Any news from OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Paiger Pie said:
Here is why I've been suggesting the afforementioned approach to P-town living. Portland is a city of unique, interesting, and varied neighborhoods, all of which should be entertained thoroughly before settling down with one. Now I know what you are thinking, we are going to be medical students next year, with very little time to do anything other than study, so why do I have to live anywhere but up on Marquam Hill? If that is your take on your first year in Portland, then please introduce yourself to me at orientation (I'll be the relatively old guy, big smile, bigger head, fond of hyperbole), because I'm really going to want to share notes with you. If however, you are currently entertaining any thoughts on venturing outside on say a friday night or a sunday morning, then you might want to take heed of my advice. Hawthorne (boutiques, hacky-sac, the Bagdhad Theater, and good food), Belmont (veggie restaraunts, Movie Madness, good Theaters (plays), better coffee), Division (up-and coming dining establishments), Mt. Tabor (only volcano within city limits in the continental US, hiking, go-cart races), Sellwood (old Portland, food, antiques, waterfront trails, amusement park), Brooklyn (families, close to the ( line into downtown, city views, concert venues), South Waterfront/Macadam(the soon-to-be tram, waterfront activites, small town feel), Multnomah Village ( even smaller town feel, close to OHSU, brew Pubs, convenient access to sundrie goods), Downtown (food, nightlife, pan-handling, live music, pioneer square at twilight, Park Blocks), NW 23/Alphabet Blocks/Snob Hill (shopping, hiking/adventure at forest park, close to zoo, IMO best restaraunts in town) The Pearl (yuppie-lofts, East-Village vibe, Powells Books, great food, First Thursdays, More Brew-Pubs), ... etc. This list merely scraped the surface regarding the superlatives used to describe but a fraction of Portlands neighborhoods. I've learned about them by getting in a car, driving to a new area, and getting lost on a Sunday afternoon. If I liked its vibe, I made sure to come back with my dog... I'd invite you to do the same (not with my dog though). So there are my 2 cents, and I can't wait to meet all of you when you get to Portland, whatever neighborhood you decide to settle down in.

Yep, I pretty much agree with this list, except for Brooklyn (it is just a small strip of neighborhood between several busy streets, but probably has good bus service). However, I would also add the Laurelhurst neighborhood (around NE 28th and Glisan, great restaurants and pubs), the Hollywood district in NE (a little more family oriented, but also has good restaurants, coffee shops, etc. and there is an express bus between Hollywood transit center and and OHSU). The only problem with this list is that if you are thinking of buying something these areas are probably prohibitively expensive for the average student (in which case I would check out Mississippi and Alberta neighborhoods) :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for all of you who gave your two-cents about housing and transportation in Portland!!

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, congratulations! I've got to admit that I'm still too absorbed in my self-pity and anger to offer the hugest congrats around.

You have a strong app. and at the end of the day they are going to snap you up. They are a weird bunch, to be sure, but they're not stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
QuikClot said:
You have a strong app. and at the end of the day they are going to snap you up. They are a weird bunch, to be sure, but they're not stupid.

Ahh, you're nice. We'll see how it goes. I'm sorry your acceptance came at a low point in the OHSU thread. :)

exlawgrrl said:
Ahh, you're nice. We'll see how it goes. I'm sorry your acceptance came at a low point in the OHSU thread. :)

No big, I shouldn't be so needy. I hope they get their **** together soon.

star22 said:
I thought you all would enjoy this (it was posted in a different thread):

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/april06/expansion.htm

It makes me wonder how OHSU can justify accepting any OOS students in lieu of qualified Oregonians.

Interesting. This is sort of the same stuff that struck me as weird at my interview. Is OHSU a state school or is it private? Their admissions policies (and really tuition) suggest that they're pretty much private, but they talk like they're a state school. It just seems sort of disingenuous to me. Oh yeah, also add the fact that they tell premeds that they don't accept as many Oregoanians because we're not sufficiently qualified makes me a bit cynical about anything they say.

I know they're in a hard place because the state really doesn't fund them well enough, but I'd like to see a bit more honesty. If they're really concerned about the physician shortage in Oregon, they would be committed to accepting more instate applicants.

