Any news from OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
star22 said:
Just out of curiosity, how many people are at the average interview session? For me, there were 16 interviewees (4 OR residents), so based on this, it seems they could get all of the interviews done in 10-12 weeks... not seven months. I know I should just be more patient, but it just feels like the committee could/should be done by now.

I agree completely. I have an especially difficult problem b/c my top choice other than OHSU is Case Western and they start on July 10. From talking with a couple friends in last years entering class, I found out that some people didn't hear anything until AUGUST! If that happened to me, I'd already be a month into classes at Case. Given how they do things, at the very least, I think they should comply with the AAMC guidelines and get things pretty well wrapped up by the end of March, but they didn't ask me.

My interview group had 4 people in it. All Oregon residents. I have no clue what average would be: (4+16)/2 = 10? That would take them about 40 days of interviews or 13 weeks if they interview 3 days a week. The average day must have fewer than 10. Maybe they don't interview 3 days a week? Who knows. As far as I know, I've been waiting longer than anyone, so I have bragging rights! :(

Members don't see this ad.

so we're really not going to hear anything from OHSU till may?!

on the subject of interview groups, mine had maybe 10 people, and most were not oregonians. i can see where it makes sense to interview everybody before admitting most of the class, but i think they could speed up the interviewing process (and the review of secondaries!). i haven't heard back post-interview yet (just interviewed two weeks ago), but if i get waitlisted, i'm going to have to pull out of the waistlist by mid-july at the latest. i just can't move out of state and then move back asap in august. the one downside of ohsu's way of doing things is that i guess they lose lots of good applicants by admitting a good chunk of their class as late as august. at our interview, they mentioned they had to skip over 20 people or so on the waitlist for the august admissions because those people are already enrolled elsewhere -- lots of them probably would have gone to ohsu had they been offered a spot sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. They are running close to six weeks for post-interview notifications. Best of luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

bootz said:
Hey guys. They are running close to six weeks for post-interview notifications. Best of luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

I saw on another thread that you've been admitted. When did you interview? Congrats!

I'm still here wishing OHSU was a bit faster with their admissions process. Anybody else heard anything?

exlawgrrl said:
I saw on another thread that you've been admitted. When did you interview? Congrats!

I'm still here wishing OHSU was a bit faster with their admissions process. Anybody else heard anything?
I called the Admissions Office today to check on my post-interview status (interviewed 3/7). I was told that my file was presented to the comittee last thursday and could expect to find out my fate sometime within the next week and a half. Evidently, it takes them that long to tally ALL of the votes. :confused:
Best of luck to everyone sweating out with me during this incredibly long process!

I had the interview first days of February and my file had been discussed last thursday as well. Thay said the same thing to me - just 1-2 more weeks...
By the way it is far more than 6 weeks. :(

goodluck2 said:
I had the interview first days of February and my file had been discussed last thursday as well. Thay said the same thing to me - just 1-2 more weeks...
My fingers are crossed for the both of us then. Best of luck to you!

Paiger Pie said:
My fingers are crossed for the both of us then. Best of luck to you!

Thank you!
The same here :luck: :luck:

goodluck2 said:

I'm wondering why it took them so long to get to your file. Is this one of those Drexel style things where some interviewers take forever to submit their review? Anyway, good luck!

I got an on hold letter from OHSU last Sat. Basically it says that they had 525 interviewees and the committee will continue discussing till mid May. After that, you will get a final decision. Just to give you more info, the Admissions Office told me that about 60% of interviewees are in the on hold category. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed March 1st--just called the ad office, and they said that I had "been discussed" and--just like previous posts--it will be 1-1.5 weeks until the letter comes. :luck: let's hope for the best!!! :luck:

nicholasblonde said:
I interviewed March 1st--just called the ad office, and they said that I had "been discussed" and--just like previous posts--it will be 1-1.5 weeks until the letter comes. :luck: let's hope for the best!!! :luck:

what number did u call, cuz i can't seem to get through directly to the admissions office

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got phone call from them. I am in!!!!!
Hope to see you guys soon. Good luck :luck: :luck:

goodluck2 said:

congrats!

pdiddy348 said:
what number did u call, cuz i can't seem to get through directly to the admissions office

call the number on the back of your OHSU folder that they gave you on interview day...ask the operator on that line for the (MD Program Admissions Office). Good Luck!

goodluck2 said:

Who called you? It seems that every single other person has received their notification (positive and negative notification) via snail mail.

