Any news on the new COMSAE readjustment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alkaidius

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rumor had it that they would readjust scores for the new COMSAEs June 1st right? Any news regarding this? I wasn't able to break 500 on either of the ones I took both before and after June 1st, so I was wondering if I'm just hopelessly floundering and getting dumber the more I study lol or whether they still weren't able to make a decent curve. What has y'alls experience been with these? Any input from lurking faculty would also be appreciated~

Members don't see this ad.

Rumor had it that they would readjust scores for the new COMSAEs June 1st right? Any news regarding this? I wasn't able to break 500 on either of the ones I took both before and after June 1st, so I was wondering if I'm just hopelessly floundering and getting dumber the more I study lol or whether they still weren't able to make a decent curve. What has y'alls experience been with these? Any input from lurking faculty would also be appreciated~
Huh. My COMSAE scores do not appear to be adjusted. Maybe NBOME is still googling how to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
They have not made the adjustments. Took two comsaes before and after June 1st and I performed similarly on both (by 1 or 2 questions) and still received about the same score.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the NBOME website, apparently a couple days ago:

"Following the implementation of the new blueprint, and administration of the enhanced COMLEX-USA Level 1 examination, a new passing standard will be set and applied to COMLEX-USA Level 1 administrations that began in May 2019.

After the first several score releases of COMLEX-USA Level 1 beginning mid-July 2019, NBOME will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of scores on COMSAE Phase 1 and subsequent scores on Level 1. Following this evaluation, we will provide additional information to enhance interpretability of COMSAE Phase 1 scores and Level 1 scores.With this in mind, caution should be exercised in using COMSAE Phase 1 scores to estimate subsequent COMLEX-USA Level 1 scores."

Looks like we will all be taking the COMLEX blind, since most people are finished by June and they won't have score-correlations until "mid-July 2019." Just send a 2nd year medical student to the NBOME office and have them do the statistics, you absolute spoons.

If anybody at the NBOME is reading this you should either 1) get a new statistician or 2) get a statistician.

Reactions: 8 users
If anybody at the NBOME is reading this you should either 1) get a new statistician or 2) get a statistician.

Well you have to remember they are run by people whose first statement to students in defense of their existence is, "SDN is the number one source of #fakenews so don't ever go there."

That legit was the very first comment by the president when he came to visit our school.

Reactions: 7 users
Well you have to remember they are run by people whose first statement to students in defense of their existence is, "SDN is the number one source of #fakenews so don't ever go there."

That legit was the very first comment by the president when he came to visit our school.

I mean, I hate the AOA more than anyone else but he's not wrong. People here say things without sources like half of the time. Just like how I am right now ;)

But seriously I can't count how many times I've read something on here that I've asked the PDs at our school about and they couldn't understand where I was getting this information from.

I mean, I hate the AOA more than anyone else but he's not wrong. People here say things without sources like half of the time. Just like how I am right now ;)

But seriously I can't count how many times I've read something on here that I've asked the PDs at our school about and they couldn't understand where I was getting this information from.

SDN is a better resource than anything the school or NBOME will give you, even with the neuroticism and occasional myth that gets thrown around. My point is that if the NBOME's first argument about how they should remain relevant is to try and discredit an anonymous online forum then that's telling. Especially when this is followed up with bashing the USMLE and how no DO should take it because it's so inferior to COMLEX, and then after that showing a bunch of examples of how people matched "competitively to their number 1 choice residency" with only COMLEX (they were all people who matched AOA programs in the AOA match.... so of course they didn't need USMLE).

The point of my comment wasn't to put SDN on a pedestal, it was to highlight the complete incompetence, and quite frankly in many instances the outright lies being spewed, of the NBOME.

Reactions: 2 users
Serious question: Are schools really bashing Step 1 and discouraging students from taking it? My school has been encouraging us to take STEP unless you're in danger of failing Comlex

Serious question: Are schools really bashing Step 1 and discouraging students from taking it? My school has been encouraging us to take STEP unless you're in danger of failing Comlex

No but they aren't really encouraging either. For my school it makes at least a little more sense because of how much GME we have, even if I think everyone should have to take Step.

Didn't happen at my school. We had a single lecture that said "if you want to match derm, ortho, or any uber competitive speciality take the USMLE." My school is very hands off with the entire process. It's kind of amazing how passive it has been. We've had 100% match rate every year except one in recent history and it still amazes me.

You might not see it being actively discouraged but most schools are complicit in behaviors that discourage and detract students from taking the USMLE. Is it malicious? Maybe, but I think it's generally that DO primary care types run schools and therefore have no clue about how anything works (nor do they care.)

They also host NBOME and AOA losers who say straight up garbage rhetoric so...

Reactions: 2 users
SDN is a better resource than anything the school or NBOME will give you, even with the neuroticism and occasional myth that gets thrown around. My point is that if the NBOME's first argument about how they should remain relevant is to try and discredit an anonymous online forum then that's telling. Especially when this is followed up with bashing the USMLE and how no DO should take it because it's so inferior to COMLEX, and then after that showing a bunch of examples of how people matched "competitively to their number 1 choice residency" with only COMLEX (they were all people who matched AOA programs in the AOA match.... so of course they didn't need USMLE).

The point of my comment wasn't to put SDN on a pedestal, it was to highlight the complete incompetence, and quite frankly in many instances the outright lies being spewed, of the NBOME.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I think it should be recognized the low bar that is the AOA that you are comparing SDN to here. This place makes it seem like if you don't score 230/550 on boards your career is over and you're destined for FM. The hyperbole is nauseating sometimes.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I think it should be recognized the low bar that is the AOA that you are comparing SDN to here. This place makes it seem like if you don't score 230/550 on boards your career is over and you're destined for FM. The hyperbole is nauseating sometimes.

This doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying.....