Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
You guys probably don't know me. I've been posting more on the MCAT forum. Black female overhere! I'm graduating June 3rd. BS in Biology with a minor in Journalism. I was supposed to take the April MCAT but the week before the exam I decided I wanted to prepare some more. I'll be taking in August. I won't be applying until next year. It pains to have to be out of school for two years but my situation is a little different to most. I have to get my permanent residency in order and I have to help my mom finacially. Can't just run off to med school. That would be selfish. So to all the people who complain about filling out secondaries and going to interviews, be thankful to be given such an opportunity. I know when my turn comes (next year God willing) I will gladly fill out every application thanking God every step of the way.

Members don't see this ad.

igbophysician said:
I've been thinking about what to do with my summer after MSI. I really want to work in Nigeria - especially Igboland, but I'm not aware of any programs that are available.

I went to Nigeria two summers ago(July) and I paid $1700 through KLM.

UDO

I don't know if this would work but try looking through NIAID(Nat'l Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases)/NIH for some funding possibilities.

princessd3 said:
It pains to have to be out of school for two years but my situation is a little different to most. I have to get my permanent residency in order and I have to help my mom finacially. Can't just run off to med school. QUOTE]

I was in a similar situation a few years ago so I know EXACTLY how you feel. Do what you have to do now, because in the end it will all work out just fine! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any unique or specific goals to accomplish as a physician?

I was thinking about it really hard the other day, I really want to make sure I come back to my undergrad as a physician and spea to minority health organizations, provide scholarships for struggling minority premeds and serve as a resource for shadowing, writing recommendation letters, et cetera.

It wasn't until I went to Columbia MMEP that I realized that there were black physicians and they had overcome the odds. They were doing well and were highly respected in their fields.

Hi everybody,
I'm a black female, just got accepted in March. I've been a healthcare professional for a few years now, but I decided I wanted a more integral role in patient care. I have all kinds of emotions going on right now, it almost doesn't seem real. :) I'm completely out of the loop, so the internet is my only source of information.

Oh yeah, here's a question I wanted to ask. Do any of you guys have braids or locks?? Has that caused any problems during internship or residency? I have small locks that are about to my mid-back. Fortunately, I'm able to put them in either a ponytail or a bun. Just wanted to know if it may cause some big "issue".

hokte said:
Oh yeah, here's a question I wanted to ask. Do any of you guys have braids or locks?? Has that caused any problems during internship or residency? I have small locks that are about to my mid-back. Fortunately, I'm able to put them in either a ponytail or a bun. Just wanted to know if it may cause some big "issue".

Depends on where you live. The East Coast is much more progressive then here in the South. I seldom see women sporting locs in Texas, I don't understand why. During my internship and residency years I definitely plan on wearing braids because of the convenience and manageability. I can get them redone after every clerkship. I will be taking them out during interviews. It sucks but if I am being interviewed by an old white male I have to appear "presentable" in his eyes. That means getting my hair relaxed.

I love locs :love: I'm not locking/locked, but I wear my hair natural. I plan on wearing buns for my interviews *when I get there some day*

For my interviews I retwisted my roots and then pulled my locks back into a high bun. I think that it was professional, but it is always a question when youre dealing with a style that's not mainstream. I'm in Oklahoma, and I think I've run into one other woman with locs. Its definately not popular. We have that old time southern mentality about straight hair. There is absolutely nothing wrong with straight hair, but when you start trying to equate it to an individuals intelligence or professionalism...... Well, I think ya'll know what I mean. :)

hokte said:
For my interviews I retwisted my roots and then pulled my locks back into a high bun. I think that it was professional, but it is always a question when youre dealing with a style that's not mainstream. I'm in Oklahoma, and I think I've run into one other woman with locs. Its definately not popular. We have that old time southern mentality about straight hair. There is absolutely nothing wrong with straight hair, but when you start trying to equate it to an individuals intelligence or professionalism...... Well, I think ya'll know what I mean. :)

I feel you. On the otherhand though, it aggravates me that when they show women with locs or dreads on TV, they are always these neo-soul, spiritual, nature-like black women. Rarely are locs/dreads associated with sex appeal, or professionalism.

ndi_amaka said:
I feel you. On the otherhand though, it aggravates me that when they show women with locs or dreads on TV, they are always these neo-soul, spiritual, nature-like black women. Rarely are locs/dreads associated with sex appeal, or professionalism.

