Any idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsROMA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am seeking some advice from anyone from this site. Basically, I am a US 4th year med student who is going to graduate in May, but unfortunately did not match this year. I think the biggest issue was that I was not sure what I wanted to do and could not decide early on b/c so many outside influences (ie family, friends, advisors) and applied much late in the application process.

So now I am paying the price with no job for a year. Fortunately, I spent some time with severeal anesthesiologists during the last month and really like the experience. So much so that I wish I knew about this field much earlier.

Reading several posts on this forum I realized that most of you have step 1 scores of +220. Does one need to have this to have a chance ? My Step 1 and step 2 are in low 200 and my clerkships were in mostly HP and some P and H. Have several publications and abstracts in molecular biology. I am not sure what my odds are?

I am not sure what I could do to improve my chance at this late in time? More Research?
Is doing a rotation in anesthesiology possible post graduation possible b/c I am graduating this coming May.
Should I forget this and go into IM or FM, which I know I'd be miserable?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I am seeking some advice from anyone from this site. Basically, I am a US 4th year med student who is going to graduate in May, but unfortunately did not match this year. I think the biggest issue was that I was not sure what I wanted to do and could not decide early on b/c so many outside influences (ie family, friends, advisors) and applied much late in the application process.

So now I am paying the price with no job for a year. Fortunately, I spent some time with severeal anesthesiologists during the last month and really like the experience. So much so that I wish I knew about this field much earlier.

Reading several posts on this forum I realized that most of you have step 1 scores of +220. Does one need to have this to have a chance ? My Step 1 and step 2 are in low 200 and my clerkships were in mostly HP and some P and H. Have several publications and abstracts in molecular biology. I am not sure what my odds are?

I am not sure what I could do to improve my chance at this late in time? More Research?
Is doing a rotation in anesthesiology possible post graduation possible b/c I am graduating this coming May.
Should I forget this and go into IM or FM, which I know I'd be miserable?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Sorry to hear that dude....

US MD or US DO?

Why didn't you match specifically? What were you going for?

Do you have a strong gas program at your home school? Is it advanced or cat?

I know this q is tough to answer objectively, but whats your personality like? Do you feel you did poorly on IVs?

Answer those first, and I can offer a bit of guidance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I am currently 4th year US MD student. I dont believe IV is an issue, but I think it is more to do with the timing of my application. I submitted in early january, which eliminated most of potential interviews. I believe that the problem stemmed from not really knowing what I wanted to do early on.

But also concerned with USMLE step1 , which most programs based their initial screening process. With low 200, would I still be able to receive few interviews ?

I really want to gain more GAS experience. Since I will be done with school, would I still be able to do somesort of rotation in GAS?

Thank you

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently 4th year US MD student. I dont believe IV is an issue, but I think it is more to do with the timing of my application. I submitted in early january, which eliminated most of potential interviews. I believe that the problem stemmed from not really knowing what I wanted to do early on.

But also concerned with USMLE step1 , which most programs based their initial screening process. With low 200, would I still be able to receive few interviews ?

I really want to gain more GAS experience. Since I will be done with school, would I still be able to do somesort of rotation in GAS?

Thank you

I) Step scores: US MD + Low 200 (w/ no prior failures) will not eliminate your chances of obtaining a gas residency. Yes, its on the lower end and probably won't land a spot of your choice, but it can still land you a spot somewhere.

II) Gas has 2 types of programs, adv and cat (its about a 50/50 split). Adv you need a prelim as well, cat has it built in. RIGHT NOW you need to talk to your home gas PD and tell them the situation. See if they know of any residency spots available either home or away. Also, try to setup a late elective as a student if possible (We can do electives through May)

III) This might be a long shot, but you need to call around and see if there are any open "out of the match" spots at various residency programs. Best to not do it blindly... your home PD might be able to guide you to available spots. Do not rely on SDN advice to find available spots, you need some inside info.

IV) If all else fails, entering the match cycle next year with nothing to show for the entire year will probably pull up red flags for programs. To eliminate this, you have 1 of 2 options:
1) Find an available out of the match prelim in med/surg/or ty and begin this in July 09. It shouldn't be too difficult especially if you look for prelim surg spots. You'll have some form of income and you can use elective months to work in the Gas department or Gas research if possible. Cons: if you match into a cat program in '10, you might have to repeat their specific intern year (unless you decide to only apply to adv programs).
2) Dedicate the year to gas research. It will show programs you're def. intrested in Gas. Cons: Probably no to little income with a year loss of clinical experience. Personally I would do option 1 if possible, that way I can get use electives for gas and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Either way you choose, you need to make contacts for LORs and use all available resources to find out of the match spots during the year. Remember you are not contracted to anyone if ou enter the match until your rank list is submitted on deadline, this gives a lot of time to look for out of the match spots in the mean time.

V) Time is of the essence so get started ASAP. DO NOT SIT AROUND and wait for things to happen, make them happen. If you NRMP it next year, submit by sep 1. No excuses. Be warned though, its considerably harder to match once you're no longer a student.

VI) Stay confident, and keep your head up.