Any Asian Indian Pre-Meds Out There? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aww what's so bad about heavy metal? :p. You're right in that most metal bands are crap, just noise, but some hit the spot.
If you like arabic music, you should try listening to rai (Cheb Mami, Cheb Khaled etc.). It's really good.

Hmm I'll have to look into that. Yeah I love arabic food too so whenever I used to go to this one restaurant they always had arab music. That's where I got to liking it a lot. One time I went to this multicultural thing and the next song was arabic and I was like wow I know that song cuz I heard it at this restaurant. However, I never got the names of any of the music I just know that I liked that it had a beat. I like upbeat music and that's why I liked the small bit of arab music, russian music, albanian/greek music I heard from various people on campus and restaurants I like.

Members don't see this ad.

wow this thread really got going... before i started reading this thread i thought i was a lot more desi than i guess i am.. oh, im guju, and yes, im cheap :D ... i used to be anti-indian, but i realized that i miss being indian, especially when im not home with my ginormous family, and then its nice to have desi friends because its like another level to connect on.. and besides, i can't cook, so i need a desi friend at school that can, for the times i get homesick :) ...

Im one of those horrible only at parties, bollywood film dancers.. also, i was a late bloomer and didn't start till i was 13 *gasp*...and i suck.. i mean i'm terrible, but i have fun making a fool out of myself so i guess that's all that counts.... my favorite part of indian culture (other than the food, which is not always my favorite, esp when u have to eat it everyday) well my favorite part is the fashion... i LOVE indian clothes and i design my own, ripping stuff from the top bollywood hits, and incorporating american styles.. what can i say, im a GIRL!

i like bollywood movies. You just have to go into the situation knowing the movies are gonna be 3+ hours (however lately the trend is closer to 2 hrs), that it will prob be corny at times, and that they will break into song and dance 5-12 times...

Finally, i don't think my parents pressured my into medicine.. when i was about 2 i went EVERYWHERE with a little doctors kit, and always loved mending people... i played doctor my whole life and still kinda do... both my parents had dreams of going into medicine which didn't work out what with the indian education system and the corrupt quotas... i like to think my parents would support me no matter what i chose to do, but i know they support me a little more b/c its medicine i want... i think it would be really hard to put myself through the hell that is premed and what is yet to come, for just my parents. i think u have to want it too, unless you're a masochist..

Well, i have no idea what i'm babbling about.. just wanted to share my desi pride i guess.. just ignore me im talking nonsense... oh well bye! :p

P.S. i forgot to mention that i'm an ABCD (really, i can prove it, i have a secret bf!) :love:

Hmm I'll have to look into that. Yeah I love arabic food too so whenever I used to go to this one restaurant they always had arab music. That's where I got to liking it a lot. One time I went to this multicultural thing and the next song was arabic and I was like wow I know that song cuz I heard it at this restaurant. However, I never got the names of any of the music I just know that I liked that it had a beat. I like upbeat music and that's why I liked the small bit of arab music, russian music, albanian/greek music I heard from various people on campus and restaurants I like.

i like bure bure from bluffmaster

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm the Desi, frats and sororities at my school are

EEP => Sigma Sigma Rho (Indian sorority)
DPO => Delta Phi Omega (Indian Sorority)

EBP => Sigma Beta Rho (Indian Frat)
DSE = Delta Psi Epsilon (Indian Frat)

I'm not sure on the name for that last one but I think t hat's it. The others are a sure thing around campus. I tend to stay away from those things.

at UCLA we have Delta Phi Beta (co-ed indian frat), Beta Chi Theta (Alpha chapter, indian frat), and Sigma delta sigma (sorority - started out indian but evolved into multi-cultural)

I don't consider certain types of music too white but I can't stand rap music cuz I don't like the lyrics and I don't like the fact that there's virtually no melody in any rap music.

I think outside of desi music, my favorite kind of music is actually alternative, ska, etc. I'm more into that kind of stuff then typical rap music. I think I get it from my brothers who are more into American culture then desi culture because they were never able to make friends with any of the desi people.