This is so true!

ndi_amaka said:
Depends on where you live. The East Coast is much more progressive then here in the South. I seldom see women sporting locs in Texas, I don't understand why. During my internship and residency years I definitely plan on wearing braids because of the convenience and manageability. I can get them redone after every clerkship. I will be taking them out during interviews. It sucks but if I am being interviewed by an old white male I have to appear "presentable" in his eyes. That means getting my hair relaxed.
you dont have to get your hair relaxed....at the most get it pressed so it can go back to its natural state or jus keep it natural in a bun

i'm a black female premed. it would be good to have a support group.

by the way how many of you are african ie immigrant or 1st or second generation? I have been noticing that there are quite a lot of african premeds. and as africans do u consider yourself african-american or not? that term african-american really isn't adequate. do african-americans consider african immigrants or 1st, 2nd generation as african-americans? i was discussing this topic with someone and would like your points of view. i'd like to hear about your opinions and experiences from both sides.

Members don't see this ad :)
Farrah said:
i'm a black female premed. it would be good to have a support group.

by the way how many of you are african ie immigrant or 1st or second generation? I have been noticing that there are quite a lot of african premeds. and as africans do u consider yourself african-american or not? that term african-american really isn't adequate. do african-americans consider african immigrants or 1st, 2nd generation as african-americans? i was discussing this topic with someone and would like your points of view. i'd like to hear about your opinions and experiences from both sides.

Search for African Born African-Americans

Spitting Camel said:
Search for African Born African-Americans

I really don't think it is appropriate for you to comment. i simply am bringing up some of the issues of african-american and african premeds. Okay Gamal, Imshi. Khallas. whatever.

NubianPrincess said:
I love locs :love: I'm not locking/locked, but I wear my hair natural. I plan on wearing buns for my interviews *when I get there some day*
Noobs. Long time no see.

black male here. ignore my little picture on the left, i like snow thats all. good idea to start this post. are there any black premeds here in south carolina? let me know who u r. i think it would be nice to get together and chat. my AOL sn is tae1703. msn is [email protected]

Hey guys! As far as the natural hair thing, my hair is natural, and will hopefull be big and bodacious by the time I get to 3rd year! I kinda agree that for interviews and stuff, you have to look like they want you to look. I would never straighten my hair permanently for that, but I probably would press it, or just slick it into a bun or pony. By the way, do you guys know about www.nappturality.com?? It's a great resource for people who are natural, locked, or thinking about going natural.

@ ndi_amaka, I too would like to work with minority high school students/undergrads and create a mentoring and scholarship program for them. It is so important to start early. I wish someone had reached out to me when I was struggling freshman year.

Farrah. I'm a 1st generation African American. It seems to me that there are many more Africans (primarily Nigerians) in medical school compared to African Americans. I wonder what effect this will have on how we approach medicine. Many of us witnessed firsthand how much our parents struggled when they first got here and even a few of us had to go through that struggle by themselves. Because of the issues between Africans and African Americans (the "akata" argument) what kind of doctor-patient relationships will we have??

Jamaican MD said:
@ ndi_amaka, I too would like to work with minority high school students/undergrads and create a mentoring and scholarship program for them. It is so important to start early. I wish someone had reached out to me when I was struggling freshman year.

Does it seem like every black student struggled their first year?? I think this was the truly critical period for me. You are out of your neighborhood...away from your family...and that transition from high school to college is so hard, especially if you didn't go to a very good high school.

ndi_amaka said:
Is it just me or do you feel that the overwhelming majority of black people in medicine are female?? Why the extremely low numbers of men trying to pursue an MD?

