Any advice on a study schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shealynn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping to take the MCAT April 9th and am hoping to start studying soon because I will be taking 18 credits in the spring semester as well as a winterim class.

So far, I have bought Cracking the MCAT 2010-2011 Edition and am hoping to purchase the EK book as well. My problem however is that I have no idea where to start and am hoping for input.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a guide to studying for the MCAT in three months here:

Breaking Down the MCAT: A 3 Month MCAT Study Schedule

There's also a 4 month option in that thread.

However, the books required for it can be quite pricey (imho). If I were you and had already bought the TPR book I would just go through the entire thing at least once. TPR is very detailed so go through it at your own pace depending how strong you are in the basic sciences.

Also, I see you are buying the EK books as well. I haven't used them yet, but I've heard they are more concise and may fit your busy schedule much better. Then again I think using both them and TPR you'll be in good shape.

You could just do the books cover to cover, or some people seem to prefer to mix up the subjects and study a certain number of sections of each subject on differing days.

After you finish the books you can take a look at the list of things covered by the MCAT on the AAMC website and make sure you have everything covered if you are worried.

I've never taken the MCAT, so other posters may provide better advice. This is just what I would do.

Thank you, I saw the 3 month as well but thought i should study over 4-5 months. I did not see the four month plan however. I'm just concerned I wont have enough time to study, and am feeling overwhelmed not knowing where and how to start everything.