Anybody else feels crappy after reading SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like ice cream. I also like SDN. But SDN flavored ice cream? HELL NO

(Licks SDN flavored ice cream)

Hmm...I can taste pessimism, perfectionism, and neuroticism. It doesn't taste tooo bad...

Actually wait...the neuroticism just completely overpowers it you're right...I'll stick with vanilla.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Licks SDN flavored ice cream)

Hmm...I can taste pessimism, perfectionism, and neuroticism. It doesn't taste tooo bad...

Actually wait...the neuroticism just completely overpowers it you're right...I'll stick with vanilla.

I told ya so!

This post is my new favorite post out of all the posts ever posted. Bravo.

I am honored! If I am 1/10 as successful as you in the med school application process, it will be a great success!

I honestly get the opposite feeling, after visiting this site. Many of the threads are devoted to people with low GPAs, who are seeking advice on how to boost their chances for medical school.

I honestly get the opposite feeling, after visiting this site. Many of the threads are devoted to people with low GPAs, who are seeking advice on how to boost their chances for medical school.
This is only a bandaid after months to years of constant lowering of self-esteem. The "What my are my chances?" section and the repeated "OMG! I had a B, is my life over now?" threads...The "Low GPA", is just SDN version of "It gets better".

this thread made me feel better about applying this year with my crappy stats

I would say that the MSAR or U.S. News reports more accurately reflect acceptance statistics than SDN.

Yahoo Answers, is more accurate than SDN. :laugh:

If I applied to undergraduate with SDN's help, I would probably be in Graphic Arts. And would be complaining about my decision on Facebook about "****! Where the hell is the market for this?!" and "Crap, I should have at least went into Computer Science."

I say don't believe the hype in everything in life. Every one who is applying to medical school are judged differently. A person with high stats may not get in but a person with low stats may. It depends how ADCOMS feel that day and who they think is more qualified.

Lastly, it's who knew > what you know.

My GPA is 3.5 to 3.65 for both science and cumulative. Many colleges say that I am competitive and that I am fine. I just need to get a good MCAT score but then again as SDN always COMPLAIN ABOUT I am a URM or Minority to be exact so I am not in the "SAME POOL". :p

I've spent quite a bit of time on SDN the past month or so, and I feel I've learned a lot. Even if most of the information here doesn't apply to myself yet, I'm still accumulating a bunch of shiznit to keep on the back-burner. Once I'm out of Afghanistan I'll be a course-smashin', exam-crushing juggernaut of unfiltered *awesome!*

Supposing I still want to pursue medicine a few years from now, I imagine I'll be tipping my hat to SDN quite a bit.

LOL at HSDN giving advice..............

My advice is actually correct....:cool:

Is that what you expected...or should I have posted 3.9, 42, etc.....Wow. I think by now I am familiar with numbers and how the admissions committee responds to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stop comparing yourself to other people and you will be fine.

Unless you're a gunner then... God help us all...

My advice is actually correct....:cool:

Is that what you expected...or should I have posted 3.9, 42, etc.....Wow. I think by now I am familiar with numbers and how the admissions committee responds to them.

Nopers, this time you actually hit the nail on the head. But other times, I have seen you give advice....I mean, its great and all, but HSDN you haven't even started college yet.

Nopers, this time you actually hit the nail on the head. But other times, I have seen you give advice....I mean, its great and all, but HSDN you haven't even started college yet.

I'm umm...trying to get ahead?? :confused:

calm down guys geeze. we're all growing and actively learning. we can learn from everybody, young and old alike. stop this bickering! it doesnt serve any purpose. as long as it is sound advice who cares if it comes from a youngin? and if its not sound advice lets allow him or her the opportunity for growth. we can all change things for the better.

alb1eh1vr4.gif

SDN is great VR prep. You can't concentrate on minutiae. You have to absorb the entire thing and filter until you get what you need. I'm pretty sure had I not found this site a year and a half ago I would have failed miserably at my application. However, as many have said not everything on here is accurate.

calm down guys geeze. we're all growing and actively learning. we can learn from everybody, young and old alike. stop this bickering! it doesnt serve any purpose. as long as it is sound advice who cares if it comes from a youngin? and if its not sound advice lets allow him or her the opportunity for growth. we can all change things for the better.

alb1eh1vr4.gif

Sorry.....:thumbup:

Agreed. If I never knew of SDN, my 3.63 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, and 31Q would have felt pretty strong. My pre-health advisor, current residents, physicians, and the like all feel like I have a really, really good chance at getting into at least 1 MD school. I come on here and it's like "50-50 shot bro". Then again, what can you glean from an applicant based on a few quick points one posts about their stats and ECs?

Yet it remains: SDN is a reservoir of good information and genuinely knowledgeable people (shout out to Catalystik and mauberley- both of which have assisted me).

