Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone!! I just wanted to say to everyone how happy I am to see all you amazing and positve black women out there supporting one another!! This is my first time posting a thread and I am so happy that it's on this forum. I'm about to leave and go study for the rest of the day for finals but I will be back later on tonight to join in on all of the discussions

Have a great day everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

ndi_amaka said:
*scoots over* There's always space for the brothers. :)

I haven't been in 6 yrs either. I pray I get to go because I honestly don't know what other time I'll have, you know?

Are you in med school?

I will be in a few months (class of 2008). Haven't decided where I am going though. At this point I am wondering if it is worth it giving up a $35000 grant from Columbia just to attend my state school in Cali. I really cannot stand the cold. Where are you heading?

lotanna said:
wow I paid 1000 in March thru KLM but still not bad, what airline are u using?

on anoda note...BRING ME SUYA :laugh:

I am using KLM too. Funny how the price practically doubles in the summer. Men, I am going to do a number on the suya back home, unsanitary conditions and all that. I don't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
supereagles said:
I will be in a few months (class of 2008). Haven't decided where I am going though. At this point I am wondering if it is worth it giving up a $35000 grant from Columbia just to attend my state school in Cali. I really cannot stand the cold. Where are you heading?

Columbia is a great choice especially for URM's. Must be nice to have choices! :thumbup:

supereagles said:
I am using KLM too. Funny how the price practically doubles in the summer. Men, I am going to do a number on the suya back home, unsanitary conditions and all that. I don't care.

hey i survived, we all did, and we enjoyed suya and chicken suya. We ate it like it was goin outta style :laugh:
Anyway make sure u take ur Larium though, dont want to be comin back with malaria, then u'll be better off treating urself.

lotanna said:
hey i survived, we all did, and we enjoyed suya and chicken suya. We ate it like it was goin outta style :laugh:
Anyway make sure u take ur Larium though, dont want to be comin back with malaria, then u'll be better off treating urself.

You guys talking about meals, but do you plan to hook up any of the rest of us with these dishes from the Motherland? Common, at least share a recipe or 2! :D

pathdr2b said:
You guys talking about meals, but do you plan to hook up any of the rest of us with these dishes from the Motherland? Common, at least share a recipe or 2! :D

Fo sho!! :p
Its nothin crazy, just be open minded, my best friend(from Detroit) was in Nigeria with me in March and ate more Nigerian fod than i did :laugh:

One common one, actually known not just in Nigeria but all of West Africa is Jollof rice, if ur from down south, its similar to Red rice, with spices added and tastier.

lotanna said:
One common one, actually known not just in Nigeria but all of West Africa is Jollof rice, if ur from down south, its similar to Red rice, with spices added and tastier.

Been there, ate that! I love what they call in the Dc area Afri-Caribean(sp) food!!!! :love:

Gimme some callas with that spicy pepper dipping sauce!

pathdr2b said:
Been there, ate that! I love what they call in the Dc area Afri-Caribean(sp) food!!!! :love:

Gimme some callas with that spicy pepper dipping sauce!

yup Caribbean and African food are quite similar in regards to spices and all, just different names. I'm sure u've had plantain then...mmm yummy :p

lotanna said:
yup Caribbean and African food are quite similar in regards to spices and all, just different names. I'm sure u've had plantain then...mmm yummy :p

Yes I have, but now I'm STARVING!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

bumpin this to the top!!
wassup ladies :p

Hi Everyone!!!

Hope all is going well. I'm actually heading out to get some coffee, and then it's off to study for the MCAT. Then, when I come home, I have to write my lesson plan for tomorrow... :eek:

What's everyone else up to?

lotanna said:
bumpin this to the top!!
wassup ladies :p

Nuthin too much! Gettign ready to cook dinner :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
:p gettin ready to go runnin in a bit...doesnt seem to be enough hrs in the day now, wonder how med schl will be :(

@docjolly, u started studyin for mCAT already? are u using EK?

pathdr2b said:
Nuthin too much! Gettign ready to cook dinner :mad:

