/VA in San Francisco, CA
Neil Shah - MSK, PP in Mount Kisco, NY (previously at NYP Cornell)

In 3 classes of graduates I count 12 academic jobs, albeit 10 are Cornell-affiliated.

Class of 2014 - current jobs (6 of 9 academic)
Maya Hartman - breast/body at NYP (Cornell)
Joshua Lantos - neuro at NYP (Cornell)
Kyungmouk Steve Lee - IR at NYP (Cornell)
Benjamin May - IR at NYP (Cornell)
Chimere Mba-Jonas - MSK, PP in Westchester, NY
Sreejit Nair - IR, PP? in NY? MS? CA? VA?
Daniel Rosenbaum - peds at NYP (Cornell)
Andrew Schweitzer - neuro at NYP (Cornell)
Sarah Stamler - breast/body, PP in Miami, FL

Class of 2013 - current jobs (3 of 9 academic)
Scott Kennedy - MSK, PP? in PA?
Elizabeth Watson - breast/body at Baystate (Tufts)
Jessica Hayward - breast at UCSF
Kiran Sheikh - breast, PP in Trumbull, CT
Christian Geannette - MSK at HSS (Cornell)
Tiffany Newman - body?, PP in NYC (instructor at Cornell)
Bryan Jeun - neuro, PP in Springfield, MO
Jonathan Ghassemi - ???
Jennifer Shih - neuro, PP in San Jose, CA

Class of 2012 - current jobs (3 of 9 academic)
Keren Baron- breast, PP in NYC
J. Levi Chazen - neuro at NYP (Cornell)
Peiweng Chen - neuro, PP in Asheville, NC
Shari Jawetz - MSK at HSS (Cornell)
David Kim - neuro, CEO of sales analytics startup??
Katharine Lampen-Sachar - breast, PP in Miami, FL
Michael Loftus - MSK at NYP (Cornell)
Jan Mazura - neuro, PP/telerads/VA in San Francisco, CA
Neil Shah - MSK, PP in Mount Kisco, NY (previously at NYP Cornell)

pretty sure the ... at the end of the post implied sarcasm

Just to kind of add to this...I've lived my whole life in the Midwest and no one really knows UCSF/UCSD or BWH and other NE programs outside of MGH. But, "lesser on SDN" programs like Mayo, Northwestern, and Cleveland Clinic are well known names. I know you'll say but not in the rads world! Yeah, maybe not in the high-end rads academic world but most community rads docs and especially other physicians all receive WashU, Mayo, NW, CCF with more praise than UCSF or NE programs. Also, not that this matters much but any random non-medical person in the Midwest only knows Mayo and Cleveland Clinic as high level hospitals. You MIGHT hear people mention WashU/Barnes or NW if you're in IL/MO.

I'm not trying to make the coastal SDN people explode, but some programs aren't received as well in the Midwest likely due to the fact that people in Cali or the NE don't train there and then move to the Midwest so they are an unknown quantity.

I think if you 100% know where you want to work/live when you're done then you should go to the "best" training program in that region. It shows your loyalty to some extent as well.

I will be surprised if a radiologist or a doctor does not know UCSF or BWH.

For general population a BWH graduate can call himself a "Harvard" graduate. Again I will be surprised if people don't know about it.

Loved UCLA. Feel free to rank it low, more potential spots for me!

UCLA is a very good fit for someone who wants to stay in Southern California after he/she is done. Finding a good job in Southern California is very hard for someone who is not doing his/her training at a local program even if it is Hopkins or MGH. It is its own island.

UCLA is a very good fit for someone who wants to stay in Southern California after he/she is done. Finding a good job in Southern California is very hard for someone who is not doing his/her training at a local program even if it is Hopkins or MGH. It is its own island.

Exactly. The UCLA interview day for me, as well as for several of my co-applicants not from the area, prominently featured one division chief grilling us about our interest in the program, overtly disbelieving any explanation we gave. The interview ended with a message that I should notify the PD if I am actually interested. The PD also ended his interview by saying to let him know if we want to go there when we sit down to make our rank lists.

Exactly. The UCLA interview day for me, as well as for several of my co-applicants not from the area, prominently featured one division chief grilling us about our interest in the program, overtly disbelieving any explanation we gave. The interview ended with a message that I should notify the PD if I am actually interested. The PD also ended his interview by saying to let him know if we want to go there when we sit down to make our rank lists.

