Anthro and Theatre undergrad considering med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vicar Amelia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had an undergrad career rife with uncertainty but as I near graduation this Spring some options about my future have shown themselves with a little more clarity. Some background: I am a double-major getting a degree in Anthropology and Theatre and have a limited amount of hard science classes. I am however planning to get a certificate in Forensic Science which will comprise basic chemistry and biomedical chemistry classes, and classes like anatomy and the "Human Skeleton." I have a stellar GPA (3.9) but no applicable internships or extracurricular activities. I have also completed college level algebra courses, but nothing beyond that in math.

What steps should I be taking to ensure admission into med school? Is a certificate program like this helpful considering my lack of hard science credentials? Is there a different route or trajectory I should be considering?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How about actually finding out if you like being around sick and injured people, and seeing what a doctors' day is like?
Start doing patient contact volunteering, and clinician shadowing. And non-clinical volunteering as well. You need to show off your altruism.

Get this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

I have had an undergrad career rife with uncertainty but as I near graduation this Spring some options about my future have shown themselves with a little more clarity. Some background: I am a double-major getting a degree in Anthropology and Theatre and have a limited amount of hard science classes. I am however planning to get a certificate in Forensic Science which will comprise basic chemistry and biomedical chemistry classes, and classes like anatomy and the "Human Skeleton." I have a stellar GPA (3.9) but no applicable internships or extracurricular activities. I have also completed college level algebra courses, but nothing beyond that in math.

What steps should I be taking to ensure admission into med school? Is a certificate program like this helpful considering my lack of hard science credentials? Is there a different route or trajectory I should be considering?

Reactions: 2 users

Questions to consider: what about med school that is appealing? What about the field that attracts you? What are you willing to do to get there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions to consider: what about med school that is appealing? What about the field that attracts you? What are you willing to do to get there?
I suppose medical school has always been on my mind but it somehow did not come to the forefront as my interest in Anthropology consumed my undergrad career. I was always interested in medical anthropology, genetics, epidemiology, and anatomy. I have had some severe health issues the past few years and was inspired by some really caring physicians to pursue this career path over one of solely research based pursuits in the field of anthropology/archaeology. This sort of clarity, even if the timing isn't quite right with the culmination of this already in progress degree, has grounded my inspiration and given me a new academic impetus, which, to be honest, had started to wane recently. I have been looking into volunteer programs at hospitals in my area and will be taking supplemental courses over the summer to feel out the rigors of lab oriented classes.

How about actually finding out if you like being around sick and injured people, and seeing what a doctors' day is like?
Start doing patient contact volunteering, and clinician shadowing. And non-clinical volunteering as well. You need to show off your altruism.

Get this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624
Thank you I will look into this book. I have some first hand knowledge being in a family full of nurses and CNAs but I am looking into volunteer programs for the summer when time allows. Thanks for the suggestions.

Your can do it. My husband was a music major in undergrad. And now he is a OMS3. So you can do it. You have to take all the prerequisites science and math classes. I will see if you start taking some of them. Just curious why not going into theatre?

Reactions: 1 user