Any low gpa that took MS program and got in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkgrubby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on this forum who had a low gpa in their undergrad years and took a MS program for a year or two to beef up your resume and got into dental school? Could you tell me how it was taking the MS program and can you give any tips for someone that is going to follow the same path? I am thinking about taking MS program because my gpa isn't good enough to get into dental school. Would it be recommended to take a year off to pay off some loans and volunteer before going into a ms program?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a oGPA of 3.16 and a sGPA of 2.97 with a Biology and Accounting degree and 3 application cycles without acceptance. I also had some red flags on my criminal background. I decided I still wanted to pursue dentistry and went to a Biomedical Science Masters program, Barry University in Miami. It was a one year program and I was able to achieve a 4.0, retook the DAT and got a 23, added tons of shadowing and volunteer hours and received better LORs. I reapplied after completing the program last summer and received 4 interview invites, 3 waitlists and 1 acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
geesh that is a beast turn around. How were you able to turn it around, getting a 3.16 in undergrad and a 4.0 in grad? Did you take couple of years off? Im surprised you only got 1 acceptance, what school was it and how many did you apply to? I feel like you could have gotten accepted to alot more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a low GPA a masters degree is really the only route. You won't regret it, just nail it. I rounded out my application with A LOT of research hours and the usual volunteering and shadowing.
Best of luck

3.0 GPA in undergrad, 3.8 grad GPA. 18/18/21 DAT, 2 interviews 1 acceptance 1 wait list.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

take some science courses to bring up your gpa, but youre kinda out of luck

I applied to 21 schools, interviewed at Nova, Detroit Mercy, Case and LECOM (accepted). I was disappointed I didn't receive more interviews but I think my criminal background is the main reason. My grades in undergrad weren't really because I wasn't smart enough, I was immature, partied too much and had terrible study habits. So getting the 4.0 was actually pretty easy for me when I actually tried, but I know some people study hard and get low GPAs and may not be able to do well in a masters even if they gave it all they could.

take some science courses to bring up your gpa, but youre kinda out of luck

Two people responded that they completed a masters, improved their GPA and were accepted into dental school and you say he's out of luck? Please share your experience with us.

i have a 3.1 cum gpa and a 3.0 science gpa. Pretty crazy how you guys are able to turn it around. is the masters program kinda like an extended undergrad year? Would you say its alot harder than undergrad? Did you go straight to ms or took a couple years off?

Undergrad GPA was on the low side.... two-year Master's GPA was 4.0 (I crammed in 35 extra units of undergrad science courses to beef up my sGPA), brought my cGPA up to a ok-good average....My DAT was average for matriculating students.

Invited for interviews at 10+ schools. Was accepted at each of the schools I decided to interview at. Not one interview passed where my Master's Program was not brought up by an interviewer. They really liked my research/thesis-based program.

Now that the application cycle is over, I am so glad I waited to apply and completed a Master's Program.

UCLA c/o 2017!!

nice what was ur undergrad gpa and what did they ask you about your masters program? what did you do differently from undergrad to masters to get such a good gpa?

I had a oGPA of 3.16 and a sGPA of 2.97 with a Biology and Accounting degree and 3 application cycles without acceptance. I also had some red flags on my criminal background. I decided I still wanted to pursue dentistry and went to a Biomedical Science Masters program, Barry University in Miami. It was a one year program and I was able to achieve a 4.0, retook the DAT and got a 23, added tons of shadowing and volunteer hours and received better LORs. I reapplied after completing the program last summer and received 4 interview invites, 3 waitlists and 1 acceptance!

That's awesome! Love to see stories like this

I had a sub 3.3 overall GPA and just BARELY a 3.0 science GPA.

Attended a popular/established SMP (with thesis) and managed to graduate with a 3.9+ GPA (science classes such as biochemistry, physiology, pathology, etc.).

With a relatively strong DAT, I have been accepted to 5 dental schools and wait-listed at 1 other.

Completely worth it as long as you understand how important it is to do well in your masters program...and you actually do well.

Reactions: 1 user
what did you do differently from undergrad to masters to get such a good gpa?

It's all about commitment. I didn't really care about my future in undergrad, assuming everything will "just work out". If you decide to do the master's program, think of it as "your last chance" to go to dental school. I had to study twice as hard as other master's students since I was an economics major and I was taking biochem/histology/etc. for the first time in grad school, unlike the science-major students. So study hard, manage your time, and try to get a 3.8+.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely doable with a 3.0 science GPA.

