Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed witha woman like you fugm, I didn't know there were two interviewers.

She was pretty hard to read, didn't get much reactions from her, but maybe i just bombed it :thumbdown:, who knows.

I wonder if I saw any of you guys at around 11-12

So did the male interviewer tell you guys 2-3 weeks? I couldn't get a concrete answer from my interviewer.

Members don't see this ad.

really? her name was daniela or something similar. anyway, I thought we resonated well...but we'll see...I interviewed at 940, but was there till almost 11

I thought the 2 questions that my interviewer asked were not what I expected, but other than that, the interview wasn't bad at all. He asked me about 10 questions before I had a chance to ask him questions in the end. Were there two interviewers at the hotel? I thought I saw a couple of guys wearing suits standing in front of another room on the other side of the floor (still on the same floor though). Oh ok, 2-3 weeks isn't that bad. Hopefully we will hear something before Christmas. :xf:

I have an interview with them this friday. Do you have any advice? This will be my first interview so I am nervous. How did you prepare. Any help would be appreciated.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
really? her name was daniela or something similar. anyway, I thought we resonated well...but we'll see...I interviewed at 940, but was there till almost 11

Hey, i think i met you then? Were you the guy from MO? We talked after u were done writing your essay?

Hey, i think i met you then? Were you the guy from MO? We talked after u were done writing your essay?

yup, that was me. how'd your interview go?

I have an interview with them this friday. Do you have any advice? This will be my first interview so I am nervous. How did you prepare. Any help would be appreciated.:)

I don't know if you just had an interview earlier this morning, but I'd say review the questions from interview feedback and I thought that some questions were kind of made up from the top of the interviewer's head, although he had another sheet of paper (probably it had a list of questions on there). Honestly, if you're prepared for the typical interview questions (why Hilo, stuff about your school work, etc.) and know stuff about yourself, then you're set. I thought it seemed kind of laidback. My interviewer wore a Hawaiian shirt, so I was a bit more at ease. :laugh: Good luck to you on your first interview! :luck:

Hmm, you had Dr. Gundisch. She's a really nice lady, but I would say hard to read as far as if it went well or not. She's from Germany and has a bit of an accent, did you find her hard to understand at all? Overall she would probably be an interviewer you want to get, some of the male professors would be more intimidating in my opinion.

Hmm, you had Dr. Gundisch. She's a really nice lady, but I would say hard to read as far as if it went well or not. She's from Germany and has a bit of an accent, did you find her hard to understand at all? Overall she would probably be an interviewer you want to get, some of the male professors would be more intimidating in my opinion.

I had Dr. Fisher and thought he was nice too. :)

I had Dr. Fisher and thought he was nice too. :)

Same here. I really liked him. Very nice guy. I interviewed this morning and just like you there were questions not on the page.

Hopefully we will know our status before Christmas. I think I remember seeing some people report the found out a day or two before Christmas last year. He did say we should know by the end of the month.

She had an accent, but it wasn't too bad. I agree, I'm thankful I had her as women seem to be less intimidating....to me

Same here. I really liked him. Very nice guy. I interviewed this morning and just like you there were questions not on the page.

Hopefully we will know our status before Christmas. I think I remember seeing some people report the found out a day or two before Christmas last year. He did say we should know by the end of the month.

So, I'm assuming you had just finished gambling after your early morning interview, or you're heading to the tables right now after making this post on the thread? :D Did you guys feel the earthquake last night or this morning? Although the epicenter was in the Mojave Desert area, I heard people in the Vegas felt it too.

So, I'm assuming you had just finished gambling after your early morning interview, or you're heading to the tables right now after making this post on the thread? :D Did you guys feel the earthquake last night or this morning? Although the epicenter was in the Mojave Desert area, I heard people in the Vegas felt it too.

I did not feel it. I did hear about it on tv while I was getting ready.

No gambling for me this time. I wanted to, but I decided it would be better spent on a Nintendo Wii.

Almost home now. I'm waiting to push from my connecting flight. Long day, but I'll be home in One hour flight, 30 mind at baggage claim and parking lot shuttle, then just the 90 minute drive home. Good luck to us all!

So there was no essay or written portion of the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
So there was no essay or written portion of the interview?

there was, as it suggests in the email from Hilo. it wasn't difficult, so don't worry.

yup, that was me. how'd your interview go?

It was ok, like everybody said kind of hard to read her. Also, her questions were pretty long, like she would set up her question a lot and as she was talking i would be trying to think of the answer but then the question kind of changed after she kept explaining it haha.