Fiance' saves the day!! We're having take-out Chinese for dinner tonight! :clap:

pathdr2b said:
Fiance' saves the day!! We're having take-out Chinese for dinner tonight! :clap:

another reason to get married to him, talk about noticing that ur not in the mood/tired to cook :thumbup:

Although this thread has turned into a ******ed "should be pm-ing these messages" thread, I am proud of you guys for keeping it up so long! You guys must take shifts or something! Haha... :laugh:

Spitting Camel said:
Although this thread has turned into a ******ed "should be pm-ing these messages" thread, I am proud of you guys for keeping it up so long! You guys must take shifts or something! Haha... :laugh:

its all part of the support system, cant just deal with academic issues alone, need to be well rounded :p

Thanks, we try :D

Spitting Camel said:

well, you do have a point..but there's more to this specific thread than just race, gender, and medical school acceptances...there's no harm in supporting one another and talking about the daily, simple things that we do..that's probably why there's so little hostility in this forum :D

lotanna said:
:p gettin ready to go runnin in a bit...doesnt seem to be enough hrs in the day now, wonder how med schl will be :(

@docjolly, u started studyin for mCAT already? are u using EK?

Lotanna,

My Kaplan mcat course started two weeks ago..Interestingly, I do have some EK materials, sent to me (about 2-3 months ago) by none other than Bullhorn :clap:..she's so very sweet! I don't think she comes to SDN much now that she's gotten accepted..

docjolly said:
Lotanna,

My Kaplan mcat course started two weeks ago..Interestingly, I do have some EK materials, sent to me (about 2-3 months ago) by none other than Bullhorn :clap:..she's so very sweet! I don't think she comes to SDN much now that she's gotten accepted..

nice nice!! EK rocks!! It saved my life and ndi_amaka's as well :D
Their Bio is awesome and Verbal is best ever!!!
thats really nice of bullhorn, so many resources available on here! Medicine is so much about teamwork, and i've found out that I take in a lot from my peers and seeing what they are doing in their lives. I'm more in awe of med students than i am, old gray physicians :laugh:

Spitting Camel said:

I think eating is essential to becoming a good physician! :p

lotanna said:
another reason to get married to him, talk about noticing that ur not in the mood/tired to cook :thumbup:
Yes he's great, I'm just hoping he doesn't suddenly become "******ed" when I start med school :laugh:

pathdr2b said:
Yes he's great, I'm just hoping he doesn't suddenly become "******ed" when I start med school :laugh:

at least 1 person gotta maintain their level of sanity. You can start singin Ruben's song I'm sorry 2005-2012 to him for all the yrs of insane madness he'll go thru while tryin to deal with u in MD/Phd prog :D

lotanna said:
at least 1 person gotta maintain their level of sanity. You can start singin Ruben's song I'm sorry 2005-2012 to him for all the yrs of insane madness he'll go thru while tryin to deal with u in MD/Phd prog :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOVE the song BTW, but is the CD any good?

pathdr2b said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOVE the song BTW, but is the CD any good?

heard mixed reviews bout it now that Prince CD is off the hook!!

lotanna said:
heard mixed reviews bout it now that Prince CD is off the hook!!
So what do you plan to do before med school? I think if I were in your situation I'd be bored to death with nothing to do but work and wait!

Jamaican MD.....you're female? For some reason Ialways thought you were male. I guess I should call myself Trini MD.

princessd3 said:
Jamaican MD.....you're female? For some reason Ialways thought you were male. I guess I should call myself Trini MD.

Yep! I'm all woman :D

I guess sometimes I sound a lil militant on the boards. ;)

docjolly said:
wow! carebear, when did you come back to SDN? i remember when you left a couple of months ago..

it's good to have you back :clap:..but, if you don't mind, i'd like to ask: why did you leave med. school?

hey ladies,
i tried to post yesterday but my computer lost the post.
anyhow thanks for the welcome back!
i've been around since mid-april but much less. . .trying to cut out time wasters. . .