I also mentioned this in the old thread, but the little bit of arabic, albanian, and greek music I've heard is awesome. I also like the bits of Russian music and latino music I've heard. I'm into most music but rap and heavy metal. Country is boring but I can see why a lot of people like it because it has meaninful lyrics.

I'm really into rap and hip hop.. its great dance music, especially if you ignore the whole b*tches and h*es thing :) also its great to mix with indian beats, and makes for good bhangra too... i.e. Jay-Z's Beware featuring Punjabi MC's Mundian To Bachke...

guju from RI representin'

however, not an ABCD since I was not born in the US

ex-fob? nice. I'm just abcd. Oh and Anjlprincezz- you're school has a kickass hfd team

I agree with you completely. The quality of dancing done by a lot of American Desis is horrible. The malu friend I made a reference to earlier once said the following regarding desi girls in America "The worst dancers in India could out run people here". There are few and far few who have real talent and that only because a. they have a passion for learning the dance and b. they learned from a proper teacher who actually taught it correctly and expected perfection.

I always am embarrassed to watch people who get on the stage and then don't even do a good job all because they wanted to be on stage. That's how it is at the desi functions where I grew up. My cousin learned to dance though not via classical dance training and she used to compete by doing all these bollywood songs. Her parents always made her practice til she got it perfect. On the other hand, a lot of the people where I grew up always did and still do half assed jobs of dancing because they teach themselves the dance in one night or they just don't care enough to do it with perfection. I find it rather annoying cuz you are expected to applaud them even though they weren't all that great.

I don't know what its like in other places, but here, and esp with my family and family friends, we ALWAYS have performances at the big parties (the ones in hotels or restaurants).. and everyone performs to bollywood songs, classical is reserved for the mandir... in my family, we never had formal instruction, we just learned through loads of hindi movies, and watching others.. we all sort of self taught... now a couple of my cousins are in dance troupes that have been on TV loads of times.. They're professional.. we didn't do it for the attention, but (1) for entertainment and (2) because it was something fun we could do together.. i mean we all practiced and were really good (except me :( ) but not to the point where it stopped becoming fun.... and of course you applaud, u don't necessarily applaud the performance, but sometimes just for the effort, it's all in good spirit and fun. I think people should be allowed to express their culture in anyway they choose, without being judged based on their skill...

I don't know what its like in other places, but here, and esp with my family and family friends, we ALWAYS have performances at the big parties (the ones in hotels or restaurants).. and everyone performs to bollywood songs, classical is reserved for the mandir... in my family, we never had formal instruction, we just learned through loads of hindi movies, and watching others.. we all sort of self taught... now a couple of my cousins are in dance troupes that have been on TV loads of times.. They're professional.. we didn't do it for the attention, but (1) for entertainment and (2) because it was something fun we could do together.. i mean we all practiced and were really good (except me :( ) but not to the point where it stopped becoming fun.... and of course you applaud, u don't necessarily applaud the performance, but sometimes just for the effort, it's all in good spirit and fun. I think people should be allowed to express their culture in anyway they choose, without being judged based on their skill...

Yeah but not to the point that people make the most blatant mistakes to the point of obvious errors that it looks really really bad on stage. And yeah it is exactly as you described where I grew up. But I'm the kind of person that if someone performs anything on stage they should look like they practiced more then overnight and do a good job. A lot of people don't and it doesn't look all that great or like they put a real effort in. That's why I find it pointless to applaud such people.

I'm really into rap and hip hop.. its great dance music, especially if you ignore the whole b*tches and h*es thing :) also its great to mix with indian beats, and makes for good bhangra too... i.e. Jay-Z's Beware featuring Punjabi MC's Mundian To Bachke...

to each their own but I never thought it was great dance music even the one time I went to the club or at several parties where I've heard it. I always felt it sounded more like noise then music. I guess we can't all have the same tastes.

at UCLA we have Delta Phi Beta (co-ed indian frat), Beta Chi Theta (Alpha chapter, indian frat), and Sigma delta sigma (sorority - started out indian but evolved into multi-cultural)

Coed???? Wow that's what they should create for the USF peepz if they want that stuff. I think it could get interesting. My bro was in a coed fraternity for engineers when he was in college but itwasn't a desi thing.