Hi All,
I stumbled upon this thread on my way to another forum. I am a 4th year student at OHSU, and reading all your posts certainly reminds me of the angst I suffered applying to med school five long years ago (I did the MD/MPH track here)! For those of you still waiting to hear something, don't give up - I still remember getting my acceptance over the phone on May 14th! The admissions process at OHSU is woefully slow, but I'm happy to say that it gets MUCH better once you're a student here - the dean's office is incredibly supportive, and OHSU is a terrific place to go to school, with great success in the residency match (a very important factor that seemed really far off when I was in your shoes).

Good luck to you all! This is probably the most stressful period you'll ever go through (at least with regard to med school, residency, fellowship, etc). It all gets better from here.

Hey guys, I just called the school to see if they had reviewed my file (interviewed 4/5)...they told me they still have about 70 files that they haven't gotten to, including mine...

Just to let you all know...

ShambhalaRed said:
Hi All,
I stumbled upon this thread on my way to another forum. I am a 4th year student at OHSU, and reading all your posts certainly reminds me of the angst I suffered applying to med school five long years ago (I did the MD/MPH track here)! For those of you still waiting to hear something, don't give up - I still remember getting my acceptance over the phone on May 14th! The admissions process at OHSU is woefully slow, but I'm happy to say that it gets MUCH better once you're a student here - the dean's office is incredibly supportive, and OHSU is a terrific place to go to school, with great success in the residency match (a very important factor that seemed really far off when I was in your shoes).

Good luck to you all! This is probably the most stressful period you'll ever go through (at least with regard to med school, residency, fellowship, etc). It all gets better from here.

What do you think about OHSU's choice to limit the number of MD/MPH candidates to 6? At other schools, if you get accepted to MD, you are automatically accepted to MPH . . . I'm pretty bummed that I got into the MD program right away but I'm waitlisted for the MPH. Do you think it might be worth it to take a year "off" in the middle of med school to do the MPH separately? Would this be a very different experience than doing the MD/MPH program? What do you think?

ifkt355 said:
Hi, for those who have been accepted, have you got any idea where you will live? SW Portland, Beaverton, and etc? Anyone interested in car-pooling? The parking situation is pretty bad at OHSU, for first year med students, you can only car-pool with someone if you want to drive to campus. Thanks.

I'd be interested in a car pool. I'm going to be living west of Ladd's Addition, around SE 12th. How about you?

Cinnameg said:
I'd be interested in a car pool. I'm going to be living west of Ladd's Addition, around SE 12th. How about you?
Save the cash you'd have to spend on parking... take the Tri-met 14 line downtown, jump on the 8 and you are at OHSU. Difference in morning traffic will probably only be like ~10 min, while the money you save could be used to buy enough coffee to meet your P-Town quota. :laugh:

Cinnameg said:

You could also ride your bike from there... the hawthorne bridge is very bike friendly. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
star22 said:
You could also ride your bike from there... the hawthorne bridge is very bike friendly. :)
And in the process you could wail on your quads and glutes heading up Marquam Hill. :D

Since when did this thread become the thread that accepted students use to figure out where they are going to live this fall. I don't mean to be rude but I get a irritated when I check this thread for any news about where the admissions committee is at and all I see people talking about car pooling and being roommates. There is a perfectly good thread for all these discussions in the allopathic class threads section.

MDB0073 said:
Since when did this thread become the thread that accepted students use to figure out where they are going to live this fall. I don't mean to be rude but I get a irritated when I check this thread for any news about where the admissions committee is at and all I see people talking about car pooling and being roommates. There is a perfectly good thread for all these discussions in the allopathic class threads section.

I agree . . . I started an OHSU class of 2010 and there are all of 5 people using it.

