any luck scrambling so far today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truckibear

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to whether anyone has happy stories of scrambling today. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know an AMG able to scramble into a prelim surg spot.

No. One phone call and I was told that there were 3200 eras applicants for their positions. I am not sure how I could have possibly stood out among that many. But not expecting to get anything, realistically. :(

Scrambled a spot in emergency medicine (what i tried matching into) today =)

I filed 44 applications electronically. It seemed like there were almost no phone numbers this year

Congrats LuckyMD. Did you just turn in your app and they called/e-mailed you? I wonder how people get those spots.

nope. this is one brutal process

Know of 2 AMG successful into good pre-lim surg years. Successful AMG into neurosurg. It works. In all cases those people had interviewed/been invited to interview or had connections to those schools.

Know of 2 AMG successful into good pre-lim surg years. Successful AMG into neurosurg. It works. In all cases those people had interviewed/been invited to interview or had connections to those schools.

Happen to know which Neurosurg program it was?

I found a prelim spot as a surgical intern at a community hospital.
I matched into anesthesia which was nice.

Good luck out there, it's cold outside.

I know the person who got one of the three ortho spots. :eek:

Matched into PM&R

Had to scramble into a prelim spot

Got one yesterday in gen surg at a community program as well!

no luck at all with scramble. its looking bleak.

HIJay, last year I failed in the scramble. It was horrible. And this year, with no material change in my app, I prematched into the program of my choice in the specialty of my choice. I cannot describe my relief, and I just want to tell you not to give up.

thanks a lot for that encouragement. did you take step 3 in the mean time?

No luck either.
Heard of someone successfully getting one of the few Prelim IM.

one prelim IM rejected me bc i told them i failed at the match because i was going for EM. the PD told me "sorry we are not looking for applicant like you"
i was shock

no luck with the scramble yesterday at all! it was a brutally painful day and ended up depressing.
Now, I'm wondering what to do with my next year. I am an American who went to a caribbean school. I'm done with school. I wanted to do PMR initially but didn't even scramble into FP or peds.
So, what are the chances of getting a prelim year in medicine vs. surgery post match in the next weeks or months?
:(
I heard people do
- research
- observership (not even sure what that is)
- just get a job as a substitute teacher

any ideas on what would be most helpful for the match next year?

sub teacher? you dont need a teaching license or degree for that? interesting

sub teacher? you dont need a teaching license or degree for that? interesting

Depends on the State, but usually not. My state all you need is a high school diploma

I am an AMG, and I didn't match last year. The scramble was horrible and unsuccessful the first week for me. After that I told a research associate position at my institution was opening, so I quit look for a residency spot. I started doing research (nothing immediately publishable), changed specialties, and I matched this year in EM. I also have a coworker that's an IMG doing research as well. And a former classmate that's working for the department of student affairs.

one prelim IM rejected me bc i told them i failed at the match because i was going for EM. the PD told me "sorry we are not looking for applicant like you"
i was shock

Jay, I am sure it was nothing personal. I am sure that the program director simply wanted someone who failed to match into Internal Medicine and therefore, had more interest in HIS field/program.

I have no idea how to gauge the scramble overall, I just know that for me it was hard. I had three phone calls for FM, and nothing has come of them. One program called very quickly but didn't seem to know anything about my application and read it while on the phone with me; they are the one that told me they had 3200 applications for their spots.

My final call came at 7 pm in the evening and I liked the PD who called but again, nothing came of it.

I am not sure if this means I am not a very viable candidate and that might be very likely true. I am an AMG and post graduation. I am thinking that I will leave medicine as it is so hard to try and get back into a residency after you are out. Your sell-by date comes and goes very quickly and with so much other competition it is really hard to fight your way back.

These are just my thoughts. That for me I think I am about ready to give up on medicine. When you are in it, everything is golden. But once you are out, it can be very hard to get back in.

so what is your plan may i ask with the med school loans and all?

medicine is one field where you can graduate with a prestigious diploma yet w/o a job and a massive debt

Jay, I am sure it was nothing personal. I am sure that the program director simply wanted someone who failed to match into Internal Medicine and therefore, had more interest in HIS field/program.

yea i know. i guess i know relate what the PD wants. but still doesnt mean i wont work hard as a prelim med resident and afterall prelim is just 1 yr, not like im going for categorical IM spots

Is it hard to get a prelim medicine spot after the scramble in the next few months? How do I look for that?

so what is your plan may i ask with the med school loans and all?

medicine is one field where you can graduate with a prestigious diploma yet w/o a job and a massive debt

Uh, I have no idea. It's not like I haven't been busting my behind here. I am working very hard trying to get back in. It is amazing how quickly people lose interest in you once you are out of medicine. I am still processing all this and it is really very difficult. With all that is at stake, as well as all my training and experience I am amazed at how little value I seem to have now. Being a non-student and non-resident is like being nothing. It is a horrible feeling. Like I said, when you are in medicine you are golden but once you are out it's a whole different scene. Unless you have mentors, people willing to help you then it can be incredibly hard. You're like a roadside accident, people slow down to look but then speed up and move on.

I am not sure what I am going to do, to be honest. I actually really loved medicine. :oops:

yea i know. i guess i know relate what the PD wants. but still doesnt mean i wont work hard as a prelim med resident and afterall prelim is just 1 yr, not like im going for categorical IM spots

I know this isn't consolation, but the significant other is scrambling for surg prelim years (2nd scramble experience too). It's so difficult to see all you (but I'm still happy for all of you) who don't want to do surgery get a prelim year, but he who wants to do surgery can't seem to find one. It's a lot of anger and agitation at this point. Hope you find better luck HiJay.

i wonder if the health care reform will ever address the shortage of residency slots so we can finally get rid of this scramble nightmare process

i wonder if the health care reform will ever address the shortage of residency slots so we can finally get rid of this scramble nightmare process

And I often wonder if I could ever grow my own wings and fly. Oh, I mean, maybe they'll consider it???? I have high doubts until the right people throw a fit.

And I often wonder if I could ever grow my own wings and fly. Oh, I mean, maybe they'll consider it???? I have high doubts until the right people throw a fit.

i heard a rumor that if one drinks red bull they might! haha

just need some humor in this past 3 depressing days for me and others

i heard a rumor that if one drinks red bull they might! haha

just need some humor in this past 3 depressing days for me and others

haha. Was hoping you wouldn't take the comment wrongly. Proof you'd be good for EM. A sense of humor will go a long way this week. Got to have it to go on.

My SO and I are facing the harsh reality we may not live in the same state for another 5 years (added on to the 3 we've already had). Who else in the world is faced with this? Even in this job market, people are able to move when family has to move. Except we who have to match to go somewhere. Ugh.

Edit: and maybe I should try the red bull trick tonight. Maybe with something else in it. Maybe the something else will provide the energy to fly while the red bull grows the wings...

red bull vodka is great if you want something legal.
otherwise i think i saw House once drank red bull and vicodin i believe
or redbull and steroids?

i feel for you em2be, as bad as my situation is, not able to see your SO and be with SO for 8 yrs is a downer. best wishes to you.

red bull vodka is great if you want something legal.
otherwise i think i saw House once drank red bull and vicodin i believe
or redbull and steroids?

i feel for you em2be, as bad as my situation is, not able to see your SO and be with SO for 8 yrs is a downer. best wishes to you.

It's all legal if you already have the stuff around your house ;)

Thanks and good luck to you! :luck: (maybe the 4 leaf clover today is an omen of good luck)

I wish all of you guys the best of luck. I had to scramble last year, and while I did get a spot, I had to make a drastic change specialties (ortho to anesthesia with a peds prelim) which has been hard -- especially for the prelim year -- this year has been slightly miserable (think Office Space; every day is the worst day of my life). I think anesthesia will be better.

I'd encourage you guys to be careful what you choose to do -- either be sure that you want to do something else, do something else temporarily if you can get it, or do talk to contacts and try to find a research position in the desired specialty. Again, good luck.

The match is done now but reading this thread and others I know some might not have been successful in the scramble. Don't get too frustrated and don't make any quick decisions. I've been in that situation also.

Talk to friends, family, and advisors but first take time to relax. The match is long and stressful and if it did not work out I know how it feels. It feels like the stress isn't going to improve ever.

I agree with many posts here about finding a research position but finding someone who will make that extra push for you next time is important. Not every body will be able to do research with a department chair but when you have relaxed and sure you want to try again find someone who will understand and write a great letter, make a phone call to help, and talk with you honestly!

I do not want to mention any of you on this thread directly but for some that have posted I hope you will see that many members will support you here on SDN (some other members will be difficult but ignore them). Post often with any questions and you will see that you have friends here to help you. SDN was very helpful for me and it will be for you too.

I do not want to mention any of you on this thread directly but for some that have posted I hope you will see that many members will support you here on SDN (some other members will be difficult but ignore them). Post often with any questions and you will see that you have friends here to help you. SDN was very helpful for me and it will be for you too.
Well said. :)
My heart really goes out to anyone who has to scramble. I was in that position last year and it was a horrible time for not only me but my family. If there is any advice or support we can give that will be helpful, I agree that many of us will be happy to help.

do any of you have any advice on the possible loan situations? i have both private and fed loans
thanks

With that said, i have a question. I am a DO student that stupidly ignored the AOA match and now left to wonder where am going to end up. I am calling up places for an internship position now with the hope i get another crack at it next yr for gen surg. Is there something else i should be considering right now for next yr. Most available internship position is at a 200-300bed hosp in NY. Its better than nothing or research IMHO cause i am not a fan of research.

Besides that, i don't think i have anything new on my CV for next yr. Any thoughts?

I'm pre-pre med so many years away from all of this, but know people who have had to scramble (but did so successfully). I read on the website of the match that they are going to make the scramble much more civilized (and organized) in 2012. Yay. So for everyone who has pushed for change, it worked.