I tend to know a lot of people but the few that I'd say I'd trust my life with and would go out of my way to see even if they moved 100s of miles away are far and far few. Those few tend to be FOBs who were raised in India and tend not to be your typical white washed Desis or they are people who are pretty much like the Indo and Paki and Benagli people who were raised in their respective countries so they themselves are very traditional and religious people.

I do agree that a lot of desis I meet are white washed and not really Indianized so to speak and its sad to see those people who think every week should be let us get drunk night or those people who dress in the sluttiest of clothes or those people who just don't seem to care about their background.

But whatever. To each their own.

I think the decision to dress slutty or get drunk every weekend is more of a personal choice and sometimes a parenting mishap, but not necessarily a result of being white-washed or being born/living abroad. I’ve met loads and loads of desis born in India, or those from India, who are quite promiscuous or what not. Again I think this depends more on your personal set of morals and the values your parents have instilled in you rather than where you were brought up.. I like to think that by living in the states I have the opportunity to incorporate the best parts of both my cultures.. I mean I can still hold myself to high moral standards and express my culture as I wish, but I can also choose to have a sense of individualism, and say that I’d rather be stampeded by cows than exchange a bio data…

Yeah but not to the point that people make the most blatant mistakes to the point of obvious errors that it looks really really bad on stage. And yeah it is exactly as you described where I grew up. But I'm the kind of person that if someone performs anything on stage they should look like they practiced more then overnight and do a good job. A lot of people don't and it doesn't look all that great or like they put a real effort in. That's why I find it pointless to applaud such people.

Yeah that's more of a personal thing... i wouldn't want to make an ass of myself on stage, so i practice. It's no fun being embarrased in front of your whole family, even if it just is aunties and uncles (you never know, your future in-laws might be watching :eek: jp).. However, i have performed a couple times, without practicing, b/c i just didn't care about those parties, in retrospect, that was mean of me... oh well, what's done is done... i think im too old to perform now...

Members don't see this ad :)
Coed???? Wow that's what they should create for the USF peepz if they want that stuff. I think it could get interesting. My bro was in a coed fraternity for engineers when he was in college but itwasn't a desi thing.

It's a great concept, but i think a lot of it was overshadowed by over-partying and boyfriend/girlfriend swapping.. ahh the drama of being desi.. but u have to admit, there would be nothing to gossip about otherwise :D

oooh im about to go watch American Idol and i have to ask what you guys think about Sanjaya Malakar...

would you/ do you vote for him just because he's desi? If so, why?

I don;t vote for him, IMO he's nowhere near as good as others on the show and he doesn't deserve to be there, i think true equality is looking PAST color..

to each their own but I never thought it was great dance music even the one time I went to the club or at several parties where I've heard it. I always felt it sounded more like noise then music. I guess we can't all have the same tastes.

I agree, to me Ska is noise, i guess we all have diff tastes :D

on a side note, many peopel say white washed, but a lot of the desis i know esp from so.cal and the bay are more black-washed (hope no one finds that offensive)...

ok, im done, bye :p

oooh im about to go watch American Idol and i have to ask what you guys think about Sanjaya Malakar...

would you/ do you vote for him just because he's desi? If so, why?

I don;t vote for him, IMO he's nowhere near as good as others on the show and he doesn't deserve to be there, i think true equality is looking PAST color..

I am with you on that one. I don't watch that show because I don't watch tv much. I chat more then watch tv. However, my mom watches it and she was telling me he's not all that great. She wasn't too impressed with him and wouldn't vote for him. I think I'd vote for who is good.

Yeah that's more of a personal thing... i wouldn't want to make an ass of myself on stage, so i practice. It's no fun being embarrased in front of your whole family, even if it just is aunties and uncles (you never know, your future in-laws might be watching :eek: jp).. However, i have performed a couple times, without practicing, b/c i just didn't care about those parties, in retrospect, that was mean of me... oh well, what's done is done... i think im too old to perform now...

