Anyone accepted to USUHS yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pretty sure i read somewhere (maybe on the OIS sites) that you should find a place to live before that, cause you won't have a ton of time afterwards...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I've head the same thing from current students. My friend going there now waited until after training and ended up living with a random.

One advantage to securing a spot beforehand is that you can have your stuff moved out to MD before you go to COT/OIC/OBC whatever-- if you have an address to move it to. You'd have to go home and get it shipped after your training otherwise.

Maybe we could set up a housing match service on SDN! I will be looking for a roomie next year... preferably an Air Force female, size small (so I can borrow a clean blue blouse if I need to!!)

Alli :p

hey AlliCat and other AF people :)
Do you know if we can choose to go to OTS in either June or July? Or is it pretty much set that we go to the June training?? Just wondering~

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know, too! There is only one training ate for everyone in a given service branch. That I know for sure. But What I don't know is the class date that USUHS selected for the AF this year. It should have been in your interview packets. Can someone tell me what the date is?? I'm going crazy trying to get an answer!

Alli

Just wanted y'alls thoughts on what happened during my interview. I probably think its not that big of a deal, but just would like some other's views.

so, during my interview with a guy who was a double major in chem/english, he kept questioning me about english, my hobbies, if i liked to write, etc. Throughout my conversation, I was a bit confused on why so many random questions since I was not really asked any about why military med, etc etc...Finally, he confessed up, "the reason why I have been asking you so many questions pertaining to english and writing was because I question the validity of your amcas personal statement." at that point, I was like ohhhh sh**... he then went on, " I compared your usuhs supplement essay and the amcas essay and they are not on the same level. your amcas level in regards to the structure and content is exceptional and your usuhs is, well, typical of a regular student." I was thinking in my head, what's going on? Are you kidding me? I then replied, " well, i did spend about 3 weeks writing my amcas essay, over 15 drafts, etc etc....and in regards to my usuhs supplement, i didn't have nearly as enough time to put in the same effort, but I strongly feel that it was well written"....he then pointed out some stuff that he highlighted and underlined!!! and he kept saying this is good, great, blah blah and again asked me, "did you write this?" and of course, since I had no reason to lie, I responded "of course..." and then I dived into why i put so much effort into it since most candidates are pretty much the same on paper with the gpa, mcats, and extra-activities...so i was emphasizing that the essay is the only way to really stand out from the others. SO all in all, I was a bit taken back by this and afterwards, I thought it might have been a "pressure" interview...but, I am curious to see what you guys think/ say about this situation.

Thanks.

medboy~
It sounds like they really put you on the spotlight! But I think you handled it very well. You were honest and your explanation is reasonable. They probably wanted to see how you react and you seemed to have showed calmness, which is definitely a plus. You shouldn't worry so much about it. Hope you hear from them soon!

i'd say they pressured you and you passed with flying colors. nice job! make sure you fill out the SDN site interview info for your visit. :)

The interviewer probably thought you hired an essay service to write your AMCAS essay or something.

Anyone heard of any Army acceptances yet?

jtn3-

Nothing yet. Interviwed Sept 25. I called last week and they said that my file has not been reviewed yet.

Already disqualified from DODMERB, which will hopefully be an easy waiver. Lazy eye surgery when I was two y.o. leads to a positive red-dot test for diplopia (double vision). I do not see double. As long as I have an opth say that, it's OK. My father, an ARMY anesthesiologist has a colleague that is blind in one eye.

Hey GOS2,

I'm finding that we have a couple of things in common. I'm waiting for my file to be "reviewed" and I had lazy eye surgery at the age of 8. DoDMERB is this week for me so I'll be sure to keep you posted on my road to waivers...

I hope this week brings you great news.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to offer some encouragement for the peeps who need waivers! As long as you show that you are really interested in the school and truly want to go there, the staff will give 110% effort in getting the waiver pushed through for you. If you have any issues or problems as the physical exam process goes on, feel free to PM me! I had a difficult time getting a waiver, but in the end was successful. All it takes is persistence and help from the right people ;)

Alli

P.S. the waiver I needed was eye-related too... so I've been there!

anyone else heard anything yet from usuhs? ?

BUMP

Members don't see this ad :)
My first choice for Branch of Service was the Army and I interviewed on the 25th of September and still no word. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks, so I'm going to give them a call.

I called on Monday of this week and my file has not been reviewed as of yet. Admissions is beginning the waiver process, however, in case I am granted a conditional acceptance. I asked if they make decisions by branch of service, meaning, would those applications which listed Army first be reviewed together. The answer is no. I guess we just hang in there for another week or two. :rolleyes:

Interviewed oct. 2 and i just received my conditional acceptance for the air force. Good luck with everyone else...

I recieved my acceptance letter today from USUHS for the Army. I interviewed on the 25th of September for all you folks wondering about Army acceptances. My physcial came back yesterday as Qualified so that almost took a month to work itself out. I guess I'll see ya'll at OBC.

I'm out.

Congrats, jtn3...

I'm so glad for you... I'm also glad to hear that some more 9/25ers are still (slowly) getting accepted...

BTW, had a funny thing happen to me at my DoDMERB physical. I got my urine done, my audiology done, and now comes time for my eye exam.

The corpsman tells me to cover my left eye and asks if I can read a line (20/20). I say no. She say's you need to be corrected to 20/20 before the doc will sign off on it... Game over...