anyway, the med school thing. . .i'll just say that med school is one tough place- mentally, emotionally. . .and if you have any doubts about whether you should be there or not, i feel like you basically have to figure those out before going on. . .you can't 'halfway' do med school. . have to be 100% committed.
as dumb as this sounds, i realized once i got to med school last semester, after all the ordeal of applications, interviews, MCATS. . .that i wasn't sure this was what i wanted to be doing.
so i looked for a good research job and when i found one i dropped my classes and left. probably not the best way to handle things, but i needed to rethink this career path.

now i am planning to go back in the fall. . .i've come to terms with the fact that while i may never love the process of med school, i think the MD is the best degree for me and so i'm just going to be a lot more focused on that goal, and not let myself get distracted by whether i am happy or not. . .

i mean i talk to people from my old class and one guy said that every day he wakes up and wonders if there is something else he could do with his life. and that's not b/c he doesn't want to be a doctor, it's just b/c the process is so tough. i didn't realize those kind of thoughts were common and i thought something was wrong with me (and i also probably had a much worse case of doubt than most people) - but anyway you get the point.

i hope everyone starting med school this fall has a good experience, i really think the right attitude is so crucial. . .and you all seem to have that! :)

care bear said:
hey ladies,
i've been around since mid-april but much less. . .trying to cut out time wasters. . .

anyway, the med school thing. . .i'll just say that med school is one tough place- mentally, emotionally. . .and if you have any doubts about whether you should be there or not, i feel like you basically have to figure those out before going on. . .you can't 'halfway' do med school. . have to be 100% committed.
as dumb as this sounds, i realized once i got to med school last semester, after all the ordeal of applications, interviews, MCATS. . .that i wasn't sure this was what i wanted to be doing.
so i looked for a good research job and when i found one i dropped my classes and left. probably not the best way to handle things, but i needed to rethink this career path.

now i am planning to go back in the fall. . .i've come to terms with the fact that while i may never love the process of med school, i think the MD is the best degree for me and so i'm just going to be a lot more focused on that goal, and not let myself get distracted by whether i am happy or not. . .

i mean i talk to people from my old class and one guy said that every day he wakes up and wonders if there is something else he could do with his life. and that's not b/c he doesn't want to be a doctor, it's just b/c the process is so tough. i didn't realize those kind of thoughts were common and i thought something was wrong with me (and i also probably had a much worse case of doubt than most people) - but anyway you get the point.

i hope everyone starting med school this fall has a good experience, i really think the right attitude is so crucial. . .and you all seem to have that! :)

Hang in there, cause' you KNOW we got your back!!!!! :)

pathdr2b said:
So what do you plan to do before med school? I think if I were in your situation I'd be bored to death with nothing to do but work and wait!

Naah lady I've my summer all planned out...Travel galore, btw I'm takin donations to fund my expenses :laugh:
For now its work and finishin up my research, hopin to get it published.
People at work still dont know about med schl, and right now could care less! Its a great job just not for me...I'll give them 2.5 weeks notice and call it a day! Not like I'll be workin any serious job no time soon plus then I'll be practicing :D

Jamaican MD said:
Yep! I'm all woman :D

I guess sometimes I sound a lil militant on the boards. ;)

Ya' don't say from one militant to another :p.

princessd3 said:

wha is de scene now dread? Dis thread is our place to lime:D
I love me some chicken roti :thumbup:

I see all black females reppin up in here! :thumbup:

care bear said:
hey ladies,

Girl glad it worked out for the better!! Got the sword in hand, now go fight the battle! :thumbup: Attitude is the 1st step towards achievin success. Zone in on your goal, keep it in focus, cause as long as it is in sight, it remains reachable

:laugh: @path and lotanna
Y'all are too funny! :D

NPreMed said:
Hi, I wanted to use this arena to start an open discussion on black females who want to become doctors. I am in California. :D

I am a black (nigerian) female, I am from NY so I am going to on eof the NY schools. I have 11 days to decide.

Nigeria is in the house! Which doesn't include me becasue my people are from Ghana at least the ones we were able to trace back to!

