Another simple applicant question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lohwey1210

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools incorporate GPAs from vocational schools?

...If the vocational school is accredited?

...Even if the vocational school credits didn't carry over to the University attended after vocational degree was acquired?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If the school is accredited as a “college” then you must submit. Additionally, the 2019 AMCAS Applicant Guide now states that you must report any post secondary institution that you attendef. If these vocational schools required HS Diplomia then they may be considered post secondary. Contact AMCAS to clarify

What if the school is accredited but the credit awarded is a CEU?

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE.
I spoke to AMCAS.
After a brief pause, the fellow on the phone (contact center) assured me of the following:If a college is accredited, and they issue grades for each class (each with affixed credit hours), then all grades made at said college will be added into the AMCAS GPA.
In other words, my culinary school grades will count (even though they will not count at the undergraduate university from which I will be graduating).
I will be following up with AMCAS again as I approach my application date, just to ensure that I wasn't given misinformation.

Probably not but if the CEU are part of official college offering sponsored by the school then you might

Hm. I feel like CEUs are typically audited? Which would mean that no grade is issued; ergo, no affect on GPA... I could absolutely be wrong.

Hey, sorry to drag this back up... Have we established that culinary school grades definitely will be accounted for in ACMAS GPA calculation? I have an AA in Culinary from the Art Institute of Charleston (one of the many branches that has since been shut down). It was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Honestly, my GPA from culinary school only increases my overall GPA, so it looks nice even if it means nothing. Just curious.

Hey, sorry to drag this back up... Have we established that culinary school grades definitely will be accounted for in ACMAS GPA calculation? I have an AA in Culinary from the Art Institute of Charleston (one of the many branches that has since been shut down). It was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Honestly, my GPA from culinary school only increases my overall GPA, so it looks nice even if it means nothing. Just curious.

This seems to be infrequent enough of an occurrence that you should probably just contact AMCAS and ask.

Reactions: 1 user