ANY MSSM waitlist movement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashtie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...I'm waiting anxiously. They said in their email that the WL would start to move late April- early May so just interested if anyone has heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad.

i just emailed the office today and was told that they haven't begun taking ppl of the waitlist and they won't be doing so unitl late May. I was also originally told late April, may so I am a little disappointed. good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked the waitlist thread for Sinai from last year, and it looks like there is no movement until the end of may. It also looks like it happens in batches, with the last one occurring sometime in july. Not sure if that holds true each year though... :luck:

sh2021 said:
i just emailed the office today and was told that they haven't begun taking ppl of the waitlist and they won't be doing so unitl late May. I was also originally told late April, may so I am a little disappointed. good luck to all.

wow, you'd go to mssm over downstate as an instate res?

exmike, i understand your surprise--i did struggle with the issue for a long while but from what i hear downstate does not treat its student very well and there is no support structure whatsoever. mssm is the opposite--students really come first. This might seem like a trivial issue to some but as a married person who plans on having babies in med school, i really need to be in a supportive environment. Plus, mssm is ranked much higher than downstate which will help me when i apply for residency. So all in all i decided it was worth taking out the loans...

I havent even heard back yet from mssm.........I interviewed in mid march....what gives? anyone else have this problem.

sh2021 said:
exmike, i understand your surprise--i did struggle with the issue for a long while but from what i hear downstate does not treat its student very well and there is no support structure whatsoever. mssm is the opposite--students really come first. This might seem like a trivial issue to some but as a married person who plans on having babies in med school, i really need to be in a supportive environment. Plus, mssm is ranked much higher than downstate which will help me when i apply for residency. So all in all i decided it was worth taking out the loans...

sh2021, i'm in the position of trying to decide between mssm and downstate too. i'm leaning towards mssm for the same reasons that u said and also the students at downstate don't seem as happy as they do at mssm.
good luck with the waitlist

Now I know that SUNYs are cheap, but you get for what you pay for, i.e. admin., no perks/scholarships, all student loans. You know what I mean if you've attended a SUNY. Most of the people claim the same advantage re: Downstate, it's cheap. That doesn't sound too convincing.

If you had to choose btw MSSM and Downstate, that's an easy one. But if cost is your deciding factor, make sure you really end up paying a lot less at Downstate. If MSSM gives you a low EFC, then you may end up paying only a little more at MSSM than in Downstate, where you're probably in for all student loans. Also, MSSM has a Sinai school loan that you won't have to pay until after residency, unlike most med schools. Do some calculating and in the long run, you may actually pay the same amount.

HI guys, stupid question but is there a separate waitlist and alternate list? or is it all one big thing? for those of you who interviewed early and were placed on the list did the letter state that you had to accept an alternate place or was it just a regular waitlist letter?

mine says alternate list, and i was the second interview day..... so who knows, maybe alternate is better than waitlist

bump. any idea if there is a difference between the "Alternate" and "Wait" lists at sinai?

i interviewed in december and was placed on the alternate list in february. i have a feeling they're pretty much the same because the day i interviewed, one of the doctors who was interviewing explained to everyone interviewing how the process works. basically, after they interview you, the committee gives you a numbered rank. and they offer acceptances to everyone who is up to a certain number (i'd guess 300 or so) and everyone from 301 on gets put on the alternate list. so the alternate (aka wait) list probably just goes down this list in order until the class is full. i'm not sure if i'm 100% correct about this though. did anyone else hear anything about the process?

Hi everyone,

I got a letter today that says I am on the alternate list and I called and asked if there was a differene between alternate list and waitlist and according to MSSM admissions, there is no difference: it's one big list!!

Ah well. Seems there is no way to know where exactly we are on that alternate list and what chance we have!!!

Good luck everyone! :luck: Here's to hoping! :D