MDB0073 said:

Since no one has any news, it is really the only way to kill time until May 15th :)

Oh, actually I heard the people on hold would hear something before May 15th!! But I assume that means the afternoon of May 14th :laugh:

star22 said:
Since no one has any news, it is really the only way to kill time until May 15th :)

Oh, actually I heard the people on hold would hear something before May 15th!! But I assume that means the afternoon of May 14th :laugh:

Man, you're probably right. Last year, people heard as early as May 11th. :rolleyes:

On a semi-serious note, does anybody know how many applications are reviewed in an adcom session? I'm guessing they meet once a week, and the post above mentioned that there was still 70 apps to be reviewed.

exlawgrrl said:
Man, you're probably right. Last year, people heard as early as May 11th. :rolleyes:

On a semi-serious note, does anybody know how many applications are reviewed in an adcom session? I'm guessing they meet once a week, and the post above mentioned that there was still 70 apps to be reviewed.

Sounds like they're behind. I was told by Debbie Milton that they review about 20/week. I'm forseeing some late nights for the admissions committee if they want to get 70 done in the next 2 weeks. And, I agree with the previous post about using the allopathic thread for accepted students. I'm not trying to be rude, but this thread is for people waiting to hear any news about the admissions process. Good luck to everyone.

MDB0073 said:

I had no idea our kind wasn't welcome here no mo'.

Thread drift is what it is. The housing buzz seems to have passed, anyway.

We're not ready to stop think of ourselves as pre-meds and start thinking of ourselves as allopathic. We haven't even started yet! Until everyone knows one way or the other, we're all pre-meds as far as I'm concerned.

MDB0073 said:
So sorry sir! I get easily distracted by shiny things. Won't happen again. I've already given myself a timeout as punishment, so please don't hit me! :scared:

while i agree that everyone is welcome to post here, including accepted students, mdbound does have a point in that the allopathic thread for the class of 2010 is the most appropriate place to discuss things like carpooling, etc. :)

okay, to talk about admissions stuff, is ohsu for sure going to have decisions out by may 15? my hold letter said "mid may," and knowing ohsu's problem with punctuality ( :rolleyes: ), i wouldn't be too surprised not to hear anything until a little later. has anybody gotten a definitive word from the admissions office?

I called a few days ago, and they said, "You WILL know by May 15." So here's hoping!

azanna said:
I called a few days ago, and they said, "You WILL know by May 15." So here's hoping!

They told me they will be mailing out the letters next week. :luck: :luck:

exlawgrrl said:
Good news -- thanks!

BTW, here's the link to the allopathic thread for all you lucky accepted people.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=263938

Thank you for putting in a link to the thread for accepted people! I started that thread and so far I've only gotten to talk to about 5 future classmates. Heck, I gotta kill time somehow. Post, people, post! :) Love you all!

Cinnameg said:
Thank you for putting in a link to the thread for accepted people! I started that thread and so far I've only gotten to talk to about 5 future classmates. Heck, I gotta kill time somehow. Post, people, post! :) Love you all!

I'm not sure how many more there are on SDN. MD Applicants shows only 9 accepted and only 4 or 5 of those appear to be headed to OHSU. I know not everyone on SDN has a profile but that's a pretty small number.

I promise I'll post if they ever admit me! :)

robh said:
I'm not sure how many more there are on SDN. MD Applicants shows only 9 accepted and only 4 or 5 of those appear to be headed to OHSU. I know not everyone on SDN has a profile but that's a pretty small number.

I promise I'll post if they ever admit me! :)

Urgent news from the admissions office: "The only thing i can tell you is, 'We have not taken anyone from the hold pool yet'."

This is what I got when I called them asking them for an update. They can't even tell me where I'm ranked so far with only a few people left to review. So bureaucratic and mindless. I'm gonna get stuck in a lease in Virginia now, that I'll have to pay 400 bucks to sublet if I get into OHSU because I'm completely in the dark as to my status there. If I don't do that, I'll be screwed with a crappy place to live if I have to go to U. Virginia. I just don't get OHSU. I've heard so many good things about the rest of their school, but they have the worst admissions office in the entire country, hands down.

Dr. Weebs said:
Urgent news from the admissions office: "The only thing i can tell you is, 'We have not taken anyone from the hold pool yet'."

This is what I got when I called them asking them for an update. They can't even tell me where I'm ranked so far with only a few people left to review. So bureaucratic and mindless. I'm gonna get stuck in a lease in Virginia now, that I'll have to pay 400 bucks to sublet if I get into OHSU because I'm completely in the dark as to my status there. If I don't do that, I'll be screwed with a crappy place to live if I have to go to U. Virginia. I just don't get OHSU. I've heard so many good things about the rest of their school, but they have the worst admissions office in the entire country, hands down.

