any one got F.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc 1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hii, i want to ask that getting an f in any of pre req like i got F in orgo 1 and if i repeat it will be replaced by the new grade and will it consider as replaced grade like in pre med the grade is not replaced but average, what did they do with the repeat course....

Members don't see this ad.

hii, i want to ask that getting an f in any of pre req like i got F in orgo 1 and if i repeat it will be replaced by the new grade and will it consider as replaced grade like in pre med the grade is not replaced but average, what did they do with the repeat course....

Be careful. While repeating the failed course is widely acceptable, it may sting you when they calculate your accumulative GPA. (Most of pharm schools in Canada I know do this. Not sure about US... check your school) For instance, my school calculates GPA for 2 most recent years.

However, it could be your advantage. If you failed courses 2 years prior to your application, they mean absolutely nothing. It will show on the transcript, but they can't do anything about it. (If possible, I do recommend of repeating them because there's always "human" factor involved when comittee is making the decision)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah PharmCAS will average the grades, and most schools now use PharmCAS. There are schools that will take the highest grade so do your research. You can still get in though even with a few bad grades.

I've seen a post like this so many times, i feel like those that allow themselves to fail classes without help or not withdrawing from the course in time, is going to have a hard time in any professional school in the future (sorry for the generalization becuz i don't know your background story). That saying, professional school takes a lot of dedication and focus and esp. hard work and time management. In addition, if you're having a hard time with your class load, lessen it. It's always better to end the semester strong than try to fix your GPA in the future.

Needless to say: a failing grade in any pharmacy/med pre-reqs is unacceptable. Some schools will not accept anything lower than a C as their minimum. AND you have to remember that even if you do end up retaking it, some schools will hold that against you in the admission process because your first grade was a D/F (or lower than a C). Retaking any pre-req that was lower than a C to begin with does not look good on your app.

Good luck, i hope everything works out

Assume your school averages the two grades. Most do this, however some schools offer grade forgiveness if you've repeated a course or it's older than X years. Best thing you can do is retake the course and get an A. At least that will average out to a C.

Assume your school averages the two grades. Most do this, however some schools offer grade forgiveness if you've repeated a course or it's older than X years. Best thing you can do is retake the course and get an A. At least that will average out to a C.

Forgiveness policy for Pharm admission? Wow, wish my school was like that...

A little off subject, but assuming I retake a class that I made a B in and get an A, since they average them together I'll still have a B? So is there a point?

A little off subject, but assuming I retake a class that I made a B in and get an A, since they average them together I'll still have a B? So is there a point?

You could learn the material better so you will have a stronger foundation for pharmacy school. But GPA wise? Probably not. I would do the math and see how much it changes your GPA if you repeat it and then decide if it is worth it. Chances are, it won't affect your GPA much at all unless you are just starting your pre-reqs.

I got 2 F's during my undergraduate years. I'm in Rho Chi now.

also a lot of state schools won't let you retake classes unless you made a D or F. usually you have to pay out of state fees for that. :( so it may not even be a good option.

just find the best school for you. :) there is one out there, trust me.

Retaking a class you got a B in, just to get an A? Dude, just go back & repeat 1 more year in high school...i.e. if that will be enough to wake you up:diebanana: