Anyone accepted to USUHS yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys! Oh, and thanks for the :clap: as well! I didn't start my own thread for the first acceptance, but I was hoping to get one of those fun clapping dudes at some point... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

hehe.. :clap: here's one more for ya.
hope to see you in the fall~

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else heard anything from USUHS yet? BUMPING!

I interviewed back in EARLY october and still no word.

Anyone else in the same boat as me and not heard anything?

BTW, do you take this as a bad sign or good?

Have you tried calling or emailing them? I'm sure they'll be more responsive if you let them know of your interest. I think this is a sign that you're being considered in the later pool of acceptances. Then again, I'm just guessing and calling them would be a more definitive answer. Best of LUCK!

i have called and sent them letters. So, they know of my interest. I talked to Michelle and she basically said that I should take it as a good sign since they have not rejected me. She says the longer the wait, the better the outcome.

Anyone else just love Michelle and NaShieka?

Originally posted by Northerner
Anyone else just love Michelle and NaShieka?
Good people up there. Anyone else hear some bad jokes from Michelle? :clap:

I seem to recall her making a bad joke at interview day when we were all sitting in that conference room, did everyone sit around that big conference table in the admissions office and chat before interview day? Just for the record, I thought you all (not that you know who you are) were very cordial and genuinely friendly of demeanor. Wish everyone the best who I met that day.

Hey Northerner, when did you interview at USUHS?

I was apart of the december group. We all kinda laughed at her joked. And yes, their office is very easy to get a hold of and talk to.

Everyone---don't forget to post your results! I'm anxiously waiting until March...

Interviewed the first week of October, acceptance notification mid November.

I got my unconditional acceptance over the holiday break. Has anyone received the welcome packet already? I think that is the next step in the process for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys decide on which branch to join ? I have an interview coming up soon, and I need to decide. I'm leaning toward AF right now...the thing is, if I end up getting accepted I will definitely go there, id really be interested in doing something like the 'devil docs' (in the navy), but I'm not sure if each branch has opportunities like this.

Another dream of mine has been to be part of NASA. And I think that by being in the AF, I might have a better chance of being part of this. I'm really sort of confused at the moment as to what to do, but any advice would be appreciated.

I chose Army because of more opportunities and because of my family's history. Since the Army is larger compared to the other branches, there should be more options for a physician (or so I've been told).
The AF lifestyle might be a little more plush, but they probably have less opportunities to do something like the "devil docs." Although the devil docs sounds fun to me, I stayed away from the Navy because I don't like the idea of being on a ship for months at a time. I'd rather be stationed in the middle of the jungle or desert for two years.
But don't take my word for much right now. I have many more questions than I have answers at this point.
I think this is an interesting topic. Why did everyone choose their respective branch over the others?

Just a little heads up, when I was there for my interview (12/4), they told me that the AF slots tend to fill up faster than the other branches. They said about 30 AF positions were offered compared to 15 for Army and 15 for Navy. People tend to see it as the easier branch and therefore it gets to be people's #1 choice. The people I talked to said if you want to get in, you're best chance is in Army or Navy. Based on that advice (and the fact that my Dad was in the Army for 22 years), I listed Army as my first choice. I guess it worked out because I just got my conditional acceptane into the Army today. Hooah!

:clap:

Congrats, grumbo! Too bad about Army, but you take what you can get, right? ;)

*loudly hums Anchors Aweigh*

Congratulations grumbo. Will I see you this summer in San Antonio??:hardy:

Hi there! This is my first post -I've chosen Navy for the USUHS class of 2008. Hope to see you all there, and the Navy people in Newport Beach, RI this summer!

Congratulations, caffeineaddict!

Any more Navy folks out there?

Yeah, I'll be at OBC this summer (assuming I get medical clearance). I'm pumped about going since I haven't been to summer camp since I was a kid (jk).

Has anyone received their relocation orders? Where/when are you planning to move?

I haven't received orders yet, buy I'm planning on moving my family out to the Gaithersburg/Germantown area and getting settled before COT. I think we will get to MD the second week of June and COT starts around July 1st in Alabama.

Yeah, so where is everyone at this stage? I got my unconditional a little over a month ago. I want to get all that official stuff and sign it so I can stop obsessing about things going wrong. :)

Who all is going to Alabama with me this summer? Nobody seems to be AF :( Where's the love?

~Alli

I received my unconditional a week or so ago, about two weeks after the conditional acceptance arrived via snail mail. I'm Navy-bound, so the Rhode Island camp is 6/28-7/30, and then Mr. Hobiena said that we need to report on 8/8, so my family is planning on getting settled in early June. We're planning on buying a house, somewhere around Hwy 270. I'll probably know more after we tour with an agent, probably in March.

AF is where I got my placement, Alli. Not sure if I'll be attending, lots of big decisions to make regarding lifestyle priorities associated with USU.

Alli,

I'm AF and will be in Alabama this summer for sure.

Congrats to all USU class 2008! For those of you still waiting to hear back from interviews, or waiting to interview, good luck! Don't give up!

If anyone is interested in housing/area/Army OBC etc, feel free to email--I would be happy to help.

