Any other INFJ's out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're going to get a biased response based on the fact that you put a specific type in your question. I on the other hand came by because I was just daydreaming about MBTI and wanted to share some of my recent thoughts.

I think that I am an ENTP but here are a couple of things about the MBTI that might make some of you change your minds. I have also seen myself as an INTP at times as well. Both have the same cognitive functions but in different orders.

1. By definition, you must actually use the MBTI to get accurate MBTI results. It's $150...I haven't used it and am not planning to so my type is just an educated guess. All the other tests out there are useless and work using generalities.

2. The idea that MBTI is just a question for four dichotomies is false. Your MBTI assignment (ex. INFJ) then serves to assign you 8 cognitive functions in a order. The most important are the first two and their sequence is different for each type. For example, INFJ's leading function in Introverted Intuition followed by Extroverted Feeling as their secondary function. No other type has that sequence so if you do the math, ____8 cognitive functions___ X ____2 possibilities remaining X ___1 possibility__ X___1 possibility___ = 16 possible types.

3. Categorizing functions:

Extroverted vs. Introverted: Extroverted refers to how an individual gets his or her fuel to perform the cognitive function from, not from whether one is a people person or a nerd.
Intuition vs Sensory: Defined as a PERCEPTIVE function as opposed to a JUDGING one. Either you're Intuition Dominant or Sensory Dominants. Intuition refers to the ability to pattern-seek while sensory refers to the ability to perceive something as it is through the five senses.
Thinking vs. Feeling: Defined as a JUDGING function as opposed to a PERCEPTIVE one. Most can get a sense of this from their own preconceived notions of the two words.

So for example, Introverted Intuition is a cognitive function that facilitates the ability to understand by foreseeing implications, likely effects, and the ability to grasp and get a sense of a pattern or plan. Also, Introverted Intuition is used for rectifying contradictions. Extroverted Intuition on the other hand is a cognitive function that facilitates the ability to understand by interpreting situations, relationships, pickup interconnections to other contexts. Extroverted Intuition is also used for finding different paths or methods to solve things. According to what is self reported, many on here seem to classify themselves as INTJs/INFJs. This would mean that Introverted Intuition is their leading cognitive function which could make sense as the INTJ is supposed to be the archetypal scientist.

4. You can predict the order of cognitive functions through this algorithm which I have recently come up with (or you can look them up):
a.) E or I? If E, then your 1st and 3rd functions or extroverted and your 2nd are 4th are introverted. Vice versa for I.
b.) IJ/EP OR EJ/IP? If IJ/EP then first and last functions are perceiving functions and the middle are judging. If EJ/IP, then middle are perceiving and first and last are judging.
c.) T or F? If T, place T in the first or second position depending on results from previous step. If F, place F in the first of second position depending on results from previous step.
d.) Now you should have first four functions. To figure out the rest, simply take the same functions and repeat them but switch all introverted and extroverted functions.

If anyone is interested in discussing:

-the validity and/or accuracy of the MBTI in predicting an individual's personality and/or character
-why the algorithm which I have devised works
-how to make an accurate MBTI given the difficulty or ranking 8 cognitive functions.
-feels that they have better definitions for terms I have used
-the framework/context in which MBTI can be used
-what they would type me

please message me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've gotten INTJ multiple times, but I have a question: how accurate are these tests? Aren't the results skewed to how we ideally see ourselves and not necessarily how we actually are? I know plenty to people who say they're perfectionists, or introverts, or extroverts, who are anything but. Just a thought
Depends on how honest you are, but also on how well you understand yourself and your preferences (which might depend on your experiences)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never actually taken the test, but just trying to "diagnose" myself, I do believe I am an INFJ.

I'm not sure how well that'll translate in the medical field...

I just took that assessment with my family. I'm still INTJ after about 6 months, but I'm the only one in my household .

