Any uplifting thoughts/brutal honesty to give?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is hopefully my last post on this topic... sorry.

I am STILL waiting for LECOM to send me my acceptance/rejection. I interviewed on 9/29 and my application was complete on 10/26. Does this seem like I should just be preparing for rejection? They said it would be here last week, but it still isn't. This has been my only interview so far and I am so worried now that all hope is out the window.

I called them to see if they could send out another letter in case it was lost in the mail, but I haven't heard back from them. I am going to try calling again today or tomorrow. I have been so patient these past 8 weeks (well my app has been only complete since the end of October, but still).

Anyone else waiting like me? Any thoughts on this from anyone? :(

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering what were your stats? It seems plenty of people have received notice already?

rack said:
just wondering what were your stats? It seems plenty of people have received notice already?

3.3, 3.2 and a lower MCAT we'll say. But nothing that different than a couple people I interviewed with. The interview went awesome. Thank you notes went out. As in my many posts, I want to go to LECOM so I sent them LOI.

I don't think the lower MCAT will kill me. I am full of ECs, had great LORs, and rest of my application. Maybe the letter did get lost (hopeful thinking) or maybe I am in the rejection pile...

But if they say they sent it out over a week ago, I should have recieved notice just as everyone else. At least I would think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no idea if you got accepted/waitlisted/rejected..but do you have a plan B???
If so..prepare yourself just in case you need to go that route...best of luck

If everyone went well and you interviewed early, there should be no reason to really be afraid. Give it another week of waiting for the mail, and then try requesting the information again. The admissions office there is very undermanned right now, and is probably not at the peak of their organization. Best wishes.

Jezzielin I was told that the admissions committy meets on wednesdays. I also have noticed that it has been taking up to 5 weeks to get a letter. So if your application wasn't complete until 10/26 it might be the first week in December before you find out, as should I. Best of Luck hope to see you there.

motox said:
Jezzielin I was told that the admissions committy meets on wednesdays. I also have noticed that it has been taking up to 5 weeks to get a letter. So if your application wasn't complete until 10/26 it might be the first week in December before you find out, as should I. Best of Luck hope to see you there.

I am just confused b/c they said they sent it.

Very good chance that it is lost in the mail. But then again, not everyone who interviews gets accepted. Keep the faith, it might be on its way.

Jezzielin said:
I am just confused b/c they said they sent it.

My friend, if you have interviewed and are awaiting a response, you are in a good place, though I definitely empathize with your concerns. ;)

With your stats, you'll be fine. Take a breather and try to put it out of your mind.

Kind Regards,
Gray

I appreciate this support. It seems that this is all I post about and I am sorry, but I do appeciate any and all responses.

I hope this all works out but I know that I will want to help out everyone else, like you all are helping me...

This is hopefully the most stressed I will be in a while... lol :laugh:

I do not know your MCAT score, but if it is close to their average, you should be fine. What kind of ECs did you have? Are you still in college?

FrogE7 said:
I do not know your MCAT score, but if it is close to their average, you should be fine. What kind of ECs did you have? Are you still in college?

Yea, I am still in college, almost done!!! Here is a quick summary of my ECs and stuff like that.

*I have volunteered for many years in multiple departments at 3 different hospitals (moving from home to school each year caused me to volunteer at multiple places).

*I have shadowed physicians in many fields: IM, ER, OB/GYN, surgery, FP, etc.

*I have been in clubs: pre-medical clubs (MD and DO), medical ethics club where I held a position of the PR Coordinator. I have done others, but many are small and non-medical related otherwise, but there are others.

*I have been part of many organizations: Fanconi Anemia Cancer Camp for kids. I did that for two years (so incredibly life changing), as well as working at my local Head Start organization.

*I have been a lifeguard for many years, certified in that, CPR, and First Aid and for fun I did a triathlon.