How you enjoying the rest of your weekend in vegas?

Good luck everybody, hope we'll be getting Hawaiian christmas gifts

I had this interviewer as well...she was really nice. She has an accent but I was perfectly able to understand her. I felt like the interview went well. even now thinking back on it, I still can't think of anything that I would really have changed. I really hope I get in! It would be awesome to attend UH and live in Hawaii for 4 years!!

I don't know if you just had an interview earlier this morning, but I'd say review the questions from interview feedback and I thought that some questions were kind of made up from the top of the interviewer's head, although he had another sheet of paper (probably it had a list of questions on there). Honestly, if you're prepared for the typical interview questions (why Hilo, stuff about your school work, etc.) and know stuff about yourself, then you're set. I thought it seemed kind of laidback. My interviewer wore a Hawaiian shirt, so I was a bit more at ease. :laugh: Good luck to you on your first interview! :luck:

Thanks for the tips. I have the interview this coming up Friday in Hilo.

Thanks for the tips. I have the interview this coming up Friday in Hilo.

Oh yea, duh, for some reason I thought Saturday was Friday. So you're going to have an interview in Hilo then?

Oh yea, duh, for some reason I thought Saturday was Friday. So you're going to have an interview in Hilo then?

Yeah. I want to see what the school looks like and I have never been to Hawaii so I figure I would stay a couple days.

It was ok, like everybody said kind of hard to read her. Also, her questions were pretty long, like she would set up her question a lot and as she was talking i would be trying to think of the answer but then the question kind of changed after she kept explaining it haha.

How you enjoying the rest of your weekend in vegas?

Good luck everybody, hope we'll be getting Hawaiian christmas gifts

vegas has been good, except all the cowboys. what the ****? anyway, im leaving today. good luck on your finals

vegas has been good, except all the cowboys. what the ****? anyway, im leaving today. good luck on your finals

The cowboys are there for the National Finals Rodeo. Its the Super Bowl of rodeo.

Yeah. I want to see what the school looks like and I have never been to Hawaii so I figure I would stay a couple days.

Too bad I'm busy with finals this week. Seriously, if I have to spend $800 on airfare to Hawaii, I would want to stay there for a week. Well, I haven't been to Hawaii before, so let me know how it's like over there once you get back from your interview. :D

The cowboys are there for the National Finals Rodeo. Its the Super Bowl of rodeo.

It was a REALLY weird weekend to be in Vegas. There were a crapload of cowboys for the NFR, a ton of people there for the Marathon on Sunday (dressed up in their tight little running shorts the day before, walking around like they were the new style), and then us interviewees. :) I've seen weirder things in Vegas, but the mix this weekend caught me by surprise. Ah well... it's all good.

Too bad I'm busy with finals this week. Seriously, if I have to spend $800 on airfare to Hawaii, I would want to stay there for a week. Well, I haven't been to Hawaii before, so let me know how it's like over there once you get back from your interview. :D

The airfare wasn't that expensive but almost. It cost me about $540. I wish I could stay longer but I have to take a math final on Monday and then go to Chicago for an interview. I will definitely let you know what Hawaii is like.

The airfare wasn't that expensive but almost. It cost me about $540. I wish I could stay longer but I have to take a math final on Monday and then go to Chicago for an interview. I will definitely let you know what Hawaii is like.

Good luck to you on your two interviews! Wow, you're going to go through the extreme transition from cold to hot weather this week! I bet it's snowing in Chicago right now. Hawaii should be warmer than Cali I think.

I spoke with Liz today and asked her when we should know our status. She said that she wishes she could tell every student we would hear back from them in 2-3 weeks, but that is not always the case.

She did go over the fact that they are a rolling admissions school and it could be months before hearing from them.

They will be emailing offers of admission this year.

Take what you want from this, but to me it sounds like if you are going to be accepted immediately following this early round of interviews, you will know so rather quickly. If you don't receive an email from them before the end of this year, then it sounds like you will either be waitlisted or declined admission. You will not immediately know if you are waitlisted because they will not put an official waitlist together for a while.

Take what you want from this, but to me it sounds like if you are going to be accepted immediately following this early round of interviews, you will know so rather quickly. If you don't receive an email from them before the end of this year, then it sounds like you will either be waitlisted or declined admission. You will not immediately know if you are waitlisted because they will not put an official waitlist together for a while.