I don't remember her name. I think the reason why she called me (according to her words) was that it took unusually long for my file to be discussed by the Addcom.

goodluck2 said:
I don't remember her name. I think the reason why she called me (according to her words) was that it took unusually long for my file to be discussed by the Addcom.

Wow, makes you wonder if they read your previous SDN post about being way beyond 6 weeks. :)

bootz said:
Wow, makes you wonder if they read your previous SDN post about being way beyond 6 weeks. :)
If I knew, I would post it a month ago :D

bootz said:

They did mention something about rumors on SDN at my interview, so maybe they are watching. :scared: The good thing was that they corrected the information posted earlier dealing with tuition increases in the third and fourth year -- tuition does increase about 4% a year, but students in each year pay about the same tuition, so no tuition doesn't go up $10k at the end.

Congrats, goodluck! That was nice that they called you.

exlawgrrl said:
They did mention something about rumors on SDN at my interview, so maybe they are watching. :scared: The good thing was that they corrected the information posted earlier dealing with tuition increases in the third and fourth year -- tuition does increase about 4% a year, but students in each year pay about the same tuition, so no tuition doesn't go up $10k at the end.

They mentioned this on my interview day as well. I think there was also some info posted a while back saying that OHSU didn't interview OOSers that had below a certain gpa and MCAT score. This was definitely a false rumor, too...

exlawgrrl said:

Really? The paperwork they sent out before my interview said tuition was ~$12,500 (oos) per quarter and at the bottom it says that you're required to pay 14 quarters of tuition. So, it may not rise per se, but it seems like a couple of years in there you will be paying more than the first year. I am not sure if it counts as a rumor if it is info they sent out to all interviewees.

If this is wrong, they should be more clear with the info they are sending. :rolleyes:

George_Clooney said:
Really? The paperwork they sent out before my interview said tuition was ~$12,500 (oos) per quarter and at the bottom it says that you're required to pay 14 quarters of tuition. So, it may not rise per se, but it seems like a couple of years in there you will be paying more than the first year. I am not sure if it counts as a rumor if it is info they sent out to all interviewees.

If this is wrong, they should be more clear with the info they are sending. :rolleyes:

I agree that it was unclear -- the person who spoke with us at our interview actually seemed irritated about these posts, but I think it's sort of OHSU's fault for not having updated financial aid info. For example, their website still has tuition from 2002 or something like that. Anyway, what they said was that the tuition per quarter decreases when you take four quarters, so the four quarters students pay the same in tuition as the three quarter students. That's why the tuition per quarter in that mailing was lower for third and fourth year students. It had been speculated here that you get grandfathered in at the tuition rate of the year you start, explaining those lower rates for 3rd and 4th years, but that's not the case.

a thin envelope arrived at my se portland home today, causing my heart to drop... FRIGGIN' ACCEPTANCE, CLACE OF 2010!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE MY DREAM IS FINALLY GOING TO BE MY REALITY! BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THOSE WAITING WITH BAITED BREATH. NEWS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

Paiger Pie said:
a thin envelope arrived at my se portland home today, causing my heart to drop... FRIGGIN' ACCEPTANCE, CLACE OF 2010!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE MY DREAM IS FINALLY GOING TO BE MY REALITY! BEST OF LUCK TO ALL THOSE WAITING WITH BAITED BREATH. NEWS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

Whoohoo, congrats!! :thumbup:

YES Congrats! That's awesome... Good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

exlawgrrl said:
Well, I heard today, too, and got the dreaded hold letter. :( It said we'll know in mid-May.

Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope you decide to wait it out since they do end up going through so many on the WL. L

bootz said:
Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope you decide to wait it out since they do end up going through so many on the WL. L

I'm going to wait to see if I get in in May or what my spot on the waitlist is. If it's lower, I'm going to withdraw because I can't deal with the drama. The more I think about this, though, the more irritated I am because OHSU actually tells premeds that they don't accept as many instate applicants because we're not qualified, which is bs. Maybe they didn't like some soft factors in my application, but I am a qualified applicant as are lots of people on this thread who haven't been admitted yet. It just sucks to live in a state that doesn't care about instate applicants. :mad:

Don't dread being on hold. The way I understand is that you can still be accepted off the hold list. It doesn't mean that you will be waitlisted. I have also heard that very few people get accepted after their interview and most get put on hold.

Good luck, Just trying to cast a little light on the situation.

exlawgrrl said:
I'm going to wait to see if I get in in May or what my spot on the waitlist is. If it's lower, I'm going to withdraw because I can't deal with the drama. The more I think about this, though, the more irritated I am because OHSU actually tells premeds that they don't accept as many instate applicants because we're not qualified, which is bs. Maybe they didn't like some soft factors in my application, but I am a qualified applicant as are lots of people on this thread who haven't been admitted yet. It just sucks to live in a state that doesn't care about instate applicants. :mad:

Yeah, I know the feeling. Don't pull out -- it's stressful to be jerked around, but they do it to everybody. You can handle it. At least you've heard something. No news here.

Also, check your PMs.

Congrats to all those who were accepted thus far! I've been "on hold" since the month after my interview back in December '05. The on-hold letter I received said that final decisions will be made after all have been interviewed and reviewed, and that the decisions can be made all the way up till early May. I know it's nerve-wracking, but just hold tight! I hope to hear some good news from OHSU too...

exlawgrrl said:

Yep, I totally agree. I mean my stats aren't perfect, but they would be competetive at most other state schools (if I were a resident of a different state). I wouldn't give up hope yet though, if I were you. A lot of people will get in in may. :luck:

It seems like there's been a lot more acceptances later in the season. There may be some advantage there. I interviewed way back in October and they told us more or less to expect the hold pile since they like to interview everyone before they make their decision.

TheMightyAngus said:
It seems like there's been a lot more acceptances later in the season. There may be some advantage there. I interviewed way back in October and they told us more or less to expect the hold pile since they like to interview everyone before they make their decision.

I wonder what they are doing to ensure that they are being consistent in their evaluation. Especially now that interviews are spanning over 7 months and the word on the street is that after your interview is evaluated, the score is set in stone. I do notice that the applicants that got in really early seemed much different than the ones accepted now (based on mdapplicants.... for whatever that is worth).

star22 said:
I wonder what they are doing to ensure that they are being consistent in their evaluation. Especially now that interviews are spanning over 7 months and the word on the street is that after your interview is evaluated, the score is set in stone. I do notice that the applicants that got in really early seemed much different than the ones accepted now (based on mdapplicants.... for whatever that is worth).

Yeah, I'm seeing that, too, which is why being put on hold so late seems ominous. They did tell us at our interview to expect the hold thing, though, so I'll see in May. The funny thing is that my letter was wrong -- it stated that interviews run from November through March, when they really run through April and I think start in October for this year. Maybe OHSU gave me a big hint by taking the full 12 weeks post-secondary to give me an interview letting me know that they just weren't too excited by my application.

star22 said:

What differences have you noticed?

OhtheSilliness said:
What differences have you noticed?

I am probably reading way too much into mdapplicants (which could all be made-up profiles for all I know), but the first few people accepted had stats way above average, tons of clinical exp., tons of amazing life experiences, etc. and now it seems like the people accepted are more in line with the median with more normal levels of experience..... who knows though.

star22 said:
I am probably reading way too much into mdapplicants (which could all be made-up profiles for all I know), but the first few people accepted had stats way above average, tons of clinical exp., tons of amazing life experiences, etc. and now it seems like the people accepted are more in line with the median with more normal levels of experience..... who knows though.