+pity+ Boo hoo hoo +pity+ The admissions people are being thorough with the applications. That's a good thing, my man....

Don't sweat it. $400 is no big deal.

Thanks for your update on where they're at with the process. There are a lot of us out here that are in your same shoes. Good luck!!

mobiusbaldwin said:
+pity+ Boo hoo hoo +pity+ The admissions people are being thorough with the applications. That's a good thing, my man....

Thanks for your update on where they're at with the process. There are a lot of us out here that are in your same shoes. Good luck!!

Well, you can make fun all you like... and I appreciate you trying to bring humor to the situation, but I don't really find it that funny. When you look at it logically, OHSU's admissions office sucks, period. OHSU breaks the AAMC rules every single year. Each school is supposed to have given out acceptances equal to the number of their class roster by March 15th. They are also one of the schools who has the early deadline of October 15th for applications, giving them more time than most schools have to take care of that. They interview less people than most schools (apparently only 400 this year), and yet they are the LAST ones done. Colorado uses a very similar method of selecting students (not accepting many as they go, and a lot at the end after reviewing everyone) and they were done long ago. It is not that they are being "thorough", but more that they are slow. You can't tell me that every other admissions office in the country is unthorugh... they are just efficient. The real thing that bothers me here, is that OHSU is not conscientious of the applicants' situations, and how waiting until the very last minute can complicate their lives. There is absolutely no effort to improve thiis part of their admissions process. The reason I feel that this complaint is valid is that almost every other school manages to be conscientious of us as applicants, and get things done in a timely manner, with more applicants, more interviewees, and with a later applicant deadline. And yea, in the end it's only 400 bucks, but right now I have to work an entire week full time to make 400 bucks. I will just be very very glad when I never have to deal with the admissions office ever again.

mobiusbaldwin said:

Normally, I would agree. However a lot of us interviewed six (or more) months ago and 400 interviewees is not many compared to most schools, so the wait seems a little unnecessary.

mobiusbaldwin said:

They could be just as thorough and have everything done a month earlier. They only interview 400-500 people. Weebs is right. The glacial pace is costly. In my case, I will have to give up a spot at my 2nd choice school, which starts on July 10, so that I can wait for an acceptance from OHSU that might never come. That is not a minor inconvenience. If OHSU doesn't come through for me, I'll have nothing, or I can give up on OHSU and move my family of four to Ohio, where we will need to find a new job for my wife, new schools for my 2 boys, a new house, etc. Let's see: realtor fees will be about $24,000, moving will be about $6000, assume 3 months lost income for my wife at $20,000, that totals to $50,000. That kinda sucks don't you think? Oh well boo hoo to me...

robh said:
They could be just as thorough and have everything done a month earlier. They only interview 400-500 people. Weebs is right. The glacial pace is costly. In my case, I will have to give up a spot at my 2nd choice school, which starts on July 10, so that I can wait for an acceptance from OHSU that might never come. That is not a minor inconvenience. If OHSU doesn't come through for me, I'll have nothing, or I can give up on OHSU and move my family of four to Ohio, where we will need to find a new job for my wife, new schools for my 2 boys, a new house, etc. Let's see: realtor fees will be about $24,000, moving will be about $6000, assume 3 months lost income for my wife at $20,000, that totals to $50,000. That kinda sucks don't you think? Oh well boo hoo to me...

I think this stuff is especially troublesome since OHSU supposedly likes non-trad students. As robh is showing above, it's harder for non-trads to deal with this last-minute bs. When I was 22, moving involved finding an apartment the month before, loading some stuff into my car and heading out. Now it's a little more complicated. Weebs is dead-on in his statement that OHSU could do a thorough job and get it all done sooner -- Colorado is a great example, as is Washington.

