Any Asian-Chinese premeds out there? II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
seems like most Asians in SDN are from Cali or Texas. How about some NYC Asians? Woot, right here, me! NYC Chinatown rocks with tourists and a permanent smell of fish from the markets. Oh, there are a couple of Asians here or there :p

PKBoi: I used to get insulted when people talk about Chinese eating dog but I've learned that every culture has their hidden secrets. The men in a tribe in Papua New Guinea takes their boys up a mountain and 'release' in the boy's mouth. That ceremony is a rite of passage where the boys turn to men. That's probably the most disgusting thing I've ever learned in my life. :D Well, I hope you weren't eating anything when you read that.

Members don't see this ad.

In response to your thread title:

No, there are no Asians pre-meds out there.

:laugh:

lightnk102 said:
I caught my mother apologizing for me when I came back from the bathroom, telling him that I can be "too independent" sometimes, like its a disease.

I too am stricken with the independent/outgoing disease.

Members don't see this ad :)
remarkal3le said:
seems like most Asians in SDN are from Cali or Texas. How about some NYC Asians? Woot, right here, me! NYC Chinatown rocks with tourists and a permanent smell of fish from the markets. Oh, there are a couple of Asians here or there :p

PKBoi: I used to get insulted when people talk about Chinese eating dog but I've learned that every culture has their hidden secrets. The men in a tribe in Papua New Guinea takes their boys up a mountain and 'release' in the boy's mouth. That ceremony is a rite of passage where the boys turn to men. That's probably the most disgusting thing I've ever learned in my life. :D Well, I hope you weren't eating anything when you read that.

You bastard. I was eating a bowl of noodles while reading that and the noodles dropped from my chopticks causing the hot soup splatter all over my face...

Oh well, I guess I should be happy that soup is the only thing I get splattered on my face...

remarkal3le said:

Oh, I'm going to use that during my interview if I draw a blank...lol

HemaOncoDoc said:
Oh, I'm going to use that during my interview if I draw a blank...lol

THAT WOULD BE CLASSIC!

DrHuang said:
THAT WOULD BE CLASSIC!
Hey, it beats giving a blank stare. Maybe it'll get a laugh out of the interviewer too. At least it'll be a memorable interview.

Also chinese premed. I'll be attending med school which, last year, had something like 5 chinese kids attending in their entering class. Well, it's still overrepresented compared to the state's population!

I think I'd feel weird if I lived near a Chinatown or surrounded by a bunch of cantonese speaking asians. Part of the reason is that I'm from Beijing and speak Mandarin and alot of Chinese people my age (27) tend to be from Hong Kong or other parts of southern China. The other reason is that I grew around alot of caucasions so I don't feel terribly asian and it's a novel sight to see a lot of asians and chinese (I feel like a tourist when I'm in Chinatown). But no matter where I go, we are all so over represented in the sciences, especially in med. I guess I'm just contributing to that stereotype!

NonTradMed said:
Also chinese premed. I'll be attending med school which, last year, had something like 5 chinese kids attending in their entering class. Well, it's still overrepresented compared to the state's population!

I think I'd feel weird if I lived near a Chinatown or surrounded by a bunch of cantonese speaking asians. Part of the reason is that I'm from Beijing and speak Mandarin and alot of Chinese people my age (27) tend to be from Hong Kong or other parts of southern China. The other reason is that I grew around alot of caucasions so I don't feel terribly asian and it's a novel sight to see a lot of asians and chinese (I feel like a tourist when I'm in Chinatown). But no matter where I go, we are all so over represented in the sciences, especially in med. I guess I'm just contributing to that stereotype!
Whatever gets the job done. Where are you attending?

remarkal3le said:

I'm here. However, I'm a complete Twinkie.

CptCrunch said:
Ah twinkie. That was considered a really bad insult when I went to high school. The asians were divided based on your fluency in an Asian language. Asian pride was the coined phrase.

NonTradMed said:
But no matter where I go, we are all so over represented in the sciences, especially in med. I guess I'm just contributing to that stereotype!

Yeah, I hate the stereotype too. I hate feeling guilty about loving medicine. Yes, I will be an Asian doctor. Yes, my parents are happy that I want to do it. Yes, on the surface I am a model minority. But I don't think any of these things should detract from my individuality. There were many times in college when I almost decided against medicine purely because I didn't want to feed the stereotype. I wanted to become a full-time writer instead. But after careful consideration, I decided that there was no reason why I could not do both. However, to this very day, I still have a strong fear of being unoriginal.