Isn't this to be expected? The people who are very qualified are likely to get accepted early because they are unlikely to be outdone by future applicants. Once all the stellar candidates have been accepted, the school will look for those who would be the average in their class. I'm just saying that this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

nmnrraven said:
Isn't this to be expected? The people who are very qualified are likely to get accepted early because they are unlikely to be outdone by future applicants. Once all the stellar candidates have been accepted, the school will look for those who would be the average in their class. I'm just saying that this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Well, that's to be expected once they start filling their class after interviews are done. What we're wondering is whether they're straight up accepting later interviewees with the same numbers as earlier interviews who were placed on hold. Is it easier to get a straight up acceptance before the post-interview ones that go out in May if you interview in March or April? Technically, they're supposed to treat all the applicants the same regardless of interview date and hold us to the same standards in determing the hold/accept status. However, by looking at mdapplicants, it appears that they're not doing that.

The big thing to remember is that interviews just stopped last week, and they're not admitting people off the hold list until all those late interviewees are evaluated.

Hey guys...just got my acceptance letter today, dated 4/12/06!!! I interviewed March 1st, and I'm OOS. I am definitely going to OHSU this Fall, and giving up my remaining acceptance at SLU. Good luck to everyone!!!

QuikClot said:
Yeah, I know the feeling. Don't pull out -- it's stressful to be jerked around, but they do it to everybody. You can handle it. At least you've heard something. No news here.

Also, check your PMs.

You heard anything yet? Yep, jerked around is a good way to describe it -- I'll see what May brings to me.

Congrats, nicholasblonde.

In response to the question that if OHSU accepts more applicants who interviewed late, I was told that they have a cut-off score. If you are above this score, you get in immediately. If not, you get on the waiting list. The cut-off score is based on their historical data. It sure doesn't seem fair to accept give out more immediate acceptance based on the timing of interview. Of course, I am not the admin, so I don't know if that is just a rumor or if it has bases. Just a little information I know.

Exlawgirl, I understand you frustration with OHSU. Just hand in there, your stats are great, and persistence will pay off. I have a friend who had gone through a really really tough road with OHSU in the application process(truse me on this), but now she is at the edge of seeing the bright light.

Congrats for those who are accepted already! I am excited to meet you in the fall on campus, if you decide to go to OHSU (my acceptance came on 1/1)! Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!!

Also, anyone receive any more information from OHSU post-acceptance? I received a package of some forms, and asked me if I wanted to be on the emailing list. And then nothing, not even a confirmation that the forms are received. It has been a couple months. Anyone heard anything else?

ifkt355 said:
In response to the question that if OHSU accepts more applicants who interviewed late, I was told that they have a cut-off score. If you are above this score, you get in immediately. If not, you get on the waiting list. The cut-off score is based on their historical data. It sure doesn't seem fair to accept give out more immediate acceptance based on the timing of interview. Of course, I am not the admin, so I don't know if that is just a rumor or if it has bases. Just a little information I know.

It would ideal if admissions worked this way. Unfortunately, the fact that OHSU outright tells interviewees that "they like to interview the majority of applicants before making decisions" indicates that they will purposefully limit the number of acceptances early in the season.

It would be more fair if OHSU adopted a system like Case, in which applicants in the hold pool are continually reviewed throughout the season along with the other interviewees. Let's say 10 acceptances are given at each committee meeting. Everyone who has interviewed would have an equal chance of being accepted. In this case, there might be a slight bias toward people who interview early because the interview pool is small. But it at least ensures consistency.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am an OOS who interviewed in mid-Feb. I am also on hold. I just have one comment from looking at the eight people who have gotten in on mdapplicants.com. Didn't they say on interview day that the interview carries the most weight, roughly 75-85%, in the admission commitee's final decision? This is impossible to extract from mdapps so don't let these stats drive you nuts. If 10% of interviewed applicants have been admitted thus far, then there are 42 other acceptances that we don't know anything about. So I guess the question is what intangibles are they looking for beyond stats because it is hard to get a read on who they are admitting? :(

