This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wtp007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: 3.83
sGPA: 3.84
MCAT: 490....
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 123
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 123
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 124
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 120

ER Scribe: Over 2000 hours by applying
Athletic Tutor: ~200 hours
Patient Care Advocate at Hospital: 100 hours
Volunteer Tutor: ~300 hours

Pre-Med Club
1 year of Wood Turtle Research
20 hours shadowing a D.O.
10 hours shadowing a Maxillofacial Surgeon
Lots of combined shadowing hours (50) with NP and Dentist

Right now I'm really torn because I was scoring around 500 on practice exams and somehow just did much worse. I really didn't study as much as I probably should have because I figured a 500 something would be sufficient. I really don't think I have any chance anywhere with this score so I was wondering if I could get some advice or just any school I could possibly apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do for your MCAT prep?

You are such a solid applicant outside of that MCAT score. Retake the MCAT, but not until you are consistently scoring where you want to on practice exams (500 is not where you want to be). Devote your next few months to MCAT studying and make that score match the rest of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What did you do for your MCAT prep?

You are such a solid applicant outside of that MCAT score. Retake the MCAT, but not until you are consistently scoring where you want to on practice exams (500 is not where you want to be). Devote your next few months to MCAT studying and make that score match the rest of your application.

I had ExamKrackers which I didn't actually use. But then I took an MCAT course at my university and the E-MCAT online things.

Even for DO schools, that's too low of an MCAT. You want at least a 505 for DO, and around a 510+ to be safe for MD schools. Highly recommend retaking the MCAT when you're ready and apply next cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Do you guys think it would be smart to sign up for an MCAT later this year and just apply late?

Do you guys think it would be smart to sign up for an MCAT later this year and just apply late?

Worry about doing well on the MCAT first. Once you are happy with your score, you can go ahead and apply. The DO cycle is longer, and applying later this year (assuming you mean late fall) shouldn't be a problem.

Only if you have time to study.

You own examkrackers so I would start with that (I used EK and did well so it does get the job done). They have a basic 10 week schedule you can use or modify to fit your needs. https://www.examkrackers.com/mcat/MCAT-HomeStudy.aspx.

Give yourself plenty of time to do a solid content review AND plenty of practice tests/section banks. If you can get that done this year in time to apply then that's fantastic. If you can't, then you are far better postponing the MCAT until you are ready to rock it. If that means delaying your applications for a year, then that's what you'll have to do.

There's some good advice on study plans on the MCAT section of this forum. I would start there.