This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpockets2332

Reaction score
Recently, I received an IA for being intoxicated and walking into the wrong room on my residence hall floor. I was given disciplinary probation for 2 months. Although I am a freshman currently, I know I will have to report this on medical school applications. I just wanted to know how badly this would hurt my chances. I know that getting into any medical school is an achievement in its own right, but do I still possess a chance of getting into the top medical school programs? I currently go to a T20 undergraduate institution if that makes any difference at all. I appreciate any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently, I received an IA for being intoxicated and walking into the wrong room on my residence hall floor. I was given disciplinary probation for 2 months. Although I am a freshman currently, I know I will have to report this on medical school applications. I just wanted to know how badly this would hurt my chances. I know that getting into any medical school is an achievement in its own right, but do I still possess a chance of getting into the top medical school programs? I currently go to a T20 undergraduate institution if that makes any difference at all. I appreciate any and all help.
To state the obvious: no more underage drinking (I'm assuming you're a traditional student) and don't get in any more trouble. When in doubt, err on the side of caution. Once you are over the legal drinking age: drink responsibly or not at all. If this is the only blemish on your application, you will likely be fine. Can you volunteer to talk with incoming freshmen about the importance of adhering to these rules and the consequences of irresponsible drinking?

Reactions: 4 users
Why would a school even do this? If you got into a fight while drunk or damaged property I could see but walking into the wrong room is grounds for an IA? you'll be fine just don't do it again

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You got an IA for that? That sounds like an average Tuesday afternoon at my undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
You got an IA for that? That sounds like an average Tuesday afternoon at my undergrad.
Yeah I would think it was funny if some drunk person stumbled into my dorm if they weren't aggressive or anything. Putting a permanent mark on one's record for doing something alot of undergrads do seems a bit too controlling. They're treating these students like high schoolers when they're adults.

Yeah I would think it was funny if some drunk person stumbled into my dorm if they weren't aggressive or anything. Putting a permanent mark on one's record for doing something alot of undergrads do seems a bit too controlling. They're treating these students like high schoolers when they're adults.
Not everyone thinks its funny. My ex bf was very upset when he wandered into a single woman's apartment, left, fell asleep in his car, and the woman called the cops because she felt unsafe and they later found him in the parking lot and he got a charge for trespassing.

My point being don't expect people to know what you're up to. I pointed out to him, how if this was really a one time accident and not a concerning pattern of behavior, then he could expect to move forward in life. He did. OTOH, ignoring a string of these behaviors is exactly how the early careers of sexual predators, burglars, and killers gets missed. Or, tracking this kind of thing is exactly part of how they end up being caught, they have a record of this kind of thing.

No one knows when starting your record where it will go. That's up to the individual.

But it isn't up to whoever's home you've invaded drunk, to have to give you the benefit of the doubt. People have to understand why this may not be taken as funny by everyone and no one is obligated to find it as such.

OP you'll probably be fine, but I always get annoyed by people's focus on getting into a top medical school. Worry about keeping your nose clean, do the best you can, and accept that getting into an average medical school to be an average MD is a Herculean feat for pretty much anyone, and most docs have to accept being average in this way.

Reactions: 8 users
We were all young and stupid once, so an infraction like this when you're a FR won't hurt. Just own it.

Just don't **** up anymore.

To state the obvious: no more underage drinking (I'm assuming you're a traditional student) and don't get in any more trouble. When in doubt, err on the side of caution. Once you are over the legal drinking age: drink responsibly or not at all. If this is the only blemish on your application, you will likely be fine. Can you volunteer to talk with incoming freshmen about the importance of adhering to these rules and the consequences of irresponsible drinking?
I can look for volunteer opportunities similar to what you suggested. Do you think it's necessary to actively seek those types of opportunities from now until I apply for medical school?

OP you'll probably be fine, but I always get annoyed by people's focus on getting into a top medical school. Worry about keeping your nose clean, do the best you can, and accept that getting into an average medical school to be an average MD is a Herculean feat for pretty much anyone, and most docs have to accept being average in this way.
I mean, different people, different goals. I turned down a BS/MD program (8 year) for undergrad because I was never really worried about getting into med school, just which med school I would go to. I always learned to aim high and strive for the best, not settle for average. And if the best I can do is average, then so be it. When I almost got an IA, my question was the same as OP.

Last edited:
I can look for volunteer opportunities similar to what you suggested. Do you think it's necessary to actively seek those types of opportunities from now until I apply for medical school?
For an IA like this, just the tincture of time and a short statement of remorse should be sufficient; many applicants with similar offenses get in without other actions. So no, you do not need to actively seek out opportunities to educate others on alcohol-related offenses. However, this is a easy way for you to control your narrative and to actively demonstrate ownership and growth from this incident. Your education may also prevent another freshman from becoming intoxicated and unintentionally harming themselves or others in the process. It's a win-win in my opinion. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users
I mean, different people, different goals. I turned down a BS/MD program (8 year) for undergrad because I was never really worried about getting into med school, just which med school I would go to. I always learned to aim high and strive for the best, not settle for average. And if the best I can do is average, then so be it. When I almost got an IA, my question was the same as OP.
Well, they did get an IA. I don't see that helping create a situation where they can expect to get into a T20 school. I guess it could still happen.