swashbuckler said:
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am an OOS who interviewed in mid-Feb. I am also on hold. I just have one comment from looking at the eight people who have gotten in on mdapplicants.com. Didn't they say on interview day that the interview carries the most weight, roughly 75-85%, in the admission commitee's final decision? This is impossible to extract from mdapps so don't let these stats drive you nuts. If 10% of interviewed applicants have been admitted thus far, then there are 42 other acceptances that we don't know anything about. So I guess the question is what intangibles are they looking for beyond stats because it is hard to get a read on who they are admitting? :(

Yes, the interview is 75-80% of the equation, but how do they score the interview.... it seems highly subjective and how an interviewer perceives the people they are interviewing could change throughout the process. For example, the first few interview sessions were probably full of people that had really appealing applications but since it was so early, interviewers might be hesitant to give out really high scores without having seen a lot of other applicants yet. Then as they meet more and more applicants, they get a better idea of what the average applicant really is like and adjust their scoring accordingly. I just think if the same person interviewed early and late their interview score (80% of their overall score) could be dramatically different. I think it would be only natural for interview scores to gradually go up as the process progresses, but since the scores are "set in stone" after the interview, by the time May rolls around ranking the scores is going to be like comparing apples and oranges.

It seems like so many people have been accepted in the last couple of weeks which seems to support this (unless there is a reason (that I am missing) why there would be a disproportionate number of "good interviewers" interviewing march.)

ifkt355 said:

Exlawgirl, I understand you frustration with OHSU. Just hand in there, your stats are great, and persistence will pay off. I have a friend who had gone through a really really tough road with OHSU in the application process(truse me on this), but now she is at the edge of seeing the bright light.

Congrats for those who are accepted already! I am excited to meet you in the fall on campus, if you decide to go to OHSU (my acceptance came on 1/1)! Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!!

Also, anyone receive any more information from OHSU post-acceptance? I received a package of some forms, and asked me if I wanted to be on the emailing list. And then nothing, not even a confirmation that the forms are received. It has been a couple months. Anyone heard anything else?

What does this mean? Did she get in somewhere else?

star22 said:
Yes, the interview is 75-80% of the equation, but how do they score the interview.... it seems highly subjective and how an interviewer perceives the people they are interviewing could change throughout the process. For example, the first few interview sessions were probably full of people that had really appealing applications but since it was so early, interviewers might be hesitant to give out really high scores without having seen a lot of other applicants yet. Then as they meet more and more applicants, they get a better idea of what the average applicant really is like and adjust their scoring accordingly. I just think if the same person interviewed early and late their interview s?ng march.)

I agree, interview criteria is very subjective and could easily change over the course of the cycle. From reading robh's previous posts (thanks robh), it appears that they are interviewing most applicants later on in the cycle. Wouldn't this indicate that most people get in later if more are going to the committee at this phase of the cycle? I also think that a low number of early acceptances may help to identify those who are not serious about OHSU while keeping the acceptance rate low since most people who get early interviews are stellar applicants and are more likely to also get acceptances at prestigious schools elsewhere (see titoincali).

swashbuckler said:
I agree, interview criteria is very subjective and could easily change over the course of the cycle. From reading robh's previous posts (thanks robh), it appears that they are interviewing most applicants later on in the cycle. Wouldn't this indicate that most people get in later if more are going to the committee at this phase of the cycle? I also think that a low number of early acceptances may help to identify those who are not serious about OHSU while keeping the acceptance rate low since most people who get early interviews are stellar applicants and are more likely to also get acceptances at prestigious schools elsewhere (see titoincali).

My only concern is that if "stellar applicants" are put on hold early in the interview process, then equally stellar applicants should be put on hold late in the interview process--until they can all be compared together. Also, I am not sure if they are doing most of their interviews late. I think robh said they had already interview and evaluated half of the interviewees when he last posted.