Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because a large portion of that island is dried lava. A good majority of the so called beaches are coral and rock. There are even "Watch out for flowing lava" signs. There are still a few regular beaches though. It is an amazing and beautiful place though. You'll have trouble studying because you'd rather be out in the sun! :)

:) thanks for the info. I think I'll study better out in the sun by the ocean tho. It is very relaxing. Well, provided that I'm accepted ;)

Members don't see this ad.

just FWIW, they don't start the waitlist until the class is full so some of us may not hear anything for a few months.

I haven't received a rejection letter from them yet, so I'm assuming that I'm on the waitlist for now. Hopefully we get pulled out of the list once some people decline their acceptances or when they start reviewing our apps again along with other people who have interviewed in Jan or Feb.

I haven't received a rejection letter from them yet, so I'm assuming that I'm on the waitlist for now. Hopefully we get pulled out of the list once some people decline their acceptances or when they start reviewing our apps again along with other people who have interviewed in Jan or Feb.

Is that how they do it at UH? I know Touro would not pull ppl from the waitlist until May or so.

Members don't see this ad :)

yeah, or hopefully they send out some more acceptance letters tonight. this waiting game sucks, I check my email and sdn probably fifty times a day on my phone. im sure my employer loves me. anyway, let us know if you hear anything today cinnamonroll.

Is that how they do it at UH? I know Touro would not pull ppl from the waitlist until May or so.

I haven't contacted them regarding their waitlist method, but from what other people have posted on this thread it seems like they don't give us any ranking on the list and that they review the waitlist often every now and then. According to the SDN population, no one has gotten rejected after the interview yet.

I haven't contacted them regarding their waitlist method, but from what other people have posted on this thread it seems like they don't give us any ranking on the list and that they review the waitlist often every now and then. According to the SDN population, no one has gotten rejected after the interview yet.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think once you're waitlisted, they won't review your file until all interviews have been done, not every time.
Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think once you're waitlisted, they won't review your file until all interviews have been done, not every time.
Hope that makes sense.

Midwestern CCP reviews it often I think because some people have gotten accepted from the alternate list already. That's like a sign of hope to me. :D

That's not what I noticed from last year's UHH thread. If you're waitlisted, I don't think you'll get pulled before others have had their chance to interview. You should read through what last year's people on SDN went through ... it should give you some hope because a lot of people on the waitlist were accepted up until the first day of class.

Hey Congratulations
I see that you attend UH Manoa, I'm currently a student there also. If you don't mind, I'm wonndering if UHH favors science GPA more than cGPA. My situation is that I have a great science GPA except I have a really low cGPA.

My stats are currently:
cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 3.89
last ~50 credits: 3.9
PCAT: next month
EC: ~100 hours volunteering in-patient pharmacy
-CPhT certified.

I'm planning to apply at a pharmacy now that I am certified so that I can have some working experience. As for Pharmacy school, I'm planning to apply for Fall 2010. If I don't get in during that attempt, I'll probably finish my BA Biology degree and will hopefully have a higher cGPA by that time. The reason my cGPA sucks is because I failed a whole semester of liberal arts classes (ie: religion, economics, pre-algebra, etc...) As you can see, I failed those classes during my second semester of college at a CC. It's been a long time since then and I have been an excellent student since. I just hope I have a chance, especially since I'm a resident. :-(

In other news, good luck to those still waiting and congratulations to those that got in. :thumbup:

Hey! By any chance you in the Pre-Pharmacy Association? I'm the socials coordinator...you might know me :)
But yeah...UHHilo favors students who show progress in their grades. For me, during my first two years, I did not do so hot. I even got a D+ in ochem 272. However, I turned those grades around significantly. Don't worry, your stats are great. Keep at it and you will definitely get in!

just FWIW, they don't start the waitlist until the class is full so some of us may not hear anything for a few months.

Actually, that's not true. Last year, I was placed on the waitlist for UHH and they were still accepting people after a bunch of us got waitlisted. (WTF, man?)

It seems that they're a lot more organized this time around than for 2008. I actually got my confirmation to interview in Vegas on 2/19 today--one business day after I faxed in my preferences. Last year, I waited nearly a month!

That's wild. That was per Liz though, so I'm not sure.

Just got back from a week long vacation last night to find my acceptance e-mail! However, I'm going to be turning down my spot so that'll open up a seat for one of you waitlisters. Hopefully those of you that truly want to go there get in. Hope everyone has a Happy Holidays.

I haven't received the hard copy yet. I wonder how long mail takes to get to California from Hawaii.
January 1st is the due date for the deposit and my next interview is on January 5th. I'm not 100% sure. How about you? If you get off the waitlist, will you go to that other school?