I disagree. My dance teacher is a professional dancer and she's 35. A lot of professional dancers dance til their 40s and some into their 50s and still look good doing it. Her own teacher is in her 50s or so and she's still at it and doing it professionally and doing a damned good job. I think it depends on the person. If you can do a good job and still look good doing it at a certain age then I don't see what's wrong with it.
It is the idea that you are too old to dance once you are no longer a teenager that is the problem that Dr. Dancer and I were discussing.

Best music = Western classical and K/J-pop!

I am the indian dude who doesn't fit into any category (not fobby enough for the fobs, and not abcd enough for the abcds)... its a lonely world :'(
jk

It's a great concept, but i think a lot of it was overshadowed by over-partying and boyfriend/girlfriend swapping.. ahh the drama of being desi.. but u have to admit, there would be nothing to gossip about otherwise :D

Ha! My bro met his ex in his coed frat too.

I'm not into frats/sororities. I never joined one because the idea of a frat/sorority seemed like paying for friends. To me I figured that even if I wanted to party what was the point of paying dues to a social club like that to go do such things?

this one's for amchi mumbai...

med-purgatory out

okay, going back to discussions about desi parents being way too involved. Just for pre-clarification, yes, I absolutely think that people should make their own decisions for their future and no, my parents were not forceful at all.

But don't you think the "pushiness" of desi parents is sort of a blessing in disguise? I mean, all over the country, other minorities are having issues breaking into professional circles because parents don't fathom, don't know how to approach, or simply don't care enough in terms of priorities to motivate their children to pursue higher education. Statistically speaking, children follow their parent's paths. Most of the time, its not coincidence nor force on the part of parents that a child of professionals will likewise desire to be a professional. I think we need to stop and consider this once in a while, and thank our parents/community for what its worth. Not for forcing us into being doctors, but rather for opening eyes on what we could be. Besides, of two evils, i'd rather have someone push me to be something great but something i'm not (with good intentions) than to have someone who didn't really push me at all, making me not even realize what I want or could attain. I mean, if you're going to be something you hate, might as well be a doctor rather than a random paper pusher or menial laborer....

Um, I don't know what brought this on. Could be my intense relief in finishing this whole process....more likely could be the packet of food that my mom just sent....

okay, going back to discussions about desi parents being way too involved. Just for pre-clarification, yes, I absolutely think that people should make their own decisions for their future and no, my parents were not forceful at all.

But don't you think the "pushiness" of desi parents is sort of a blessing in disguise? I mean, all over the country, other minorities are having issues breaking into professional circles because parents don't fathom, don't know how to approach, or simply don't care enough in terms of priorities to motivate their children to pursue higher education. Statistically speaking, children follow their parent's paths. Most of the time, its not coincidence nor force on the part of parents that a child of professionals will likewise desire to be a professional. I think we need to stop and consider this once in a while, and thank our parents/community for what its worth. Not for forcing us into being doctors, but rather for opening eyes on what we could be. Besides, of two evils, i'd rather have someone push me to be something great but something i'm not (with good intentions) than to have someone who didn't really push me at all, making me not even realize what I want or could attain. I mean, if you're going to be something you hate, might as well be a doctor rather than a random paper pusher or menial laborer....

Um, I don't know what brought this on. Could be my intense relief in finishing this whole process....more likely could be the packet of food that my mom just sent....

You definitely bring a great point up that I have been thinking about a lot lately. I'd rather have parents who push me to become educated and independent then those who let me loose too much. I've witnessed the negative effects first hand of parents who let their children too loose.

I think we need to stop and consider this once in a while, and thank our parents/community for what its worth...more likely could be the packet of food that my mom just sent....

Good points. I agree with you and hadn't really thought about this much until more recently. At the same time, I do wish Desi parents would break out of the mold a little bit and encourage a broader education. My parents were fairly reasonable about this (I was a non-sci major and they didn't care), but I know many kids who are pressured into their major even though they are bright kids with a future in any fields.

Yes our people do make some good khana. Though your mom's food can't be as good as my mum's food (yeah... it's on) ;) (that is the first emoticon I've ever used... I just didn't want to actually be antagonistic)

On a side note, have any of you noticed how the Indian kids 10 years younger than us are all in "Kumon" doing insane algebra in 3d grade?
While I'm at it... Anyone seen Namesake? I haven't seen it yet, but hope to this weekend. I guess I don't really know what to expect.

