Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A special shout out to ALL of the ladies I met at the Howard intrview today. It was indeed a pleasure.:)

If we do not wind up being classmates, I look forward to meeting you all again at an AMA, AMSA or SNMA conference sometime in the future.

Best wishes in the process!!!!:luck:

PS: Alyssa, I have not forgotten about your question. I will be sure to address it tomorrow when I get home. I am in the hotel on my cell phone as I type this stuff out now. It is a bit murderous.:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning everyone and best of luck to all those interviewing!:)

Hi, Im just wondering what the benefit of connecting with the minority affairs/diversity offices
Lys

Ok, I can answer this question now. I am going to write this as if I am talking with someone who is just getting started in the process. So if it seems trivial in some spots, use what would be most helpful to you.

When you are applying, be sure to purchase the most recent copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements and Minority Student Opportunities from the AAMC. You can find them by going to http://www.aamc.org and following the links to publications and those specific titles.

In those books you will find information about the contacts for various programs at EVERY medical school across the country and a bevy of statistical data on them as well. The Minority/Diversity/ Multicultural Affairs offices are dedicated to help recruit, retain and graduate future physicians and provide applicants with assistance throughout the admissions process. It is a good way for you to find out more about the school and for them to find out more about you.

If you havea particular situation and you wonder where your application is strong/competitive enough for that school or just in general, these are folks who you can ask for some pointers on strengthening your application and what takes to steps to take in the process. This is a resource that is there and folks should make use of it as they navigate through the process. It could very well save you from having to reapply if you take the time to talk to folks around and about the school (s) you are interested in attending.

Just the same, if you KNOW you want to go to Hopkins, then it would be beneficial to you to participate ina research or other program there so that people can get to know you and see your work ethic in person. Maybe these people can put in a good word for you as you allow them to get to know you and your future desires to be a physician or physician-scientist.

In short, as you get older, you come to realize that networking is a wonderful thing and if you have an "in" it is best to use it than to waste an opportunity to get closer to achieving your dreams/goals.

Good Luck!!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Once again, pass this along to those who may use it or are looking for opportunities.

Thanks in advance!:)

General Electric 2007 Summer Internship Opportunities for College Students!

I will be starting the interview process for my Summer Interns in a few weeks and I NEED YOUR HELP. I am looking for college Freshmen, Sophomores, or Juniors in Engineering, Computer Science, Finance, or Accounting. Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0. I will consider some business majors with strong leadership
qualities.

Location of Internships: Atlanta, Greenville,
Houston, Ohio, Raytown, Schenectady,Erie, ...anywhere there is a GE facility!

Average salary: $17 an hour....some locations will pay a housing allowance.

Please forward this email to all that meet the requirements above. My numbers are below.

Michelle Jackson, PHR
GE Energy
HR Manager, Compliance & Dispute Resolution
T: 678 844 7668
F: 1-866-276-0930
D: *421-7668

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you know of anyone who might be interested, please pass along.
THE WHITE HOUSE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM

The White House Internship Program offers an excellent opportunity to serve the Federal government and explore public service. We are seeking exceptional candidates to apply for this highly competitive program. In addition to typical office duties, interns attend weekly lectures, tours, and complete an intern service project.

Interns may serve a term in the Fall, Spring or Summer. Every candidate must be a United States citizen, enrolled in a college or university, and at least 18 years of age. An application and additional information about the program can be found at:

LINK: http://www.whitehou se.gov/governmen t/wh-intern. html

Applicants must be:

At least 18 years of age on or before the first day of the internship Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a college or university, or graduated the previous semester A U.S. citizen Strong applications should exhibit:

* Sound academic credentials

* A history of community involvement and leadership

* Solid verbal/written communication skills

* A demonstrated interest in public service

Applications should be submitted to Karen Race, Deputy Director and Intern Coordinator, White House Personnel, at intern_application@ whitehouse. gov on or before the following deadlines:

* March 6, 2007 for SUMMER 2007 -- (May 22 to August 24, 2007)

* June 26, 2007 for FALL 2007 -- (September 4 to December 14, 2007)

If you have questions you may contact Karen Race at (202) 456-5979 [Voice/Relay] or at intern_application@ whitehouse. gov

They look forward to hearing from you!

Engineering Camps

High School Students --Mentoring & Enrichment Seminar in Engineering Training (MESET)

This camp needs students that are currently in the 11th grade to attend
a FREE engineering camp at the University of Houston . We need more
African-American students. If you need further information please contact
John Matthews, 713-743-4226. This camp is coed.

Students in this camp have been known to get summer jobs for college just
for being in this camp. Help students help themselves. As you may recall,
my son attended this camp and look at his career. This camp helps students
develop good study habits and learn about the various facts of engineering
careers. The program needs at least 15 more students or they will lose
funding for next year's camp.

Please help us keep this camp alive. Students are welcome from anywhere in the United States. Transportation is not provided, the camp is free. We will pick up and return out of town students to the bus station, train station or airport for free.

Thank you for your help.

Deadline April 15, 2007 www.egr.uh.edu/camps

Application > -> www.egr.uh.edu/promes/?e=camps

TASS( Another Free Program)

This summer, forty-eight bright, motivated high school sophomores will
participate in one of three challenging six-week college-level courses in
African American studies and other fields at the University of Michigan and
Indiana University. Telluride works with university faculty to create
exciting courses designed to inspire young people to explore the histories,
politics and cultural experiences of people of African descent and a
variety of other topics. Because we believe that students should have the
opportunity to pursue their ideals, we cover all the program costs,
including tuition, books, room and board, field trips, and facilities fees.

http://www.tellurideassociation.org/TASSApply.html

Middle Grade Summer opportunities - Rising 7th and 8th graders > -> FREE Academic Program- my daughter Tashianna is in the BTA program- It is EXCELLENT.

Breakthrough Atlanta at The Lovett School

Breakthrough is unique in that it has a dual mission: improving the
educational trajectory middle school students and inspiring young people to
enter the field of education. Breakthrough> '> s success is due to a unique
combination of elements that result in an exciting and energetic
educational experience:

* Motivated students who are at the critical age when they are searching for role models and making choices that will dramatically affect their
futures.
* Enthusiastic and talented teachers who serve as mentors and role
models and bring to life the idea that "it 's cool to be smart."
* An academically rigorous program supplemented by creative arts,
multicultural programs, and public speaking opportunities.

* An infectious spirit of fun and a celebration of excellence

Reach for Excellence > -> Middle Grades

Each spring, Reach for Excellence selects 25 academically talented,
educationally underserved 6th graders to begin participating in the
program. Admitted students and their families commit to three years,
consisting of three six-week summer sessions and two years of Saturday
classes. The summer programs runs from mid-June to the end of July.
Saturday classes begin in September and conclude in May. each for
Excellence provides talented middle school students, who possess limited
opportunities and resources, with the preparation to succeed in college
preparatory programs and high schools. Students are selected from
throughout the metro Atlanta area, based on their intellectual curiosity,
determination and leadership potential.

http://www.reachforexcellence.org/podium/default.aspx?t=12078>

Sports Program-- Morehouse Summer Academy

NATIONAL YOUTH SPORTS PROGRAM @ MOREHOUSE COLLEGE

The National Youth Sports Program (NYSP) at Morehouse College is a
summer day camp, which gives children from low-income disadvantaged
families an opportunity to participate in group sports instruction and
academic skill enhancement. This program has served thousands of boys and girls ages 10-16 ever since 1968.

The National Youth Sports Program is a four-week summer camp held at
Morehouse College, where this year only 250 children will be served due to
the federal budget cut of 2006. This program has been at Morehouse since
1969. The program has served over 10,000 young people within the city of
Atlanta and the surrounding communities. Through the efforts of the
Morehouse College NYSP Program there have been over 15,000 free medical
screenings provided, more than 200,000 nutritious meals served to camp
participants, and countless hours of personal interaction by the NYSP
staff.

http://www.morehouse.edu/academics/humsocsci/healthphysed/nysp/requirements.html

This information will not be available until March 16, 2007- please call
and add your name to the mailing list: 404 681-2800

SEMAA at Fernbank > -> Free Program Grades (k-12)

The NASA Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Aerospace Academy
(SEMAA) began in Cleveland in 1993, at the urging of then U.S. Congressman Louis Stokes. Concerned about the low level of academic achievement for the young students in his district, the Congressman advocated the creation of a unique program that would focus on the areas of mathematics and science. In the years since its inception, the NASA SEMAA program has emerged as a nationally renowned leader in the efforts to increase the participation in and retention of historically underserved K-12 youth in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