I take it you are from CA too? I still have not received my hard copy of the letter. Can't wait though! Where is your next interview at? Is this school one that you really want to go to? These are the questions I have been thinking about...I'm pretty sure I have a good chance being pulled off the list from midwestern, but I wasn't really impressed with their program or the campus. If I would get pulled off of minnesota, I would absolutely go there, but it is highly unlikely. I have the feeling not many people turn down minnesota. I've decided to accept. There are some pretty cool things about this program! I only wish I could have seen the campus before making this tough decision. Best of luck to you. Maybe see you next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, that's not true. Last year, I was placed on the waitlist for UHH and they were still accepting people after a bunch of us got waitlisted. (WTF, man?)

It seems that they're a lot more organized this time around than for 2008. I actually got my confirmation to interview in Vegas on 2/19 today--one business day after I faxed in my preferences. Last year, I waited nearly a month!

I skimmed last years thread. it looks like people were waitlisted and pulled off the waitlist before interviews ceased. also, people suggested that those who were waitlisted had their apps reevaluated with current interviewers'. but when I asked Liz, she suggested otherwise so I don't know.

I take it you are from CA too? I still have not received my hard copy of the letter. Can't wait though! Where is your next interview at? Is this school one that you really want to go to? These are the questions I have been thinking about...I'm pretty sure I have a good chance being pulled off the list from midwestern, but I wasn't really impressed with their program or the campus. If I would get pulled off of minnesota, I would absolutely go there, but it is highly unlikely. I have the feeling not many people turn down minnesota. I've decided to accept. There are some pretty cool things about this program! I only wish I could have seen the campus before making this tough decision. Best of luck to you. Maybe see you next year!

I'm from southern California. Finally, I did receive the hard copy today. Regular white envelope with 1 sheet of paper inside, the same that you got in the email acceptance. Funny thing was I didn't tell my mom that I got accepted yet so when she saw the small white envelope, she thought I got rejected.

I have an interview at Midwestern-Glendale coming up in January, which I would like to attend since it is a 3 year school and I can drive my car there instead of shipping it across the ocean. If not, I would like to make Hawaii my new home.

Just got back from a week long vacation last night to find my acceptance e-mail! However, I'm going to be turning down my spot so that'll open up a seat for one of you waitlisters. Hopefully those of you that truly want to go there get in. Hope everyone has a Happy Holidays.
Hey, good news for not just the waitlisters but those who're waiting to interview. :)

Just out of curiosity, which school is your first choice?

Hey, good news for not just the waitlisters but those who're waiting to interview. :)

Just out of curiosity, which school is your first choice?

Any California school would be my top choice with UCSD taking the cake if I were able to get accepted to more than one. Outside of the west coast schools, I've currently got Shenandoah and LECOM at the top.

I skimmed last years thread. it looks like people were waitlisted and pulled off the waitlist before interviews ceased. also, people suggested that those who were waitlisted had their apps reevaluated with current interviewers'. but when I asked Liz, she suggested otherwise so I don't know.

Yeah, it was really confusing and infuriating last year when I would ask why people got accepted after placing others on the waitlist. They wouldn't give me a straightforward answer.

Liz definitely has her stuff together--if I remember correctly, she was the one who took us on a tour of the campus and did her undergrad there, so she definitely knew her way around. The person who had her position before was flaky and disorganized.

I just got an e-mail saying I was accepted!!!:soexcited::banana: Good luck to everyone that is waiting.:luck:
Does anyone know if they have financial aid?

Nope. You wash coconuts to pay off your tuition. :)

Ha ha. I guess I should rephrase the question. I can't find anything about their tuition or financial aid. Can someone tell me where I can find the information? I am just wondering since it is a new program if there are only private loans and not government loans available. I know they have a medical school on the other island so I am thinking that they should have government loans available.

I just got an e-mail saying I was accepted!!!:soexcited::banana: Good luck to everyone that is waiting.:luck:

Congrats on getting accepted! :) Did you check your email on Friday or have you been checking but all of a sudden received an email from them today? I was just wondering because they might be accepting people who are on the waitlist right now after maybe a certain number of people who got accepted have declined.

Congrats on getting accepted! :) Did you check your email on Friday or have you been checking but all of a sudden received an email from them today? I was just wondering because they might be accepting people who are on the waitlist right now after maybe a certain number of people who got accepted have declined.

I received the e-mail today a couple of hours ago. I interviewed on December 12th. I hope you get in! Hang in there and :luck:!

Ha ha. I guess I should rephrase the question. I can't find anything about their tuition or financial aid. Can someone tell me where I can find the information? I am just wondering since it is a new program if there are only private loans and not government loans available. I know they have a medical school on the other island so I am thinking that they should have government loans available.