I majored in psych. When I decided to apply to dental school, I needed actually 2 more pre-reqs (anatomy and biochem) for some of the schools that recommended it. I only had bio 1, 2, gen chem 1, 2, and orgo 1, 2, and physics at the time I think. Science GPA was around a 3.2 at the time. So I enrolled in a 1 year bio masters to complete the recommended anatomy and biochem, along with the core classes which had microbio, genetics and other upper division bio classes which someone with a science background would have taken prior to applying. So instead of doing 2 postbac classes, I ended up with a masters degree in bio sciences that really increased my science GPA. My MS bio science GPA was 3.79. My overall science went up to a 3.4. My DAT scores are right around or slightly above matriculant average and I had 3 acceptance and 4 invites.

Definitely take on the MS program and keep your GPA above a 3.7 if possible.

damn, I feel like Ima need to take a couple years off and really work on my ability as a student. I would really hate to spend that much money for MS degree and **** up, id be so depressed. Would you say the difficulty of MS non thesis was harder, same, or easier than undergrad?

damn, I feel like Ima need to take a couple years off and really work on my ability as a student. I would really hate to spend that much money for MS degree and **** up, id be so depressed. Would you say the difficulty of MS non thesis was harder, same, or easier than undergrad?

I know a year or two sounds like a long time to achieve your dreams but wouldn't you agree that it is worth it in order to achieve them?
You can always make good out of something bad. For example, I was in this situation from 2010-2012 and was able to turn my experience into a learning experience. It showed how driven I was to achieve my goals and I was actually able to use that to my advantage in my personal statement which I was told by both schools was very strong.
In the end you'll have an MS/MA (I'd recommend MS), you'll have grown as an individual and you'll more than likely have achieved your goal of being admitted to school assuming that you maintain the required GPA.
It personally taught me organizations skills. For a while I was working 2 jobs, writing my thesis, a full time MS student, shadowed and volunteered. Dental Schools love applicants that can show they are able to optimize their use of time.

The difficulty of your thesis will depend on your topic and your committee. You can't really compare the two IMO. Apples and oranges. I can tell you however that you'll be spending LOTS of hours, researching and writing. I easily have over 2000+ hrs worth of work invested over two years.

The material was harder but I found it easier than undergrad, if that makes sense. In undergrad there are distractions and competition between students. In my masters program we all were taking the same classes, so we all knew when to study and when to have fun. There was also no competition as the classes weren't curved, we actually worked together sharing notes, study guides, etc. My program didn't have a thesis so I didn't have to worry about that, and it never came up in an interview so I don't know if it matters or not.

I also felt that making that commitment really changes your outlook and I was more determined and totally revamped my study skills. When you have nothing to do besides be a student there is no reason you shouldn't get a 4.0 unless you spent too much time on other activities. I did a one year, but my program also had an 18 month and two year, and you had the option to go into a longer program if the course load was too much.

I would recommend Barry University in Florida as the Biomedical Sciences Masters program had its own building and faculty so it felt like it was easier to know your classmates and professors. The professors also usually worked together to make sure tests weren't all on the same day. It worked for me, and almost all the people I went to school with have been accepted into dental/med school.

The material was harder but I found it easier than undergrad, if that makes sense. In undergrad there are distractions and competition between students. In my masters program we all were taking the same classes, so we all knew when to study and when to have fun. There was also no competition as the classes weren't curved, we actually worked together sharing notes, study guides, etc. My program didn't have a thesis so I didn't have to worry about that, and it never came up in an interview so I don't know if it matters or not.

I also felt that making that commitment really changes your outlook and I was more determined and totally revamped my study skills. When you have nothing to do besides be a student there is no reason you shouldn't get a 4.0 unless you spent too much time on other activities. I did a one year, but my program also had an 18 month and two year, and you had the option to go into a longer program if the course load was too much.

I would recommend Barry University in Florida as the Biomedical Sciences Masters program had its own building and faculty so it felt like it was easier to know your classmates and professors. The professors also usually worked together to make sure tests weren't all on the same day. It worked for me, and almost all the people I went to school with have been accepted into dental/med school.

I'm planning on taking a one year non-thesis MS degree, is there one you would recommend in california? I would deff take a look into it. Should I bother applying if I get a 3.1 cum and 3.0 science gpa? With me getting a 20+ on the dat? I have seen some but few get in, in predental

Out of curiosity, which 1 year masters program did you choose? (if you don't mind me asking :))
It's around Cleveland, but it's not any of the well known 1 year SMP programs like UMDNJ or Midwestern or Barry.