That's it, no more physical... No weight... no blood draw...

Now I have to see my eye doctor AGAIN and get my glasses redone. I suspect my vision changed because I had to take my lenses out for 3 days...

Fortunately, they will take people for the initial exams on a walk in basis at the San Diego BMC...

Congrats jtn3!!! :clap:

I called yesterday and my file was still being reviewed. Oh well.

All,

I just wanted to say good luck on those applying and congrats on those accepted! Congrats jtn3--go ARMY!
USUHS admin committee is excellent, and what they tell you in your interview is really the truth. The admin committee is just a small glimpse of the school as a whole. Overall, it is wondeful. For all who have already had interviews, you have a very high chance of getting in if you are positive that you want to be in the military as a doctor. It is nerve-wracking, but as soon as that letter is in your hands, it is worth it!

If any of you all have questions, feel free to email me! (I forget to check PM's and don't log in too often).

Best wishes,

USUHS SOM 2007

congrats! yay class of 2008! :clap:

Hey GOS2,

Congratulations!!! I just called today I am still in still being reviewed limbo...

Hopefully, I will be joining you in the fall!

I was in limbo for a while. Tomorrow is 6 weeks post interview. You will get it. Thanks.

Congrats, G0S2!

I was conditionally accepted to USUHS last year, but was later medically disqualified...so I faint suddenly and unexpectedly at times...who knew that would be a problem for the military!
;)

Seriously, though, congratulations and good luck!

Sorry to hear that charityj. Are you in a med program anyway?

Thank you for the kind words.

Umm, no not yet. Hopefully this year. Thanks!:D

And you're very welcome!

Hey guys,

Can you post here when you get your unconditional? I'm waiting not quite patiently for mine!! :)

~Alli

Has anyone from the Oct. 9th interview group heard anything?

Also, wasn't it 4-6 weeks for a decision or 6-8 weeks...I forgot.

I'm just antsy to know what's my fate ... I'm tempted to call in but I'm trying really, really hard to not look at the phone.

Medboy, I interviewed on september 25 and recieved my army acceptance on halloween. I would call the admissions office and ask. They'll tell you straight up. They'll be abrupt and say, "no decision has been made on your application," or "your acceptance has been mailed." Just call it's not like it is going to count against you.

For those in air force, I just found out from the office that our training this summer is from July 6 to August 5. (AlliCat, I know you were dying to know :) )

Thanks Ruby! You rock. It'll be awhile before I get my unconditional, but I can't wait to meet you guys!

~Alli

Hey all!
Just found out I have been accepted with an Air Force placement! This is my first acceptance and it makes me happy congrats to everyone else too!

Congrats, Northerner!

Hey, any other 9/25 interviewee's waiting to hear from them? I was told on Friday to wait about two more weeks.... :(

I wonder how many of us are actually going to attend? For those accepted or expecting to be, will you go?

I'm really HOPING to be. If I am accepted, then the answer is an unqualified YES.

i am a definate yes with the navy. I am just waiting on the unconditional. by the way, does anyone know how long it takes? my physicals are complete so i guess they just have to review everything.

Undecided. I am non-prior military, so the extensive list of pros and cons is something I'm currently sorting through. It was nice to get my first choice placement though, and I am excited to be accepted to medical school so early....yay....

Does anyone know how often the ADCOM meets to discuss apps?
Also, how long after the physical did you receive the pass/fail? And how did that info arrive? Email, website somewhere, letter?
I had my physical on 10/27 and my interview on 10/23, and am not-so-patiently waiting for feedback. Hopefully I will see some of you over the summer. Go Army!!!

My physical disqualification came about 3 weeks after the physical via mail. Check online for the status of your docs. You were given a website in your letter from Concorde. My disqualification was due to an optometrist doc who said I had diplopia or double vision. I can tell you that I do not and would not be able to function if I did. I recently saw an opthalmologist who laughed and said that I do not have it. Now USUHS and DODMERB are trying to get the disqualification reversed since it was originally as misdiagnoses. So easy to screw up this entire process.

Sounds to me like they're pretty good about keeping their word on the 4-6 week for notification mark. I found out by calling like 6 weeks after my interview. I am overall impressed by USU's efficiency, ~3 weeks after primary to receive 2ndary invite, ~2 weeks after secondary submission to hear about an interview, and 6 weeks after that to hear a decision, not bad in my experience. Some places (I won't mention any names....einstein) even SOUND flustered on the phone when you call. Just my experience.

Curious, how did peoples' interviews go?

I feel like my interviews went great. USUHS was my first interview, so I was extremely nervous for the first one (although there was no need to be). I was much more relaxed for the second, and we even went a little over time just talking, which I think was a good sign. None of my questions were unexpected. Most came from my personal statement. I had one interview with a student (1st interview) and one with a Major.
It's been 4 weeks since my interviews, and I am starting to get antsy. Since this is my first choice, I would love to get the acceptance so I can stop worrying about the other schools.

For all y'all wondering about unconditional acceptances, I got mine yesterday. I had the physical BEFORE my interview, got it back as qualified a month later, the week after that on October 31st I was accepted into the army and yesterday I recieved the unconditional. I sent my commissioning papers in already.

Good luck everyone.

Nice jtn3!!! I will wait for mine. The erroneous disqualification should be resolved by Monday according to DODMERB. Hopefully I will be your Army colleague there.

how does info of your physical status come? is it by snail mail?