Members don't see this ad :)
HemaOncoDoc said:
Ah twinkie. That was considered a really bad insult when I went to high school. The asians were divided based on your fluency in an Asian language. Asian pride was the coined phrase.

Funny, my school divided asians based on what they did: Cool Asians, gangster Asians (otherwise known as Asian disappointments =P), Anime Asians, Nerd Asians, Athlete Asians, Rich Asians (who mixed with Cool Asians; also tried to be gangster Asians). Not hard to guess which one I was part of (--> Nerd).

I never even really heard of twinkie until I reached college and actually met Asians who couldn't speak their native language.

Pkboi24 said:
Yeah, I hate the stereotype too. I hate feeling guilty about loving medicine. Yes, I will be an Asian doctor. Yes, my parents are happy that I want to do it. Yes, on the surface I am a model minority. But I don't think any of these things should detract from my individuality. There were many times in college when I almost decided against medicine purely because I didn't want to feed the stereotype. I wanted to become a full-time writer instead. But after careful consideration, I decided that there was no reason why I could not do both. However, to this very day, I still have a strong fear of being unoriginal.
I second that.

CptCrunch said:

You know, it's funny. I have to be amongst real Asian people to feel like a twinkie. For example, when I go to China this summer, I'm sure I will feel like a straight up white guy. I never feel more Asian than when I'm surrounded by white people. Which, I guess, is why I feel so Asian living in Texas.

On a more introspective note, it's very hard to "find yourself" when you're held captive by ethnic labels. No matter how hard you work at becoming a firefighter, teacher, actor, etc. you will always be, first and foremost, Asian.

That was slightly off-topic for medicine but oh well...just my 2 cents.

Pkboi24 said:
You know, it's funny. I have to be amongst real Asian people to feel like a twinkie. For example, when I go to China this summer, I'm sure I will feel like a straight up white guy. I never feel more Asian than when I'm surrounded by white people. Which, I guess, is why I feel so Asian living in Texas.

On a more introspective note, it's very hard to "find yourself" when you're held captive by ethnic labels. No matter how hard you work at becoming a firefighter, teacher, actor, etc. you will always be, first and foremost, Asian.

Likewise.

Pkboi24 said:
No matter how hard you work at becoming a firefighter, teacher, actor, etc. you will always be, first and foremost, Asian.

QFT; move back to the motherland with me.

I'm Asian and I speak butchered Mandarin. I make up for it by knowing more about the culture, but it doesn't help me pick up Asian chicks.

remarkal3le said:

w00t was soooo 2001 ;) .

North Jersey / NYC here too.

remarkal3le said:
Funny, my school divided asians based on what they did: Cool Asians, gangster Asians (otherwise known as Asian disappointments =P), Anime Asians, Nerd Asians, Athlete Asians, Rich Asians (who mixed with Cool Asians; also tried to be gangster Asians). Not hard to guess which one I was part of (--> Nerd).

I never even really heard of twinkie until I reached college and actually met Asians who couldn't speak their native language.
Yeah, you were shunned if you were a twinkie. I, however, intermingled with everyone. I participated in a number of things in school, I attended an anime club, did sports, got good grades, etc. I just wasn't rich. I never heard the term twinkie in college (at least directed at me).

What's wrong with being a twinkie? I was one for the longest time.

HemaOncoDoc said:

don't you mean AZn pRYdE? god, that was so annoying in high school. i can't tell you how many people had little printouts of a smiling chinese guy wearing a rice farmer hat eating a bowl of rice that had mispelled rice into RyCe. i'm just like... f***, i can speak chinese, but i don't have to create my own subculture just to make me feel like i belong somewhere. my HS was also 50% asian btw.

kirexhana said:
don't you mean AZn pRYdE? god, that was so annoying in high school. i can't tell you how many people had little printouts of a smiling chinese guy wearing a rice farmer hat eating a bowl of rice that had mispelled rice into RyCe. i'm just like... f***, i can speak chinese, but i don't have to create my own subculture just to make me feel like i belong somewhere. my HS was also 50% asian btw.
Yes, AZn pRydE. How could I have forgotten!? I agree that it was annoying. I'm glad that some of us have moved on from that...

kirexhana said:

:thumbup:

HemaOncoDoc said:
Yes, AZn pRydE. How could I have forgotten!? I agree that it was annoying. I'm glad that some of us have moved on from that...