I've tried to figure that out here in Austin ... I found out our black student high school graduation rate in Texas is around 55% or so ... and this article from BET.com makes it gender-specific.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3919177/

I think the most dramatic problem for black, other minority, or just poor students is the amazingly crappy K-12 public education system. It's so difficult just to get a diploma when you go through a bad school system, no wonder there are few trying to get an MD. This is something migrant workers' children, inner city children, as well as po country folk have to deal with. Because our public schools are supported by property taxes, the quality of education is automatically uneven when poor students attend poor schools. We had a "Robin Hood" system here for a while, where richer districts (involuntarily) supported poorer ones, but I think it just got revoked. The other problem in my personal experience is a culture of 'hatin' as far as peer pressure and even family influence goes. Other ethnicities have the opposite problem of extreme pressure to attain specific goals.

ndi_amaka said:
Does it seem like every black student struggled their first year?? I think this was the truly critical period for me. You are out of your neighborhood...away from your family...and that transition from high school to college is so hard, especially if you didn't go to a very good high school.

Definitely! If you are the first to go to college, and you want to be a professional as well, you don't have mom and dad guiding you, telling you who to contact, which classes to take, how to spend your summer doint research, etc. Or you quite simply have to work, and can't afford to go to all the pre-med meetings, or whatever. As much as people act up on SDN, this is a VERY good source of info for us. ESPECIALLY if we don't have any doctors in the family to help us out. I've learned a lot on SDN, but I didn't find this site until after I graduated. I definitely try and spread the word about SDN to other pre-meds (black or white).

Jamaican MD said:
Definitely! If you are the first to go to college, and you want to be a professional as well, you don't have mom and dad guiding you, telling you who to contact, which classes to take, how to spend your summer doint research, etc. Or you quite simply have to work, and can't afford to go to all the pre-med meetings, or whatever. As much as people act up on SDN, this is a VERY good source of info for us. ESPECIALLY if we don't have any doctors in the family to help us out. I've learned a lot on SDN, but I didn't find this site until after I graduated. I definitely try and spread the word about SDN to other pre-meds (black or white).

Yes. Minus some of the narrow mindedness and high strung commentary, this site is extremely helpful.

curlycity said:
I've tried to figure that out here in Austin ... I found out our black student high school graduation rate in Texas is around 55% or so ... and this article from BET.com makes it gender-specific.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3919177/

I think the most dramatic problem for black, other minority, or just poor students is the amazingly crappy K-12 public education system. It's so difficult just to get a diploma when you go through a bad school system, no wonder there are few trying to get an MD. This is something migrant workers' children, inner city children, as well as po country folk have to deal with. Because our public schools are supported by property taxes, the quality of education is automatically uneven when poor students attend poor schools. We had a "Robin Hood" system here for a while, where richer districts (involuntarily) supported poorer ones, but I think it just got revoked. The other problem in my personal experience is a culture of 'hatin' as far as peer pressure and even family influence goes. Other ethnicities have the opposite problem of extreme pressure to attain specific goals.

Oh don't get me started. I remember being harrassed to death by my AA peers because i took my textbooks home even when there was no assigned homework. ANd God forbid that I didn't use the ebonics vernacular and "talked white." Fortunately the ignorance ended after HS graduation but I still sometimes get the raised eyebrow.

ndi_amaka said:
I was thinking about it really hard the other day, I really want to make sure I come back to my undergrad as a physician and spea to minority health organizations, provide scholarships for struggling minority premeds and serve as a resource for shadowing, writing recommendation letters, et cetera. .

