any other convicts out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

redheadmed

so I am applying... errr... my friend :) is applying to med school right now and she is a little worried by the question appearing on many secondary apps already available online. The questions basically ask if you have ever been convicted (or sometimes even charged) with any crime, even misdemeanors. The only exception they make is minor traffic violations. My friend, oh screw it :) , I was 19 and got a minor-in-possession having a beer at a tailgate party. I am not a drinker! I got unlucky ONE time five years ago and now I have (gasp) a record. I have worked hard to maintain a 3.97, have great volunteer and research experience, and just got a 33 on the April MCAT (my third time around, blah). Does anyone else have a friend like mine? Or can you at least offer some advice, knowledge, an anecdote? I am dying thinking I am the only person with a black mark like this :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this will matter much.

This will not be a big deal at all. Especially with your stats. Have fun in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll be fine, dont worry about it.

and for whats it worth, you're not fooling me with this "im not a drinker" act

I wouldn't put it on my application. Let them figure it out.

ndi_amaka said:
I wouldn't put it on my application. Let them figure it out.

Figure it out as in find out you lied on your AP and revoke your acceptance or kick you out of school?? Bad idea there.

HELLL no you should not tell........just deny it when they ask you....My friend got into UCI this year and he is a convicted child molester....he said that when they asked him about it, he denied it and told them that they must have another Habibi...not him

everything worked out fine :thumbup:
:p

niceguy2004 said:
HELLL no you should not tell........just deny it when they ask you....My friend got into UCI this year and he is a convicted child molester....he said that when they asked him about it, he denied it and told them that they must have another Habibi...not him

errr, I hope he doesn't want to go into peds

niceguy2004 said:

Obviously, you are giving the bad advice here. I think Mr. niceguy is having a bad today. I saw many of his angry posts elsewhere. Its sad (and scary too) that there is some childmolester out there that is a doctor. (If this is true, which I doubt it is, UCI didn't do a good job). Also, you have a minor convinction. Don't worry about it. If I am the admissions officer, I would understand that you were the unlucky one who got caught. I wouldn't count that against you, if you have everything else that I am looking for.

IllinoisStudent said:
Obviously, you are giving the bad advice here. I think Mr. niceguy is having a bad today. I saw many of his angry posts elsewhere. Its sad (and scary too) that there is some childmolester out there that is a doctor. (If this is true, which I doubt it is, UCI didn't do a good job). Also, you have a minor convinction. Don't worry about it. If I am the admissions officer, I would understand that you were the unlucky one who got caught. I wouldn't count that against you, if you have everything else that I am looking for.

Yeah get lost I am telling the truth...YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH :hardy:

I will definitely tell the truth about the whole affair, as crummy as I feel about it. I know of a med student at one of the UC schools who left his criminal record out of his application, and when the school discovered he had a record during his second year at med school, they kicked him out the next day. As much as I would like the schools to sort it out themselves, it's dishonest and a huge risk. I just wonder if anyone else is in the same situation.

Mr. Niceguy is not a very good friend, because if he is telling the truth about his friend Mr. Habibi, he just left a paper trail for UCI to follow with regards to getting Habibi kicked out.

Hell, I am applying while IN prison.....think they'll notice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to interviews might be a problem while incarcerated.

My roommate was busted for using a fake ID at a bar in undergrad. He's now a Penn MD/PhD. One of his interviewers at CWRU (a particular faculty member in Neuroscience, you'd know who I mean if you know him) gave him a high five. Don't sweat it. I would point it out on your personal statement, but if it comes up in interviews just be ready to explain it.

how about this one? i have a felony from shoplifting when i was 13. think anyone will decide not to interview me based on this?

Why hasn't it been expunged? My friend had multiple felonys as a teenager from cracking into NASA research lab computers and stealing financial info and credit card databases from local internet providers. His record is now wiped, and he's like 20. Someone enlighten me.

well i tried to get it expunged, but where i'm from you have to be 24 before you can ask to have them erase it. someone on here was telling me about a loophole where if you're under 18 when something happens you aren't actually convicted, that it's called something else, so technically you can say you've never been convicted of anything. his lawyer said that this was okay to do. but i still don't feel comfortable doing it, so i don't know what to do. but answering yes to the "do you have a felony" question is like digging your own grave.