Established as a joint venture between NASA Glenn Research Center and Cuyahoga Community College, the program has grown from a single site to a national organization with 23 sites in 16 states and the District of Columbia.

http://www.semaa.net/

http://fsc.fernbank.edu/ > -> Click on SEMAA to view the local schedule
and application

Good morning everyone! Just wanted to stop and check on you guys. ;) Have a great weekend and be safe.:love:

I'm pretty new here. It's good to see all the black females going into medicine. I'm awaiting a decision from my number one school. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me. Good luck to everyone out there and always remember, no matter what you've gone through before: "Your Latter Will Be Greater Than Your Past!!" That is what keeps me going.

I'm pretty new here. It's good to see all the black females going into medicine. I'm awaiting a decision from my number one school. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me. Good luck to everyone out there and always remember, no matter what you've gone through before: "Your Latter Will Be Greater Than Your Past!!" That is what keeps me going.

Yo doc, what's your number one school?
Good luck to everyone! :luck:

jsnuka , thanks for the info
I already have the MSAR 2007-2008 and its really helpful. Is the Minority Student Opportunities as good? Has anyone else used it?

Alyssa

Hello there everyone. :) Just wanted to say hello and I also have a question. How did you guys go about making a final decision on the schools you wanted to apply to? I am trying to make a list but there are so many that I am interested in. I want to apply to about 15 but its hard choosing between all those darn schools.

After I took several practice MCATs I aimed at getting a realistic target score. Then I got the MSAR(although the pdf is available online for free) and I looked at schools whose average MCATs were around my target. For OOS I looked at the number of out of state students they take. I did all of the above just to gauge my chances at different schools.

Then I looked at grading. For me that was an important factor and I chose schools that tended to be pass/fail or very close to it the first two years. However, if you are the type of person who knows they will and need to stand out above the crowd- you might prefer a more traditional grading
system.

Then of course I looked at reputation of the school(rankings) and the type of school. I'm pretty sure I don't want to do primary care, so the only real primary care school I applied to was my instate school.

Then location was a somewhat of a factor for me, and I don't think I applied to any school that was in a completely rural area. I've had more experience working with urban patient populations and I prefer cities in general.

Wow this getting long, so I'll sum it up. I made three lists- stretches, fits, and safeties. Although there really isn't a safety medical school, these were just schools who average stats were below mine. Fits were schools that I liked and whose average stats were close to mine. Stretches were schools that I really liked but whose stats were above mine.

I'm not sure if this method worked. So far, I've interviewed at schools from each of my three lists. And each school, I could see myself attending. Right now, I'm just sitting on one acceptance and waiting to hear from the rest.

Hope some of this helps and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tonight, as part of the "American Spirit" series on the CBS "Evening News," Katie Couric will interview Howard University alumnus Harold P. Freeman, M.D., about his career. The CBS “Evening News” broadcast begins at 6:30 p.m. Freeman is President and Medical Director of The Ralph Lauren Center for Cancer Care and Prevention in New York City. He is also the Senior Advisor to the Director of the National Cancer Institute. Freeman holds the academic position of Professor of Clinical Surgery at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He held the position of Director of Surgery at Harlem Hospital for 25 years (1974-1999). Freeman graduated from Howard University Medical School, and completed his internship and residency in General Surgery at Howard University Hospital, where he received the Daniel Hale Williams Award for Outstanding Achievements as Chief Resident.

This airs tonight (3/12/07) on CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. Check local listings for the time.

hey everyone,

for people currently applying, is anyone going to colubmia/cornell revists? good luck to all!

Thanks imable24. This is actually what I was going to do but I thought that it would get too out of control for me. Thanks for the response and yes it did help.
Hello jsnuka!

Hello there everyone. :) Just wanted to say hello and I also have a question. How did you guys go about making a final decision on the schools you wanted to apply to? I am trying to make a list but there are so many that I am interested in. I want to apply to about 15 but its hard choosing between all those darn schools.

Hi, sistahnik!! Great to hear from you.

When it comes to applying, put YOURSELF first. Ultimately, you have to decide where will you be happiest for the next 4 years or so for school. Be selfish and do what is BEST for you in the long run.

