Antibodies suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have to hear or read about one more "obscure but potentially clinically-significant red cell antibody" (anti-f? anti-G?) before the month is up, I think I'm going to scream.

+pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

deschutes said:
If I have to hear or read about one more "obscure but potentially clinically-significant red cell antibody" (anti-f? anti-G?) before the month is up, I think I'm going to scream.

+pissed+
You didn't have to do AP/CP. Stop your bitchin! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Deschutes- I've left you a PM. Thanks

elkchaser said:
Deschutes- I've left you a PM. Thanks

yaah needs to check his PMs too. I was just in Michigan and didn't get to meet him. :( :thumbdown:

I really liked the program though! :) :thumbup:

Yeah, I really liked Michigan too.

Hijackers of my thread, you will pay! And dearly!!

(Who am I kidding ;) )

elkchaser you have mail. You also know where to find me now.

Why is the AABB manual chapter on the positive DAT so very long....

beary said:
yaah needs to check his PMs too. I was just in Michigan and didn't get to meet him. :( :thumbdown:

I really liked the program though! :) :thumbup:
Didn't you have his email? I think he checks email much more often than his SDN PM's these days. If you send him an email via SDN even, he could've gotten the message.

And if you match there, then you'll definitely get to meet him.

I got the message that I had a PM but I didn't check it until today because I never got the chance. Tuesday was horribly busy and I had an evening commitment. Wednesday I was on call. Thursday we had a big snow storm and there were other things going on. Yesterday I had a date. ;)

But yes, antibodies suck. I hate trying to deal with the patient with a positive but clinically insignificant crossmatch and trying to explain that to the resident taking care of them. We also have one of the world's experts on blood groups and antibodies here, and the teaching sessions can be insane. You should have suspected an anti-Cartwright here... :laugh:

Ugh, I had to deal with an anti-Cartwright just yesterday! Damn things, antibodies!

I like trying to explain to clinical residents what these antibodies are. Most seem to be of the impression that there are the ABO antigens and the Rh (D) antigens. What is a little e? What's a Dombrock?

yaah said:
I like trying to explain to clinical residents what these antibodies are. Most seem to be of the impression that there are the ABO antigens and the Rh (D) antigens.

Those are the only ones I know of. :oops:

I guess next year I will know more. :)

yaah said:
I like trying to explain to clinical residents what these antibodies are. Most seem to be of the impression that there are the ABO antigens and the Rh (D) antigens. What is a little e? What's a Dombrock?
How much information do you give them? I suppose it must depend on the clinical setting - Ob/Gyn vs. surgical etc.

deschutes said:
How much information do you give them? I suppose it must depend on the clinical setting - Ob/Gyn vs. surgical etc.

Generally I just say there are other blood groups besides ABO and Rh, and while they are clinically significant they are not as significant (generally) as the main groups. For most of them, we can give antigen negative blood so I just tell them that as well. But I still haven't figured out a good way to explain Chido-Rogers or something like that to them without ending the conversation with, "just don't worry about it."