INTJs are my people. Thankfully there's so few of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Statistically speaking, there aren't many INFJ's in the world, according to the Myers-Briggs's Personality Profile. I was wondering how many SDNers classify themselves as INFJ?

Yeah, I've taken the test a bunch if times and I'm an INFJ intrinsically.

Yeah, I've taken the test a bunch if times and I'm an INFJ intrinsically.
When I retook the assessment, I had a slight increase in feeling but it seems pretty steady. The scoring and descriptions are highly accurate, really.

I'm psychopathic.

Oh wait, oops

INTJ. Most of my friends are as well.

I've never actually taken the test, but just trying to "diagnose" myself, I do believe I am an INFJ.

I'm not sure how well that'll translate in the medical field...

If you're truly INFJ:
You'll find that the first two years (basic science) years are draining and the final two (clinical) years amazing.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
INTJ! (Female INTJs are the rarest type, if I remember correctly, if we take gender into account. It's good to see so many INTJs out here, though. :D)

I have a number of friends who are INFJs, most of whom are in nursing or pre-social work. I agree that you'll probably hate the first two years, and it will be important, OP, that you choose a specialty (or not, FP would work well, too) that will reward your F or life will be very draining.

@Muffinho, I'm reasonably sure my dad is an INTP (though he switches between that and ENTP sometimes).

INTJ! (Female INTJs are the rarest type, if I remember correctly, if we take gender into account. It's good to see so many INTJs out here, though. :D)

I have a number of friends who are INFJs, most of whom are in nursing or pre-social work. I agree that you'll probably hate the first two years, and it will be important, OP, that you choose a specialty (or not, FP would work well, too) that will reward your F or life will be very draining.

@Muffinho, I'm reasonably sure my dad is an INTP (though he switches between that and ENTP sometimes).

I think the first time I took the test, I had around 98% introverted. If I get into medical school, I'll probably end up just doing research or in one of the lab specialties.

I am INTP. Most of my friends are, and I get along with most other, iNtuitives. It is the Sensing personalities that I clash with.

@jeffs office

Hey Jeff, we've found our people.

I'm an INFJ fa sho.

Reactions: 1 users
I test anywhere from INFP to ENFP to INTP to ENTP depending on the day and phase in my life.

My understanding is while there are scientifically validated personality constructs/tests,the Meyers-Brigg isn't one of them. Although for whatever reason, I'm pretty fuzzy about that judgment and too busy to validate it through a Google lookup.

Anyway: the descriptions of the various personality types remind me of horoscopes. I mean seriously.

Are you a female INTJ? That's like finding a unicorn.

If you're truly INFJ:
You'll find that the first two years (basic science) years are draining and the final two (clinical) years amazing.
I can see that happening.
I test anywhere from INFP to ENFP to INTP to ENTP depending on the day and phase in my life.

My understanding is while there are scientifically validated personality constructs/tests,the Meyers-Brigg isn't one of them. Although for whatever reason, I'm pretty fuzzy about that judgment and too busy to validate it through a Google lookup.

Anyway: the descriptions of the various personality types remind me of horoscopes. I mean seriously.

Hahaha, I agree, they are similar to horoscopes. But it's still fun to look at :)

I hope going into medical will reward the F part of my personality. I have way too many feels....

Are you a female INTJ? That's like finding a unicorn.
Yep! I know, right? I was fortunate enough to find another female INTJ in high school, but have yet to meet another unicorn irl.

@lbadams11, awesome!

@synth, the articles are correct. (I read an interesting book on the neuroscience of MBTI typology...not the most scientifically rigorous [it is, after all, a popular book] but still interesting. Apparently, types have similar brain activity maps [EEGs] +90% of the time in this case-study. As I'm not a neuroscientist, I can't evaluate the claims in the book effectively, but I did find it interesting that there was some correlation found despite the MBTI otherwise being shown inaccurate.) Where I do find the system useful is in meeting new people. In my experience, I have found it fairly accurate in terms of finding people with similar interests and outlooks on the world and explaining why I can't stand others. However, as has been shown recently, one's personality often is dependent on environment so all such tests are bound to have their limits. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently I'm ENFP. I thought I was INTJ, but I never really identified with that group.