LauraMac said:
well i tried to get it expunged, but where i'm from you have to be 24 before you can ask to have them erase it. someone on here was telling me about a loophole where if you're under 18 when something happens you aren't actually convicted, that it's called something else, so technically you can say you've never been convicted of anything. his lawyer said that this was okay to do. but i still don't feel comfortable doing it, so i don't know what to do. but answering yes to the "do you have a felony" question is like digging your own grave.

If you are under 17, it is called a juvenile offense, and I don't know of any state that does not seal your juvenile record after you are an adult. They are not considered prior convictions, and you should not have to divulge it.

To the OP, MIP tickets are pretty prevalent among college students, even premeds. I doubt it will hurt much.

redheadmed said:
I will definitely tell the truth about the whole affair, as crummy as I feel about it. I know of a med student at one of the UC schools who left his criminal record out of his application, and when the school discovered he had a record during his second year at med school, they kicked him out the next day. As much as I would like the schools to sort it out themselves, it's dishonest and a huge risk. I just wonder if anyone else is in the same situation.

I am in the same boat, but I don't think underage drinking, and ID card violations are considered criminal. I have a couple, so I don't really want to explain being a ******* several times. I haven't had any in a long time, and you can always explain before you accept.

One more thing, Mayo did a background check on me for this summer. All those little things came up, and they didn't care at all. The lady said no one will care if they are not criminal. So I will definetly leave it out for now. I don't see the risk in a conservative interviewer, or adcom giving you the boot for that.

All this talk about criminal records makes me nervous. I've gotten pulled over for speeding lots of times but don't know what's officially on my record. Plus I've lost track of the number of times I've gotten tickets. I think it's 4 or 5 over a 9 year stretch. So basically, how can I get a look at the record that others would see if they did a search??

PookieGirl,

As long as these aren't felonies (which would be really odd from what you've said), this shows up on your driving record only as far as I know. You can request a copy of your driving record (I had to get one once), but basically nobody cares.

adamj61 said:
I am in the same boat, but I don't think underage drinking, and ID card violations are considered criminal. I have a couple, so I don't really want to explain being a ******* several times. I haven't had any in a long time, and you can always explain before you accept.

One more thing, Mayo did a background check on me for this summer. All those little things came up, and they didn't care at all. The lady said no one will care if they are not criminal. So I will definetly leave it out for now. I don't see the risk in a conservative interviewer, or adcom giving you the boot for that.

This is dangerous advice. While you may not consider these actions "criminal", they are by the definition presented in the application. Lying on your app is not a good idea, and the repercussions could be far more serious down the road. Don't forget that upon licensure, the state board will ask the same question, and do a thorough background check, including a cross-check against the info presented in your med school application. If they see any disparity between your applications and background check, that four years of education you paid for may be all for naught.

Silly to risk it, especially for something as inconsequential as a MIP, which will not keep you from being accepted at any med school. Well, maybe Loma Linda, but that's it :)

LauraMac said:
how about this one? i have a felony from shoplifting when i was 13. think anyone will decide not to interview me based on this?

You were only 13! I can't believe thats a felony. Some schools specify that even if the records are sealed you still must put it down, so you should discuss it. I think you need to come up with some good reasons for what your situation was when you shoplifted. Was your family poor and you stole food or something that you could never afford? Or were you just being dumb with your friends? Get into details about your mindset at the time, and what you have learned. Is this the only thing you did? You just need an otherwise strong applicant and you should get interviews. Just be open and mature about was happen and they will respect your honesty, and if not you probably won't want to go to a school like that anyway. I heard of a girl who stole clothes when she was seventeen because her family was very poor and all the interviewers thought that she was wonderful, but the dean and some others on the commitee did not want her because of it. However, the other half of the admissions committed stood up for her and demanded that she accepted and eventually she was. As it turned out she was already accepted to a better school as they were a little more liberal and didn't care as much. I know how you feel though, but I was 19! I think we will both find that some schools will judge us, so I am applying to more schools just in case.