I think that is about it... :oops:

Keep the faith Jezzielin, and most importantly have faith in yourself. You'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to say that "no news is good news", but in the case of medical school admissions, pretty much all the rules are thrown out. I still haven't heard from NYCOM about LAST YEAR. Your stats, given that your MCAT is at least 23, look good for LECOM. Remember, their own website said that the average successful applicant had stats very very similar to yours. I agree with the others: Give it another week, then start calling. If they've rejected you, then it can't hurt to call, and if they've accepted you then they can't UN-accept you because you're calling to request info. Good luck! :luck:

Question: Why would an admissions committee invite me for an interview if they were going to reject me for my MCAT? They have already seen it, and they invited me anyway.

When I got in the interview they said, "You have made it past the numbers. Now we want to get to know you as a person to see if you are a good fit."

I just am scared for my MCAT but don't understand why they would reject me if they have already told me that I am "past the numbers".

Worried about my MCAT, I am dealing with the same thing at TCOM. I would like to believe that since I have interviewed there, surely they will not reject me because of my MCAT. But we all have to understand that interview does NOT equal acceptance.

Canuck99 said:
Worried about my MCAT, I am dealing with the same thing at TCOM. I would like to believe that since I have interviewed there, surely they will not reject me because of my MCAT. But we all have to understand that interview does NOT equal acceptance.

Agreed. Just b/c they told me I was past the stage, this is giving me hope. Schools can learn alot from a candidate from an interview and it can definately make or break you.

Did TCOM say anything about you being qualified and "past the numbers"? Or something like that?

i think worse case scenario you will be put on the alternate list..i dont think they will reject anyone this early...post-interview that is..so there is always a chance..keep the faith alive =)

Apply to vcom and pscom.

This is my third application cylce (and finally an acceptance!) At first I thought it was the end of the world when I didn't get accepted the first time around, but in the end it was all for the best. I worked for a year doing very non-academic stuff, then re-took orgo and now work as a medical assistant. my point is, if for some reason you were not accepted, don't let it be the end of your world....find a way to improve upon your application in the next year and be persistent. I feel like I've grown a lot in the past few years and am definitely more prepared for med school now. You just have to keep at it.

Thanks everyone for your help. I might give them one more day and then I might call them up.

Has anyone been rejected from LECOM? Have any rejections gone out?

With the holiday week I doubt if much will get done over at LECOM. Give it until the 1st week of December and then call. I'm sure there was just some mixup and your letter was either lost by USPS or never mailed in the first place. Don't panic yet!! :)

Jezzielin said:
Thanks everyone for your help. I might give them one more day and then I might call them up.

Has anyone been rejected from LECOM? Have any rejections gone out?

Call them again TODAY, if voice mail comes up, don't leave a message. It is ridiculous to make you wait that long especially for an applicant who has chosen this particular school as their 1st choice (they don't know that you haven't gone to any other interviews.) If the decision has been already made, which I believe it has, "pestering" them wouldn't matter one way or the other at this point.--they deserve it anyway for making you wait soo long. I got my acceptance 3 weeks after my interview--it is ridiculous as to why you still haven't heard anything especially after they told you it was sent out!!!!!

Raven Feather said:
I got my acceptance 3 weeks after my interview--it is ridiculous as to why you still haven't heard anything especially after they told you it was sent out!!!!!

Yeah, I called once and got no answer, I think I called when it was about lunchtime for them... I will be calling again today to see if they can send out a dupicate letter today.

I know it won't affect the decision, but I still feel bad for calling so much. But this has been a long time and I have been very patient with them thus far.:smuggrin:

How wonderful would that be to get the letter before Thanksgiving. Waiting to hear back from them in October gave me the scariest Halloween ever, but getting the letter this week would give me something to great to be thankful for!!! lol :oops:

I am sorry to say that I need some more thoughts. I called once more later this afternoon and she finally picked up. I was very polite and told her that I was told my letter was in the mail a week and a half ago and I was wondering that it might be lost and asked her to send me out another letter, just in case.

