Anthem doesn't want to pay for anesthesia during cataract surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With modern cataract technique, I think topical alone + PO valium is totally reasonable. It's minimally more invasive than LASIK nowadays. Our involvement is largely vestigial, left over from the time of retrobulbar blocks and strapping racquet balls to patients faces.

Although now I've gone and ruined that cataract gravy train we've all be riding. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With modern cataract technique, I think topical alone + PO valium is totally reasonable. It's minimally more invasive than LASIK nowadays. Our involvement is largely vestigial, left over from the time of retrobulbar blocks and strapping racquet balls to patients faces.

Although now I've gone and ruined that cataract gravy train we've all be riding. :rolleyes:

I've done a total of 0 cataracts in residency. I don't even know how to do them

Reactions: 1 user

Little do you know, you've been practicing every time you have a day off from residency.

Sit there and watch TV on the big screen. It's riveting.

Reactions: 6 users
In my experience there’s never been a gravy train, and the anthem thing is a total non-issue. I’ve done my fair share of anesthesia for cataracts between residency and being an attending, and can probably count on one hand the number that are non-Medicare.

That said, if ophtho wants to do them w topical and Valium, fine by me. Most of us can find something better to do with our lives than get paid Medicare rates for hand-holding anesthesia.

Reactions: 5 users
In my experience there’s never been a gravy train, and the anthem thing is a total non-issue. I’ve done my fair share of anesthesia for cataracts between residency and being an attending, and can probably count on one hand the number that are non-Medicare.

That said, if ophtho wants to do them w topical and Valium, fine by me. Most of us can find something better to do with our lives than get paid Medicare rates for hand-holding anesthesia.

It’s not ophtho. They like us there. But we won’t be there if we don’t get paid.

2 of Versed, 30mg Prop for the retrobulbar block, try to stay awake.

Exactly, I'm not a fan especially of the truckloads of preops of sick ass patients getting nothing more than 1 or 2 of versed and a small bolus of propofol or alfenta. Our skills can be used in better situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of our guys block cataracts anymore. Straight drops.

I work with a 2 retina guys who talk their patients through the block. No propofol necessary.

You only give 30 mg prop for a retrobulbar? Damn dude at least give something for analgesia. That's basically like giving someone a back massage then stabbing them in the eye. We do an prop:alfentanil:lido mixture that works pretty well.

can’t say I disagree. Topical works just fine. I usually give 25 mcg of fentanyl so I can say I did “sedation”. ( I know, you don’t have to give anything to bill for MAC but whatever, it makes me feel better). Being present at a cataract makes about as much sense as being present at an adult dental filling.

Reactions: 1 users
You only give 30 mg prop for a retrobulbar? Damn dude at least give something for analgesia. That's basically like giving someone a back massage then stabbing them in the eye. We do an prop:alfentanil:lido mixture that works pretty well.
Ah yes, the old "6:2:2" method.

Solo alfenta is more than enough.

I work with a 2 retina guys who talk their patients through the block. No propofol necessary.

"Ok ma'am just hold steady while I bring this big ass needle right towards your eye.."

pretty standard here for us to do either sub tenon or peribulbar block. some of us give some sedation, some do not.

if they have a cataract they don’t see the needle coming

Reactions: 2 users
"Ok ma'am just hold steady while I bring this big ass needle right towards your eye.."
Three guys we work with give po benzo preop, then eye drops. Of my last 100 patients or so, I gave one of them 1mg midaz, and that was for a longer corneal transplant.

They do just fine just without blocks and extra sedation.

The comfort of the patient is directly related to how slick the ophthalmologist is doing the block. We have eye docs that range from super gentle (i.e.: wouldn't wake a sleeping baby) to caveman status.

As an aside, I'm shocked to hear that so many of your guys' eye docs are still doing retrobulbar blocks for straightforward cataracts...

The comfort of the patient is directly related to how slick the ophthalmologist is doing the block. We have eye docs that range from super gentle (i.e.: wouldn't wake a sleeping baby) to caveman status.

As an aside, I'm shocked to hear that so many of your guys' eye docs are still doing retrobulbar blocks for straightforward cataracts...

What block do you do?

Pretty sure they’re actually peribulbar not retrobulbar

I wonder if this move is maybe intended to force ophthos to switch to topical anesthesia.

Blocks for cataracts is horse and buggy stuff, man.

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if this move is maybe intended to force ophthos to switch to topical anesthesia.

Blocks for cataracts is horse and buggy stuff, man.
There are certain cases and patients where a block is preferred over topical by the surgeon and actually helps them perform the procedure . Many times when the ophtho sees the patient in their office, they know whether it's better to book them for a block vs topical

most of us can find something better to do with our lives than get paid Medicare rates for hand-holding anesthesia.

I did a list one day where my borderline senile consultant wanted to literally hand hold the patient under the drapes. The nurse did the same.
It took them 10 mins to figure out they were hand holding each other under the drapes and not the patient's!!

Reactions: 7 users
There are certain cases and patients where a block is preferred over topical by the surgeon and actually helps them perform the procedure . Many times when the ophtho sees the patient in their office, they know whether it's better to book them for a block vs topical

For these cases you could justify medical necessity and the insurance company will pay.

Every needle looks huge when it's going into your eye. Knock me out please.

He instructs the patient to look up and injects below so the patient doesn’t see the needle;)

It’s really no different than the blocks we do preop. Many times which I do without sedation.