The point is that the journey is so unbelievably long, and so many things can happen, it's best to just focus on what you can actually control and just do your best, whatever that means for an individual.

In general there is too much focus on prestige and rankings and the like, especially for people who have literally just started college and this journey.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, they did get an IA. I don't see that helping create a situation where they can expect to get into a T20 school. I guess it could still happen.

The point is that the journey is so unbelievably long, and so many things can happen, it's best to just focus on what you can actually control and just do your best, whatever that means for an individual.

In general there is too much focus on prestige and rankings and the like, especially for people who have literally just started college and this journey.
Freshman year alc IAs seem to be rather minor from what I can tell on this site, so shouldn't really be much of a problem.

But yea, you're right. I had a friend try to do a double major and a ton of ECs to make a top school when she was already in a BS MD program and she ended up with low enough grades to get kicked out of the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Proudfather94 and @doomer_md you are minimizing the impact something like this could have. Not so much on the guy who did it unintentionally, but on the person whose room was entered. I know of a few incidents where the "wrong" room was a girl's dorm room, and the intruder either climbed into her bed or groped her in the dark while trying to get into bed. A girl whose only mistake was forgetting to lock her dorm door could have trouble getting past this.
@hotpockets2332 this conduct infraction is a wake-up call that your drinking is not in control.

Reactions: 3 users
@Proudfather94 and @doomer_md you are minimizing the impact something like this could have. Not so much on the guy who did it unintentionally, but on the person whose room was entered. I know of a few incidents where the "wrong" room was a girl's dorm room, and the intruder either climbed into her bed or groped her in the dark while trying to get into bed. A girl whose only mistake was forgetting to lock her dorm door could have trouble getting past this.
@hotpockets2332 this conduct infraction is a wake-up call that your drinking is not in control.
That would be horrible! I definitely see your point and change my opinion.

yea this type of stuff is usually only funny (and not always even then) when it's male-male or female-female. At my uni, one of my friends walked into his room drunk, slept, woke up 4 hours later, realized it wasn't his room, and left. He then walked into his actual room and found some guy sleeping there, LOL.

I completely understand your point. In this case it was another male’s room. I just walked in and walked out.

I completely understand your point. In this case it was another male’s room. I just walked in and walked out.
What does your IA actually say? Only that you were caught drunk, or does it mention trespassing? Cause the two combined might be a bit worse than just being drunk.

What does your IA actually say? Only that you were caught drunk, or does it mention trespassing? Cause the two combined might be a bit worse than just being drunk.
I’m not too sure but wouldn’t I have to mention me walking into someone’s room by accident regardless.

I’m not too sure but wouldn’t I have to mention me walking into someone’s room by accident regardless.
Not really. If it isn't documented then I don't see how or why you'd need to go into that level of detail.

Never offer up more damaging information than you really need to.

If I was asked abou the incident and why I got caught drunk and got an IA, I might just say I drank more than I should have and then was wandering around the dorm hall and was stopped.

This isn't a false statement, clearly you had to be wandering the halls drunk to even stumble into the wrong room.

Yea lol, def don't volunteer information you don't need to. Find out exactly what the IA says and omit whatever doesn't cast you in the best light possible given its wording.

What did the "write up" say that you did? Report that. Full stop. State that you received two months of whatever it was. Add one more sentence about what you learned. (e.g. that alcohol's effects can cloud one's judgement and damage one's coordination and that moderation, after age 21, is key.) That's all you need. As mentioned above, keep it to just the facts. If you are interviewed, it is unlikely that you'll be quizzed about this... there should be far more interesting things about your application to ask about.

Reactions: 3 users
What did the "write up" say that you did? Report that. Full stop. State that you received two months of whatever it was. Add one more sentence about what you learned. (e.g. that alcohol's effects can cloud one's judgement and damage one's coordination and that moderation, after age 21, is key.) That's all you need. As mentioned above, keep it to just the facts. If you are interviewed, it is unlikely that you'll be quizzed about this... there should be far more interesting things about your application to ask about.
Thank you, I will do just that. In your opinion, how exactly would admissions view this? Should I be lowering my expectations significantly come time to apply? Should I be actively trying to make up for this by significantly improving other parts of my application? I ask this since someone mentioned earlier that I do not stand a chance at the top medical schools with this infraction.

Thank you, I will do just that. In your opinion, how exactly would admissions view this? Should I be lowering my expectations significantly come time to apply? Should I be actively trying to make up for this by significantly improving other parts of my application? I ask this since someone mentioned earlier that I do not stand a chance at the top medical schools with this infraction.
just look through sdn at past posts. This particular IA is extremely common and would be a minor dent in your app most likely.

I've not seen a situation of one underage drinking infraction derail anyone who was otherwise a strong applicant. Be a strong applicant and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.