Any dermatology research opportunities for a first-year medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo2021ihope

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - I'm currently a first-year medical student with a strong interest in dermatology. I would love to gain some experience working in research that has roots in derm, preferably this summer (2018) when school is out of session. Any recommendations, advice or the like would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone - I'm currently a first-year medical student with a strong interest in dermatology. I would love to gain some experience working in research that has roots in derm, preferably this summer (2018) when school is out of session. Any recommendations, advice or the like would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would start by reaching out to your home derm department to see if they have any programs available.

Most won't offer funding for a MS1. You can check with your dean's office as well to see if they offer any summer programs as well. I was able to coordinate a research project with funding that way.

I would start by reaching out to your home derm department to see if they have any programs available.

Most won't offer funding for a MS1. You can check with your dean's office as well to see if they offer any summer programs as well. I was able to coordinate a research project with funding that way.

I was thinking of starting my research pathway by first piggy-backing onto a current project, so that I can learn more about the process, methods, techniques and gain that exposure. Do you think that's a smart idea and/or worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad :)

You're an osteopathic medical student at a relatively new school, so the cards are very, very heavily stacked against you, unfortunately. In order to have a shot at an AOA dermatology residency,you'll have to have lots of research under your belt, super references/connections, and a killer COMLEX score.

I'm rooting for ya!

EDIT: Oh, and regarding research opportunities... Umm, maybe get in touch with staff members at the AOA dermatology residency programs in Florida?

Last edited:
You're an osteopathic medical student at a relatively new school, so the cards are very, very heavily stacked against you, unfortunately. In order to have a shot at an AOA dermatology residency,you'll have to have lots of research under your belt, super references/connections, and a killer COMLEX score.

I'm rooting for ya!

EDIT: Oh, and regarding research opportunities... Umm, maybe get in touch with staff members at the AOA dermatology residency programs in Florida?
I don't think AOA residencies will exist when the OP applies for residency as the merger should be complete by then

I don't think AOA residencies will exist when the OP applies for residency as the merger should be complete by then

Right. But some have speculated that these residencies will still prefer DOs. Not sure if that's how it'll play out... but it's OP's only real shot.