Any thoughts on MCP Hahnemann

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpepper

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please share your thoughts on MCP. It is the only school I have been accepted to as of yet and there is a chance I might go. I liked Philadelphia, but not the immediate area so much. I am also concerned about it's reputation...I tell people that I might be going there and they respond in a way that I find hard to read. Help, please!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to MCP, but I interviewed there, and I'm from greater Philly area. As I'm sure you're well aware, MCP has been having financial problems. Over the past year or two they underwent a total reorganization. The Tenet corporation (which you may remember from that other illustrious institution, SLU) now owns a large chunk of the clinical operation. MCP also has new financial and academic ties with Drexel University. In general, economic shake-ups like the one MCP is experiencing are NOT a good thing, but I'm not sure how extensively it can affect you as a student. If MCP was my only choice, I definitely wouldn't let the situation prevent me from going there.

One thing you should also know: they added quite a number of students to their incoming class, ostensibly to generate revenue. Some of their academic facilities were extensively renovated/upgraded to compensate (lecture halls, technology), so the increased class size may not be such a bad thing.

Reputation? P=MD=MCP. It's a top 50 medical school, if you ask me. The big question is how do you like Philly? It's not the best town for safety or beauty, but it's true what they say: it's the last big city that feels like a small town. All that "city of brotherly love" stuff is in some way accurate (at least in my opinion)!

[This message has been edited by ned (edited 02-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ned (edited 02-26-2001).]

Ned gives an accurate assessment. If MCP added more students, it had to have the blessing of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, else it would have lost its accreditation.

If you go, graduate, pass your USLME exams, you will be a licensed physician. How good a physician you are depends more on your own skills than on where you went to medical school.

Do you always ask your own physician where he/she went to medical school and did his/her residency before signing on? And if they tell you, then what do you know beyond that?

I really like MCPHU. This year I've been fortunate to interview at many schools throughout the country and the vibe that MCPHU gave me was of a school with very happy and dedicated medical students who attend a school that really appreciates them. I think that overlooking them based on past financial difficulties would be a mistake. As an incoming student I am more concerned about the quality of my education, than how much money a medical school turns in revenue while I am in attendance there. Besides from the information that I have received, there is no danger of MCPHU needing to close its doors because of its financial difficulties.