Well, she then informed me that NO letter had been sent out for me yet. NONE! I was mortified! I told her that I was told BY HER that a letter was sent out. She then told me that Elaine wouldn't be in the office till Monday and she could figure everything out for me then.

Great :( Another week. Do you guys think something is missing from my file? Something worse??? All my LORs are in, DO letter - these were faxed in to her and I later got a postcard saying my file is complete. I even emailed Elaine and called her and left messages with her secretary two days after my interview to confirm that she got the letters... But seeing the postcard saying my application is complete, she must have. Also, my MCAT scores are have been there for over 3 weeks.

Why has nothing been sent out? This sounds like it could mean something bad is going to happen... This is making me so frustrated I can't even find help from my family, so I had to (as always) post here, because you guys are the ****. :oops:

Any help?

Nothin' but love, Jezzielin

why should you be mortified? it's their goof. honestly, i have no clue what to think, but i'm wishing you the best of lust. :luck: i hope you can still have a nice thanksgiving without knowing.

I think they sent a bunch out just before tkxgvng. If you are waiting, like I was, then you are accepted.

atrovariousg said:
I think they sent a bunch out just before tkxgvng. If you are waiting, like I was, then you are accepted.

I wonder what day they mailed it out. Last Tuesday they said that nothing had been sent to me yet. Unless they mailed it out that day or Wednesday, I don't know.

How long had you waited? I have been since 10/26. Calling today, as they said they will FINALLY figure this out for me. :(

Canuck99 said:

Some schools will invite you to interview in the hopes that you will be able to adequately explain some deficiency in your application. If the explanation is not sufficient, you end up being rejected for a low GPA, bad grade, low MCAT, or whatever their concern was.

Also keep in mind that your interviewers only compose a portion of the entire adcom. Your entire file is reviewed at final decision time, and too many members may take issue with some academic aspect of your app regardless of how nice you were during the interview. The decision is the result of a meeting, and they do not only talk about your interview.

The numbers game isn't truly over until you're accepted.

This is like the billionish time that I have called and no one is answering! I leave messages with everyone, and NOTHING.

I thought I couldn't take this a month ago. But this is getting so much worse... :mad:

I am trying not to read too much into this but I just can't help it anymore. Something is most definately wrong. After calling last Tuesday (for anyone that interviewed at LECOM) a nice woman Elizabeth told me that Elaine would not be in until today.

So she said call back Monday (today) and we can figure it out. Welllll, she is not in today. I left a message with Elaine too, but I am really starting to get hopeless. I don't think I will hear back from her either.

I just wish it would, by some miracle, show up in my mailbox. I don't see anything that could be missing from my application. I know for some people it has taken longer than 4 weeks to hear back, but not many. I am just curious if they haven't even talked about me yet in the committee - gosh, so many thoughts are going through my head I just hope I can begin studying for finals....

I JUST GOT AHOLD OF THEM!!!! :D Tomorrow is the day I go tto the committee! I am overanalyzing overthing from my interview. I know I made great eye contact, very extremely personable and above all - I was myself. :)

I did drop one point on my MCAT, but went up significantly in writing (whether that means anything or not). And I believe that is the only thing holding me back... I hope. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my annoying posts on this are almost over everyone! D-day is tomorrow :scared:

Jezzielin said:
I JUST GOT AHOLD OF THEM!!!! :D Tomorrow is the day I go tto the committee! I am overanalyzing overthing from my interview. I know I made great eye contact, very extremely personable and above all - I was myself. :)

I did drop one point on my MCAT, but went up significantly in writing (whether that means anything or not). And I believe that is the only thing holding me back... I hope. :rolleyes:

Anyway, my annoying posts on this are almost over everyone! D-day is tomorrow :scared:

Your posts aren't annoying. If we could collect a nickel from everyone on SDN who was the slightest bit obsessive, we'd all be fantastically rich! Anyway good luck this week to you! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Jezzielin said:

Hang in there! I have my fingers crossed! Good luck :thumbup:

Does anyone know who sits on the committee panel at LECOM-Erie? Any LECOMers out there?