Yea, I think your reasoning makes absolute sense. Just hope that we all receive great news in time for Christmas because we won't hear anything from them for 2 weeks since I assume their office will be closed for the holiday break. :luck::xf:

Yea, I think your reasoning makes absolute sense. Just hope that we all receive great news in time for Christmas because we won't hear anything from them for 2 weeks since I assume their office will be closed for the holiday break. :luck::xf:

I'm about tired of waiting. Hopefully the first group of interviewers will hear something around Xmas.

I'm about tired of waiting. Hopefully the first group of interviewers will hear something around Xmas.

In that case, we would have to know sometimes by late next week. All I ask for Christmas is to get accepted to somewhere this year!

In that case, we would have to know sometimes by late next week. All I ask for Christmas is to get accepted to somewhere this year!

I want to have a new favorite Christmas song...

Mele Kalikimaka

My interview is done and I'm relieved. It was not TOO stressful but I was nervous. I had a really nice guy named Ken Morris who has a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics. :thumbup:

I spoke with Liz today and asked her when we should know our status. She said that she wishes she could tell every student we would hear back from them in 2-3 weeks, but that is not always the case.

She did go over the fact that they are a rolling admissions school and it could be months before hearing from them.

They will be emailing offers of admission this year.

I spoke to Liz during the campus tour and she told me the adcom meets every week. I don't know if that means they make a decision every week or not. But I'm going to check my email tomorrow and next week!

I spoke to Liz during the campus tour and she told me the adcom meets every week. I don't know if that means they make a decision every week or not. But I'm going to check my email tomorrow and next week!

I know that they reviewed my app and invited me for an interview on the same day on a Monday. I'm thinking that they're going to review our apps in batches, so we're in the first batch. Hopefully they review our apps this Monday and then we can hopefully receive good news sometimes early next week. Since they have rolling admissions, they must accept a certain number of applicants from the first batch before the second batch of applicants get interviewed right? (just a speculation here :idea:) What are the dates for the January interviews?

So I'm scheduled to interview at Las Vegas on Jan. 22, 2009. However, I just received an invite from MIdwestern Glendale for the exact same date (Jan. 22, 2009). Ahhh....So I'm planning to reschedule the UH HIlo interview to another date in Las Vegas. However, I think there are only slots opened for FEb. instead. So should I schedule for those or pick the ones in Jan. for the Hilo location instead??? Since they're on a rolling admissions, should I go interview as soon as possible and not care about the cost flying to Hilo??? I'm from California by the way. Any insights please?? Thank you.

P.S. For cinnamoroll12, Jan interviews are: Jan 21, 22, 23, 24, 2009 (Las Vegas).

So I'm scheduled to interview at Las Vegas on Jan. 22, 2009. However, I just received an invite from MIdwestern Glendale for the exact same date (Jan. 22, 2009). Ahhh....So I'm planning to reschedule the UH HIlo interview to another date in Las Vegas. However, I think there are only slots opened for FEb. instead. So should I schedule for those or pick the ones in Jan. for the Hilo location instead??? Since they're on a rolling admissions, should I go interview as soon as possible and not care about the cost flying to Hilo??? I'm from California by the way. Any insights please?? Thank you.

P.S. For cinnamoroll12, Jan interviews are: Jan 21, 22, 23, 24, 2009 (Las Vegas).

I would ask them if they can reschedule to another day in Vegas first. If they say it isn't possible, then reschedule to either Hawaii or later dates depending on your availability/needs/etc.

Don't they have interviews in LA as well?

Jammerdez1, thanks for the advice. I just emailed them. Hopefully, it'll work out.

cinnamoroll12, yes, they do. However, it's very limited and they're all full by the time I sent in my request.

Jammerdez1, thanks for the advice. I just emailed them. Hopefully, it'll work out.

cinnamoroll12, yes, they do. However, it's very limited and they're all full by the time I sent in my request.

Yea, hopefully your Las Vegas one works out. Do they offer interviews in Orlando this time (they did in Dec)? Or is it just LV, LA, and Hilo? Since they offer so many dates for the January ones, then I think it's better to do it in January because if you pick the February date, you will have to compete with lots of January interviewees. I personally would take the January one, especially if I haven't gotten accepted to a school yet or if UH-Hilo is my first choice. If money is the issue, then I would have to try my very best to nail the interview in February.

Yea, hopefully your Las Vegas one works out. Do they offer interviews in Orlando this time (they did in Dec)? Or is it just LV, LA, and Hilo? Since they offer so many dates for the January ones, then I think it's better to do it in January because if you pick the February date, you will have to compete with lots of January interviewees. I personally would take the January one, especially if I haven't gotten accepted to a school yet or if UH-Hilo is my first choice. If money is the issue, then I would have to try my very best to nail the interview in February.

