Any Asian-Chinese premeds out there? II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my case is complicated, i am getting my ph.d in engineering in a year, and most likely i will apply for class 2012 or 2013... a damn long and hard way to go, glad to know you guys out there, working towards your dream too ...

palminator2003 said:
The last thread got closed, so I'm starting a new one. Let's keep it rational this time folks.

I'll start by a reintroduction. I'm an ABC looking east coast for med school. I've been accepted a few places and am waiting to hear from more :)

Members don't see this ad.

funny how i will soon be a "1st-gen" immigrant, really just try to release the potential pressure on my sons or daughters, lol
funshine said:
I hate it when people learn I'm pre-med and automatically place me in the "typical asian dutifully carying out her parents' desires" category.

They smile knowingly and assume they already know all about you

hahaha, good one. my mom wasn't very happy about my wife getting a ph.d too ...

lightnk102 said:
my favorite is when your parents push you to excel academically and then your mother suddenly turns around when you're in your 20's and says, "You know, men don't like women who are too successful."

Members don't see this ad :)
RobHan said:

I love smart women...but I might have a problem with women who are too sensitive about the fact that they're successful women.

You know what I mean? Women who are always aware of the control of power in a relationship, reading into things that aren't there, as if everything were a power struggle.

That's been the case with a lot of smart, ambitious women I've been with. I guess it's not their fault really, society is to blame.

Hope I don't get flamed for this...

RobHan said:
my case is complicated, i am getting my ph.d in engineering in a year, and most likely i will apply for class 2012 or 2013... a damn long and hard way to go, glad to know you guys out there, working towards your dream too ...

RobHan, maybe when you're done getting the MD, you could go ahead and get a degree in CS and then another in Econ. Then you would be ultimate asian son!

Just don't tell my parents, 'cause then they'd probably slap me upside the head and say: "See, why can't you be more like him!?"

autoimmunity said:
RobHan, maybe when you're done getting the MD, you could go ahead and get a degree in CS and then another in Econ. Then you would be ultimate asian son!

Just don't tell my parents, 'cause then they'd probably slap me upside the head and say: "See, why can't you be more like him!?"

Don't forget the JD, so you can protect your family with your extensive knowledge of the law. Oh yea, and on top of that, learn your Chinese!!!! These days, the Chinese are going to be the most powerful culture in the world and you need to know Chinese to succeed!!!!!! :rolleyes:

hahaha very funny, however there is a problem with your proposal: i am already getting a ph.d in cs, actually related to medicine
autoimmunity said:

RobHan said:
hahaha very funny, however there is a problem with your proposal: i am already getting a ph.d in cs, actually related to medicine

lol, you, my friend, are the epitome of traditional Asian breeding.

if anyone really wants to meet alot of asians, go to Vancouver or Toronto, Canada. Those two cities have so many asians, but few Americans know this. When I lived in Toronto for (public) high school, some of the advanced math classes had 90% ethnic chinese. There are also 6 chinatowns, too.

hmm... said:
if anyone really wants to meet alot of asians, go to Vancouver or Toronto, Canada. Those two cities have so many asians, but few Americans know this. When I lived in Toronto for (public) high school, some of the advanced math classes had 90% ethnic chinese. There are also 6 chinatowns, too.

I'd love to go to vancouver sometime. I hear the girls there are quite hot. I know Kristen Kreuk is.

Pkboi24 said:
I'd love to go to vancouver sometime. I hear the girls there are quite hot. I know Kristen Kreuk is.

i thought she was cute until i saw her vampire fangs

Pkboi24 said:
I love smart women...but I might have a problem with women who are too sensitive about the fact that they're successful women.

You know what I mean? Women who are always aware of the control of power in a relationship, reading into things that aren't there, as if everything were a power struggle.

That's been the case with a lot of smart, ambitious women I've been with. I guess it's not their fault really, society is to blame.

Hope I don't get flamed for this...

aww that is the most sensitive thing i've heard from a guy in a long time. except i think how one defines "things that aren't there" depends on whose perception. i don't think they think everything is a power struggle... more like worrying about stepping on other people's (esp guys') toes.

Members don't see this ad :)
RobHan said:

Speaking of spouses, has anyone thought about whether they'll marry another Chinese person? I feel like my heritage is beginning to die with my generation(i.e. I can speak Chinese but not read or write, don't celebrate traditional Chinese holidays) and I was hoping to revive it after I get married. I wouldn't call it Asian pride or anything, I kind of just want my kids to have some roots.