Just a friendly suggestion to everyone, please, please, plese don't wait until you become a doc before you start trying to reach back to other minority students. I speak to minority undergrads here at NIH and I also speak to high school students at my old high school when I go home. Obviously, I haven't yet attained my goal but you'd be suprised at just how helpful you can be NOW to other minority students with "just" a Bachelor's degree. Keep in mind that many students despite all the "freedom negroes have in America", are first generation college students so educating them to the MD process in critical to get a flow of minorities in the MD pipeline.

pathdr2b said:
Just a friendly suggestion to everyone, please, please, plese don't wait until you become a doc before you start trying to reach back to other minority students. I speak to minority undergrads here at NIH and I also speak to high school students at my old high school when I go home. Obviously, I haven't yet attained my goal but you'd be suprised at just how helpful you can be NOW to other minority students with "just" a Bachelor's degree. Keep in mind that many students despite all the "freedom negroes have in America", are first generation college students so educating them to the MD process in critical to get a flow of minorities in the MD pipeline.

Well said, I totally agree!! I know I get excited anytime I hear someone is pre-med, and basically hound them to give them advice. Just did it to 2 of my lil sister's friends yesterday :D Point is, I learned the hard way and i dont want them to go thru anything that I went thru, cause the process is really a whole lot simpler/easier if u do ur homework earlier.
I know i learn/take in a lot from my peers who are already in med schl. If anything seeing how much they were able to accomplish in med schl makes me feel like i can do likewise.

What med schls are people going to/lookin at goin?

Farrah said:
I really don't think it is appropriate for you to comment. i simply am bringing up some of the issues of african-american and african premeds. Okay Gamal, Imshi. Khallas. whatever.

he is right though, just being helpful, we had a thread on that in which we all gave our 2 cents.

ndi_amaka said:
Does it seem like every black student struggled their first year?? I think this was the truly critical period for me.

I think this is especially true for black freshman at predominately white universities. Okay, lemme get my flame ******ant suit on, but I personally think minority students interested in science or medicine SHOULD attend HBCU's for undergrad. The support there is unsupurased and if you even a little interest, someone there will not only suport you but make sure you make it through.
For example, those of my peers that went running off to non HBCU's in the early 80's thinking that the education was "better" were in for a HUGE suprise when we got there and realized that racism was not only alive and well but kickin some serious a$$ too. Of the 15 or so minority premeds I knew at UF, only about 3 or so actually made it to medical school. Of the 10 or so premed's at various HBCU's, 9 are now Physicians and the other is PhD. The only exceptions I would add are the ones that went to the Ivy league, they did make it to graduate and medical schools.
I know in the end everyone has to attend the school that's "right" for them, but I always encourage the minority students I know that are interested in science and medicine to give the HBCU's a serious look.

lotanna said:
Well said, I totally agree!! I know I get excited anytime I hear someone is pre-med, and basically hound them to give them advice. Just did it to 2 of my lil sister's friends yesterday :D Point is, I learned the hard way and i dont want them to go thru anything that I went thru, cause the process is really a whole lot simpler/easier if u do ur homework earlier.
I know i learn/take in a lot from my peers who are already in med schl. If anything seeing how much they were able to accomplish in med schl makes me feel like i can do likewise.

What med schls are people going to/lookin at goin?

Howard is my TOP choice!

pathdr2b said:
I think this is especially true for black freshman at predominately white universities. Okay, lemme get my flame ******ant suit on, but I personally think minority students interested in science or medicine SHOULD attend HBCU's for undergrad. The support there is unsupurased and if you even a little interest, someone there will not only suport you but make sure you make it through.
For example, those of my peers that went running off to non HBCU's in the early 80's thinking that the education was "better" were in for a HUGE suprise when we got there and realized that racism was not only alive and well but kickin some serious a$$ too. Of the 15 or so minority premeds I knew at UF, only about 3 or so actually made it to medical school. Of the 10 or so premed's at various HBCU's, 9 are now Physicians and the other is PhD. The only exceptions I would add are the ones that went to the Ivy league, they did make it to graduate and medical schools.
I know in the end everyone has to attend the school that's "right" for them, but I always encourage the minority students I know that are interested in science and medicine to give the HBCU's a serious look.

interesting out of most of black pre-meds at my undergrad, i can count on my fingers how may ened up in med schl. I run into some every now and then, and its 1 story after another: not wanting to retake MCAT, not sure exactly what they want.

lotanna said:
interesting out of most of black pre-meds at my undergrad, i can count on my fingers how may ened up in med schl. I run into some every now and then, and its 1 story after another: not wanting to retake MCAT, not sure exactly what they want.

