Anybody going to University of Detroit Mercy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a heads-up for all of you who are looking for housing in the northwest suburbs (Farmington Hills, Novi, Walled Lake.)

They are starting major construction on 696 and the Lodge (10) freeways today. This will go until October, then stop for the winter, and then start up again next spring through next fall. I drive from Royal Oak to Novi for work every day (18 miles door to door - almost all on 696), and it can take me anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour. With construction, there are definitely going to be some more delays.

The traffic is generally a little worse going in the other direction, which is the way you would come if you lived in one of those areas. If you want to read about the road construction, here's a recent article: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060330/OPINION03/603300399/1016/METRO05

Those are all really nice areas to live, but your drive may be a little longer than you expect, especially in the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Zahnarzt said:
Just a heads-up for all of you who are looking for housing in the northwest suburbs (Farmington Hills, Novi, Walled Lake.)

They are starting major construction on 696 and the Lodge (10) freeways today. This will go until October, then stop for the winter, and then start up again next spring through next fall. I drive from Royal Oak to Novi for work every day (18 miles door to door - almost all on 696), and it can take me anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour. With construction, there are definitely going to be some more delays.

The traffic is generally a little worse going in the other direction, which is the way you would come if you lived in one of those areas. If you want to read about the road construction, here's a recent article: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060330/OPINION03/603300399/1016/METRO05

Those are all really nice areas to live, but your drive may be a little longer than you expect, especially in the summer.

Thanks a lot for that info. I really wanted to check out that place on walled lake, but I might rethink that. Royal oak sounds really nice and closer...but it seems like it's a lot more expensive. If you don't mind...do you live in an apartment there, or know any really nice apartments that aren't over 800 dollars for a one-bed! lol

Zahnarzt said:

Thanks for the info! --- Does anyone know where their new building coming Fall 2007 will be?

Members don't see this ad :)
cba said:
Thanks for the info! --- Does anyone know where their new building coming Fall 2007 will be?

new building for fall 2007? did i miss something?

toothealer12 said:
new building for fall 2007? did i miss something?

look at the newsletter sent with your acceptance package- it mentions something about that

cba said:
look at the newsletter sent with your acceptance package- it mentions something about that

yea i guess i wouldn't have known b/c my acceptance package went to my parents address and i'm up at school. they sent it to me, so i should be getting it today or monday. thanks.

toothealer12 said:
yea i guess i wouldn't have known b/c my acceptance package went to my parents address and i'm up at school. they sent it to me, so i should be getting it today or monday. thanks.
guys is it true that our school will move to a new place
I really love the school I saw and if they move I am not sure I want to take a risk ...
the faculty that I talked to during the interview told me they sold the school already and they were planning on moving to new place but not sure where ...
guys what do u think??????
where is the school going :D

sunflower1 said:
guys is it true that our school will move to a new place
I really love the school I saw and if they move I am not sure I want to take a risk ...
the faculty that I talked to during the interview told me they sold the school already and they were planning on moving to new place but not sure where ...
guys what do u think??????
where is the school going :D

I honestly don't think it will be that quick...my interviewer said their original plan was off and any other plans of moving are NOT in the near future. But hey....if they do decide to move soon, it's not like the new building will be anything less than what they have now! They will still have the same great faculty and staff with new/improved classrooms and clinics. I'm so excited to go there, that move is the last thing on my mind...and sure as heck wouldn't affect my decision to go there! Are you thinking about going somewhere else?

toothealer12 said:
I honestly don't think it will be that quick...my interviewer said their original plan was off and any other plans of moving are NOT in the near future. But hey....if they do decide to move soon, it's not like the new building will be anything less than what they have now! They will still have the same great faculty and staff with new/improved classrooms and clinics. I'm so excited to go there, that move is the last thing on my mind...and sure as heck wouldn't affect my decision to go there! Are you thinking about going somewhere else?
I love detorit mercy , but my family wants me to go to Case
I am not sure
but Honestly I feel inlove with UDM it is a great school , actually a dream school ....
by the way how do we know where to live? are they gone send us info about housing and all these?

sunflower1 said:
I am not sure
but Honestly I feel inlove with UDM it is a great school , actually a dream school ....
by the way how do we know where to live? are they gone send us info about housing and all these?

