Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHD_2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goodmorning everyone!!!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
Wishing everyone a happy new year (a little late!). Starting Chem2 this semester. Good luck to everyone this semester! :thumbup:

Hey ladies. I'm not sure how many of you all are interested in surgery, but my mentor put me on to this group of AMAZING black surgeons. Its called the Society of Black Academic Surgeons; alot of these guys are like the chief of surgery at some serious schools. You can check out their website at www.sbas.net. They have a conference every year; this year its in Chicago, hosted by Rush University. I plan to tag along with my mentor there. If you guys happen to be in the area, or just have the bank to fly out there, I think it would be a great opportunity.

Take a look at their newsletter to find out more about them. You can download it at the following link: http://download.xdrive.com/s/437364661pOVksCvZwMvVCxlXQZr&partner=plus

P.S.- One of their members, just became the first black female to finish a fellowship in pediatric surgery. This just happened in 2006, so you can see that more strides need to be made.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone just wanted to see what was going on with the thread!! Have a wonderful day!

WHY was the other black females thread closed? :confused:

WHY was the other black females thread closed? :confused:

I think the other one exceeded the limit of posts so a continuation of it was started. :)

Hey Ladies! Just stopping in to say HI!!! I hope everything is going well for everyone! I was surprised to see that we have a new thread started. IMPRESSIVE!!

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say hello and that I just took my 1st Orgo II exam. It was not that bad and I felt like I knew what I was doing!! :D Now I am heading home to get some rest from these last 8 straight days of work. :sleep: Talk to you all later and have a good day. :love:

hello,
i hope everyone is doing well. i have a quick question for everyone. how important is the overall gpa if you have a high science gpa? what i mean is, with postbacc work, the highest my overall gpa will rise is to a 3.3, but i can raise my science gpa to 3.5- 3.7 (depending on how many science courses i take). i figure that if i have a good science gpa, strong MCAT's, and experience as a phlebotomist or working in a medical lab should make me a pretty decent applicant. am i correct in my thinking?

hello,
i hope everyone is doing well. i have a quick question for everyone. how important is the overall gpa if you have a high science gpa? what i mean is, with postbacc work, the highest my overall gpa will rise is to a 3.3, but i can raise my science gpa to 3.5- 3.7 (depending on how many science courses i take). i figure that if i have a good science gpa, strong MCAT's, and experience as a phlebotomist or working in a medical lab should make me a pretty decent applicant. am i correct in my thinking?

It should work out well for you. Assuming that everything falls into place as you state. :luck:

Is there a thread for black female medical students (instead of pre-med)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a thread for black female medical students (instead of pre-med)?

That's a good question...maybe it's in the allo forum, if not..you can make one :)

Hello there everyone! Pink eclipse premed and medical students post here. Even higher level students post here also. ;)

Howdy everyone!:)

Hello everyone! Haven't yet posted on this new thread. Hope yall are doing great with school, work, and everything else:) Leavin' on a jet plane tonight for the frigid east coast for an interview and I can't find my coat! Have a great week~

Hello everyone! Haven't yet posted on this new thread. Hope yall are doing great with school, work, and everything else:) Leavin' on a jet plane tonight for the frigid east coast for an interview and I can't find my coat! Have a great week~

Haha....you better find that coat because it is going to be COLD!!! Where are you going? Good LUCK!!! :luck:

hey ladies,

Just wanted to stop in and show some love! I'm glad we still moving and growing strong:)

Here in minneapolis we are really feeling the below average temps:(

Is it just me or does the part 01 part 01 part 01 part 01 part 02 bother you guys. Is there a way to remove that...it is a little annoying lol
:)

Haha....you better find that coat because it is going to be COLD!!! Where are you going? Good LUCK!!! :luck:

I'm in Philly to interview at Jefferson. Dang...it's FREEZING! Good thing I brought layers of clothing.