Have a set of goals for yourself. What type of doctor do you want to be be? Why? Look at the schools and see which ones will be best at putting you on that track of accomplishing your goals. Mind you, you can do whatever you want to do at any medical school in the country. Just a matter of if you want to sacrifice something else in order to have that one thing or few thigns that are most dear to you.

Talk to the Office of Diversity/Multicultural/Minority affairs at ANY and ALL schools that you are thinking of applying to at present. See what they say about your chances at their school given your descriptives at the moment. Some will be VERY honest and others will hint around things, others are more direct.

By all means, do not apply to a school that you have ABSOLUTELY no intentions of attending. For example, why apply to the University of Utah, when you know there is NO good reason that you would go there. Same thing with applying to Hawaii. You might go to Hawaii if accepted, but you will not get pass the screen of having ties to Hawaii and other thigns that go into their screening process. In short, apply smart.

Definitely apply to your state schools and the private schools in your home state that you think you have a good shot of attending. If you do not have children or other family concerns that would tie you down to a specific area, then apply across the country with an eye towards your future.

Some schools have interesting curriculum quirks. Check out the schools websites and see which ones pique your interest and delve more in to fiding out greater detail and whether you would be happy there. Take some visits to them if you have a chance, to get a feel for them before it counts i.e. the interview.

As much as youare concerned with your present, you have to have an a eye on your future as you apply to schools.

Once you apply and the acceptances start rolling in, then you get to discriminate the schools again based on happiness and financial aid packages.

Have fun!!!!:luck:

Tonight, as part of the "American Spirit" series on the CBS "Evening News," Katie Couric will interview Howard University alumnus Harold P. Freeman, M.D., about his career. The CBS "Evening News" broadcast begins at 6:30 p.m. Freeman is President and Medical Director of The Ralph Lauren Center for Cancer Care and Prevention in New York City. He is also the Senior Advisor to the Director of the National Cancer Institute. Freeman holds the academic position of Professor of Clinical Surgery at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He held the position of Director of Surgery at Harlem Hospital for 25 years (1974-1999). Freeman graduated from Howard University Medical School, and completed his internship and residency in General Surgery at Howard University Hospital, where he received the Daniel Hale Williams Award for Outstanding Achievements as Chief Resident.

This airs tonight (3/12/07) on CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. Check local listings for the time.
I'll have to check this out. I met Dr.Freeman a few years ago when I was at the NCI, but I didn't know he went to Howard.:thumbup: It will be quite interesting to see how an interview with Ms. Couric goes.

Thanks jsnuka!! You are so funny. I have been talking to some of the Minority affairs office staff at some school and currently still communicating with others. It's funny that you will say Utah because they were on my list but I took them off because the MSAR says that in order to apply as an OOS'er you must apply MD/Phd. :eek: so hat wasn't hard to do. :idea: Anyways, thanks for the advice. Talk to you guys later.

:confused: After all of the waiting, I just found out that I am on the waitlist at EVMS. I've seen lots of suggestions on what to do if you find yourself on a waitlist. From writing letters to deans, talking to minority affairs directors, and emailing interviewers. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

:confused: After all of the waiting, I just found out that I am on the waitlist at EVMS. I've seen lots of suggestions on what to do if you find yourself on a waitlist. From writing letters to deans, talking to minority affairs directors, and emailing interviewers. I don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated.

Hey doc. Sorry to hear that, I was really pulling for ya! BUT, it is not over until the fat lady sings. With that said, waitlists do exist for a reason...you weren't rejected so the school can possibly still accept you. It is not over until you get a rejection. I would suggest writing a very strong LOI (letter of interest). If EVMS is your top choice, tell them! I don't know about a letter of intent, some say it is good, others bad but I really don't know so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else can elaborate on that? Here's an interesting link about Letters of Intent though....I think it is worth a shot. I would suggest beginning the letter with an update and then follow with your interest and/or intent.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=106811
Hope that helps!

Thank you very much CagedBird. I'm getting over the disappointment now so that I can move forward and fulfill my dream. I know I have to be proactive and let the Lord work for me.

Thanks again for your suggestion. I will work on writing that letter first thing in the morning.

Hey, what's the difference between a letter of interest and a letter of intent?