INFJ. Took it like 10 years ago and was INFJ then, too, so I guess I'm a lifer.

Just quoting to emphasize that (probably) nobody in this thread has taken an actual MBTI and are all basically guessing. Also, you can't even purchase the test yourself as you're likely not qualified to be a test user.

Believe it or not, those of us in the non-trad world may have been a part of companies that pay for workshops where things such as the MBTI are administered.

I've never understood the fascination with this; I have a few friends who are addicted to it and try to match up characters from shows to the different types, but to me it's always seemed a bit pointless.

Anyway, I know what I am just in case people ask: ENTJ.

Though I just took it again just now to make sure and N was only stronger than S by 1%, so I guess I'm balanced on that one. Either way, leader role.

Meh, I agree with @gettheleadout here. While I was obsessing over MBTI for months (see my post a couple posts up on this page), I realized it's not really scientifically based. While the ideas are interesting, The Big Five test is more widely recognized in the field of psychology. Also, after reading what Jung's written on personality types, it's clear to see how he was surmising a great deal of information. MBTI? Fun to think about (which I'm assuming is the point of this thread), but not really worth analyzing for personal growth.

Use it to spark some ideas and brainstorm, but don't live and die by it. I want to be a physician, does this mean I would have let this test tell me I couldn't be? What is this, the MCAT? The boards? Nope :p

I've gotten INTJ multiple times, but I have a question: how accurate are these tests? Aren't the results skewed to how we ideally see ourselves and not necessarily how we actually are? I know plenty to people who say they're perfectionists, or introverts, or extroverts, who are anything but. Just a thought

yea it does but i think in the end its what you think of yourself that matters. also its easy to put up an act, what you think tehy are like can be very different from their true self.

i just did the test and im INTJ! surprised its so popular on thsi forum based on that poll. i guess thats why we are on the forum and not out partying

INTJ.

Not surprised a relatively rare type (namely "strategists") are disproportionately represented on an online medical school forum.

Definitely an INTJ here too. I figured we're a dime a dozen in science/medicine.

I'm female too, and although it's supposed to be a rare type, my mom, sister, and grandmother are INTJs as well.

Last edited:
ISFJ here...I'm hoping it's compatible with a career in medicine

Borderline INFJ/INTJ. It depends on the test (never the real thing) and the day.

INTJ.

I'm very surprised by how many of us are here.

I'm surprised people still put stock into MBTI and the other pseudoscience personality tests. All of the descriptions can be applied to anyone--they're all general statements or play to stereotypes. Then again, knowing how neurotic premeds are, I shouldn't be surprised that we're obsessed with the psychology version of a cosmo poll.

In case anyone couldn't guess, I don't believe that MBTI is scientific and has no real use apart from facebook polls. I also don't believe that personalities are fixed. People who are shy don't always have to be shy, they can grow out of it. MBTI and the like seem to pigeon hole people into believing that they have to behave in a certain way because that's how their 'type' should act.

I'm surprised people still put stock into MBTI and the other pseudoscience personality tests. All of the descriptions can be applied to anyone--they're all general statements or play to stereotypes. Then again, knowing how neurotic premeds are, I shouldn't be surprised that we're obsessed with the psychology version of a cosmo poll.

In case anyone couldn't guess, I don't believe that MBTI is scientific and has no real use apart from facebook polls. I also don't believe that personalities are fixed. People who are shy don't always have to be shy, they can grow out of it. MBTI and the like seem to pigeon hole people into believing that they have to behave in a certain way because that's how their 'type' should act.

I don't feel pigeon-holed to act a certain way.

Have taken the test at least 1 or 2 times a year and have gotten INTP every time. Seems there's not too many of us on here...does anyone know if there's a place that matches the personality types to specialties?