Anyone accepted and ready to quit their Job already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcar18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its terrible I know, I just got accepted last week and have wanted to quit ever since. (of course I won't b/c of the bridges that I would burn)

Members don't see this ad.

that would be me. *sigh* 4 more months to go. Thank god i'm taking the summer off...

I am going to try and get away that soon, but my experiment runs 12 weeks starting march 7th. So buy the time we finish the analysis I know it is going to be at least mid june.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've been feeling like this for months. I told myself I'd give 2 weeks notice on the day that I got my first acceptance. I got it on january 20, and I'm still here at my job! At this point I'm only staying on for the health benefits. I am making it a goal to quit at the end of may.

me me me!!!

I wish I could quit. I can't for several reasons, the most important being money, followed by my committment to the job (I said I'd say the summer when I started). I'm only staying through mid-June, though. There are aspects of my job I like, but overall I'm just sick of it, and it's actually making me depressed at this point. Unfortunately we have to pay rent and buy food somehow, so here's where I am for now :p

(Of course I'm actually here on sdn, not doing work :laugh: Some days I have down time, whereas other days I have so much to do I'm about to go crazy. Of course there are also days, like today, when I have stuff to do but I can't bring myself to do it lol)

ahumdinger said:
Yeah, I've been feeling like this for months. I told myself I'd give 2 weeks notice on the day that I got my first acceptance. I got it on january 20, and I'm still here at my job! At this point I'm only staying on for the health benefits. I am making it a goal to quit at the end of may.

I've been wanting to quit since November when I first received my acceptance. How do you quit?! I've never quit anything before....I don't think I know how... I have no reason to stay other than I don't know how to quit... :confused:

Boy, I thought I was the only one at work on sdn! (just joking). I wanted to quit the second week i got here (that was back in july). My bosses are really nice but I just want to start my career already. Its definitely a struggle just to get out of bed to sit somewhere for 9-5:30 p.m., not using my brain if I may add! I daydream about med school and just knowing that I will be giving that pink slip in mid-july. I still need to save money for medical school. ugh!

Hey prettymd05, at least your job is 9-5:30! Yesterday I was here from 6-8:30, and tomorrow I'll be here from 6 to at least 8:30, potentially later. Thankfully I get to take off Friday. Some of our clinical trials require at least 12 hours of periodic bloodwork, EKGs, vital signs, etc. One of them was basically 5:30 am to 9:30 pm for a week straight. At least the people here are flexible, and let me work fewer hours on other days, or take Friday off sometimes. I just say the long days are preparing me for med school and residency :p

My cousin quit his job after getting his first acceptance. It was a sucky job anyway. Since then he's been tutoring, and he's going to travel before starting school. I think that's awesome. I would seriously consider quitting if I had enough money to pay for rent for the next 5 months.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm cracking up and my cubicle-mates (yes I share with 2 others) are looking at me funny. This, of all days (very Office-Space TPS-report like day), I'm definitely struggling to stay here. At first, I felt obligated to stay through the summer, but the way things are going here lately I'm just glad I don't HAVE to take it that long. I'll be outta here mid-May for some traveling and R&R. I do so hate to let people down...but my sanity is important!

tigress said:
Hey prettymd05, at least your job is 9-5:30! Yesterday I was here from 6-8:30, and tomorrow I'll be here from 6 to at least 8:30, potentially later. Thankfully I get to take off Friday. Some of our clinical trials require at least 12 hours of periodic bloodwork, EKGs, vital signs, etc. One of them was basically 5:30 am to 9:30 pm for a week straight. At least the people here are flexible, and let me work fewer hours on other days, or take Friday off sometimes. I just say the long days are preparing me for med school and residency :p

My cousin quit his job after getting his first acceptance. It was a sucky job anyway. Since then he's been tutoring, and he's going to travel before starting school. I think that's awesome. I would seriously consider quitting if I had enough money to pay for rent for the next 5 months.

Wow...much respect goes to you, Tigress!

Yes! I too am in an "Office Space" like job (quite literarly actually, that movie is like our Mascot around here). No one at work knows that I'll be quitting to start med school in the fall (although most do know that I'm considering going to med school some time in the distant future, hehe). Only one of my coworkers knows, and he suggested that instead of quitting, I get myself fired (ahem, here we go with Office Space again), so I can have a month of receiving unemployment comp. What do you guys think of that? On one hand, I think it's a cool idea, cause I get to slack off right before I would've quit anyway, and then have another month of payment. On the other hand, I feel bad burning bridges. My job has absolutely nothing to do with medicine so I dont think burning bridges will affect my career later, but I guess I just feel bad doing that to the people that I got to know, who have put in time and energy to coach me on the job, just to realize that it was all for nothing anyway. Any thoughts?

i am with you guys...i promised my PI that I would do research for a year...luckily i get to quit June 1st but time seems to be going by so slowly. i am in the good position though that i dont have to quit or let him know i am leaving because he runs out of grant money June 1st anyway so he cant afford me anymore. i hate to wish these last 4 months away but i REALLY cant wait for a summer of R&R....how can we make the days go by faster?

midwest77 said:
how can we make the days go by faster?

No clue, but I know how to make them go slower - refreshing SDN every 10 minutes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, anybody else have the same job issue I do? Here it is -- food!!! There is always junk food in my office. Really unhealthy stuff, like candies and cakes and chips and candied popcorn and stuff like that. And when I get stressed out, or bored, or when my boss yells too much (she has a yelling and cursing problem...at this point I ignore it, it doesn't even get to me, but sometimes when she's particularly bad it just pisses me off lol)...anyway, basically I end up eating this junk food. And it's NOT HEALTHY. See, I used to have a remarkably healthy diet. Until I started working here, that is. Now I get drawn in by the junk. :p

Anybody else?

I work at the "#1 company" in the nation (see link below for details), and I am STILL ready to quit!! But listen, it's just human nature for us to hate work. When we are all doctors, we are still going to not LOVE going to work. However, we will be getting paid a hell of a lot more money to do our work! Will be nice!

tigress said:
Okay, anybody else have the same job issue I do? Here it is -- food!!! There is always junk food in my office. Really unhealthy stuff, like candies and cakes and chips and candied popcorn and stuff like that. And when I get stressed out, or bored, or when my boss yells too much (she has a yelling and cursing problem...at this point I ignore it, it doesn't even get to me, but sometimes when she's particularly bad it just pisses me off lol)...anyway, basically I end up eating this junk food. And it's NOT HEALTHY. See, I used to have a remarkably healthy diet. Until I started working here, that is. Now I get drawn in by the junk. :p

Anybody else?
Opposite problem - we have NO food! I worked here as a student and took up a staff role until May/June, and I already want to quit! Need more time off!

nice to see this topic come up...i just gave my 2 weeks notice to my boss a couple hours ago :)

be glad you have a job. i've been looking since october ...

I kind of like my job....the parts that are not lab manager associated. I would rather just do the research like a grad student. Luckily I will be leaving in May and coming back as a summer research student in June. I get to pawn off the admin duties to someone else!!!

annavs said:

Yeah, I had to look for this job for months and months. I finally got something only because my best friend's father knew somebody. So I just suggest using all the connections you have. Good luck :luck:

I'd love to leave my job too and take it easy. I just need the money right now, I'm still in the hole from the app process!. I plan to leave as soon as I can though.

jrae said:
I kind of like my job....the parts that are not lab manager associated. I would rather just do the research like a grad student. Luckily I will be leaving in May and coming back as a summer research student in June. I get to pawn off the admin duties to someone else!!!

GOSH!!! Everytime I've been trying to read these post on here just now, my boss walked in like a hundred times to tell me something. IT is soooo annoying. I got accepted on October 15, 2005..imagine!?!?!? I've been ready to walk out since that very first minute. But like alot of people mentioned, money, connections, and other things are still important. I too, am staff in this research lab and am ready to pass all the responsibilities to someone else. I've been here since May 2004! I am so ready to just GO! :( The only difference between you and me is that I am DEFINITELY NOT COMING BACK. My last day of work OFFICIALLY IS May 1st. I will have the summer off..can't wait and am, by far, ready to dive into Med School. :p

Eeks, I completely agree with you all... I'm ready to go too, but I need the money! Every day I have to force myself to stay at work. :(

tigress said:

Anybody else?

I deal with the same exact thing at my job.
There is ALWAYS food around.
And I am working in an office for the first time in my life.
So intially I continued to eat the same way.
Guess what....I gained weight.
Already back to where I started now (South Beach baby)
But still, it's hard hard hard to resist the temptations.
Just today I had a bunch of cookies.
I guess we will be missing all this free food once we start med school (or should I say once we starv med school).
have a good one guys. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NunoBR said:
I deal with the same exact thing at my job.
There is ALWAYS food around.
And I am working in an office for the first time in my life.
So intially I continued to eat the same way.
Guess what....I gained weight.
Already back to where I started now (South Beach baby)
But still, it's hard hard hard to resist the temptations.
Just today I had a bunch of cookies.
I guess we will be missing all this free food once we start med school (or should I say once we starv med school).
have a good one guys. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Not so. Between lunching with interviewees and other things you can score a lot of free food in school.

tigress said:

Anybody else?

homer-drool.gif

Mmmmmm . . . traaanss fat . . .

Uh, I mean, yeah, that's awful. ;)

I'm bored, but it's not horrible. Since I need the money, I'm going to work through at least June -- moving costs are already starting to scare me. :scared: I decided not to take any more classes, and that's actually improved my thoughts about my job. Last term was horrible because I was constantly juggling class, volunteering, work and applying/interviewing, but now I'm only working and volunteering.

exlawgrrl said:
I'm bored, but it's not horrible. Since I need the money, I'm going to work through at least June -- moving costs are already starting to scare me. :scared: I decided not to take any more classes, and that's actually improved my thoughts about my job. Last term was horrible because I was constantly juggling class, volunteering, work and applying/interviewing, but now I'm only working and volunteering.
Same deal here. If it weren't for the fact that I'm going to have to continue paying bills (or if I could alternatively just figure out a way to move all of my things without spending a gazillion bucks), I'd drop work immediately. The thing that bugs me the most, though, is that I'm not getting paid jack and it's definitely not be worth the misery. Stupid bills!

count me in! i am ready to be done with this night shift crap! :sleep: i am sick of sleeping the days away! i miss the sun, gosh darn it!

I quit mine days after I found out I was accepted. To hell with the benefits, I wanted to do something fun before I settled down. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I have had the same job/position since March 2002. I still second guess myself to think if I did the right thing.

annavs said:

Me too! I got laid off in September from a great lab job with great benefits/pay etc, and since then I can't find anything. I've been tutoring, but I'm about to start doing waitressing or anything just to pay my bills. My savings are dwindling away!

I quit my job about 1.5 months after being accepted somewhere, but not working at all is completely out of the question. I already have plenty of loans to repay and live in a very expensive city. So I'm nannying. I get to wear jeans and sweats every day, play at the park, and I'm making more $ than I ever made at the hospital...heck, I'm making more than I've ever made PERIOD! I still go to the hospital 1 or 2 x's/mo., though. I must admit, I do miss some parts of my old job!

trishaaa said:
I quit my job about 1.5 months after being accepted somewhere, but not working at all is completely out of the question. I already have plenty of loans to repay and live in a very expensive city. So I'm nannying. I get to wear jeans and sweats every day, play at the park, and I'm making more $ than I ever made at the hospital...heck, I'm making more than I've ever made PERIOD! I still go to the hospital 1 or 2 x's/mo., though. I must admit, I do miss some parts of my old job!

Wow... I didn't realize nannying pays. Do you mind leaking the ballpark figures?

I'm stuck at my job until June/July. I've only been working here for 5 months and am pretty sure all of my bosses (yes, I have several) will hate me if I quit now. Can't burn any bridges - I *might* have to rotate here during MS4. Plus, not working is out of the question right now.

I got offered a job on the same day i got my first acceptance. I took the job and the next day i was wanting to quit haha. It's not so bad, just boring. Not sure when I'll quit.

I clean speculums. I just cleaned about 20 of them today.
When I am a physician, I am going to be very very kind to people who do this job.

I also treat gonorrhea, chlamydia, trich, cervicitis, bv, yeast, and PID.
I do a lot of patient counseling.
I really love my job, but I'm going to stay "on call" starting mid March so I can go to... Thailand? or Chile? or the desert.
Today is a tiring day.
:sleep:

nikibean said:
When I am a physician, I am going to be very very kind to people who do this job.

I did EKGs and then cardiac/vascular ultrasound. I will also be very nice to the people who do this job!

nikibean said:

I also treat gonorrhea, chlamydia, trich, cervicitis, bv, yeast, and PID.
I do a lot of patient counseling.
I really love my job, but I'm going to stay "on call" starting mid March so I can go to... Thailand? or Chile? or the desert.
Today is a tiring day.
:sleep:

Yeah, when I have down time I work, and I'm not refreshing my e-mail/SDN, I'm daydreaming about where the heck I'm going to travel this summer. I guess one good thing about having to work a few more months - I have time to figure out my summer plans. There you go for a way to pass the time.