We do the blocks.
they're very safe blocks, take about 1 minute and give excellent akinesis.
the consultant (attending) ophthalmologists don't need it, the trainees do

I did a list one day where my borderline senile consultant wanted to literally hand hold the patient under the drapes. The nurse did the same.
It took them 10 mins to figure out they were hand holding each other under the drapes and not the patient's!!

They were probably also playing footsie under the table

Here is my take on this ruling by Anthem:

1. Like in most things there are good and bad Optho surgeons. The good ones work at surgicenters and do topical for their cases 99% of the time. They take about 10-15 min to do the case. For them, this ruling doesn't cause much of a concern.

2. The bad Optho surgeons work at hospitals. They have not improved their techniques since 1990 or earlier. They need Retrobulbar blocks because they lack the skill necessary to do the case under topical. So, they transfer the "risk" of the case to the poor, dumb-ass Anesthesiologist who gets paid NOTHING for doing the block. The Optho surgeon being limited in skill demands these blocks for almost every case. When a complication occurs he/she blames the block and not their poor surgical skill.
I've seen these "surgeons" take 90 minutes or more to do a cataract.

3. The "slick" Optho surgeon can do his own block without sedation (or with minimal sedation) from time to time as needed (should be less than 10% of cases).

Overall, this ruling is a blessing to the hospital based Anesthesiologist and the patients. Now, those who can't cut the mustard must retire (as they should) or send the patient to a better Optho surgeon.

It is high time the ASA comes out against Anesthesiologists doing RBBs for these cases as Medicare pays us nothing and this is the responsibility of the Optho surgeon.

Reactions: 3 users
Retrobulbar Anesthesia

RBA was the “gold standard” for eye blocks from the beginning of the 20th century until the formalization of PBA and STA in the 1990s. RBA is achieved by injecting a small volume of local anesthetic agent (3–5 ml) inside the muscular cone. The main hazard of RBA is the risk of injury to the globe, the rectus muscles, or one of the many vulnerable elements located in the muscular cone. Near the apex, these structures are packed in a very small volume and are fixed by the tendon of Zinn, which prevents them from moving away from the needle. Currently, RBA is used less frequently because of these potential complications.

Regional Anesthesia and Eye Surgery | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

Completely agree with above. When topical is given plus 1mg versed. We are unnecessary. Just paper work monkeys.

If they are doing peribulbar or retrobulbar blocks I understand being involved. Just don't know why these still need to be done, but, hey, I work in academics.

That said, 85% of our eye cases are topical only and I still have to do a pre op evaluation, MAC attestation, and post op. Just unnecessary IMO.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

This must be a concern for ophtho guys not us! Who really wants to fight on behalf of ophthalmologists? If they can handle severe bradycardia that happens once a while then good luck to them!

Retrobulbar Anesthesia

RBA was the “gold standard” for eye blocks from the beginning of the 20th century until the formalization of PBA and STA in the 1990s. RBA is achieved by injecting a small volume of local anesthetic agent (3–5 ml) inside the muscular cone. The main hazard of RBA is the risk of injury to the globe, the rectus muscles, or one of the many vulnerable elements located in the muscular cone. Near the apex, these structures are packed in a very small volume and are fixed by the tendon of Zinn, which prevents them from moving away from the needle. Currently, RBA is used less frequently because of these potential complications.

Regional Anesthesia and Eye Surgery | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

No one should be doing retrobulbar blocks.
I feel like no one is listening ...

It’s topical, or sub tenon or peribulbar.

Both peribulbar and subtenon are MUCH safer than retrobulbar.

For what it’s worth I hate doing eye blocks, but it’s quite the gravy train in private practice here.

Sure, but cataracts aren’t one of them. Modern phacoemulsification technique makes blocks completely unnecessary.
Well then I guess you know more than the ophthos. Bc they tell me firsthand the blocks help with specific patients and with longer and more complex cases, even cataracts. It's actually quicker for them to do the case with topical but they choose to request a block for certain cases

IMO the bigger question is what do you do with the surgical centers that house these eye factories... ? Have no anesthesiologist anywhere on the premises? In a hospital you are available for a bail out in an unforeseen emergency, but now you are talking a CRNA (an eye center CRNA at that) and an eye surgeon as the only providers.. what if something terrible were to happen?

In a given day in a busy eye center (which I have unfortunately spent quite a few days at), if I do 40 cases, ill typically cancel 1 due to things like: new onset afib, extreme bradycardia to 30s, sugar in the 500s, etc... but I am ready to DEAL with those things.. im not just going to call an ambulance and delay appropriate care for these people in these tough situations.. there was even a code (yes it was 8 years ago) after a block that required intubation and resuscitation.

While I completely agree that we are not needed most of the time, if you are not in a hospital, doing high volume cataract surgery for people who are 80,90 with uncontrolled medical problems and an eye surgeon h and p, eventually something bad is going to happen.. As the owner of that lucrative center, I'm going to want to be able to say I did everything I could to prevent that person from dying/being harmed even if its once every 6 months or 1 year

Well then I guess you know more than the ophthos. Bc they tell me firsthand the blocks help with specific patients and with longer and more complex cases, even cataracts. It's actually quicker for them to do the case with topical but they choose to request a block for certain cases

Well many ophthos never need to block their cataracts and take 10min while others always block and routinely take an hour. I know which ones I’d let operate on my eyes.

Reactions: 2 users