NehsNairb said:
Speaking of spouses, has anyone thought about whether they'll marry another Chinese person? I feel like my heritage is beginning to die with my generation(i.e. I can speak Chinese but not read or write, don't celebrate traditional Chinese holidays) and I was hoping to revive it after I get married. I wouldn't call it Asian pride or anything, I kind of just want my kids to have some roots.

not even *gasp* chinese new year?! that's how i saved enough money to apply for med school! that beloved holiday paid for my mcat classes and books, the test itself, my primary app, all my secondaries (a lot!!), my plane tickets, my suit...
(not that i was saving my money for decades to apply for med school. i was just saving it because i couldn't think of anything better to do with it at the time)

NehsNairb said:

Yeah, for sure. Knowing where I come from is very important to me. I don't know if I'll marry another Chinese person. I'm likely, however, to marry another Asian person, since I'll always have more things in common with them. But I don't want someone straight up from Asia because all those girls tend to want is a green card. J/k. In all seriousness though, "Lost" is a great show.

Pkboi24 said:
Yeah, for sure. Knowing where I come from is very important to me. I don't know if I'll marry another Chinese person. I'm likely, however, to marry another Asian person, since I'll always have more things in common with them. But I don't want someone straight up from Asia because all those girls tend to want is a green card. J/k. In all seriousness though, "Lost" is a great show.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: sometimes, it's true though.

remarkal3le said:
What happened to the Mulan avatar? Your Hello Kitty one brings back bad memories deep in my soul.

i looked too serious, so i decided to change it. :)

remarkal3le said:
What happened to the Mulan avatar? Your Hello Kitty one brings back bad memories deep in my soul.

what bad memory?

Man, it sucks to be Chinese when applying to med schools.

Sometimes I wish I were a URM. That way mediocre stats even look good to the committee! =P

Pewl said:
Man, it sucks to be Chinese when applying to med schools.

Sometimes I wish I were a URM. That way mediocre stats even look good to the committee! =P
ooh... be careful with that one! you'll get flamed for that... *runs away to safety*

Guys.... I've been making a list of all the things that i'll miss when I move to Durham and it's not looking pretty. Most of it is food...

Hong Kong Style Chinese food
Boba (stop calling it bubble tea, it's BOBA!)
99 Ranch Market
Chinese food that's not P.F. Chang's.
Taiwanese Deli's
Asian Bakeries

Wow... i'll be losing a lot of weight these next 4 years.

kirexhana said:
Guys.... I've been making a list of all the things that i'll miss when I move to Durham and it's not looking pretty. Most of it is food...

99 Ranch Market
Taiwanese Deli's
Asian Bakeries

i HATE the word "boba" (no offense). it literally means "titties" in mandarin, for which the tapioca balls were named after. hence, i prefer "bubble tea" or just "tapioca."

by the way, VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR EVERYONE:
IS THERE A 99 RANCH IN CHICAGO? that is all ;)

red dot said:
i HATE the word "boba" (no offense). it literally means "titties" in mandarin, for which the tapioca balls were named after. hence, i prefer "bubble tea" or just "tapioca."

but that's what it IS in mandarin tho.... you can't say pao pao nai tza, it's buo ba nai tza (ok, i have no idea how that's supposed to be spelled)

plus, no one uses the word boba for anything other than tapioca in chinese... i mean.... i wouldn't go up to one of my hags and say, i love your bobae, today (plural, there's two of them :p )

kirexhana said:
but that's what it IS in mandarin tho.... you can't say pao pao nai tza, it's buo ba nai tza (ok, i have no idea how that's supposed to be spelled)

plus, no one uses the word boba for anything other than tapioca in chinese... i mean.... i wouldn't go up to one of my hags and say, i love your bobae, today (plural, there's two of them :p )
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i'm actually still laughing out loud. literally.

edit: i'm so going to say that the very next time i hang out with one of my sort-of chinese friends! lol. :laugh:

red dot said:

I don't think there's a 99 Ranch in Chicago :(. They're primarily on the West coast (eg CA, WA, NV), but according to the website (www.99ranch.com), there's one in Atlanta. Who knew? Don't worry, though, I'm sure there's some sort of Asian grocery store in the area.