Don't take my word as gospel, but from what I understand a letter of intent is a letter saying that you will drop all other acceptances if this school accepts you (basically for your number one school). A letter of interest is a letter that states that you are very interested in that school, why you want to attend, and any updates you might have.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from UCLA and Drew?

I interviewed in Jan at Drew and Oct at UCLA. I'm still waiting to hear from both. I'm on an alternate list at Morehouse...

What is the difference between an alternate list and a waiting list?? Has anyone been accepted from an alternate list this year?

MSTP Bound,
I wanted to let you know that I am very glad you decided to post that article. It is very encouraging to see programs devoted to encouraging African Americans to pursue PhD's in the sciences!!! It is also very satisfying to see a professor devoted to the goal of mentorship. Being a mentor encompasses so many things including helping students to become critical thinkers!!! I can identify so much with that article. I defend my thesis in April and I will receive my PhD in May of this year in Biomedical Science with an emphasis in Developmental Cardiology! Its been a very rough road but I thank God everyday for the opportunity! I am also attending George Washington this fall for medical school!!! :love:

MSTP Bound,
I wanted to let you know that I am very glad you decided to post that article. It is very encouraging to see programs devoted to encouraging African Americans to pursue PhD's in the sciences!!! It is also very satisfying to see a professor devoted to the goal of mentorship. Being a mentor encompasses so many things including helping students to become critical thinkers!!! I can identify so much with that article. I defend my thesis in April and I will receive my PhD in May of this year in Biomedical Science with an emphasis in Developmental Cardiology! Its been a very rough road but I thank God everyday for the opportunity! I am also attending George Washington this fall for medical school!!! :love:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!:thumbup:

2X for GW!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm glad the article reached you that way... I thought it might resonate with a lot of us. I have this "pie in the sky" dream (read: GOAL) of getting into an MSTP (obviously) and completing a PhD in Physical Chemistry... it's been rough preparing for the MCAT, but the timing of this article seemed to be just right... the kind of moral boost I've been hoping for. I thought it might do the same for others... so you're welcome!

Haitians have a saying... "Kenbe; pa lage'l!"

It means "Hold on to it; don't let go!"

I pass that on to you and the rest.

Take Care,

MSTPbound

I interviewed in Jan at Drew and Oct at UCLA. I'm still waiting to hear from both. I'm on an alternate list at Morehouse...

Extreme, are you from CA?

MSTP, that was a great article. I was most impressed by the person WHO is the pioneer behind the project and his ending words that he most satisfied with the great things he's done with the Freeman program as opposed to publications. He makes some very interesting points and others need to jump on the bandwagon.
And best of luck with that MCAT, study hard now and you will reap the benefits..trust me, it is worth every minute of time you put into it. Do you have a top choice/choices?

PHD2007, congrats and best of luck with your defense :thumbup:. I am waiting to hear back from GW, hopefully it's good news...I thought the interviews went well :)

:luck: everyone!!

Hey guys.. i interviewed at both Drew and UCLA as well..and like many of you..im still waiting for both of them..but i prolly wont hear back from UCLA for a while cus i just interiviewed there on Monday..but i interviewed at Drew in early Feb..so im still waiting..last time i heard..they are going to release their decisions in late March..so lets hope this is true if not sooner..is UCLA or Drew anyones top choice??

Hello ladies,

I just posted this in the black male pre-meds thread... and then I was concerned it might not get into this one, so here it is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/science/13conv.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

Much love, :love:

MSTPbound

I posted the 2002 article from The Washington Post on the Black Male Pre-Meds thread so roll over to the thread and read that too. The 2002 article discusses this program but contains some great points and advice as to why this program works so well. Check out our brotha's thread (gotta support them too) and check out the companion article. It's good reading.

Now back the lecture prep and specialty board study. There is always something to study and learn in medicine! :)

Cagedbird... Yes I am from Cali how about you??

Icecoldalpha06... Yes both Drew and UCLA are my top choices. My first choice for out of state is Morehouse.

Does anybody know the answer to my question about waiting vs. alternate list??

...And best of luck with that MCAT, study hard now and you will reap the benefits..trust me, it is worth every minute of time you put into it. Do you have a top choice/choices?

Well, ideally, I would like to stay in NYC, which automatically sets the bar extremely high for how I need to perform on this exam... can you sense my stress?