Best music = Western classical and K/J-pop!

I am the indian dude who doesn't fit into any category (not fobby enough for the fobs, and not abcd enough for the abcds)... its a lonely world :'(
jk

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: tell me about it.

except im not into western classical... k/j pop?

best music ==> R&B, Linkin Park, and Thievery Corp (no idea what genre they fall into)

Anyone seen Namesake? I haven't seen it yet, but hope to this weekend. I guess I don't really know what to expect.

yeh, i just saw it a couple days ago.
awesome Movie. i am glad mira nair didnt butcher it and followed the book faithfully.

tabu and irrfan khan are perfectly casted and the acting is top notch.:thumbup:

k-pop = korean pop :p
yes.. i am unique

hyori is HOT!

i dont really listen to her music. i just find her hot.

Good points. I agree with you and hadn't really thought about this much until more recently. At the same time, I do wish Desi parents would break out of the mold a little bit and encourage a broader education. My parents were fairly reasonable about this (I was a non-sci major and they didn't care), but I know many kids who are pressured into their major even though they are bright kids with a future in any fields.

Yes our people do make some good khana. Though your mom's food can't be as good as my mum's food (yeah... it's on) ;) (that is the first emoticon I've ever used... I just didn't want to actually be antagonistic)

On a side note, have any of you noticed how the Indian kids 10 years younger than us are all in "Kumon" doing insane algebra in 3d grade?
While I'm at it... Anyone seen Namesake? I haven't seen it yet, but hope to this weekend. I guess I don't really know what to expect.

My mom could beat up...uh, I mean cook-off your mom any day! Actually, my mo grew up as a really fiesty village brat so I bet she could fist fight too :laugh: . Tougher than me for sure....

omg, kumon is a movement in my town. it's ridiculous, especially when I reflect that I basically didn't take math in college. Fat lotta good that'll do all the other suckers (can you tell I'm bitter bc I was only in the highest level math of my grade, not three years ahead like all the rest?).

I echo opinions on namesake. fantastic!!!! really great acting (except this one awkward part about parisian lovers at which I cracked up) and faithful to the book. In fact, better than the book. I didn't really like namesake the boook because it didn't seem very new and insightful, but the movie is very nuanced. Interpreter on the maladies was much better as a book (but of course would never fly as a movie).

hahahaha that's soooooo true. My dance teacher tells me how her younger students are all in Kumon Math and reading centers. I didn't even know what Kumon was when I was growing up because they don't have them in Sarasota. There is one on every major road in Tampa however. Where are you from???

I even saw them in spain :eek: but I guess there's quite a bengali population out there...

Where are you from???

ooh. tough question. I think I have some internal mechanism that keeps me from posting (though apparantly thats changing) and giving up too much about myself. Largely because I have tendency to say stupid things and then regret them... and I hate to have it traced back to me. But.. that's more than you asked for. I'm from Wisco (if I can't trust my Desis, who do I have, right?)

One Aunties 9th grade daughter is doing calculus in Kumon right now. I can't imagine trying to teach myself caluclus!!I also haven't taken any math in college (I left those dark days behind me) and am certain the multivariable bs will never come in handy... (do I sound bitter?)

Looks like I'll have to check out Namesake this weekend. Never read the book though.... One thing I do recommend is "Maximum City" - it's a book about Bombay by Suketo Mehta and it's awesome (if not a little long). I'm on an Indian writers kick and am finally reading Satanic Verses... so far, I liked Midnights Children more (it's was GREAT). Any other recommendations?.. movies, books.
Also, what type of Indian communities do you think med schools have. I know at my undergrad there was a substantial ISA, but I wonder if that translates - no pun intended. Let's just say, I want some to come out with me and break down to Daler.

ooh. tough question. I think I have some internal mechanism that keeps me from posting (though apparantly thats changing) and giving up too much about myself. Largely because I have tendency to say stupid things and then regret them... and I hate to have it traced back to me. But.. that's more than you asked for. I'm from Wisco (if I can't trust my Desis, who do I have, right?)