thedelicatessen said:
I don't think there's a 99 Ranch in Chicago :(. They're primarily on the West coast (eg CA, WA, NV), but according to the website (www.99ranch.com), there's one in Atlanta. Who knew? Don't worry, though, I'm sure there's some sort of Asian grocery store in the area.
thanks. whew! i was starting to worry i might starve without my Pocky.:p

my suggestion: eat as much as you can cause most chinese restaurants here suck, hehe, and we are 4 hours away from dc :smuggrin:
kirexhana said:

99 Ranch Market
Taiwanese Deli's
Asian Bakeries

RobHan said:
my suggestion: eat as much as you can cause most chinese restaurants here suck, hehe, and we are 4 hours away from dc :smuggrin:

Why not just cook your own chinese food? I find it so satisfying to cook my own meals. You know exactly what goes in, it's cheap as hell, and you're developing an essential life skill that chicks dig.

I cook just about every meal I eat. But maybe that has to do with the fact that I'm a vegetarian and it's hard to find good vegetarian fare these days, unless you go to one of those expensive restaurant where they charge $15 for grilled eggplant.

isn't "asian-chinese" kind of redudant?

AznDoc said:
isn't "asian-chinese" kind of redudant?

I think it's the OP's way of excluding all other Asians (Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Pacific Islanders, etc.)

Anyone know any 99 Ranch type of supermarkets in the Washington D.C area?

silkworm said:
Anyone know any 99 Ranch type of supermarkets in the Washington D.C area?

What is a 99 ranch?

Pkboi24 said:
What is a 99 ranch?

its a famous chain supermarket, mainly in cali...they have apple sidra and hey song too <3

Ranch 99 is expensive. Run and owned by rich snob taiwanese businessman!

sigh, another useless SDN thread... tis the reason why i stopped looking at sdn.

AxlxA said:

sigh, another useless SDN thread... tis the reason why i stopped looking at sdn.

There's only so much you can say about applying to med school.

AxlxA said:
Run and owned by rich snob taiwanese businessman!
i was under the impression anyway that that's the stereotype (about taiwanese guys):laugh:. i actually met a few guys in college who kind of lived up to it too. i don't mean it in a bad way though. just pointing it out...

AxlxA said:

yeah, im not a big fan of taiwanese people...cantonese people too.

DrHuang said:
do you mean cantonese people or cantonese-speaking people? i'll be the first to admit -- yeah, i think a lot of cantonese-speaking people talk too loud. :laugh: :laugh: i haven't met a lot of cantonese people though.

red dot said:
do you mean cantonese people or cantonese-speaking people? i'll be the first to admit -- yeah, i think a lot of cantonese-speaking people talk too loud. :laugh: :laugh: i haven't met a lot of cantonese people though.

I love how we're discriminating against various groups of Chinese people in a thread made for Chinese people. Priceless...

Pkboi24 said:
I love how we're discriminating against various groups of Chinese people in a thread made for Chinese people. Priceless...

i think its like how people from the south think the yanks are snobs and the yanks think the southerners are a bunch of hicks...people from different regions are bound to discriminate each other

DrHuang said:

Not a big fan of Taiwanese people who have to point how everyday how superior they are. Get over yourselves. You're not better than me and I'm not better than you. Luckily most of the Taiwanese people I know are great people. But what's wrong with Cantonese people?

i know..what's wrong with cantonese people?

What exactly are "cantonese people". Aren't they just hong kong/guanzhou people?

red dot said:

that maybe true, but people from Beijing are also quite loud. Five years ago, I made the mistake of taking Air China instead flying United to go to China. Some people were having conversations by yelling at each other from across the plane many rows over. There were also people who let babies cry forever :thumbdown: and I think that it was legal to smoke in the lavatories. :scared: Also when the flight attendant told everyone to stay seated until the plane was at the gate, no one listened. Everyone was taking out their carryons while the plane was taxing and the isles were crowded full of people ready to bolt out of the plane like horses at a horse race.

what i am going to say has nothing to do with foods but i just need a place to rant about my parents... :mad:

I am so tired of them controling my life. They want me to stay in engineering and they want me to do basically everything that they *think* is good for me. For heaven's sake, you are not me and who the hell do you think you are to tell me what to do?

I tried fighting with them but then they started accusing me of not loving / caring for them. :eek:

Whenever I am frustrated, they always want me to reflect myself and to change myself because I cannot change others. I DO NOT your doubts and discouragements when I am already upset. :cool:

And I need to go back home next week.... :mad: :mad:

Do your parents do the same thing or is it just mine?? :(