Are you for sure giving up your spot at Case, rob? That's just so wrong.

robh said:

Wait...Are you serious? You're giving up Case to wait for OHSU? Case is a quality school. I don't think you should let OHSU's inefficiency ruin your dreams of becoming a doctor. There is no guarantee that you'll get into OHSU, so if I were you, I would go to Case. I'm in the on hold pool too, but I'm being honest here and not because I want you to give up your spot in the OHSU on hold pool.

robh said:

Yo Robh, I'm pullin' for you (and everyone else that is waiting). Movin' the family to Ohio is a big deal requires some serious planning. But I wouldn't give up the Case acceptance just yet, at least until the waitlist numbers come out. I'll shut up now... :luck:

robh said:

Gosh man... I'm so sorry to hear that. That is awful. I'm going through the same stuff with my fiancee. She's freaking out about finding a good job in a little town like Charlottesville, and the cost of moving etc. I feel for you. If I were you, I would wait until May 15th if you can! If you can't, call Debbie Milton, the Admissions Director and tell her your situation. She might be able to tell you where you are on the list right now if she feels for your situation. Might be worth a shot. I really hope you get into OHSU so you don't have to move your family. Good luck to you.

Hassler said:
Wait...Are you serious? You're giving up Case to wait for OHSU? Case is a quality school. I don't think you should let OHSU's inefficiency ruin your dreams of becoming a doctor. There is no guarantee that you'll get into OHSU, so if I were you, I would go to Case. I'm in the on hold pool too, but I'm being honest here and not because I want you to give up your spot in the OHSU on hold pool.

You are correct on all counts. Case is a great school. It is my favorite school too, but the difficulties associated with moving my family are significant. My wife has a job she loves. I am fourth generation in this state. My family moved here in the 1870's, so all my family and support network is here, as is my wife's. My kid's friends are here. Their school is here. I could go on and on. I love Case Med, but Oregon is my home.

A lot depends on where I am on the OHSU waitlist. If I end up high on the waitlist, I'll probably let Case go and bet everything on OHSU. If I am low on the waitlist, I'll probably just go to Case. The difficulty I am facing is that I STILL don't know where I am on the waitlist because OHSU is so slow with their admissions process. As it is, I will need to make a snap decision as soon as the list comes out based solely on what I think will happen. I simply cannot wait to see what OHSU will do. Realistically, I need to be in Cleveland in about 6 or 8 weeks so that we have time to settle in and find somewhere to live. I'm still two weeks out from knowing my PROSPECTS at OHSU. I probably won't hear the final word until after Case starts classes. The situation really sucks, but what can I do?

I do want to say that the admissions office has been very sympathetic to my situation, even if sympathy is all I got from them. Apparently they don't assemble a ranked list until after the committee's final meeting so they cannot tell me where I rank, but they did tell me that my admissions score is strong and I have a good chance. That's not much but it's something. This is their process. I think it should change. Even finishing a month earlier and publishing the waitlist at that time would make a huge difference for people like me, but I don't think they are heartless. At least OHSU will tell you exactly where you are on the list once it does come out and what number they are up to in the admissions process. A lot of schools won't do that. It's a mixed bag. My personal situation makes it an especially hard road.

I hear what you are saying about Case though. I am seriously thinking about defering a year at Case. I could really use the time to relocate sensibly, and it would give me an opportunity to wait out OHSU to the bitter end. Then, if OHSU doesn't admit me, I can still go to Case next year. It's a tough pill to swallow but I don't see an alternative. If I didn't have a family, I'd already be in Cleveland...

Robh I have talked to u couple of times by PM and sympathize will ur plight. I do have to say that if you defer your acceptance at Case I believe that would be locked into attending there. I dont believe you could accept OHSU later in the admisisons cycle like July. It would be like you already started at Case and ur name withdrawn from OHSU byt AMCAS....

I dont pretend to be in your situation by mine is not good either. I am in at NYMC but UC is my dream school where I am currently WL like you. My lease runs out in June and I need to move out (NC). Do I get a place in NY and just forget about Cinci? I cant imagine getting a place in NY in june just to break lease/contract and lose all that money if I get into UC, but I have no place to live. On top of that I have a fiance who needs to find a job and needs to know where we are going. If she finds a job in NY I cant make her give it up and quit one day after starting. Cinci doesnt tell people until June if they do get off the WL so I am in a pickle myself. Sorry to hijack the OHSU thread... :oops: But there are many people in similiar situations ar urself and it sucks.

