Any rejections after WVSOM interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gamble

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up for WVSOM, and was wodering what are my chances of getting accepted from here on if i dont screw up the interview with my stats of 3.6 and 27O. Also, any advice on how to prepare for the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you have a great chance of acceptance. I interviewed in November with a 32Q/3.24 and got an acceptance. The interview was very nice and they really cared. Giving up my WVSOM acceptance was tough. Don't dig yourself into a hole during the interview and make sure you listen to them... they have a lot of good stuff to say!

Oh and read the interview section of SDN. Mine is posted up there as well.

Best of luck!

I'd say you have a great chance of acceptance. I interviewed in November with a 32Q/3.24 and got an acceptance. The interview was very nice and they really cared. Giving up my WVSOM acceptance was tough. Don't dig yourself into a hole during the interview and make sure you listen to them... they have a lot of good stuff to say!

Oh and read the interview section of SDN. Mine is posted up there as well.

Best of luck!

Of all the DO schools I interviewed at I felt that DMU and WVSOM had the most professional interviews. At WVSOM they really read my apps and essays carefully and we had a great discussion. Remember they are an estalished medical school and pride themselves on that as they should. WVSOM is a great school with a great campus. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview at WVSOM is extremely laid back. All of the people are really nice and are really rooting for you. In preparation I would just tell you to read your application again thoroughly..they will read your app carefully and asked questions based on your experiences etc. The school has awesome facilities and it's definitely somewhere I wouldn't mind going...being that they have my $2,000 deposit I must say they are my top choice unless PCOM decides to let me in..I interview there in Novmber. GOOD LUCK! :D

I think with your stats you have an excellent chance. Just relax and enjoy the interview. Good luck!:luck: :D

I have an interview coming up for WVSOM, and was wodering what are my chances of getting accepted from here on if i dont screw up the interview with my stats of 3.6 and 27O. Also, any advice on how to prepare for the interview?

Do MCAT and GPA matter in getting into an osteopathic school? ABSOLUTELY. However, applicants make the mistake that just having good grades and scores are all that you need. There is more to the person than just grades. There are things like extracurricular activities, volunteer work, personality… all of these things are looked at.

Realistically, there is more to an undergrad student than studying. There are clubs, activities, fund-raisers, helping with blood drives, hobbies (what you do to vent-off stress), etc. Ok, so you can add and multiply (I know, a little cynical here…), show me what else there is to you… at the same time, be yourself, be real. People can spot a phony.

Think about it... book knowledge without a heart equals a lousy doc. Maybe they are overexalted on House M.D., but who wants to see a doc with the personality of a dial tone, especially if there are other equally-qualified ones that show excellent bedside manner and compassion?

Furthermore, in med school, you work together as a team. Others may know material that you don’t, and vice versa. You may have a bad day… others are there to cheer you up and keep you focused. We have study groups. We are all going through this together. We are a family.

What destroys the fabric of a med school family are those “gunners” out there that are only looking out for themselves. … Those selfish ones that will hoard all of the materials to themselves, but willingly accept material from others. … Those who are more concerned about being #1 than working together with others. … The limelighters that will show-off at others’ expense. They fail to recognize that although they step on others to climb up the ladder, once they reach the top, those same individuals that they treated like trash are oftentimes their boss… ahhh, karma… Those are the applicants that you wouldn’t want getting in…

Part of osteopathy is having that “heart”… it is more than just picking-up a book and passing a test. It involves listening to the patient and understanding their point of view. It's been said that 90% of getting to a diagnosis is listening to the patient history. Many with the "booksmarts only" will miss important clues because they are, quite frankly, bored with the conversation and just waiting for the chit-chat to end so that they can give a script and move-on. Communication and listening are necessary skills...

Too often, people get locked into the perspective of that grades are all that matter… from my conversations with MANY med students, both allopathic and osteopathic, this is frequently due to misinformed pre-med advisors that seem to be just holding a committee position because they are required to. They might have understood what it took to for them to get their Ph.D., but medicine is different, and they don't take the time to learn that, or they are getting bad intel from somewhere.

WVSOM was my 4th school that accepted me. Two were allopathic: one an ivy-league, one a “normal” school that was heavy on research. The other school was an osteopathic in a city environment. I picked WVSOM, and I’m very satisfied with my choice.

If you’ve got any other questions about the school, feel free to IM me… I’m normally on throughout the day.

“The Don”