Hello ladies..i juss stopped in to say what up..i have not heard much from the bruhs lately..but anyhow..good luck to all yall...oh by the way has anyone interviewed at UCLA..or UCLA Drew yet..i juss interviewed at Drew and it was AWESOME!

Hello ladies..i juss stopped in to say what up..i have not heard much from the bruhs lately..but anyhow..good luck to all yall...oh by the way has anyone interviewed at UCLA..or UCLA Drew yet..i juss interviewed at Drew and it was AWESOME!

icecold....was it really?????!!! Please please give me details :D Did they give you guys a tour? My interview is coming up and I'm growing a little impatient....

Oh and thanks to whoever fixed the part01part01part01part01part01part02, I couldn't handle it anymore....hehe :)

icecold....was it really?????!!! Please please give me details :D Did they give you guys a tour? My interview is coming up and I'm growing a little impatient....

Oh and thanks to whoever fixed the part01part01part01part01part01part02, I couldn't handle it anymore....hehe :)

Hey Cage..naw they didnt give us a tour because they are no longer apart of the hospital..well as far as teaching hospital goes..so yea there was really no need..anyhow..the day was great though the administration made it really worthwhile..they treat you like family once you get there..its sooo awesome..Drew definately made a POSITIVE impression upon me..even tho it already had done so..but yea..the day runs very smooth..two interviews and refreshments along wit a survey at the end..if i can give you any advice it would be to research health policies/issues cus they will ask you alot about it..anyway..hope that helps..

Hey Cage..naw they didnt give us a tour because they are no longer apart of the hospital..well as far as teaching hospital goes..so yea there was really no need..anyhow..the day was great though the administration made it really worthwhile..they treat you like family once you get there..its sooo awesome..Drew definately made a POSITIVE impression upon me..even tho it already had done so..but yea..the day runs very smooth..two interviews and refreshments along wit a survey at the end..if i can give you any advice it would be to research health policies/issues cus they will ask you alot about it..anyway..hope that helps..

Thanks for your response icecold...that really helps :)
Take care!

Wassup my beautiful Black Sistahs. I just wanted to stop by and say hello and also to say that I pray that the Lord continues to work thru yall and give yall the desires of your hearts. I'm in Sacramento, Ca just enjoying life and getting ready to graduate in May. I'm re-taking my MCAT on April 7th so..... we will see what the good Lord has in store for me. God is truly good. Have a blessed one ladies.

Hello there my good people!! How is everyone doing? I am good just trying to stay afloat with these classes. Is there anyone here from michigan taking the mcat in June?

Hello there my good people!! How is everyone doing? I am good just trying to stay afloat with these classes. Is there anyone here from michigan taking the mcat in June?

Hello everyone and special shoutout to Sistanik 'cause I know she's doing Orgo',

Just dropped in to say "yo" and good luck to all. I have been swamped with studying for boards and getting ready for fellowship. I am rarely on SDN but I am keeping up with everyone's progress and sending positive vibes. You can't imagine all the things that have to be in place to finish residency, take specialty boards and get ready for fellowship (its a huge difference from residency).

You can keep up with me by checking my blog from time to time. I spend most of my internet writing time (very little these days) there. I wish everyone well and you are all my heros just because you are fighting the fight and "living the dream".:thumbup: Feel free to drop a comment or any admissions questions (I'm still on a couple of medical school admissions committees).

Hello everyone and special shoutout to Sistanik 'cause I know she's doing Orgo',

Just dropped in to say "yo" and good luck to all. I have been swamped with studying for boards and getting ready for fellowship. I am rarely on SDN but I am keeping up with everyone's progress and sending positive vibes. You can't imagine all the things that have to be in place to finish residency, take specialty boards and get ready for fellowship (its a huge difference from residency).

You can keep up with me by checking my blog from time to time. I spend most of my internet writing time (very little these days) there. I wish everyone well and you are all my heros just because you are fighting the fight and "living the dream".:thumbup: Feel free to drop a comment or any admissions questions (I'm still on a couple of medical school admissions committees).