It's not lying when they ask if you have been "convicted of a criminal offense." If they asked if I had a ticket...I would say yes. I saw my check from Mayo and I don't have a criminal record...so I don't see the point to bring out non criminal things from the past.

adamj61 said:
It's not lying when they ask if you have been "convicted of a criminal offense." If they asked if I had a ticket...I would say yes. I saw my check from Mayo and I don't have a criminal record...so I don't see the point to bring out non criminal things from the past.

Are you talking about the MIP or traffic violations? In my state MIP is a misdemeaner! Many secondaries request that you list ANY offense other than minor traffic violations including infractions, misdemeaners, and felonies. A few secondaries didn't even ask other than the AMCAS felony question (Tulane). Also what is your definition, or the schools, of a criminal offense?

Thanks

What is MIP? My drinking tickets etc would be considered an infraction, so then I would put it down. But not if it asks for a criminal offense...a criminal offense to me is a misdemeanor...when you look at your file and it says Case Type: Criminal vs Ordinance. The Wash U app said criminal offense other than speading....so maybe they wanted it. Too late now though.

Whatever you do, do not get defensive about it. No excuses, just let it go. I for one would not mind that one of my applicants did something that most NORMAL kids do, and just happened to get caught. A good number of pre meds are wound so tight that a lump of coal up their a**...well you know. I have no idea why this would be a problem, especially if it is your only strike. Hell, given the alcoholism rates among doctors as it is, they might welcome you to the club. Just be mature and accepting in your answers to questions about it and there will probably not be a problem. And for any school that is wound so tight that there is a problem, you probably do not want to go there anyway.

I agree, I just have 3 of them...maybe I should have been wound tighter when I was younger

littleroo said:
So I'm in a similar boat as one of the posters. When I was thirteen, some friends and I were goofing off and got caught shoplifting. It was a ******ed, immature mistake, and it was expunged after a six month probation. I asked a cop friend, and he said that I have no criminal record. I would obviously be truthful if I were asked if I had a criminal record including juvenile or expunged offenses, but some of the wording on applications is ambiguous. Like Nebraska's, for instance..."have you ever been convicted of any criminal offense (including misdemeanors and felonies) other than a minor traffic violation..." Now SLU's is easy, it explicitly says not to include juvenile stuff, but NU doesn't ask one way or the other, so can I assume that omitting expunged offenses is okay here because it doesn't say to include them? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm absolutely not trying to be dishonest, and I don't mind revealing if I have to because I know it's not really a big deal. I'm sure a misdemeanor at such a young age won't have a big effect, but I'd rather not open this can of worms unless I must.

Anyone with any similar experience or legal expertise?

You never have to include juvenile offenses unless you were tried as an adult. Your juvenile record is sealed from everyone, even med schools, and they are not considered convictions unless, like I said, you were tried as an adult.

How do you get convicted? Do you have to goto court, judge, etc etc?

-tx

I've never been convicted of a crime, but I do listen to hardcore rap music quite often.

littleroo said:
Nope, I just had to talk to a juvenile probation officer, who gave me probation and told me the conviction would be expunged "if I kept my nose clean." And I did.

How do you get convicted in the first place? Does that mean you went to court before a judge or something?

-tx

Why don't you phone admissions? Er, just don't tell them your name...right....

littleroo said:
Hmmm, this will probably sound incredibly stupid, but I don't know. I know I didn't go to court or talk to a judge or anything.

Here's the series of events: Shoplifted with friends, caught, police called, we were transported to the police station and parents were called, had to meet with probation officer who told me I was on probation. Never got in trouble again and never heard another thing about it. Does this mean that I was never officially charged? I guess I never understood it completely in the first place and still don't. :oops:

You were part of that scare the young kids scare tactic employed by the cops. Why don't you ask your parents?