BOBODR said:
Robh I have talked to u couple of times by PM and sympathize will ur plight. I do have to say that if you defer your acceptance at Case I believe that would be locked into attending there. I dont believe you could accept OHSU later in the admisisons cycle like July. It would be like you already started at Case and ur name withdrawn from OHSU byt AMCAS....

This is an issue that I am in the process of sorting out. I can't see why it should lock me in. At least it doesn't make sense that it should. Case obviously would like to have me, and they are willing to have me come next year. If I decide not to go next year because OHSU admits me, it is of little consequence to them. They will simply fill my spot with another student from their 2007 application cycle. It seems to me that is preferrable to having me tell them on July 7, that I am going to OHSU instead, which realistically might happen. Then they might have a difficult time filling my seat in the class.

I'm pretty much locked in now though. I've given up all my other admits. I'm only holding Case. If I can't defer at Case without giving up OHSU, I'll press on and hope to hear from OHSU before July 10. If I don't, I'll either drop Case and pray that I get into OHSU or just go to Case, in which case I'll probably have to live out of my car for a couple weeks, and bring the family when I'm able.

Okay, enough of me whining! I'm sick of it and I'm sure everyone else is too! Good luck with Cinci. :thumbup:

robh said:
I do want to say that the admissions office has been very sympathetic to my situation, even if sympathy is all I got from them. Apparently they don't assemble a ranked list until after the committee's final meeting so they cannot tell me where I rank, but they did tell me that my admissions score is strong and I have a good chance. That's not much but it's something...

I wouldn't worry if I were you. It seems like they are so hesisant to give out any info, so for them to tell you that much is a really good sign (at least I think so) :)
Did they say how they assemble the ranked list? Since we all have a numerical score it seems like it should have been ranked all along. :luck:

Did anyone hear for sure how many people they ended up interviewing? Dr. Weebs mentioned 400 and robh had said (a few months ago) 475-500. Did a lot of people cancel or something?

star22 said:
Did anyone hear for sure how many people they ended up interviewing? Mr. Weebs mentioned 400 and robh had said (a few months ago) 475-500. Did a lot of people cancel or something?

I've been talking periodically with Debbie Milton, the Admissions Committee Director/Liaison, and she told me a month ago that their estimate was a little over 400 people would be interviewed. I talked to her yesterday (instead of the random office secretary who can only tell me the exact same thing everytime), and she said that they will begin mailing out letters tomorrow with final decisions. They won't mail them all out though. They will continue to mail out letters until next Thursday. So, we should all have something in the mail by the 15th. Some will have something earlier. I'm guessing that acceptances will slowly start to move off the hold pool starting tomorrow, and the last people to get letters will be waitlisters. Good luck to everyone.

star22 said:
Did they say how they assemble the ranked list? Since we all have a numerical score it seems like it should have been ranked all along. :luck:

No they didn't say how they did it. It is based on our admission score. I suspect that they do in fact have a ranked list all along, but they will not tell you where you are on it until the list is finally complete. I'm guessing their reasoning is that any number they tell you will change the following week and not likely for the better, as other applicants fill the list above you. To avoid the inevitable: "but you told me last week...!", they just won't tell you. Having several hundred applicants calling weekly to find their current status would drive everyone nuts. I don't blame them for being tight lipped until the list is stable.

You asked about how many were interviewed. I haven't heard anything since I last posted concerning that but I did do a quick survey of MD applicants.

At OHSU:

interviewed: 41
rejected post interview: 0
withdrew post interview or declined interview: 12
In the hold pool: 20
Accepted: 9 (22% of those interviewed)
Accepted and plan to attend: 4 or 5 (not sure about one)
Accepted and withdrew: 4 or 5 (~50% of those accepted outright)

Assuming that MD applicants is a statistically valid sampling, which it probably isn't, you might draw the conclusion that about 60 of the first 120 admits will eventually withdraw, leading to 60 people being pulled from the waitlist. The probabilities will certainly change at this point but if it continues at 50% withdrawal rate, that would ultimately result in OHSU going to nearly 120 on the waitlist. As I say, the probabilities will change because candidates who remain on the waitlist are more likely to actually want to attend OHSU and probably on average have fewer choices because they are marginally poorer candidates than the folks at the top. So roughly speaking, I think we can expect that positions 60 and above on the waitlist are almost certain to get in, and positions 120 and below are almost certain to not get in. But remember there are lies, damn lies, and statistics...