You went to MSU, right? I'm pretty sure MSu has a good history at the Undergrad and Medical school levels as far as URM's are concerned.

Now that I think about it I should say that my above post is especially true for Southern non-HBCU universities.

[QUOTE What med schls are people going to/lookin at goin?[/QUOTE]

:oops:
Below is list, but I'm still working on it. :p

1. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine :love: :love: (my number one choice!!!)
2. All of the Florida Schools (wouldn't mind going back to my home state:) )
3. George Washington (D.C.)
4. Cornell
5. *Albert Einstein
6. Suny Downstate
7. Suny Upstate
8. Albany Medical College
9. Stony Brook
10. Temple
11. Jefferson Medical College
12. Drexel
13. Loma Linda
14. UCLA-Drew Medical Program
15. Meharry
16 .Howard
17 .Morehouse
18. Emory
19. UMDNJ--Robert Wood Johnson
20. UMDNJ--NJ Medical School
21. *Harvard

*= still undecided..

pathdr2b said:

I really hate having to do this because I do love my undergrad, I completely agree with you. I go to a predominately white university where I am usually the only black person in my class of one hundred or more. I learned alot of things far too late and would have fallen through the cracks without the support of my family ("Education first" is our mantra) and a few friends I met along the way. In fact, near the end of my freshman year, I got alot of my advice from the Xavier University Premed website. I figured out how to write a CV through them, minority summer opportunities, and a timetable, et cetera. Even how to approach my profs. This is stuff I would never have figured out or been told at my university. It's a sink or swim mentality around here that does not benefit alot of students.

docjolly said:

4. Cornell
5. *Albert Einstein
6. Suny Downstate
7. Suny Upstate
9. Stony Brook
10. Temple
12. Drexel
13. Loma Linda
15. Meharry
16 .Howard
17 .Morehouse
18. Emory
21. *Harvard

*= still undecided..

I love MSSM too, they have a pretty good path dept and are doing some URM specific research in pretty decent numbers! But UF, I dunno know about that one although I understand your desire to go home. Get in touch with Dr.Donna Parker at UF ASAP BEFORE you submit your app and after you get your MCAT's back. We went to undergrad together and she's pretty cool!

pathdr2b said:
I love MSSM too, they have a pretty good path dept and are doing some URM specific research in pretty decent numbers! But UF, I dunno know about that one although I understand your desire to go home. Get in touch with Dr.Donna Parker at UF ASAP BEFORE you submit your app and after you get your MCAT's back. We went to undergrad together and she's pretty cool!

Pathdr2b,

thanks for the advice! :) But who is Dr. Donna Parker? Will you be applying to MSSM as well??? what schools are you interested in?

docjolly said:
Pathdr2b,

thanks for the advice! :) But who is Dr. Donna Parker?

Now Imma have to give you guys a "virtual spankin" for this. :laugh: Right now, today, go the to the web site of EACH an EVERY school you're interested in, find out who the minority affairs contact is (most schools have them), and send them an email of interest describing your credentials. You need to get a "face" on the application LONG before you apply because many URM's don't have parents that went to undergrad with members of the admissions committees. In other words, you gotta start networking NOW!
And apologize if that sounded too mean.

Okay, Dr.Parker is the Minority affairs cooridinator at UF and I also think she has a voice on the admissions committee too (some cooridinators do). She was there last year and as far as I know nothing has changed.

pathdr2b said:
You went to MSU, right? I'm pretty sure MSu has a good history at the Undergrad and Medical school levels as far as URM's are concerned.

Now that I think about it I should say that my above post is especially true for Southern non-HBCU universities.

yup yup MSU all the way.
MSU actually tries, they have certain progs for undergrad pre-med students that provides a whole lot of academic resources to do well. Plus the med schl is pretty diverse compared to other schls

docjolly said:
Pathdr2b, Will you be applying to MSSM as well??? what schools are you interested in?