Got rich b***h got rice? Got food got soup got spice?

Oh god I hate that song. Can't...stop...singing it in my head :scared:

remarkal3le said:
Got rich b***h got rice? Got food got soup got spice?

Oh god I hate that song. Can't...stop...singing it in my head :scared:
Never heard that song before. I consider myself cultured now.

Chinese-Korean girl here...I'm really more Chineesy b/c my mom, well you don't mess with her...my sister and I are actually both going to the same medical school next year so I guess we're the status-boosting kids. I think her friend tried to hook me up with a M4 at a dinner party she invited me to out of the blue. That was kind of awkward.

Btw, whoever thought korean girls were more feminine and submissive obviously has not seen that movie My Sassy Girl where she gets drunk every day and beats the **** out of her boyfriend. For some reason it's supposed to be funny and cute, but when she almost drowns him I can't help but think his relationship is a tad abusive. Why this is ppl's favorite movie I can't understand for the life of me!

They are, however, insanely thin. I'm worried about travelling there because I definitely look Americanized. Actually, I really look Filipino. Which I've discovered will make some Chinese people unfriendly to you. My mom told me in Hong Kong, all the housemaids are Filipino...so there's a perceived class and education difference. Is it just me, or are Chinese some of the most racist people you meet?

Chinorean said:
Btw, whoever thought korean girls were more feminine and submissive obviously has not seen that movie My Sassy Girl where she gets drunk every day and beats the **** out of her boyfriend. For some reason it's supposed to be funny and cute, but when she almost drowns him I can't help but think his relationship is a tad abusive. Why this is ppl's favorite movie I can't understand for the life of me!

korean girls submissive? lol yeah right! Im actually scared of korean girls and tend to stay far far away from them.

edit: oh and ill admit with some embarassment, my sassy girl was an awesome movie...i heard theyre doing an american remake of it

DrHuang said:
korean girls submissive? lol yeah right! Im actually scared of korean girls and tend to stay far far away from them.

edit: oh and ill admit with some embarassment, my sassy girl was an awesome movie...i heard theyre doing an american remake of it

I highly doubt the American remake will be anything like the original. There's just culture that you can't translate. Part of what makes My Sassy Girl Funny to me is that I'm Asian. I don't think I'd get as much out of it if the culture was displaced.

Pkboi24 said:
I highly doubt the American remake will be anything like the original. There's just culture that you can't translate. Part of what makes My Sassy Girl Funny to me is that I'm Asian. I don't think I'd get as much out of it if the culture was displaced.

theyre also remaking infernal affairs and i heard its being directed by Scorsese and has di carprio in it.

DrHuang said:
theyre also remaking infernal affairs and i heard its being directed by Scorsese and has di carprio in it.

They're also re-making My Wife is a Gangster...I'm assuming they won't duplicate the scene where the pregnant woman gets kicked repeatedly in the stomach. I don't think Asian humor translates well in America.

OH! They should re-make Love on a Diet. It's seriously the cutest movie ever. But then all the obsese people in America would complain that Hollywood portrays them as un-cute.

I really don't know. I'm too white for an asian crowd, and too asian for a white crowd. I get along well in both crowds, but just by talking to me, friends that are white or really asian can tell that there's something about me that makes me different from them. I mean, I'm educated in my culture and have strong philosophies and traditions based in East-Asian roots (like respectful to others, duty to parents, drive to succeed, a little quiet) but I don't do a lot of the things the asians on my campus deem to be asian (listen to hip-hop all the time, talk about schoolwork constantly, act like a prude, say little or go with everyone in public discussions, etc.). With my non-asian like friends we basically shoot the **** together, tell dirty jokes, drink a lot of beer, and other stuff that just wouldn't fly very well with my asian friends, but I'm not as talkative and I like different things compared to my non-asian friends.

Yeah I really don't know what I am, nor do I know very well what I'm trying to say. It's ironic that I'm full-blooded Taiwanese, but I can't speak much Mandarin or Taiwanese.

HemaOncoDoc said:
What did you become afterwards?

Chinorean said:
Is it just me, or are Chinese some of the most racist people you meet?

I think most people from traditionally isolated nations will be racist. But let's not go down that route, as I can see flames not far ahead. These countries are usually long established, with histories spanning thousands of years. America, by comparison has only been around for a little over 200 years, and look at how snotty Americans already are to outsiders. Multiply that by 20 and you will know how people from those "racist" countries feel.