Hey njbmd!! Good luck with all of that, that's a long way from where I am (entering med school in 2007) May I ask, what fellowship are you going into? Congrats on making it this far! :thumbup:
And one more question, it has been discussed thoroughly in other threads but since you are already a long way down the road, I'm wondering in deciding where to go medical school, how important is what medical school you actually go to?

Just like santa clause.......they dont exist!:laugh:

Hey there Njbmd, nice to hear from you, and a special shoutout to you also!!! Orgo II is moving right along. Hope everyone is having a good week. :) Njbmd, I pictured you totally different from what you really look like.

In addition to the obvious, i.e. curriculum, facilities, etc...one of the things that helpled me to decide on a school post-interview was the effort, if any, that was put into introducing me to black students and faculty and familiarizing me with minority organizations and resources. Perhaps we should start a list of the schools that put forth such an effort...

Indiana University: reception with SNMA president, dean, students
Case Western: time allotted during interview day to speak with students of color, more structured events during second look
UMich SNMA pres tried to organize pre-interview dinner, didn't happen tho...
BUTime during interview to meet with Director of Minority Affairs

hey guys, just had a quick question. If someone is approved for the FAP, is there certain schools that you should use the free apps for? I remember talking to someone about this and I vaguely remember them saying something about using a couple of the apps for schools that participate in AMCAS or something like that. I wish I could remember what we talked about. Anyways thanks for the help. Also, why would I send apps through AMCAS to schools that don't use this system? Just a little confused. :confused:

hey guys, just had a quick question. If someone is approved for the FAP, is there certain schools that you should use the free apps for? I remember talking to someone about this and I vaguely remember them saying something about using a couple of the apps for schools that participate in AMCAS or something like that. I wish I could remember what we talked about. Anyways thanks for the help. Also, why would I send apps through AMCAS to schools that don't use this system? Just a little confused. :confused:

I do not understand your question completely, but will try to address it as best I can. Hopefully, others will chime in if I am off base.

With the FAP, you get a reduced MCAT registration and a reduced AMCAS processing fee. WIth the AMCAS you can apply to a certain number of schools (I think the number is 15) at that reduced rate for all of them and then the regular $30 fee for each additional school.

Almost all of the medical schools in the US participate in AMCAS, the exception may be the Texas schools with their separate application system. If someone applied to the state schools in Texas, please give some more clarification on that process. The only other exception that I can think of are the Canadian schools, but I beleive they are a bit tougher to get inot if you are not Canadian.

The other thing is that having the FAP/Fee Waiver or whatever it is called takes care of your secondary application fees too. So let's say you want to apply to 25 schools. You would be paying $300 USD for the extra in AMCAS fees (for the additional 10 schools) and then have to pay little if anything in terms of secondary fees (b/c some schools do not accept the FAP).

Get the MSAR and a copy of the Minority Student Opportunities books from the AAMC. Together they should help bring it home for you, as well as give you some other tidbits of information that will prove helpful to you. :luck:

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...1&cftoken=F051F18E-0D6C-4CE0-B7EE312702119CE5 (Info on the MSO book)

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...1&cftoken=F051F18E-0D6C-4CE0-B7EE312702119CE5 (Info on the MSAR aka the bible for premeds)

Good morning my beautiful Sistahs. I hope everybody is blessed and in good health. I have a question for anybody who wants to give me their input. I have to re-apply this June for fall 08 admission (my MCAT was too low). My advisor thinks that I should do a post-bacc program but on the other hand the director of the MPH program at Drew told me that I am accepted there. My early science gpa is pretty bad, :thumbdown:, but these last 2 years I have taken all upper division Bio and Chem and my gpa for these 2 years is about a 3.4, :thumbup:. I want to know what you guys think the best route is for me to go. I know the good Lorg is going to put me where he wants me but just wanted some other opinions. I appreciate the advice. Have a blessed one.