One Aunties 9th grade daughter is doing calculus in Kumon right now. I can't imagine trying to teach myself caluclus!!I also haven't taken any math in college (I left those dark days behind me) and am certain the multivariable bs will never come in handy... (do I sound bitter?)

Looks like I'll have to check out Namesake this weekend. Never read the book though.... One thing I do recommend is "Maximum City" - it's a book about Bombay by Suketo Mehta and it's awesome (if not a little long). I'm on an Indian writers kick and am finally reading Satanic Verses... so far, I liked Midnights Children more (it's was GREAT). Any other recommendations?.. movies, books.
Also, what type of Indian communities do you think med schools have. I know at my undergrad there was a substantial ISA, but I wonder if that translates - no pun intended. Let's just say, I want some to come out with me and break down to Daler.

I was asking cuz I didn't realize Kumon Math and Reading was a national chain though I guess it makes sense seeing how i've seen some of their books in B&N and other bookstores.

At any rate, yeah I never heard of Kumon until I got to Tampa and would see them always giving ads for part time teaching jobs and then I'd see them all over Tampa by other places where I'd go often. So yeah, my dance teacher was telling me all the desi kids are in Kumon and one of the Kumon centers is even owned by a desi is what this desi girl from USF was telling me.

So I guess that was just a Tampa phenomena. Guess not!!! :rolleyes: :cool:

I know they have an organization called AAPI which is the American Association of Physicians of Indian origin. They have medical school chapters of that. I also know they had some other student organizations for asian americans at some various med schools. Other then that most med students I know are part of the major organizations like AMA and AMSA etc.

BTW we had an ISA but we called it SIA. We were the only school that called it Students of India Association instead of Indian Student Associationl like the other Fl. schools.

We also have a HSC chapter (Hindu student counsil). Although that's a hindu thing we have americans and others interested in hindu culture join and take part in the executive commttee so others are welcome too.

I even saw them in spain :eek: but I guess there's quite a bengali population out there...

Surprisingly I've only ever known a handful of Bengalis. Aside from gujus, the biggest desi groups in majority came from the following:

Punjabi/non punjabi north indo people
Malu people
Telugu people
Pakistani people
and then to a smaller extent Tamil people

Surprisingly I've only ever known a handful of Bengalis. Aside from gujus, the biggest desi groups in majority came from the following:

Punjabi/non punjabi north indo people
Malu people
Telugu people
Pakistani people
and then to a smaller extent Tamil people

*grumbles*

*grumbles*

hahahahahahahaha

Actually something funny about Tamil/malu people is sometimes you can't really tell with them what they are considered cuz many Malu people I know are Tamil in the sense that their origin was from Tamil Nadu but their parents families moved to Kerala so they consider themselves malu. On the other hand there are malu people who's family moved to Tamil Nadu that they consider themselves Tamil but are malu by descent.

Any other recommendations?.. movies, books.

calc in 9th. jesus, kids nowadays... why?

complications - atul gawande (his thoughts about his med school years --really good)

Oh snap! A desi thread how can I resist. Uhmm yeah I am just a normal Punjabi guy (if there is such a thing?). Applying this year and practically stressing before I take the M-kitties in May. Even though I can not stand indian movies.... I did watch Veer Zaara... and cried...*awkward silence*... lets forget i said that. :)

hahahahahahahaha

Actually something funny about Tamil/malu people is sometimes you can't really tell with them what they are considered cuz many Malu people I know are Tamil in the sense that their origin was from Tamil Nadu but their parents families moved to Kerala so they consider themselves malu. On the other hand there are malu people who's family moved to Tamil Nadu that they consider themselves Tamil but are malu by descent.

