Any Advice for Re-applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. Thanks for stopping in. I applied 15+ MD schools in last cycle, and didn't receive any interview invitations. In this cycle, I applied 16 MD and 4 DO schools, and am still waiting for responses from most of the schools, with few rejections.

My background includes:
140 hours - volunteering as a math teacher
112 hours - pre-med volunteering
480 hours - research in bioengineering
480 hours - research in neuroscience + 1 published article as a co-author
60 hours - shadowing
190 hours - worked as a clinical research intern during the summer
920 hours - currently working as a math/science tutor
2013~2018 - serving as a leader in my church (I don't know if this counts as a leadership)

Graduated in May, 2017
Double major: biology and neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.63, Science GPA: 3.60
MCAT: first - 503, second - 506
Asian, a permanent resident in PA

Since I haven't received any interview invitations in this cycle, I made some plans.

1. I'm thinking of doing more pre-med or hospice volunteering at hospital

2. I'm considering whether I should retake my MCAT

3. I'm currently looking for a research technician position

4. If I don't get accepted in this cycle also, I am considering whether I should do post-bac

Please give any suggestions about my plans or things that I need to improve

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone. Thanks for stopping in. I applied 15+ MD schools in last cycle, and didn't receive any interview invitations. In this cycle, I applied 16 MD and 4 DO schools, and am still waiting for responses from most of the schools, with few rejections.

My background includes:
140 hours - volunteering as a math teacher
112 hours - pre-med volunteering
480 hours - research in bioengineering
480 hours - research in neuroscience + 1 published article as a co-author
60 hours - shadowing
190 hours - worked as a clinical research intern during the summer
920 hours - currently working as a math/science tutor
2013~2018 - serving as a leader in my church (I don't know if this counts as a leadership)

Graduated in May, 2017
Double major: biology and neuroscience
Overall GPA: 3.63, Science GPA: 3.60
MCAT: first - 503, second - 506
Asian, a permanent resident in PA

Since I haven't received any interview invitations in this cycle, I made some plans.

1. I'm thinking of doing more pre-med or hospice volunteering at hospital

2. I'm considering whether I should retake my MCAT

3. I'm currently looking for a research technician position

4. If I don't get accepted in this cycle also, I am considering whether I should do post-bac

Please give any suggestions about my plans or things that I need to improve

Thank you guys!

It seems as though you do not need any more volunteer experience but it wouldn't hurt to continue doing this while you are still applying. I don't think any more research would really help you and may be a waste of your time. Additionally, I do not think you would benefit much from a post bac program since your GPA is not that bad. I would focus on studying for the MCAT unit you know you will get a better score, apply to more DO schools, and relook at your PS and secondary responses and have several other people look at them as well.

What have you changed since last cycle?

Sounds like more clinical experience would be helpful. Start that volunteering NOW. Don't wait. You can also use that to update programs in Jan. Make sure you reach out to some programs at some point to express your interest and update them.

Don't do a full postbacc, you're just wasting 50k because your GPA is ok. How is your PS? Did anyone review your application? How are your LOR?

What was your school list each year?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as though you do not need any more volunteer experience but it wouldn't hurt to continue doing this while you are still applying. I don't think any more research would really help you and may be a waste of your time. Additionally, I do not think you would benefit much from a post bac program since your GPA is not that bad. I would focus on studying for the MCAT unit you know you will get a better score, apply to more DO schools, and relook at your PS and secondary responses and have several other people look at them as well.

What have you changed since last cycle?

tbh, only things I did during that year was tutoring and additional shadowing.
I was dumb, and I finished all of my sec app in January in the first cycle.
also I had to travel back to my country during the whole summer.
In this cycle, I finished all of my sec app in late September.
Also, the reason I'm considering the post bac is for Temple's post bac, I can receive acceptance to the med school as long as I get 3.6 gpa or above and 508 MCAT.

Sounds like more clinical experience would be helpful. Start that volunteering NOW. Don't wait. You can also use that to update programs in Jan. Make sure you reach out to some programs at some point to express your interest and update them.

Don't do a full postbacc, you're just wasting 50k because your GPA is ok. How is your PS? Did anyone review your application? How are your LOR?

What was your school list each year?

My PS was reviewed by my school pre health advisor, and she said it was pretty strong.
For LOR, I received 5 letters (one from my PI when I worked as the intern, two from my science professors, one from UPenn hospital pre-med volunteer service, and one from the neuroscience research director) plus committee letter.
I asked my pre health advisor about LOR, but she didn't give me any info regarding it so idk how strong they are

Which schools did you apply to ?

the schools that I applied in this cycle included:
MD

George Washington
NYMC
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Geisinger Commonwealth
Jefferson
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Rush
Loma Linda
Temple <- my undergrad school
Tulane
Rochester
VCU
Albany
Pennstate
SUNY upstate
Cooper
Senton <- new med school in NJ

For DO, I didn't have LOR from DO so I chose ones that don't require DO LOR
Michigan
NYITCOM
Ohio
PCOM

Two of the DO schools on your list (Michigan and Ohio) have a strong instate preference. I suggest adding another 6 DO schools this week.

Reactions: 1 user
Two of the DO schools on your list (Michigan and Ohio) have a strong instate preference. I suggest adding another 6 DO schools this week.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Seems like an ok school list, but definitely add some more low tier MD schools. I'd throw in rutgers and the Jersey schools. Why isn't PCOM on your list? Esp if you are from Philly. They are a great DO school and my friends that go there have matched to great programs.

Can you meet with your prehealth advisor and get more advice including what LOR to use?

Seems like an ok school list, but definitely add some more low tier MD schools. I'd throw in rutgers and the Jersey schools. Why isn't PCOM on your list? Esp if you are from Philly. They are a great DO school and my friends that go there have matched to great programs.

I did apply to PCOM, but the only drawback is I don't have any DO LOR, which PCOM strongly prefers.
Besides Rutgers, do you have any recommendation for other schools i can add?
I will def. meet with my advisor for it, hoping they can give me some information

Btw, does working as a scribe substitute clinical volunteer hours and shadowing hours?

Why applied to SUNY Upstate but no Downstate? Downstate is more OOS-friendly than Upstate (strong in-state preference).

Your MCAT 503, 506 are low for MD schools (even Upstate wants 509), what're your weak sections? How were you prep'd for MCAT? Consider re-take MCAT to get it up to 510+ if shooting for MD schools.

Get a DO letter. I believe the average MD matriculant has an MCAT of 510+ and a GPA of 3.7? I struggled for years with a shboar GPA and a good MCAT. It will be an uphill battle for you.

Your research seems okay but don't if you love it. I learned a lot. A new clinical experience and focus on DO is ky advice as a multitime reapplicant.