Any SDNers applying to summer research programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixenell

don't stop me now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to who else might of applied. I'm anxiously awaiting decisions (and i just found out that my RA training will interfere with 3/4 that I applied to).

I applied to WashU, Yale, Cornell's Tri-Inst, and Harvard's programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, it feels good to have that part behind me :D

OK, seriously now, I'm a graduating senior so I'm not going to be doing a summer research program, but I did one every summer during my undergraduate years (damn that sounds grand when I say it like that ;) ). Two summers at UConn, and last summer at Yale. I loved all of them. Yale was cool.

Also, I will be doing a summer rotation at whichever school I end up for the MD/PhD program. Basically it will be either WashU or Yale (if I got in, it would be a tough call). So, who knows, maybe we'll be there together :D

Anyway, good luck, all those are awesome programs.
Keep us posted ;)

I sure am. I applied to six of them, so I am just waiting for the envelope. I will let you know when I hear the news. Yale does have a kick @zz program, soo many people apply there every summer.

Surge,
How did you like it there last summer? Who did you work with?

Keep me posted everyone

Good luck:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved Yale.

I'll be honest, though - it was hardcore. Actually, I've never been thru anything like it before, and I've done some serious research. But, I don't want to scare anybody away - 90% of it was the particular lab I was in. Dr. Sherwin in Endocrinology. Phenomenal guy.

They treated me like a postdoc. Needless to say, they had corresponding expectations.
It was almost a bit overwhelming at first, but I got on top of it, and it resulted in one of the most valuable and productive time periods of my life, both professionally and personally.

So I'm biased, but I love Yale :D

I just found out that I got into the Gateways Tri-Institutional program (which was initially my first choice).

Now I'm hoping to hear from the others before I have to decide.

Congratulations!!! :clap:

I know the Tri-institutional program is very competitive - great job!

Originally posted by vixenell
I just found out that I got into the Gateways Tri-Institutional program (which was initially my first choice).

Now I'm hoping to hear from the others before I have to decide.

Congrats, it's a great program:love: My friend went last year and abolutely loved it, a nice clinical component as well as bench research!! Top program.

I agree, why don't they all tell you at the same time, this waiting game is a killer+pissed+ If you get accpeted to one, do you accept or wait to find out about the other programs first? Hmmm...I don't know what I'm going to do when I apply next year, I'm allready tired of stalking my mailman:laugh: lol.

Yale said they have a wait-list and rounds, wow! Just like real admissions:( I didn't realize that soo many people applied there, ohh well.

Surge, did you go under the bio-step program or mmep? Or was it the Leadership Alliance? Thanx for the info.

Keep us posted on what other schools you get, ok..and congrats:clap:

exigente chica

For the love of salsa! Will you please clean out your PMs? :smuggrin: :p

A big fat "NO" from Harvard SHURP. Oh well. I'm 100% sure I want to do the Gateway program, so I'll confirm it tomorrow.

Originally posted by isidella
exigente chica

For the love of salsa! Will you please clean out your PMs? :smuggrin: :p

I will, lol:laugh: I cleaned them out, but it still says full? What should I do now?:confused: Isd you are too cute:laugh:

Aight, so I just checked my e mail and Guess who got into the program at Carneige Melon, me...yeah:clap: :clap:

One down and five to go:eek:

Originally posted by exigente chica
Aight, so I just checked my e mail and Guess who got into the program at Carneige Melon, me...yeah:clap: :clap:

One down and five to go:eek:

Congrats!

"No" Number 2 from WashU. I expect the same from Yale.

Geez, I'm glad i got the "yes" first.

I've never been rejected before though, so its time, i guess. Makes decisions easier, anyway. The constant rejection is a nice warm up the application cycle in three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow!!! I had such a great day today..

So, I went to the mailbox to get my magazine and guess what was in there, a thin envelope from Dartmouth. I was like ohh well, because I just sent my application last week, I knew it was bad news. I open it and it reads congrats.....wow:eek:

So, I went to check my e mail to get a phone number and damm, there was a e mail from Tufts and I'm In!:clap: I don't even know what to say..I am soo excited:laugh: :clap: :laugh:

Ok, back to work..Yale is taking a long time, but I don't even care nemore..these schools rock:clap:

Congrats again!

Congrats again!

Thanx...still waiting for Yale and Pepperdine..man...hello..all the schools want an answer by Monday, what to do?? Accept and pull out later, or just wait. I don't want to end up with nothing? Hmmm:confused:

Vixnell, here from any other schools yet? Let me know.

I'm just "waiting" on Yale, but I've already told cornell/rockefeller/sloan-kettering yes, so no worries. I'm just relieved that i got into that one!

Vixnell,
Did you apply to the bio-step program, surf or leadership alliance. I know that my friend heard from surf last week by e mail, the other two, I haven't heard anything from yet?? Guess we still have to wait, u know??:confused: Mann,

I will accept TUFTS tommorow and just wait for the other ones, they have a great program!!

I applied BioStep.

Vixnell,
I applied to the same program as well, it seemed very organized and good:D

I called the lady today and she was not the nicest thing on the phone, hope she was just having a bad day or something:confused: Ne how she said that acceptance and rejection letters were sent out on Friday and that we should find out this week! Ok..

Whatever, I am soo tired of waiting for them now...the program you were accepted into is great!! HAve fun there, I accepted TUFTS so I will be living it up in Boston this summer and there are some great spanish clubs:love:

Got my letter from Yale today... waitlisted.

It's ok vixnell, my friend also got waitlisted, I still haven't gotten my letter yet, but I'm sure it's not good news..:rolleyes:

Pepperdine said I made it to the top round of finalist, I was number 7 and they only accepted 5 people!! Wow. only 5 out of 280...geez..they said they didn't have that much funding, I guess not.