As it stands now, I'm limited to the DC metro area. As to the schools I'm applying to, I KNOW this is "dangerous" but there is only one school I'm seriously interested in today for medical school and that's Howard. The problem is that they don't have a PhD in Pathology but I'm really feeling the program at Hopkins (Commuting to Baltimore from Bethesda for medical school doesn't see like a realistic choice for a Mom/Wife especially during the 3rd year). As strange as an arrangement like this sounds, I have a close friend that finished up her PhD last summer at a West Coast school while a MD student on the East coast (She already had a Master's from this school so when she finished it, she did 2 years of medical school, then took a leave of ansence to finish up the PhD). My friend just started her 4th year of med school and right now, a similar option looks good to me. :thumbup:

What I've realized being at NIH and what I've been told by many Ivy League MD's here is that in the end, where you went to med school doesn't matter as much once you've been at NIH. Although for people interested in careers in academia, where you get the PhD DOES seem to matter.

A Howard MD, Hopkins PhD, with dissertation research at NIH sounds dam good to me! :D

pathdr2b said:
Now Imma have to give you guys a "virtual spankin" for this. :laugh: Right now, today, go the to the web site of EACH an EVERY school you're interested in, find out who the minority affairs contact is (most schools have them), and send them an email of interest describing your credentials. You need to get a "face" on the application LONG before you apply because many URM's don't have parents that went to undergrad with members of the admissions committees. In other words, you gotta start networking NOW!
And apologize if that sounded too mean.

Okay, Dr.Parker is the Minority affairs cooridinator at UF and I also think she has a voice on the admissions committee too (some cooridinators do). She was there last year and as far as I know nothing has changed.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
(timidly replying to this post..)

Thanks a million pathdr2b!!! My premed. advisor certainly never suggested that I do this, and I guess that I should have thought of it on my own :oops:
Well, better late than never, right? Don't worry about sounding mean..I think I need to be whipped into shape about this whole process..Even before it has begun, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed..studying for the MCAT, researching med. schools, writing my personal statment, requesting transcripts, and grading my students papers/exams...I am working really hard to get organized so that this entire process won't be as hard as it seems...

pathdr2b said:

yup yup. MSU had a special prog for minority pre-meds with great acdemic resources. Plus med schl is big on diversity and minority excellence.

docjolly said:

4. Cornell
5. *Albert Einstein
6. Suny Downstate
7. Suny Upstate
9. Stony Brook
10. Temple
12. Drexel
13. Loma Linda
15. Meharry
16 .Howard
17 .Morehouse
18. Emory
21. *Harvard

*= still undecided..

wow long list...financially speakin should be interestin :D u'll prob have to do some revising along the way :laugh:

lotanna said:
wow long list...financially speakin should be interestin :D u'll prob have to do some revising along the way :laugh:

:oops: :oops:
(shaking my head)

I know, I know..I may have to narrow the list down by 5-7 schools..
Interestingly, I started a savings account for my med. school applications/interviews..every paycheck I get, I set aside a couple of hundred dollars for med.school alone.. :p

Lotanna,

how many schools did you apply to? Around how much money did you spend in applying to schools?

pathdr2b said:
As it stands now, I'm limited to the DC metro area. As to the schools I'm applying to, I KNOW this is "dangerous" but there is only one school I'm seriously interested in today for medical school and that's Howard. The problem is that they don't have a PhD in Pathology but I'm really feeling the program at Hopkins (Commuting to Baltimore from Bethesda for medical school doesn't see like a realistic choice for a Mom/Wife especially during the 3rd year). As strange as an arrangement like this sounds, I have a close friend that finished up her PhD last summer at a West Coast school while a MD student on the East coast (She already had a Master's from this school so when she finished it, she did 2 years of medical school, then took a leave of ansence to finish up the PhD). My friend just started her 4th year of med school and right now, a similar option looks good to me. :thumbup:

What I've realized being at NIH and what I've been told by many Ivy League MD's here is that in the end, where you went to med school doesn't matter as much once you've been at NIH. Although for people interested in careers in academia, where you get the PhD DOES seem to matter.

