Any Recovering Addicts/Alcoholics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkhull

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I know some serious med student drugees. Does that count? As far as I know, no one's ever gotten TOO out of control. Coke every weekend at one point. Is that nuts? Anyway, if you're looking for people to commisserate with, even if no one answers to this thread, you know you're not alone because virtually every school has a program dedicated to addicts and alcoholics. Take care!

I doubt anyone on here will answer honestly. A lot of people on here think all their posts are monitored by the schools they're applying to.

If you're including being addicted to anything, not just drugs, everyone on here is addicted to this website, and they embrace it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a recovering alcoholic, sober some 15 years now. Probably best to ask folks to PM you. I'm not shy, but some are.

I'm a drug and alcohol counselor, so I'd be happy to talk about any issues surrounding sobriety/recovery.

Steiner said:
I doubt anyone on here will answer honestly. A lot of people on here think all their posts are monitored by the schools they're applying to.

If you're including being addicted to anything, not just drugs, everyone on here is addicted to this website, and they embrace it.
hahaha :laugh: :laugh: :love:

4:20...thats about it... how hard are we talking here?

swifteagle43 said:
4:20...thats about it... how hard are we talking here?
4:20...???am i missing something here? what does that even mean?

Psycho Doctor said:

that's code for "time to smoke out"

MadameLULU said:
some ppl live a very sheltered life

very very sad
apparently i do, :oops: so sorry that i don't know of addicts or the code names associated with it. so shoot me.

Psycho Doctor said:
apparently i do, :oops: so sorry that i don't know of addicts or the code names associated with it. so shoot me.
Hey don't feel bad, PD. I've been around the block and had never heard of it either. I'm not sheltered, just old.

Members don't see this ad :)
liverotcod said:
Hey don't feel bad, PD. I've been around the block and had never heard of it either. I'm not sheltered, just old.

MadameLULU said:
[snotty attitude]
ugh :rolleyes:
[/snotty attitude]

;)
actually i thought your attitude was pretty snotty but i wasn't going to mention it

Psycho Doctor said:

I had no idea what it meant either :p

liverotcod said:
Also, here's Snopes explanation:
http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm

It's odd, really, that I somehow missed this. Perhaps more of a west-coast thing?

I don't know, I learned about it in high school from my brother who was in Jr. High. Apparently 69 and 420 are extremely important numbers in Jr. High and are meant to be inserted into any and all numerical answers, for example: In what year did Columbus discover America? 14...69!!!! When did Mohammed travel from Medina to Mecca? 420!!! I missed it because I am quite the nerd.

Soo... does video game addiction count? Video games can efficiently activatesthe release of neurotransmitters in the brain and their ease of access can cause the user to be reliant on games as the main source of those neurotransmitters. If so count me in. I quit video games for good in 2002 and my GPA reached over a 3.0 for the first time in my entire collegiate academic career.

There have been a few 'Friends of Bill' threads in the past here on SDN. I am an adult child of an alcoholic...my Dad has been sober 21 yrs now and I go to AA often with him. There was a fairly recent thread discussing the challenge of making time for meetings and working on your sobriety while trying to keep your head above water in med school.

beanbean said:
There have been a few 'Friends of Bill' threads in the past here on SDN. I am an adult child of an alcoholic...my Dad has been sober 21 yrs now and I go to AA often with him. There was a fairly recent thread discussing the challenge of making time for meetings and working on your sobriety while trying to keep your head above water in med school.

why do people call AA "friends of bill"?

I know a couple residents that are addicted to prescription narcotics. They sought help through the hospital they worked for, so they weren't fired. As long as you recognize your addiction and actively seek help, you should be ok.

tinkerbelle said:
why do people call AA "friends of bill"?

AA was started by a guy named Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smth. They were known as Bill W. and Dr. Bob. Due to the anonymity of AA, folks often call it Friends of Bill.

notdeadyet said:
AA was started by a guy named Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smth. They were known as Bill W. and Dr. Bob. Due to the anonymity of AA, folks often call it Friends of Bill.

You may hear "friends of Bill" paged at an airport or on a cruise ship. It is a way for recovering alcoholics to ask for someone if they are having trouble staying away from a drink. AA is a huge organization. There are over 2000 meetings in Connecticut every week.

FYI: The only requirement for membership to AA is the desire to stop drinking. There are different types of meetings held. Some are open meaning anyone may attend, others are closed and only alcoholics may attend. The "Big Book" of AA describes how AA was founded and outlines the twelve steps and twelve traditions. It is excellent to read even if you do not have an issue with substance abuse; there is much wisdom regarding how to deal with life in its pages.

Psycho Doctor said:

its part of social culture, they've written about 4:20 in newspaper articles and it is sometimes referred to in movies. you don't have to smoke to know about it, just had to have gone through high school.

edit: you know what, never mind, i guess it depends on who you grow up with and what you are exposed to.

An article on 420

You'reCrazy said:
its part of social culture, they've written about 4:20 in newspaper articles and it is sometimes referred to in movies. you don't have to smoke to know about it, just had to have gone through high school.
I think that's where my "too old" thing comes in... Even though Snopes puts the origins in the 70's, I'm pretty sure noone used that in the mid 80's in Wisconsin.

beanbean said:
You may hear "friends of Bill" paged at an airport or on a cruise ship. It is a way for recovering alcoholics to ask for someone if they are having trouble staying away from a drink. AA is a huge organization. There are over 2000 meetings in Connecticut every week.

FYI: The only requirement for membership to AA is the desire to stop drinking. There are different types of meetings held. Some are open meaning anyone may attend, others are closed and only alcoholics may attend. The "Big Book" of AA describes how AA was founded and outlines the twelve steps and twelve traditions. It is excellent to read even if you do not have an issue with substance abuse; there is much wisdom regarding how to deal with life in its pages.
This is a great post. I agree 100% about the Big Book. I wish I had discovered the philisophy and spiritual grounding of AA before I started drinking :oops:

Medikit said:
I don't know, I learned about it in high school from my brother who was in Jr. High. Apparently 69 and 420 are extremely important numbers in Jr. High and are meant to be inserted into any and all numerical answers, for example: In what year did Columbus discover America? 14...69!!!! When did Mohammed travel from Medina to Mecca? 420!!! I missed it because I am quite the nerd.
sounds like immature middle schoolers :thumbdown:

MadameLULU said:
:rolleyes: Yeah, it was, but obviously you can't take a joke. You really need to lighten up.
if it was from someone else i would have laughed but i know you hate me and always harrass me so i figured you were serious. and i went along with it and agreed that i lived a sheltered life and only was annoyed when you said I had the snotty attitude when it was obvious that it was you who did. :smuggrin:

beanbean said:

yea i heard it on a cruise ship listed in the program; that's when i found out what it meant...otherwise i'd be living an even more sheltered life :oops:

I'm in recovery. Do a search and you will find a few threads of others in recovery as well.

I cant really say I was ever an 'alcoholic', but I when I did drink, I would never realize my limit. As a rule, Ive more or less quit drinking last september. I have gotten drunk maybe 2-3 times since then, but that was barely even a buzz for the most part.

It sucks cuz my friends try to get me to drink. Usually I have one or 2 shots, which barely do anything to me, and then I act like im really wasted so that they leave me alone. And apparently I do a good job. People tell me I look high/drunk 24/7, even wehn Im completely sober. I dont know if thats a good thing tho...

prazmatic said:
I cant really say I was ever an 'alcoholic', but I when I did drink, I would never realize my limit. As a rule, Ive more or less quit drinking last september. I have gotten drunk maybe 2-3 times since then, but that was barely even a buzz for the most part.