No, there were no interview offers in Orland this time. Yea, I'm very worried that I won't get the January interview. I have sent in another request saying that if there are no more open slots for Jan interviews in LV, then I would pick the Jan. interviews in Hilo, HI. At first, I was afraid of the flight being too expensive. However, I just looked it up and it's about 300 to 400 bucks... not bad. I need to get interviewed as soon as possible. lol.. cuz I haven't gotten any acceptance yet. I have my very first interview tomorrow (12/13) at UACP (in Virginia). I'm extremely nervous! I think I need some alcohol. haha

I have my very first interview tomorrow (12/13) at UACP (in Virginia). I'm extremely nervous! I think I need some alcohol. haha
yup, alcohol = confidence.

No, there were no interview offers in Orland this time. Yea, I'm very worried that I won't get the January interview. I have sent in another request saying that if there are no more open slots for Jan interviews in LV, then I would pick the Jan. interviews in Hilo, HI. At first, I was afraid of the flight being too expensive. However, I just looked it up and it's about 300 to 400 bucks... not bad. I need to get interviewed as soon as possible. lol.. cuz I haven't gotten any acceptance yet. I have my very first interview tomorrow (12/13) at UACP (in Virginia). I'm extremely nervous! I think I need some alcohol. haha

Yea, $300-400 isn't bad at all! Is that from LAX? One time I checked it was close to $800 from John Wayne. For the past interviews, I paid at least $300 for airfares to the Midwest. Well, good luck to you on your interview tomorrow! :luck:

Yea, $300-400 isn't bad at all! Is that from LAX? One time I checked it was close to $800 from John Wayne. For the past interviews, I paid at least $300 for airfares to the Midwest. Well, good luck to you on your interview tomorrow! :luck:

the sooner the better. I had to wait one day to confirm my interview date before I could book my flight and it went up 60 bucks in day.

hey everyone, congrats on your invitation for an interview, i just got one myself, i am completly shocked!!!, i wasn't even expecting it, it totally caught me offgard, i am from Newyork and i am still debating if i should choose the LV or HIlo interview locations. i might go to the one at Hilo just to see the school and how it is.. anyway, congrats everyone.

I had my interview yesterday. I think it went well. The campus is nice and so is the faculty. Hilo is like a small town kind of but it is BEAUTIFUL! Another girl from the interview and I went up to see a volcano at night. It is only about 30 miles from Hilo. It was pretty awesome. There is no white sandy beaches on this side of the island. That is about 2 hours away. There are rocky beaches here. I am still here but I am leaving tonight sadly. I love it here but everything is expensive. I kind of expected that though since it is Hawaii.

I had my interview yesterday. I think it went well. The campus is nice and so is the faculty. Hilo is like a small town kind of but it is BEAUTIFUL! Another girl from the interview and I went up to see a volcano at night. It is only about 30 miles from Hilo. It was pretty awesome. There is no white sandy beaches on this side of the island. That is about 2 hours away. There are rocky beaches here. I am still here but I am leaving tonight sadly. I love it here but everything is expensive. I kind of expected that though since it is Hawaii.
I live off subways' $5 footlongs...Never get old, somewhat healthy, and cheap. Grocery shopping isn't too bad either, only produce and other grown foods are expensive. Also if you have a vehicle, taking a trip to Kona is nice for beaches and they have a Costco. You can find amazing deals there if you buy in bulk, which is what I do since its a bit of a drive.

Hey Prepharm1214, do you know the estimated monthly cost of rent for 1 person in Hilo?

Is not having a car throughout the four years possible in Hilo? Or is it necessary as means to get around? How about the transportation system over there?

Oh yea, good question! Haven't thought about transportation. I wonder if there are any Barnes and Noble, Borders, or Starbucks around school or along the shores. That'll be nice. haha... Probably not..

Oh yea, good question! Haven't thought about transportation. I wonder if there are any Barnes and Noble, Borders, or Starbucks around school or along the shores. That'll be nice. haha... Probably not..

I know transportation issue will be very important when we do our IPPEs and APPEs.

from what i heard, housing is expensive in Hawaii but rent is cheap. From my visit to Hilo last week, there wasn't alot of sidewalks and I barely saw any buses. So I would assume having a car is beneficial. But gas in Hawaii was pretty expensive, 2.60 for plus when i was there. Here, it was only 1.80. The cost of living is definitely high in Hawaii. Add to it, being an out-of-state student doesn't help. Last week, I spent aroud $800 for my 2 day stay in Hawaii.