Chinorean said:
Is it just me, or are Chinese some of the most racist people you meet?

I think most people from traditionally isolated nations will be racist. But let's not go down that route, as I can see flames not far ahead. These countries are usually long established, with histories spanning thousands of years. America, by comparison has only been around for a little over 200 years, and look at how snotty Americans already are to outsiders. Multiply that by 20 and you will know how people from those "racist" countries feel.

Pkboi24 said:

racism? hell, chinese people are racist to each other! Some hate the cantonese...others hate taiwanese...its an orgy of racism for us!

DrHuang said:
racism? hell, chinese people are racist to each other! Some hate the cantonese...others hate taiwanese...its an orgy of racism for us!

hhahahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: too true!!!

DrHuang said:

That wouldn't really be racism would it? All those people are of the same race. It's more just general discrimination.

Pkboi24 said:
That wouldn't really be racism would it? All those people are of the same race. It's more just general discrimination.

well, chinese people aren't really one people despite generations of leaders trying to say otherwise...its compromised of many different tribes...northern chinese and southern chinese are quite different looking!

DrHuang said:
well, chinese people aren't really one people despite generations of leaders trying to say otherwise...its compromised of many different tribes...northern chinese and southern chinese are quite different looking!

Oh man, an opportunity to put my geography class in good use! "Chinese" and "China" are western terms. There are 56 different ethnic groups living in "China" or "Zhongguo." 92% of the population are Han chinese and the rest of the 8% make up the other 55 minorities. I lost my point somewhere in the babble.

Oh right, southern Chinese. We're hot.

remarkal3le said:
Oh man, an opportunity to put my geography class in good use! "Chinese" and "China" are western terms. There are 56 different ethnic groups living in "China" or "Zhongguo." 92% of the population are Han chinese and the rest of the 8% make up the other 55 minorities. I lost my point somewhere in the babble.

Wow, I did not know that. Can you tell me what I am? My parents are from Shanghai and I was born in Hong Kong. My dad was born in some place called "Hei Long Jiang" which roughly translates into "Black Dragon River".

does anyone remember the Combo #5 song? anyone?

remarkal3le said:
damn straight.

except, i have in the past (and still present) collected a number of guesses about my ethnicity. in ranking order: japanese, korean, malaysian, vietnamese, thai, cambodian, hawaiian, are you part anything?, part black?, and i give up. by the time they guess chinese, they look and feel pretty stupid.

i wish i kept a tiny notebook with hashmarks for each category.

remarkal3le said:

i don't buy into the '92% Han' lore stuff...the han people itself consists of different ethnic groups...have you ever seen people from san dong province and people from guan dong? no way they are cut from the same cloth!

oh, and I get an even mix of japanese, korean, and chinese...its not our fault the other asians look like us! :laugh:

DrHuang said:
i don't buy into the '92% Han' lore stuff...the han people itself consists of different ethnic groups...have you ever seen people from san dong province and people from guan dong? no way they are cut from the same cloth!

oh, and I get an even mix of japanese, korean, and chinese...its not our fault the other asians look like us! :laugh:

Ever taken this test ? It test your ability to distinguish between Chinese, Japanese, Korean faces. I had 11/18.

I tend to think "Han" more as a cultural group rather than a ethnic group.

Pkboi24 said:
Wow, I did not know that. Can you tell me what I am? My parents are from Shanghai and I was born in Hong Kong. My dad was born in some place called "Hei Long Jiang" which roughly translates into "Black Dragon River".

Hei Long Jiang is in extreme NorthEast corner of China on the Russian border. I believe in that area the majority of people are Han (whatever that means), with a minority of Manchus, who pretty much are indistinguishable physically and culturally from the Han. There also maybe some ethnic Koreans and a smattering various ethnic groups found in Siberia.

silkworm said:
Hei Long Jiang is in extreme NorthEast corner of China on the Russian border. I believe in that area the majority of people are Han (whatever that means), with a minority of Manchus, who pretty much are indistinguishable physically and culturally from the Han. There also maybe some ethnic Koreans and a smattering various ethnic groups found in Siberia.

they got some crazy ice and lighting festivals there too

silkworm said:
I tend to think "Han" more as a cultural group rather than a ethnic group.

my thoughts exactly