I will let u know, ok.

Hey, both of you guys - CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:

As you know, SURF programs at top schools are ridiculously competitive.

Spending a summer in NYC and Boston will be absolutely amazing. Great job!

And, I just realized you asked me a question a while ago. Anyway, my story was that I wanted to work specifically with this one guy (mentioned him, Dr. Sherwin). So I emailed him (out of the blue), told him who I was, that I heard about his research and that I would love to work with him. I couldn't apply to BioStep (not a US citizen, plus a white guy) or MMEP (they do no research), but he was great and told me he would just pay me out of his own pocket. I ended up applying for a grant from the American Diabetes Association with him, and, as I said, it worked out great.

I think these SURFs are awesome. You really get to learn a lot, but it's so much fun, too. And you always get to meet awesome people (I'm still in touch with some kids I met who were doing BioStep or MMEP). Not to mention that medschools absolutely love it, and recruit heavily from SURFs.

I'm definately stoked about spending the summer in NYC... I'm lucky that I got into that because this is my first year of college... I have at least two more summers to look forward to.

I'm definately stoked about spending the summer in NYC... I'm lucky that I got into that because this is my first year of college... I have at least two more summers to look forward to.

And you should be, that is a very hard program to get into one, and 2 the reason your a freshman is probally why some schools didn't accept you..which is better than becasue you weren't good enough..u know..always look at the bright side..

I'm sure next summer the accpetance letters will be pouring in after having some experience under your belt..

congrats again and have fun in NYC..keep in touch over the summer, ok:clap:

Originally posted by surge
Hey, both of you guys - CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:

As you know, SURF programs at top schools are ridiculously competitive.

Spending a summer in NYC and Boston will be absolutely amazing. Great job!

I think these SURFs are awesome. You really get to learn a lot, but it's so much fun, too. And you always get to meet awesome people (I'm still in touch with some kids I met who were doing BioStep or MMEP). Not to mention that medschools absolutely love it, and recruit heavily from SURFs.

Thanx surge!! I am excited to explore Boston and meet some cool people! Mine starts in June..so I get to relax in May and August..yeah...:clap:

Originally posted by exigente chica
the reason your a freshman is probally why some schools didn't accept you..which is better than becasue you weren't good enough..u know..always look at the bright side..

heh... thats definately a good way to think about it... :D

kind of unrelated (ok, definately unrelated)... i just registered for next semester... looks like hell: ochem, genetics, mechanics(phys), enviro toxicology, and... fencing. All on top of being RA. Being a BMB major bites at times, but i finished most of my gen eds in this year. Luckily, i usually do best when I'm challenged...

::sigh:: wish me luck.

heh... thats definately a good way to think about it... :D

kind of unrelated (ok, definately unrelated)... i just registered for next semester... looks like hell: ochem, genetics, mechanics(phys), enviro toxicology, and... fencing. All on top of being RA. Being a BMB major bites at times, but i finished most of my gen eds in this year. Luckily, i usually do best when I'm challenged...

::sigh:: wish me luck.

What year are you in Vixenell? Why am I asking? Currently I am a budding sophomore (this is my third semester), and some of those those summer research progs just rejected me because they were after rising juniors and seniors (e .g. WashU, Baylor), some accepted me. But those rejections just perplexed me because I believe I am qualified, or maybe those published juniors and seniors just blew the "helpful" sophomore out of the way. PM me if you wish so we can talk.

I'm a freshman... I attempted to steer clear of the programs that were looking for juniors & seniors.... some mentioned it right out, but some i had to go based on whether there was a freshman box on the app. I don't have an ungodly gpa (just over 3.4), I go to a small unknown women's liberal arts school in the middle of hell-and-gone nowhere, I was only enrolled in one science course last semester (which i'm more than making up for this semester and next) and the extent of my research experience thus far has been a two-week project at ECU my senior year at NC School of Sci & Math. But hey, if its good enough for Gateways, its good enough for me.

There are several programs that I really wanted to do... Mayo and Rockefeller's SURF programs are definately at the top of my list, since these are my top PhD or MD/PhD (yes, I'm still torn between these two paths) choices thus far but they only accept sophomores +.

Where were you accepted Nuel?

Where were you accepted Nuel? [/B][/QUOTE]
ok vixenell
So far Duq Uni, UniAlabama (still waiting on Rochester, Albany Neuro, and UTSouthwestern). I have enough science courses--Prin of Bio courses I &II, and Microbio. Cleared all the Gen chemistry, taking inorganic this semester, for math still multivariable calc and diff eqn to clear, hopefully in the next two semesters, cleared all physics, done 2 non-science courses, but will be doing about 3 next semester with ochem, multi calc, and some bio course to cap, been involved in a small scale project, isolating Taq enzyme and doing some microbial stuff utilizing PCR, enzyme cloning, gels, but the goal of this work was not to publish anything, just trying to apply some molecular techniques to simple things, but if funding comes we hope to take it to a "true" level, and if things go well, work might have more pep and be more interesting for discussion at the "hopeful interviews", I go to a small black college). And as you said, Baylor 'n' WashU are at the top of my list, but was rejected... and my young age again [kinda ahead of my class, I hope that was not also a disadvantage], I will apply again next year. My GPA is like 3.9 something.

Nuel, any news from those other schools yet?

Geez, I didn't even know summer programs existed for MSTP wannabes. I found myself labs to work in during the summers. Spent last summer at the Sanger Institute in the UK, but this summer I'll be at WashU and interning with the Red Cross. If you come to STL this summer, whether or not you like jazz, check out the jazz clubs.