Any black female pre-meds out there? part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello All,

I am new to studentdoctor.net and It pleases me to see such a wonderful representation of African American women in the field of medicine. I am currently planning on applying to MD/PhD programs for the Fall of 2011. So if anyone has any advice about the process of applying to Med School, I would be so appreciative!!!! Hope to hear some great things from my fellow sistas!!!

Much Love
BNN
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University 09'

Hello Hello welcome to our positive thread! I'm finishing up my thesis and am feeling so excited about the idea that I will finally be able to study for the MCAT as strange as that might sound. It's not a stressful obstacle to me after everything I have been through to make it a reality -- to eventually become a physician.

It helps to come on this thread every once in a while and post about my progress and most of all to encourage my sisters in their own journeys through and toward medicine. All best and positive vibes,

GraC~

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ladies! It's been a long time since I've posted in here and it's great to see that the thread is still going. Congratulations to all those who have been accepted this cycle and good luck to those who are still interviewing or waiting to hear back!

Start your personal statement now. Also go to AMCAS print out a hard copy of the application, and start filling it out. Get those LOR's now you will be suprised how many requests prof. get so ask them early. I asked my Prof. early, and they did them and had them waiting for me for when I had my AMCAS number. Have a variety of LOR's because different schools want different kinds. For example, UF wanted one from a peer. In May request your transcripts to get sent to AMCAS. Practice interviewing, and read the SDN interview feedback. Some schools recycle secondaries find out the prompts. The schools seem to ask the same thing but in differnt ways, and differnt character numbers I promise if you have a strong application, and apply early you will hear something back. By Oct. you will already have a least one seat, and spend the rest of your time stress free and being silly.

:xf:Good Luck I hope to see more sisters and brothas in upcoming classes

accepted 2014 UCF
GO ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

Hey ayznshorti!

I haven't checked into this thread for a long time. Its nice to see some familiar folks.How is medschool treating ya? I will have some questions for ya, soon. LOL

Yes, the old gang is back and then some. Hope no one is snowed in as I am about to spend more quality time in Baltimore this weekend (Hopkins) on a project. Oh joy! there is so much white stuff around.

Hey Ladies!

Med school is treating me well for the most part. I'm mostly hanging out at this point and attending this Intro to Internship type class this month (my whole class is mandatoried into it). I'm taking MICU next month as my very last rotation in med school (EVER!) -- hopefully, I'll be too busy to think too hard about the fast approaching Match Day.

QueenShawtii -- PM me your questions.. I'm ready for em!

njbmd -- It's great to see that you're here providing inspiration for the masses :)

Hey, I'm new too.

I'm a second generation Nigerian-American living in Texas. I'm completing my freshman year in college. I'm in pre-med, and will major in biology. Most of my black female friends will be going into Nursing. My parents were both nurses, not something I want to follow.

Hey, I'm new too.

I'm a second generation Nigerian-American living in Texas. I'm completing my freshman year in college. I'm in pre-med, and will major in biology. Most of my black female friends will be going into Nursing. My parents were both nurses, not something I want to follow.

Your first post and you chose our positive thread. Welcome, welcome! We are happy and honored to have you. The wisdom on this thread is great and we support each other and the brothers too. Good luck in your studies!!

Welcome KittenMoon!! I hope things go well for you!

As an update ladies -- I'm going to be practicing Emergency Medicine in Brooklyn, NY! I'm so excited! It's hard to believe that it wasn't that long ago, that I was posting here in this thread as a pre-med... and now I'm about to graduate! It goes by fast ladies... before you even know it! Enjoy the ride!

It's been awhile, wanted to BUMP this thread! Hope all is well :) Best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ladies,
I've embarked on the journey as well. Congrats to all the sisters that are finishing up and have made it through. Thanks for your words of encouragement and reaching back to help those of us that are following in your foot steps.

Hey, I've been browsing SDN for a little while now but never came across this thread until it was bumped. I'm a first generation Nigerian that hasn't even officially started college yet :) I've been checking out this website and just getting information on the application process, and what I need to expect. Congrats to the ones before me now excelling

*raises hand* ooooooo me!! I'm one!!

Hey ladies!! Love this thread :)

Which schools are you girls applying to for next fall? I wish you all the best!

Thought this thread could use a bump!

I also just want to say thank you to all of the women who have succeeded and provided advice and words of encouragement. When I first saw this thread I was beyond excited! :)
I am applying this cycle and to all of those doing the same I wish you luck!:woot:

Last edited:
This thread is so exciting to me:laugh:.. it's good to know there's a place for specific advice for us..

i'm also applying this cycle.. so exciting, but yet very nerve-wracking at the same time

Hi All,

Its been a while since I've been on the thread... I thought I'd check in and share some GREAT news!!! I will be attending University of Florida College of Medicine next fall!!! Thank you to everyone on the thread. Your advice and encouragement have been invaluable!!!

I'm here for anyone going through the process. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!!

B.Newby :)

Florida A&M University '09

Hi All,

Its been a while since I've been on the thread... I thought I'd check in and share some GREAT news!!! I will be attending University of Florida College of Medicine next fall!!! Thank you to everyone on the thread. Your advice and encouragement have been invaluable!!!

I'm here for anyone going through the process. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!!

B.Newby :)

Florida A&M University '09

congratulations :love:

Wow I havent seen this thread in a long time!!!!

I will be attending the American Univ. of The Caribbean located in St. Maarten, starting Jan 2011!!!! Good luck to all those who are applying this year! Congrats to those who have already received acceptances!

Hello yall! Just wanted to chime in and say hey!

Hi! I'm black, and I'm interested in becoming a doctor! =')

hello new member. i'm glad to see women of color making a difference in the world by pursuing medicine. i just begin my journey in becoming a surgeon but i see you guys as a huge inspiration already. good luck with your journeys.

I know your comment was 3 years ago... But that is good to hear!! I am very interested in the Drew/ULCA program... how did things end up?

Hello everyone. Does anyone know anything about the Chicago Schools? I am trying to choose which ones to apply to, if not all of them but I need to know a little more. I figured that some ppl on SDN probably had some experiences with the schools and know more about the schools than I can find out on the websites.
Thanks

... I know you posted this forever ago... but I am in the process of a "do it yourself Post Bac" at NIU. I was wondering what you ended up doing. I am from the Chicago land area.. I've visited Northwestern, but still trying to make contact with the other medical schools... Loyola has not been the most helpful... what med school do you attend now?

hello everyone!

I didn't even know this thread existed! :love:

Hey there everyone :]
Any other interests aside from Pre-med/Med?

I love to draw, and I sometimes like to write sarcastic things.
C'mon let's see some hobbies.

Lets URM it up…..+1 for the hood yo.

Woohoo what's up my friends? I'm a white male, I hope y'all don't mind!

hey guys.... I know i'm a little late, but I'm a rising Junior at Columbia and... hi.

Woohoo what's up my friends? I'm a white male, I hope y'all don't mind!

:thumbup:

This made me LOL.

On a srs note though: I'm not an African American female but I do want to say kudos to everyone in this thread (regardless of gender, race, or ethnicity) who has risen against socioenconomic odds and has dared to pursue medicine. That in of itself is a great leap Forward.

23, senior undergrad working my way through the prereqs! I started a little late in the game but I'm excited to be on the journey :) Hopefully I'll finish everything up to start applying in 2016.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user