I don't remember where I saw the info, but tuition is around 30K for out of state students and you are eligible for stafford loans.

Congrats, btw!!!:hardy:

Whoo! I just got an acceptance e-mail tonight! I'm so excited and relieved. I was so afraid I wasn't going to get into any schools this year.

Wasn't there another person from Orange County who also got accepted?

Whoo! I just got an acceptance e-mail tonight! I'm so excited and relieved. I was so afraid I wasn't going to get into any schools this year.

Wasn't there another person from Orange County who also got accepted?

Congrats to you and anomrxer. That person is me!

congrats to those who just found out!!! Are you planning to attend??

so it's look like the class will be half hawaiians and half californians. :D

You forget how many people have said they would turn down UHH if they get accepted by their first/second choice schools though. Look back through the thread for last year, there was a huge amount of people that did that, causing lots of people to be pulled off the waitlist in just the last couple weeks before classes started.

sigh, reality is setting in for me. I guess it was not meant to be.

Anyhow, congrats to those who have received their acceptances. :)

For those who interviewed at Hilo, HI, did you get interviewed by 1 faculty member? cuz...according to last year's thread, some people who interviewed at Hilo got interviewed by 3 faculty members as opposed to the one-on-one interview at Vegas. I feel more nervous when there are 2 or more interviewers because it means you'll have to impress more people.

For those who interviewed at Hilo, HI, did you get interviewed by 1 faculty member? cuz...according to last year's thread, some people who interviewed at Hilo got interviewed by 3 faculty members as opposed to the one-on-one interview at Vegas. I feel more nervous when there are 2 or more interviewers because it means you'll have to impress more people.

just 1 interviewer, at least for me on the Hilo campus.

Hey! By any chance you in the Pre-Pharmacy Association? I'm the socials coordinator...you might know me :)
But yeah...UHHilo favors students who show progress in their grades. For me, during my first two years, I did not do so hot. I even got a D+ in ochem 272. However, I turned those grades around significantly. Don't worry, your stats are great. Keep at it and you will definitely get in!

Yeah, I'm in the Pre-Pharmacy Association. I think I've seen you at the meetings before. I'm a new member and this Spring 09' will be my second semester in the club.

Fall 2008 was a great semester for me as I got all A's except with one B in calculus (18Credit Semester). I hope that UHH will see my efforts in doing well in science courses. I plan to apply for Fall 2010.

For those of you who applied to UHH, what month did you start applying and what is the preferable month to apply early?

P.S. Thanks for the vote of confidence, that definitely fueled my aspirations more. Aloha.

Yeah, it's kinda like that now with the current class, most are from SoCal though :D
Maybe that's because there are just too many pharm hopefuls in California and they're spilling over to other States. I think this is mostly true of most programs just because of the sheer number of CA applicants. :)

I just received an e-mail from Liz saying I've been accepted!!! :banana:

FYI, I interviewed on January 8th. Anyone else?

Congrats on getting accepted! Told you you did well on the interview! :)

Congratulations!!! That's pretty fast! I interviewed on Jan. 10th in Hilo. I haven't heard anything. :(

Hi,
Did you interview in Hilo or in the States. May I ask for your stats. Thanks!

I just found out that I've been accepted to Midwestern CPG. So most likely, I will decline my acceptance from UHH. That's one more seat for you guys. Good luck.

Congrats on getting accepted! Told you you did well on the interview! :)

I can at least relax now since the thought of having to re-apply next year did creep into my mind after my terrible interview. :)

Congratulations!!! That's pretty fast! I interviewed on Jan. 10th in Hilo. I haven't heard anything. :(

I don't know your stats but I'm sure you'll hear from them soon since, if I remember correctly, you had tons of interviews all lined up this year. :p

Hi,
Did you interview in Hilo or in the States. May I ask for your stats. Thanks!

I didn't interview in Hilo.

My stats?
GPA: Really Low :oops:
PCAT: Terrible :oops:

hey guys! i have an interview coming up on the 23rd. did anyone interview at Hilo? how was that experience?

I can at least relax now since the thought of having to re-apply next year did creep into my mind after my terrible interview. :)

I don't know your stats but I'm sure you'll hear from them soon since, if I remember correctly, you had tons of interviews all lined up this year. :p

I didn't interview in Hilo.

My stats?
GPA: Really Low :oops:
PCAT: Terrible :oops:

Can be that bad if you got accepted.

I have an interview with UHH on Jan. 23rd. Can anyone tell me how their interview went. What type of questions were asked? Anything I need to know would be helpful! :)

Also is a suit jacket a must? I just keep thinking that if I wear one, I'll just end up taking it off.

Yea. I got waitlisted for one of them already and still waiting on the rest. :(