[disclaimer: This lame analysis is mine and I did NOT get any of this from admissions. Use at your own risk!]

BOBODR said:

I dont pretend to be in your situation by mine is not good either. I am in at NYMC but UC is my dream school where I am currently WL like you. My lease runs out in June and I need to move out (NC). Do I get a place in NY and just forget about Cinci? I cant imagine getting a place in NY in june just to break lease/contract and lose all that money if I get into UC, but I have no place to live. On top of that I have a fiance who needs to find a job and needs to know where we are going. If she finds a job in NY I cant make her give it up and quit one day after starting. Cinci doesnt tell people until June if they do get off the WL so I am in a pickle myself. Sorry to hijack the OHSU thread... :oops: But there are many people in similiar situations ar urself and it sucks.

It's nice to hear that other people have awful lease situations like me. I'm jealous of the younger applicants who can graduate college and just go home and wait all summer at home for a response. People out of school for a couple years have jobs to give notice at, apartments with leases to renew. I finally decided to renew my lease for a year here in new york to gain some control in this situation. If I do end up getting in, I guess I'll just have to move to oregon and sublet my apartment here. I figure that's a better choice than subletting here all summer while I wait for a waitlist reponse and then having to get an apartment that will be MORE expensive if I end up rejected. Okay, venting over, let us know if you get letters people!

Dr. Weebs said:
I've been talking periodically with Debbie Milton, the Admissions Committee Director/Liaison, and she told me a month ago that their estimate was a little over 400 people would be interviewed. I talked to her yesterday (instead of the random office secretary who can only tell me the exact same thing everytime), and she said that they will begin mailing out letters tomorrow with final decisions. They won't mail them all out though. They will continue to mail out letters until next Thursday. So, we should all have something in the mail by the 15th. Some will have something earlier. I'm guessing that acceptances will slowly start to move off the hold pool starting tomorrow, and the last people to get letters will be waitlisters. Good luck to everyone.

That is good to hear. Will everyone either get accepted or ranked on the waitlist? I was looking at an old thread where a lot of people got rejected from the hold list around May 15th, but it sounds like there might be a lot fewer people interviewing this year.

Okay, now I'm nervous. If they're sending in rank order, I'm thinking I'm going to hear last. :( Yeah, they did reject some people around this time last year, which is a depressing thought.

exlawgrrl said:
Okay, now I'm nervous. If they're sending in rank order, I'm thinking I'm going to hear last. :( Yeah, they did reject some people around this time last year, which is a depressing thought.

What?!? I saw your profile and I guarantee you are not last on the list! :)

exlawgirl...I can't believe they didn't accept you already...you have great stats...the only explanation I could think of is that you are accepted at several other institutions (including your state-funded, cheaper medical school)...they might be thinking "why would she go here for 56K/year when she could go to OSU or U of Oklahoma for waaaayyyyy less per year." At least, that's what I would be thinking if I were on OHSU's adcom.

PS> If you haven't sent a LOI, faxing them a LOI right now might be a good idea.

nicholasblonde said:
PS> If you haven't sent a LOI, faxing them a LOI right now might be a good idea.

I highly doubt a LOI will do any good for this school. I was told that my score is set in stone, period. If I want my numerical score to change, I have to specially request, with reasons stated, for my file to be re-opened, and re-examined in a committee meeting all over again. Otherwise, they will never look at your file again once you've been reviewed initially.

Process: Interview -> AdCom Review -> Numerical Score -> File never looked at again, unless specially requested. = LOI is worthless.

Couldn't hurt, except that it's a waste of paper and stamps.

Lawgrrl, I'm sharing your same sentiments. I'm afraid I will be really low on the waitlist. Their loss.