I think it would be best to contact them and find out more about the relocation (if any) so that you can find proper accommodation. Many of the schools have a list available to try to set you up with incoming or upper dental students, so you may want to inquire if UDM have something like this set up as well. If not, I know UDM have several 'dental (fraternity) houses' were you can stay as well.

sunflower1 said:
I am not sure

don't let your family pursuade you..it's your education :) are you from michigan? right now i'm not sure where exactly i'm going to live. I'm thinking royal oak, but i haven't looked at any places yet. and one-beds seem kinda expensive. when i went for my interview, one of the students said they do put a sheet together, but i assume they have to wait a little bit (until interviewing, etc. is done). she also mentioned the barbeque thing at the end of june. i hope we get more info. soon :)

toothealer12 said:
Thanks a lot for that info. I really wanted to check out that place on walled lake, but I might rethink that. Royal oak sounds really nice and closer...but it seems like it's a lot more expensive. If you don't mind...do you live in an apartment there, or know any really nice apartments that aren't over 800 dollars for a one-bed! lol

I actually own a house in Royal Oak - I worked for a couple of years as an engineer before deciding to go back to dental school. It is more expensive than the other areas as far as cost per square foot so it really depends on your preference. If you want a bigger, new construction place, you're better off looking in Novi or Farmington or maybe Troy. Royal Oak and Ferndale have a lot of older, smaller homes and apartment buildings (mine was built in 1941, which is pretty typical for the area.) The trade off is a nicer downtown area to walk around in.

I did have a friend who lived in a really nice apartment in Royal Oak for $550 a month that was a 5 minute walk from Main street. I think it was something like 800 square feet. The owner never advertises and he was really picky about renters although I think dental students would not be a problem. I'll ask him for the guy's number and post it when I get it. In general, I'd really recommend going on www.craigslist.org to look for apartments.

Good luck with your search!

Zahnarzt said:
I actually own a house in Royal Oak - I worked for a couple of years as an engineer before deciding to go back to dental school. It is more expensive than the other areas as far as cost per square foot so it really depends on your preference. If you want a bigger, new construction place, you're better off looking in Novi or Farmington or maybe Troy. Royal Oak and Ferndale have a lot of older, smaller homes and apartment buildings (mine was built in 1941, which is pretty typical for the area.) The trade off is a nicer downtown area to walk around in.

I did have a friend who lived in a really nice apartment in Royal Oak for $550 a month that was a 5 minute walk from Main street. I think it was something like 800 square feet. The owner never advertises and he was really picky about renters although I think dental students would not be a problem. I'll ask him for the guy's number and post it when I get it. In general, I'd really recommend going on www.craigslist.org to look for apartments.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks a lot Zahnarzt! I would appreciate if you could PM me the name of the 550/month apt. in royal oak! Thanks for the website as well...!

toothealer12 said:
don't let your family pursuade you..it's your education :) are you from michigan? right now i'm not sure where exactly i'm going to live. I'm thinking royal oak, but i haven't looked at any places yet. and one-beds seem kinda expensive. when i went for my interview, one of the students said they do put a sheet together, but i assume they have to wait a little bit (until interviewing, etc. is done). she also mentioned the barbeque thing at the end of june. i hope we get more info. soon :)

hey tanx for the input , ya i know its my decison and hopfully i make a good one
no i am not from michigan

hope to see u in my class next year yay:D

sunflower1 said:
hey tanx for the input , ya i know its my decison and hopfully i make a good one
no i am not from michigan

hope to see u in my class next year yay:D

Yea, I hope to see you at UDMSD too! Only about 4 months away :D

UDM class of 2010 here we come! Anyone here live in the northern suburbs, Shelby, Rochester, Macomb?