Hey All,

I can't tell you all how great it is to have black female representation on this site! But maybe you already know... ;)

I'm in the Bay area and just getting started with my postbacc work. I'm wondering if there are any folks looking at Mills' postbacc or anyone doing pre-med work in the Bay area at all?

Holla back and thanks for being present!

Good morning my beautiful Sistahs. I hope everybody is blessed and in good health. I have a question for anybody who wants to give me their input. I have to re-apply this June for fall 08 admission (my MCAT was too low). My advisor thinks that I should do a post-bacc program but on the other hand the director of the MPH program at Drew told me that I am accepted there. My early science gpa is pretty bad, :thumbdown:, but these last 2 years I have taken all upper division Bio and Chem and my gpa for these 2 years is about a 3.4, :thumbup:. I want to know what you guys think the best route is for me to go. I know the good Lorg is going to put me where he wants me but just wanted some other opinions. I appreciate the advice. Have a blessed one.

Hey BlackDr2Be, way to go on pulling your grades up during the last two years! Showing steady improvement is always a good thing. I kinda faced the same thing as you when applying to med school and when I talked to my advisor about it she advised me to do a post-bac program because in MPH programs there's really no hard science involved. But at the same time, I've met a lot of people who went and did fabulous in MPH programs and got into medical school. So... I don't know if that helps at all.. but I'd say do what works best for you. I ended up doing a year of post-bac instead of the MPH and it worked for me (but I also didn't want to do the two years required for the MPH.. which is why post-bac won out). Good luck to you!!

Hello there everyone!! Thanks jsnuka that was very well stated. So you can get a waiver for some of the 2ndaries. I will calling the schools that I am interested in to find out more about that. Oh, and yes I was approved for the FAP. Thank you Jesus.
P.S. From what I know, Texas does use their own app service, with the exception of Baylor who uses AMCAS.

Wassup my beautiful Black Sistahs. I just wanted to stop by and say hello and also to say that I pray that the Lord continues to work thru yall and give yall the desires of your hearts. I'm in Sacramento, Ca just enjoying life and getting ready to graduate in May. I'm re-taking my MCAT on April 7th so..... we will see what the good Lord has in store for me. God is truly good. Have a blessed one ladies.

This sounds exactly like me except I plan on re-taking in May. What are you going to do during your year off once you graduate?

Hey BlackDr2Be, way to go on pulling your grades up during the last two years! Showing steady improvement is always a good thing. I kinda faced the same thing as you when applying to med school and when I talked to my advisor about it she advised me to do a post-bac program because in MPH programs there's really no hard science involved. But at the same time, I've met a lot of people who went and did fabulous in MPH programs and got into medical school. So... I don't know if that helps at all.. but I'd say do what works best for you. I ended up doing a year of post-bac instead of the MPH and it worked for me (but I also didn't want to do the two years required for the MPH.. which is why post-bac won out). Good luck to you!!

What post-bac program did u do if you dont mind my asking?

Ladies,

I am proud to announce that I've passed my qualifiers and am officially a PhD student!
It has definitely not been an easy road for me and I am happy I kept at it. Hard work (and prayer) definitely pays off!

Much Love,

~GraC

Congrats on the news. Gotta feel good to get some positive news! ;) Keep up the good work.

Congrats Grac!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
What program are you at, if you don't mind me asking?

I have FINALLY gotten my Howard interview invite. I am excited but damn it, this is after they misplaced my application and found it last night--LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Howard alum too. So this should be mightily interesting.:D

I have FINALLY gotten my Howard interview invite. I am excited but damn it, this is after they misplaced my application and found it last night--LITERALLY!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Howard alum too. So this should be mightily interesting.:D

Better late than never my dude..congrats..youll be fine..the interview is really laid back and informative:thumbup: