Any neurologists in palliative medicine?

Started by TotalCare
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TotalCare

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be applying for residency next year and am still undecieded in terms of specialties. I have strong interests in hospice care as well as neurology.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how to best prepare for a hospice & palliative medicine fellowship? I love neurology but am wondering if FP or IM would provide a more appropriate training? Would neurology training be a disadvantage when applying for a palliative medicine fellowship?

I posted this question for the IM and FP forums but had no responses.

I would really appreciate any advise.

Thanks.
 
TotalCare said:
I'll be applying for residency next year and am still undecieded in terms of specialties. I have strong interests in hospice care as well as neurology.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows how to best prepare for a hospice & palliative medicine fellowship? I love neurology but am wondering if FP or IM would provide a more appropriate training? Would neurology training be a disadvantage when applying for a palliative medicine fellowship?

I have heard of neurology residents and fellowship moonlighting with hospice in Massachusetts and New York. Although I believe that it may be one of the paths that can lead to hospice, I do not have first-hand knowledge of any neurologists in hospice care on a full-time basis. Perhaps, you may have some better input by writing a director at a hospice care center and asking for their opinion.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hospice+care+center

-274
 
I know nothing of this firsthand, but a neurlogist on faculty at a university hospital told me recently that there were palliative care fellowships for neurologists. This was new to me but apparently it is out there for neurologists. I don't have anymore details.
Also, an attending I made rounds with was a director of a hospice group on the side. To be honest, I think this had a lot more to do with financial reward than the warm fuzzies he got working with such patients.