Jamaican MD said:
:laugh: @path and lotanna
Y'all are too funny! :D

girl this thread is stayin on top and i'll make it my point to do so at least till Aug :D after which I'll be in bondage and on lock down :(

pathdr2b said:
Nigeria is in the house! Which doesn't include me becasue my people are from Ghana at least the ones we were able to trace back to!

LOL they are way too many Nigerians(including 1st/2nd generation) in the medical field. I mean last SNMA convention i went to in ATL 2001, i must have met like at least 20! :p

Really? Ghana is a beautiful country, been there 2x, wonderful, down to earth people. Cool stuff, I'm into genealogy myself, its like a big hobby of mine. I helped my African-american friend trace his and we are still stuck in 1810? and that took a whole lotta digging to get to. Hit a hole, so had to take a breather, maybe i'll try it again over the summer :thumbup:

lotanna said:
girl this thread is stayin on top and i'll make it my point to do so at least till Aug :D after which I'll be in bondage and on lock down :(

Girl, I've been trying to hold it down all day and now my a$$ is tired :sleep:

About Ghana, someone told me once that I looked like I could be of Ghanian (is that right?) decent. It was by far one of the highest compliments I've EVER received!! :)

pathdr2b said:
Girl, I've been trying to hold it down all day and now my a$$ is tired :sleep:

About Ghana, someone told me once that I looked like I could be of Ghanian (is that right?) decent. It was by far one of the highest compliments I've EVER received!! :)

its Ghanaian
but thts so cool, then again u could look like just about anywhere black people are. All u need is whatever local accent/slangs and you are good to go. Or you could always use the story that one of your parents is from there, but you were born and raised in the US thats why you dont have an accent and cant speak the language. It works for my friend all the time :laugh: :laugh:

Keep ya heads up ladies wherever u may be in the process :thumbup:

For those of us with less than stellar skin types, how was your makeup on interview day? I am a sucker for Iman eyeshadow and shiny lip gloss.

ndi_amaka said:
For those of us with less than stellar skin types, how was your makeup on interview day? I am a sucker for Iman eyeshadow and shiny lip gloss.
LOL! I made sure not to wear nothing flashy, only had on lip gloss, i mean I know I'm a glamour queen and all but didnt want to be that obvious! :rolleyes:
My best friend and I were discussin hair issues, he's male and was talkin about this black guy in his dental schl who had his hair a certain way(cornrows i think), he's a big guy so looks intimidating already and the minority person basically called him and "adviced" him to change it up :p

lotanna said:
LOL! I made sure not to wear nothing flashy, only had on lip gloss, i mean I know I'm a glamour queen and all but didnt want to be that obvious! :rolleyes:
My best friend and I were discussin hair issues, he's male and was talkin about this black guy in his dental schl who had his hair a certain way(cornrows i think), he's a big guy so looks intimidating already and the minority person basically called him and "adviced" him to change it up :p

Coming into an interview looking like Ludacrus (that sexy sonofa.... I dunno what it is about him) is not a good idea. Don't want your interviewer having the "Cops" theme song running through his head.

What sucks is my friend....he had the sexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxiest dreads....mmm...and he pulled them back and would wear this one shirt......oh! It took him years to get them to just the right length. Anyway, he chose to cut them off and sport a fade instead for his interview. I almost wept when I saw him, he looks so ordinary.

ndi_amaka said:
Coming into an interview looking like Ludacrus (that sexy sonofa.... I dunno what it is about him)

I'm trying to figure out if this is a compliment or not :confused: :laugh:

About the braids, I sometimes where my hair braided too, but I never wear it that way for interviews. I figure I'll have plenty of time to be myself AFTER I get my foot in the door!

Anybody have any good news to share? I found out a few minutes ago that my work/name was recently added to another NIH abstract for presentation at a National Meeting. This is number 3 for me so now let's hope we get some pubs out of the deal too! :D

Anyone else?

pathdr2b said:
Anybody have any good news to share? I found out a few minutes ago that my work/name was recently added to another NIH abstract for presentation at a National Meeting. This is number 3 for me so now let's hope we get some pubs out of the deal too! :D

Anyone else?

:thumbup: Work it path!

Status
Not open for further replies.