I have to second (third) being nice to the support staff. After working my job I have SO much respect for nurses, PTs, OTs, other therapists, etc.

i've taken on 3 jobs since i've been accepted. i've never worked service jobs before in my life and obviously never will again and didn't wanna go my whole life without doing any. so i'm working at blockbuster, a movie theatre and delivering pizzas. my friends all find it really funny and get a kick out of it. worked at the theatre 11-6 today and am doing inventory at blockbuster from midnight to 6 am tonight. fun. hopefully i'll save enough to go nuts in Europe all of june and july.
-mota

tigress said:
I have to second (third) being nice to the support staff. After working my job I have SO much respect for nurses, PTs, OTs, other therapists, etc.

see, i'd be more discriminating on who to be nice to. there are nurses that are absolute angels, and there are ones that are stupid and inefficient as hell. Ex: this one nurse at a hospital i was working for told me that my job as a volunteer was to call patients into the triage area. no more, no less. the triage room is literally 5 feet away from the waiting room, separated by a door. *sigh*

and yea, i'm ready to give my job the boot. btw, my occupation is " undergraduate student".

oh wait, i haven't been acepted yet, HAHA

tcar18 said:
Its terrible I know, I just got accepted last week and have wanted to quit ever since. (of course I won't b/c of the bridges that I would burn)

---> Yes. Me. If by "job" you mean undergraduate curriculum. May won't come soon enough.

(p.s. edit - kirex you beat me to that one! rawr! ;) )

crazy_cavalier said:

---> Yes. Me. If by "job" you mean undergraduate curriculum. May won't come soon enough.

(p.s. edit - kirex you beat me to that one! rawr! ;) )

hahaha, hot people think alike!

DaMota said:
i've taken on 3 jobs since i've been accepted. i've never worked service jobs before in my life and obviously never will again and didn't wanna go my whole life without doing any. so i'm working at blockbuster, a movie theatre and delivering pizzas. my friends all find it really funny and get a kick out of it. worked at the theatre 11-6 today and am doing inventory at blockbuster from midnight to 6 am tonight. fun. hopefully i'll save enough to go nuts in Europe all of june and july.
-mota
that kicks ass, but don't get arrested in a raid on a moroccan hash den. (yes, you want to go to morocco, admit it.)

Jeez! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO ready to quit my job too...even though I still have the April MCAT lurking over me and won't be getting in until 2007. But once I hold the letter in my hands, I will call my job to quit BEFORE I'm through reading the acceptance offer :p Jeez! I'm just so envious of you lucky spoiled brats on this thread...you guys are so good you make sick :smuggrin:

DaMota said:
worked at the theatre

Do you get to watch free movies? oh, and I can't believe "what the bleep" is one of your fav movies according to myspace. it was so horrendously horrible, made almost no sense except for a couple of cool scenes, and then my date fell asleep. but :thumbup: on your other movie choices.

my dilemma: work or travel. if I teach MCAT for the summer, I'd make like 3-4 grand, but if I travel during my very last summer of freedom, my parents would be out $2k and I'd have earned no money. what the bleep.

i think everyone should work in retail if they haven't already -- amazing discounts, easy work, relaxed work environment. there's one job i'll miss in med school.

anon-y-mouse said:
Do you get to watch free movies?

ya, pretty much all over LA. the manager calls the manager of the other theatre and puts me on some list +1 or 2. very chill. then with blockbuster i get 5 rentals a week free (and an extra 5 from a coworker who doesnt use hers). then at the pizza place i get free food. so i'm makin some chedda and not spending much. i'm probably the only dude in LA delivering pizzas in a beemer though.

anon-y-mouse said:
oh, and I can't believe "what the bleep" is one of your fav movies according to myspace. it was so horrendously horrible, made almost no sense except for a couple of cool scenes, and then my date fell asleep. but :thumbup: on your other movie choices.

to each his own. i thought it was dope. maybe you shouldn't have given your date so many roofies.;)

anon-y-mouse said:
my dilemma: work or travel. if I teach MCAT for the summer, I'd make like 3-4 grand, but if I travel during my very last summer of freedom, my parents would be out $2k and I'd have earned no money. what the bleep.

travel. final answer. we'll rendezvous in europe if you're gonna be there.

-mota

DaMota said:
ya, pretty much all over LA. the manager calls the manager of the other theatre and puts me on some list +1 or 2. very chill. then with blockbuster i get 5 rentals a week free (and an extra 5 from a coworker who doesnt use hers). then at the pizza place i get free food. so i'm makin some chedda and not spending much. i'm probably the only dude in LA delivering pizzas in a beemer though.

to each his own. i thought it was dope. maybe you shouldn't have given your date so many roofies.;)

travel. final answer. we'll rendezvous in europe if you're gonna be there.

-mota

oh oh!! i'm going to europe, i wanna play too!! (well, if i get accepted somewhere...)