Any nutrition majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etherealsolvent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm going to be majoring in nutritional science next year at UT and I was wondering what your experiences with this major have been. I'm really interested in nutrition and I feel like it's relatively easier than Chemistry or Biology major. Was the coursework hard?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a nutrition minor. The coursework is not easy by any means. The first introductory classes are fine, but the advanced nutrition classes are heavily biochemistry based. You need a solid foundation in organic chemistry and biochem

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I'm going to be majoring in nutritional science next year at UT and I was wondering what your experiences with this major have been. I'm really interested in nutrition and I feel like it's relatively easier than Chemistry or Biology major. Was the coursework hard?

I'll be doing the same next fall after I do a culinary program at the local cc. Are you doing a nutrition science major or dietetics and nutrition major?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing a dual major in nutritional sciences and biology at Mizzou. Definitely agree that upper level nutrition classes are very organic/biochem heavy, but most of the coursework has been both interesting and enjoyable!

My main pro's for my program:
-incorporated biochem I & II into my schedule without all the biochem labs (which I didn't care for at all)
-interesting classes that even had elements of public health (huge plus for me)
-major isn't filled to the brim with mean try-hard/burn-out/MD-or-bust pre-meds (like biology...)
-major IS filled with a pretty diverse set of pre-health students
-tended to have super compassionate teachers that made the content relevant and enjoyable to learn

Overall, don't count on the material being easy by any means. Get ready for some tough organic and biochem, but the electives are really enjoyable for someone interested in medicine and applications of medicine to public health.

Hi I am actually a nutrition major at UT right now. Just finished my freshman year. I've only taken the intro to the nutrition class and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it was not hard. It's pretty interesting. If you have any questions since you are basically me, feel free to PM me :)

I'm graduating with a BS in Dietetics, nutrition, and food sciences. It's been a wonderful experience. Classes do get tougher as you move into the 200-level courses (nutritional biochem, food micro etc.). I found it to be an excellent choice for a (pre-med) major and we need more doc's with a nutrition background!

My significant other finished her B.S. in Nutrition (opt. Dietetics) last May (at UT) and from my overall understanding, she said that Nutrition classes weren't too difficult in comparison to the heavier Biology courses (i.e. microbiology, neurobiology, etc.), but they still required a fair amount of work and studying in order to get the A.