When it comes to my confidence, I just try and remember the sentiments of my non-SDN advice pool. :D

What an idiot. I got the Q my first time around :cool:.
:laugh:

We r all in this together - A rising tide lifts all boats!

I feel that sdn gives alot of advice for pre-meds, and students in general, so just look at the advice pages not the "my chances" pages.

I feel that sdn gives alot of advice for pre-meds, and students in general, so just look at the advice pages not the "my chances" pages.

My general opinion of the "My Chances" page, specifically the pre-med one, is "Holy ****, are you kidding me? 3.98GPA 3.92sGPA and EC's, and yet you are worried about getting at the very least one acceptance."

It's almost like hearing billionaires complaining about money. :|

alb1eh1vr4.gif

Holy hell I love Jessica Alba.

My general opinion of the "My Chances" page, specifically the pre-med one, is "Holy ****, are you kidding me? 3.98GPA 3.92sGPA and EC's, and yet you are worried about getting at the very least one acceptance."

I love those. "I have a 3.9 and a 13-13-13-R MCAT, please help me make my school list". Dear God, just apply wherever you like and include some middle/lower tier schools. *head explodes*

"Low GPA Party" needs there own section for "What are my chances?"

For us "real" people. :laugh:

I find it ironic that there are people telling me not to compare myself to others. This whole process is about making yourself look better than other people. Ever heard of the phrase "being a competitive applicant"?

I find it ironic that there are people telling me not to compare myself to others. This whole process is about making yourself look better than other people. Ever heard of the phrase "being a competitive applicant"?

Well, I find it kind of easier when I compare myself to others, so I can do better myself...

Because it's different strokes for different folks. Your ECs would be completely different from another's applicant. Yes, both of you can shadow but how you write it on your app is different from the other person. Also your PS will be different and LOR. Essentially, you don't know what the other person is really bringing to the table. Just be strategic in how and where you apply and trust, you will do fine.

Have a high GPA above 3.5 and do a lot of things that define you are as a person. You must convince ADCOMS on PAPER that you are WORTH MEETING IN PERSON!

Yes that's how the world works. It's always who you know > what you know.
How you think people get their jobs and research opps? Get to know the right people because you need someone to vouch for you :thumbup:
lol@you trying to lecture me on how the world works.

no, med school admissions as a whole is quite meritocratic, by design. the rules dictate even the dean of admissions can't single-handedly accept a candidate into the school. re: finding jobs and research opps, anybody can find these in the context of padding the premed cv.

I spent that last 2 weeks reading a lot on SDN and it seems to me like every other poster was rocking a 3.7 and bombing the MCAT 35+. Anything below that and you are in for an uphill battle.

I saw this one poster who got 40N the 1st time but took it again for the writing sample and got 41Q. I was like WTF!!!???

There's your problem.

Quick question:

How do you find it easier when you aren't in college yet?

I am part of a program that allows me to take college classes while I am in HS. By the way, I am graduating on friday. Y'all wanna come.

This thread is making me feel a little old. I graduated HS 6 years ago :eek:

I remember the days of being scared by SDN and MDApps. It's daunting.

Fortunately, as you'll realize, the average pre-med student doesn't approach what's posted on here, so you'll more than likely be fine.

Why do you say that?

Why do you say that?

Cause most premed students don't have the in-depth research, grades, etc that a lot of SDN students do.

Seriously, I'm so sick of hearing this myth about SDN that I'm going to prove it. Note in the below image I've added a red dash to all the posts at the top of WAMC that don't have a stacked GPA/MCAT combo. This was based mostly on the title of the thread itself.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Note, over half (11/16...I forgot to add a dash to the very top one) are all medium/weak applications...and this was going by title alone. Sure, there's 2-3 super studs, but it's nothing like the plethora that so many on here complain about. Further, many of the applicants with strong stats are asking about their chances at top 10, top 20 schools...seems reasonable to me. Suddenly because they have high grades they're a lock for every school? I think they have as much a right to question what their chances are at their list of schools, especially when these schools can be notorious for having ambiguous or extreme expectations.

Not trying to blow up on just you, I've seen this for years. But I'm getting to the point where it's really starting to take off far more than it has a right to. SDN has a lot of all star applicants here, but we also have a lot of average-weak applicants as well, and though the former is more memorable, let's not ignore our healthy population of the latter.

/rant.

I am loving this thread. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

Why do you say that?

First, what Don said: the breadth and depth of the ECs you see on here are pretty strong. Granted, it's what necessary to get into the best schools, but if you want to get into your school or A school, then that doesn't need to be your goal. You'll also see at interviews that a lot of people are extremely weird. If you're simply not strange in person then you're ahead of the pack.