I guess my two top choices in NYC right now are Cornell Tri-I, and Mount Sinai; the former because its clearly got the richest research resources in the city, and the latter because I do research there now, and there's a lot I like about the environment and people here.

I'll probably apply to every NYC school... so it'll be tough to call anything a "safety," if that really exists in med school application processes.

Thanks for asking.

Take Care,

MSTPbound

did you have an interview for the drew/ucla program or just drew university?

Sup everyone..

Today I got a call from Judith Walk from Howard University saying that I have been accepted into the class of 2011!!! Im soo happy..its my first acceptance so you can imagine how joyous and relieved I am!! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from Howard and any other places:luck:

Congrats icecold!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
I knew your first acceptance would be coming anyday. Now you can relax!! :thumbup:

Sup everyone..

Today I got a call from Judith Walk from Howard University saying that I have been accepted into the class of 2011!!! Im soo happy..its my first acceptance so you can imagine how joyous and relieved I am!! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from Howard and any other places:luck:

Congratulations!!!

Isn't it amazing that sooner or later, EVERYONE in this thread gets accepted to med school?

Congrats and continued success to everyone!:)

Hey everyone! I'm a pre-med black female. I'm looking to attend a school here in Illinois. I'm thinking of taking my MCAT at the beginning of August. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure we all are definitely future MDs!!! :D

Hey everyone! I'm a pre-med black female. I'm looking to attend a school here in Illinois. I'm thinking of taking my MCAT at the beginning of August. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure we all are definitely future MDs!!! :D
Are you applying for the 2008 cycle? If so, make sure that your AMCAS app is submitted and verified, all your LORs are in, and your secondaries are finished and mailed backed, so come september when you get your scores, you are already complete at all the schools and all they are waiting for is your MCAT. This will definetly provide you peace of mind come April. Good luck!

Welcome!!!

Where are you in the process? Are you going to be applying for the 2008 or 2009 application cycle?

Good Luck!!!:luck:

Are you applying for the 2008 cycle? If so, make sure that your AMCAS app is submitted and verified, all your LORs are in, and your secondaries are finished and mailed backed, so come september when you get your scores, you are already complete at all the schools and all they are waiting for is your MCAT. This will definetly provide you peace of mind come April. Good luck!

Thanks DoctaJay, will do!!!

Hello everyone just wanted to check in and give the thread a boost :D !

Hello everyone. It has definitely been a while but first I would like to congratulate all who have recently been accepted to med school! I have been MIA trying to get things sorted out with financial aid. My goodness...there are so many forms to fill out!! But at least I'm a little more informed about the borrowing process and what needs to be done. Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Hello everyone. It has definitely been a while but first I would like to congratulate all who have recently been accepted to med school! I have been MIA trying to get things sorted out with financial aid. My goodness...there are so many forms to fill out!! But at least I'm a little more informed about the borrowing process and what needs to be done. Hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Glad to have you check in.:thumbup: It is good that you are getting those forms filled out. It's not a bad idea to fill out your financial aid forms (FAFSA) right after you complete and send your AMCAS. You can designate the schools that you applied to on the form.

The good thing about the FAFSA is that once you fill it out, it easier to update every year. Be sure to keep your Password/PIN in a safe place.

Glad to have you check in.:thumbup: It is good that you are getting those forms filled out. It's not a bad idea to fill out your financial aid forms (FAFSA) right after you complete and send your AMCAS. You can designate the schools that you applied to on the form.

The good thing about the FAFSA is that once you fill it out, it easier to update every year. Be sure to keep your Password/PIN in a safe place.

Hello njbmd! :) I really enjoy reading your blog, I wish I had seen it before I applied :oops: I wanted to ask you some questions.

About those financial forms, is it okay to indicate schools that I have not heard back from post- interview? I thought it would confuse them and maybe have them wondering if I am being over-zealous in adding them to my list of schools and I didn't want it to have any bearing on my decisions.

Also- do you have any advice for those of us entering medical school, is there anything you would do differently if you did it again?

And one more question- I saw in your blog that you did well on your boards. Would you mind sharing some advice on exactly how you prepared? Did you start preparing early...say in your 1st year? I will be entering medical school in the fall and I want to do all that I can do as soon as school starts to make sure that I can do the very best of my ability on the boards. Your input would be greatly appreciated :).
Thanks!! :D