Hmm, from the east coast with no california ties and this wasn't my experience. The PD did imply to let them know if you want to end up there, but I wasn't grilled by any interviewer.

As a person who is actively involved in recruitment for my private practice group in SoCali, even I myself sometimes get surprised that how difficult it is for outstanding out-of-state applicants to break into this market. Choosing between UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, MGH, BWH, NYU, Duke and other top programs should heavily depend on the location that you want to end up in the future.

Yeah the PD was pretty overt about wanting post-interview communication. I ended up sending my letter to rank them first, probably would have anyways. I didn't face any grilling either, but I'm from California.

Had a similar experience at UCSF and UCSD, but I kind of liked it. It makes sense that they would want residents who want to be there and I appreciate the openness, even if it is a little blunt.

Had a similar experience at UCSF and UCSD, but I kind of liked it. It makes sense that they would want residents who want to be there and I appreciate the openness, even if it is a little blunt.

Any idea what the time frame to let them know is? I'm still really struggling which program I want to rank #1 and haven't sent out any emails.

This process is a nightmare being that I'm the most indecisive human alive. My #1 changes by the hour.

Seeing as rank lists are due on the 24th, I would think you should do it ASAP.
This is the date of applicants thought. The programs have an earlier date right. I think most programs have finalized there rank lists already and you are already a few weeks too late on any chance of your love letters making any sort of difference.

This is the date of applicants thought. The programs have an earlier date right. I think most programs have finalized there rank lists already and you are already a few weeks too late on any chance of your love letters making any sort of difference.

Haha you are such a gunner. Programs have the same date, ie, two weeks from now.

Haha you are such a gunner. Programs have the same date, ie, two weeks from now.
not being a gunner, I'm an R1. that's why I asked it as a question, I wasn't sure. I just thought I had heard that before. Anyways I know my program had their final rank meeting with the full committee a few weeks ago. So I don't know if the love letter would make a difference now. Couldn't hurt though.

If I can't decide on a #1, is it that big of a deal if I don't send a love letter? My interviews went really well at my top choices. I sent "thank you" emails, they sent positive replies. Shouldn't that be enough and then let the matching system take care of the rest?

If I can't decide on a #1, is it that big of a deal if I don't send a love letter? My interviews went really well at my top choices. I sent "thank you" emails, they sent positive replies. Shouldn't that be enough and then let the matching system take care of the rest?

I'm not going to send one. I didn't even send thank you emails. If the program ranks others higher because of love letters, they're not a program that wants the best people. I want to be a part of a program that has the best people. Truly excellent programs will rank by true preferences.

It doesn't hurt to send one but you should feel no obligation to do so. I am too indecisive and my couples match situation precludes making meaningful promises. If I say I'm ranking UCSF #1, and UCSF rads ranks me to match, but UCSF [whatever specialty] doesn't rank my partner to match, and we don't match there, I don't want UCSF rads to hate me if they neglected to notice that I was couples matching (which was apparently a surprise to the PD on interview day).

I'm not going to send one. I didn't even send thank you emails. If the program ranks others higher because of love letters, they're not a program that wants the best people. I want to be a part of a program that has the best people. Truly excellent programs will rank by true preferences.

It doesn't hurt to send one but you should feel no obligation to do so. I am too indecisive and my couples match situation precludes making meaningful promises. If I say I'm ranking UCSF #1, and UCSF rads ranks me to match, but UCSF [whatever specialty] doesn't rank my partner to match, and we don't match there, I don't want UCSF rads to hate me if they neglected to notice that I was couples matching (which was apparently a surprise to the PD on interview day).

As a couple, we sent our #1 an email with the contact info of the other person's department asking them to reach out if they liked us and notify the other department. We sent a similar email to all the programs we would like to match at...up to like our top 8 or 9. Just a paragraph of what I liked about the program and a paragraph asking them to contact the other department's PD if the feeling was mutual.

Yeah I agree. However, I am not couples matching. I am too indecisive right now. I should have sent the email last week (month). So I am going to be silent.

Haha reading between the lines: Hey UCSF, hope you're listening if you give a hoot about this