A Howard MD, Hopkins PhD, with dissertation research at NIH sounds dam good to me! :D

Sounds great! I'd hire u :D

docjolly said:
:oops: :oops:
(shaking my head)

I know, I know..I may have to narrow the list down by 5-7 schools..
Interestingly, I started a savings account for my med. school applications/interviews..every paycheck I get, I set aside a couple of hundred dollars for med.school alone.. :p

Lotanna,

how many schools did you apply to? Around how much money did you spend in applying to schools?

well 1st time i applied i did 15, i really wasted some $ with the secondaries too...this time around i did 9, but it was highly selective, i decided not to keep track of how much i was spending, but its all worth it to get that 1 acceptance u know!

Apply to ur state schls
Schls u'd really love to go to
Schls u've a realistic shot at
Schls that have a strong minority agenda/recruitment prog(UIC, MSU-CHM,Case?)
Howard, Meharry and maybe Morehouse

lotanna said:
well 1st time i applied i did 15, i really wasted some $ with the secondaries too...this time around i did 9, but it was highly selective, i decided not to keep track of how much i was spending, but its all worth it to get that 1 acceptance u know!

Apply to ur state schls
Schls u'd really love to go to
Schls u've a realistic shot at
Schls that have a strong minority agenda/recruitment prog(UIC, MSU-CHM,Case?)
Howard, Meharry and maybe Morehouse

Great advice, Lotanna! :clap:

Now can I hold you to that job offer? You know you will be out of school and practicing loooooooooooooooong before me !

pathdr2b said:
Great advice, Lotanna! :clap:

Now can I hold you to that job offer? You know you will be out of school and practicing loooooooooooooooong before me !

If i dont decide to become a surgeon and spend decades in training yeah :laugh:

This thread rocks, down with the haterz :thumbdown:

Okay, so I admit it. I haven't done much research on where I want to apply. Mt. Sinai hospital brought me in to this world, so it can't be that bad ;)
My cousin tells me that I really shouldn't apply to Howard because of something about them battling losing accreditation. I tried researching it, but still can't figure out what he's talking about. Can anyone confirm/deny Howard rumors?

My state schools have decent reputations, but I don't wanna live in upstate NY (no offense to any upstaters).

NubianPrincess said:
My cousin tells me that I really shouldn't apply to Howard because of something about them battling losing accreditation.

Yes, I think 2 departments at Howard were at risk for loosing accreditation. But so were departments at Yale and Hopkins(last year).

I personally don't think you should keep Howard off the list for this reason. I know some Howard MD graduates that have gone on to residencies at schools such as Hopkins, UVa, and UNC-Chapel Hill just to name a few so they must be doing something right. At this level of the game, education is what you make it!

NubianPrincess said:
Okay, so I admit it. I haven't done much research on where I want to apply. Mt. Sinai hospital brought me in to this world, so it can't be that bad ;)
My cousin tells me that I really shouldn't apply to Howard because of something about them battling losing accreditation. I tried researching it, but still can't figure out what he's talking about. Can anyone confirm/deny Howard rumors?

My state schools have decent reputations, but I don't wanna live in upstate NY (no offense to any upstaters).

Hi NubianPrincess,

I agree with you on that upstate thing (I'm a city girl..). But, I want to keep my options open, so I'm considering applying to at least two of NY's upstate schools..Pathdr2b brought up a good pt. about getting to know the Minority Afffairs departments at the schools..I'm definitely going to get started on that..Are you thinking of applying to schools outside of NY?

I'm not sure about Howard's situation. I'm only certain that one of the Pennsylvania schools (Temple?) just got out of the hot seat for losing its accredation. But then it regained it about 1-2 months ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.