I tell you though, it's hard to find people my age who speak Tamil though. That said, I speak Tamil like a five year old (literally)

Oh snap! A desi thread how can I resist. Uhmm yeah I am just a normal Punjabi guy (if there is such a thing?). Applying this year and practically stressing before I take the M-kitties in May. Even though I can not stand indian movies.... I did watch Veer Zaara... and cried...*awkward silence*... lets forget i said that. :)

veer zara? :sleep: :sleep:

i hate bollywood for cranking out 5 billion ****ty movies per year. i wish they (the ppl that make the movies) would pay some attn to detail and make the movies worth watching.

there are rarely good desi movies but there are some. you just have to look for them... some off the top of my head:

rang de basanti
company
dil chahta hai
sarkaar
lagaan
swades
guru
yuva
dil vil pyar vyar (the songs are redone masterfully)
hera pheri

I tell you though, it's hard to find people my age who speak Tamil though. That said, I speak Tamil like a five year old (literally)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too funny!!! Yeah I think on facebook the few Tamilians I know had a group that showed the map of the state of Tamil Nadu, and the point of the group was to say stop mistaking us for malus when we are Tamilian just because there are so many of you malus out there. It was kind of funny.

veer zara? :sleep: :sleep:

i hate bollywood for cranking out 5 billion ****ty movies per year. i wish they (the ppl that make the movies) would pay some attn to detail and make the movies worth watching.

there are rarely good desi movies but there are some. you just have to look for them... some off the top of my head:

rang de basanti
company
dil chahta hai
sarkaar
lagaan
swades
guru
yuva
dil vil pyar vyar (the songs are redone masterfully)
hera pheri

haha youlisted some of my favorite movies. I haven't seen all of them but of the ones I've seen or at least heard the music of, I'd say Guru, Dil Chahta Hai, and Lagaan all top!! Swades is good too in terms of music. Not seen the actual movie. I'd also add the following:

Hum Dil De Chukke Sanam
Bend it Like Bekham (although this is not necessarily a bollywood movie per se).
And as corny love storyish this move is I think DDLJ was one of my favorite all time movies along with Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

But yeah I agree that you got to dig around to find good desi movies that really stand out.

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah Veer Zara was another one of those corny love story movies but somehow still somewhat of a good movie. The songs from Veer Zara were nice though.

calc in 9th. jesus, kids nowadays... why?

complications - atul gawande (his thoughts about his med school years --really good)

Read the book recently, interesting read however very cynical with a lot of the conclusions IMO.

Read the book recently, interesting read however very cynical with a lot of the conclusions IMO.

Has anyone read any of the 3 Ben Carson books??? I started reading "Gifted Hands" and intend on finishing it cuz it seems to be such an inspirational book.

Also, one more thing Raas does not really compare because the significance of true traditional raas was only the 4-5 step version. The modern version is just people's new choreography but the 4-5 step version or old version was a folk dance performed at a once a year religious ceremony. Folk dances and classical dances are completely seperate. To make the comparison of Bharatanatyam you'd have to compare it to something more like acting in a play or to something more like ballet because in both of the latter cases they are cases of intricate stage performances which involve telling a much deeper story through their actions whereas Raas and garba are originally performed in a simple manner as folk dances and not originally meant to be competition or stage performed pieces though they have become both of the above in modern culture.

Bharatanatyam however was meant both as a devotion to the gods in the temples and as something to be performed before an audience.

Bharatanatyam is better compared to my analogy of martial arts then it is to folk dances if you ask my opinion. The reason for this is because it takes years and years of training and even after you finish arangetram you haven't exactly finished learning you've just stepped onto the beginning of a never ending ladder. Raas on the other hand is not a structured dance that requires years of training to do.

I am the biggest Raas/garba fan ever! and raas in itself is a dedication to god
it's true..Raas has changed from its simpler traditional form to one where our generation has changed it to take it as a way of competing with each other. This might not have been the original purpose, but I think it's a great change because it gets our generation to get interested and participate in our culture. We have added our own dimensions and make it meaningful. See, it's art..art is how you perceive it ...what you take, put your own feelings, experiences etc to it and view the final product as something you can relate to..and this is exactly what all of us american-indians have done! Originally, I used to be repulsed by the fact that there were cheerleading stunts and moves and stuff in raas competitions and that was really not raas...
but if you take all that aside...you see a beautiful combination of tradition and change...I think it's evolution and something our generation to be proud of...and ofcourse friendly competitions are always always healthy!
btw...if anyone is interested ..there is a big fusion/raas/bhangra national competition in Iowa this weekend...our school's gonna go compete there