Pressure builds character. If you're worried, take a full summer load of science classes as a post bac and see how you do. It was much easier doing a non-thesis of purely science (stuff I'm actually interested in) and not having to take stupid liberal arts electives every semester. I felt like it was easier, but I also studied more for my MS. But it's stuff I actually am interested in so maybe it wasn't easier but just because I liked it lol.

l.
We also weren't curved, but no competition??! I felt like we had some serious gunners in our MS program. Well, not gunners, just super entitled kids who felt like they deserve to go to med school. "My parents are doctors so I have to be a doctor" etc etc :laugh:

We also weren't curved, but no competition??! I felt like we had some serious gunners in our MS program. Well, not gunners, just super entitled kids who felt like they deserve to go to med school. "My parents are doctors so I have to be a doctor" etc etc :laugh:

Haha yea I guess we did have those, but they were the people that tended to not have many friends and would ask the rest of us for our notes and study guides. But maybe it was just the group of people in my class, we just realized it was more beneficial if we all worked together and I think it helped.

Do adcoms care if its a nonthesis program than a thesis? I wanna go one year non thesis, dont wanna deal with all that hassle with thesis program.

Do adcoms care if its a nonthesis program than a thesis? I wanna go one year non thesis, dont wanna deal with all that hassle with thesis program.

It never came up in an interview. I'm sure they like thesis programs better but when looking at a really good masters GPA I doubt the thesis matters all that much.

Has anyone got in with a low undergrad gpa and a 3.3-3.4 masters gpa?

The only guy I've heard of on here in a similar situation would be the infamous 2pacClone23, and we all know how that worked out... :-/
His DAT scores were pretty good, too. Something like 22 or 23 ish. TS or AA.

A masters is basically your last draw just short of getting a PhD prior to getting into dental school. Anything under a 3.5 will probably really make adcoms question your ability to do grad level work.

oh geesh that is scary stuff, basically its your last chance at it. Is it hard to get good grades for a masters degree? I'm afraid I won't perform well and waste my money, thats why I am gonna take a break from school for a bit. Maybe seeing how hard it is in real life, would motivate me to work that much harder

Last edited:
oh geesh that is scary stuff, basically its your last chance at it. Is it hard to get good grades for a masters degree? I'm afraid I won't perform well and waste my money, thats why I am gonna take a break from school for a bit. Maybe seeing how hard it is in real life, would motivate me to work that much harder

I really don't think it's that hard. You just need to study every day. The only people I knew that got low grades didn't study until 2 days before the test and never went to class. Real life is easier than school, you go to work, go home, watch tv, go out with your friends, etc. In school, if you want to succeed, you go to class, then to the library, get home at midnight and pass out, wake up at 8 and do it again. It's not always like that but you have to be willing to do what it takes.

hello everyone,
I'M 32 years old and I have engineering degree from overseas, I'M thinking about perusing dental career , will it too late for me? do dental school accept people in their mid 30 ....? does it really worth it?
please share your experience if you know old people with the same situation.
Thanks,

thnx for trying to hijack my thread lol. Man screw it pharmacy school! haha jk

thnx for trying to hijack my thread lol. Man screw it pharmacy school! haha jk

Lol the pharmacy over saturation is terrible. If you're looking for alternative health care route, PA school is a good gig. High in demand.

yeah I was highly considering physician assistant before dentistry actually, but I like the aspects of dentistry more. Plus isn't getting into physician assistant program just as hard as dentistry?

yeah I was highly considering physician assistant before dentistry actually, but I like the aspects of dentistry more. Plus isn't getting into physician assistant program just as hard as dentistry?

Naw. If you have a GPA that would allow you to consider dental, you should be more than competitive for PA school.

nah my gpa isn't good enough for dental thats why i was taking consideration other options such as pharmacy. I have a 3.1 ogpa and a 3.0 scigpa in biopsychology

I love all of these stories. I applied three times before I was accepted. I graduated with a BS in Biology and a minor in Psychology with a 3.6 overall GPA which isn't bad but a 3.1 science GPA. I did get to interview with this but the school was concerned about my science GPA so I did the 1 year Biomedical Science Program at UMMC in Jackson MS. I finished this with a 3.8 and was accepted the next year.

Undergrad GPA was on the low side.... two-year Master's GPA was 4.0 (I crammed in 35 extra units of undergrad science courses to beef up my sGPA), brought my cGPA up to a ok-good average....My DAT was average for matriculating students.

Invited for interviews at 10+ schools. Was accepted at each of the schools I decided to interview at. Not one interview passed where my Master's Program was not brought up by an interviewer. They really liked my research/thesis-based program.

Now that the application cycle is over, I am so glad I waited to apply and completed a Master's Program.

UCLA c/o 2017!!

I know this was posted some time ago. Could you tell me what masters program you attended to achieve this. I am in a very similar situation to you.

Hello,
I just finished my first semester of undergrad. I only took 9 hours because I work and take care of family. During my first semester my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and my dad had surgery on his stomach. I didn't do well AT ALL. I ended this semester with a terrible 1.0. I didn't take any sciences so my science gpa isn't affected. I'm going back and going to do better with less personal issues. Do I still have a shot at ending up with a competitive GPA for most dental schools? Thanks