It sucks cuz my friends try to get me to drink. Usually I have one or 2 shots, which barely do anything to me, and then I act like im really wasted so that they leave me alone. And apparently I do a good job. People tell me I look high/drunk 24/7, even wehn Im completely sober. I dont know if thats a good thing tho...
whereas that might be a reputation you want in college, once you hit the professional world, i'm not sure that's what i'd want people saying about me. Why can't people respect you for not getting drunk?

Pammie220 said:
i was hoping anyone reading this thread could give me some advice, i used to have a serious drug problem in highschool and i managed to go to rehab (kick heroin) and take off a year before college, get clean and was involved in 'the program' for many years. i have been off of hard drugs for almost seven years now.

i'm considering mentioning my addiction in my personal statement because while it wasn't the reason i decided to go into medicine it was a huge thing in my life that i had to overcome and has made me who i am today. i feel like it could make me stand out somewhat and i could turn it into a strength however i do have some concerns.

first of all, while i am still 'clean' i am no longer in the program and do drink on occasion. i have nothing against aa/na, it is certainly the reason i got clean however overtime i felt the program was no longer for me. i don't know if that looks bad. also i am scared that because being a doctor involves being around drugs and there is always the danger of relapse that i might be considered high risk. i have thought about this in great deal and while it is a concern for me i am confident that it will not be a problem however i don't want to be stigmatized. i could easily not mention my addiction at all but reading other posts got me thinking that perhaps it could end up helping me but i want to be sure before i include it. does anyone have advice please?

If I were you, I wouldn't mention it in my personal statement. You never know what kind of people you're going to have reading your PS. On one hand, you could have a reader who realizes what it takes to overcome such a dreadful addiction and it could greatly benefit you. But at the same time, you could have someone who views addiction as something you never get over. It could help you, but at the same time, it could really hurt you. I would leave it out.

I would avoid mentioning addiction in your personal statement unless your experience is important in why you have chosen medicine in a career. I think this is particularly true if you are no longer active in a program and do consume alcohol. Many people view addiction as a disease with an all or nothing recovery...you are either sober and completely abstain from any mind-altering or intoxicating substances or you are still active. I can't think of any good that would come from describing your sustance use and abuse in your personal statement in this situation. Congrats on 7 yrs away from heroin. Keep a close eye on your sobriety and if you feel you are substituting alcohol or any other substance into your addiction...get back into meetings. Med school is very stressful and there will be temptations.

Psycho Doctor said:
if it was from someone else i would have laughed but i know you hate me and always harrass me so i figured you were serious. and i went along with it and agreed that i lived a sheltered life and only was annoyed when you said I had the snotty attitude when it was obvious that it was you who did. :smuggrin:

WoW, aren't you a bit dramatic. I hate you? Nope, don't hate anyone on SDN. I've harrassed you? Okay, I don't know why you'd think that. I've started ignoring what you have to say.
I think you are mistaken, when I wrote [/snotty attitude], I was referring to myself, not you.

hey most Americans are addicted to sugar (refined white type). you want to try something hard, try cutting all refined sugar and sugar substitutes out of your diet. Or at least keep your intake to less that 100 cal a day.... I know, I know call me a weenie but it honestly is a very addictive substance. Do a google on it.

I've been doing this for almost 6 months and it was very hard to do at first. It is amazing how much it is present in our lives. I had massive cravings, depression, lethargy, and a very very short fuse for about 6 weeks. The result is worth it though...weight loss and improved concentration are the most outwardly noticeable, but improved digestion is what keeps me on it...

my 2 cent

bob

Oh, and I can confirm that there is definitely a crew of very hard parties at least 2 of the top 10 medical schools. I roomed with one of them while I was a UG, and date a girl who was one while in graduate school. From what I've seen drinking is the big one (2-3 nights a week), but pot, coke and E were up there too (this was 4-5 years ago so the E might have died down somewhat)
I think this mirrors the greater population at large.