~Phil413ru
MS1 USUHS 2007

Congrats everyone. I'm a 02 USU grad. Saw the comments about where people are going to live and couldn't resist...you will rotate at hospitals throughout the DC area (as well as other places) so the commute to NNMC isn't the only thing to consider. If you live up the 270, you'll find it a long hall to Andrews, Washington Hospital Center, etc. When the lottery comes around, you may be left with 2 options, an out of town rotation or a hellish commute. I'd recommend living closer if you can. My suggestion would be renting/buying a home the Kensington Parkwood area. It's just outside Bethesda, a little more expensive, unfortunately, and has a great little elementary school. You can bike to USU/NNMC from there.

I'm curious what other hospitals USU students rotate at, GMO_52?

If you leave VERY early in the morning, is the commute totally hideous still? I'm used to a lot of traffic, and might be willing to compromise for a more comfortable home. I noticed that the cheapest house listed for Kensington is a condo with no yard for $179K. We really need a yard and a detached garage or full basement.

It depends what you mean by early. You can beat the traffic in the morning. The problem is more in the afternoon/evening (you'll work enough that you'll want to get home when you get the chance and waiting for rush hour to end is pretty hard).

Off the top of my head, in the DC area, you'll potentially rotate at NNMC, WRAMC, Malcolm Grow, Fort Belvior, Washington Hospital Center, St. Elizabeths, and various ED's in DC and Baltimore.

Unfortunately, that price is about right for the closer communities. We rented a house in Kensington that was probably in the $350K range (and most have gone up since).

If you want to own a home for less than that, you'll probably have to live further out. I loved the short commute, especially post-call. I just wanted to make sure people weren't just timing the drive to USUHS but factored in these others. Most rotations are at NNMC and WRAMC but not all. There were members of my class who lived in Gaithersburg with their families and decided to do out of town rotations rather than face driving to some of these.

GMO_52, do many folks live in base housing? Like at, for example, the Navy housing in Landover right behind FedEx Field? Or is that pretty much out of the question - too much of a commute the OTHER way?

A few people lived at Ft Mead and even as far as Ft Detrick (sp?) but I didn't know about Navy housing in Landover. I think you'd just have to drive it and see. That would be against traffic for the most part.

Has anyone received any notication from USUHS ? Any acceptances? Still waiting since my interview in October :(

No word.

I got my conditional Oct. 20th and finally got my unconditional today.:clap: With a few remedials, it took awhile to get through DODMERB, but I'm glad it's done. I guess I can finally say, "I'll see you at COT."

Good luck to everyone who's still playing the admissions or DODMERB game.

I got my unconditional this week too! After getting the conditional in october, i've been waiting for months for everything to be confirmed. So see you guys at COT :)

I hope to hear more good news from the rest of you.

What is the shortest wait an SDN'er had after the interview until the conditional acceptance was recieved? Is it always the 6 weeks they said we should expect?

Mine came 6 weeks and one day from the interview.
And congrats to all those getting their unconditionals! I'm anxious to get this whole thing started. I can't wait 'til San Antonio.

I interviewed on Sept. 26th and the conditional came on Oct. 19th or 20th.

It was 6 weeks after my interview that I got my conditional acceptance. Seems like an efficient admissions office.

How lenient are they on medical waivers? I am a healthy guy but I can tell I might have a few issues as I fill out the DODMERB medical examination forms.

I guess I am kind of getting ahead of myself, and assuming I will be accepted. I had two really good interviews though so I have high hopes.

I think that as long as you get an acceptance, there is a pretty good chance of getting a waiver if needed, but you'll have to keep on top of things. You'll find the biggest problem will be if DODMERB needs any remedials; if they have any questions about your responses on the first physical form, they will send remedial forms to explain any conditions you may have in more detail. In my case, a doctor had to review some hand surgery notes and it took forever. If a doctor doesn't need to look at any of your records, it should go much quicker. However, if you end up waiting as long as I did and then on top of it you need a waiver you could be biting your finger nails until the very end.........

Here's a possible time table (anyone out there with an addendum to this is welcome to speak up):

First letter from DODMERB should arrive 4-5 weeks after your physical (this might contain remedial forms)

Once they receive your remedials count on 2 weeks to process it (4 wks if a doctor needs to review anything)

Waiver will take approximately 2 weeks (or so I've heard)

Unconditional comes 2-3 weeks after you have been medically qualified.

Good luck

Hey rgporter--when did you interview? Like you, I'm also anxiously waiting to hear from USUHS since they are my top choice. I'm a December interviewer and I don't expect to hear back from them until early to mid-March.

Keep us posted!

I interviewed in mid-November, received a conditional right after Christmas, and an unconditional a week after. I received what I perceive to be my relocation packet today!

I got something too. . . the student orientation packet came in the mail today. I guess everybody else got it too, or will be getting it shortly.

Is there a difference between the "alternate" and "waitlist" spots at USUHS or are they the same thing?

-Kownell

Originally posted by Kownell
Is there a difference between the "alternate" and "waitlist" spots at USUHS or are they the same thing?

-Kownell
They are different. From the admissions cycle guidelines form (received at the interview):

WAIT LIST SELECTION:
1. You will be notified by mail of wait list status.
2. If you receive a wait list letter, you have been FULLY ACCEPTED by the Admissions Committee and approved by the Dean, School of Medicine, but there are no spaces available in class and/or in your service choice at the time.
3. Medically qualified wait list applicants will be offered positions, as they become available before the alternates.
4. Wait list applicants can be made offers through August, although most offers are tendered by mid-May.

ALTERNATE SELECTION:
1. You will be notified by mail of alternate status.
2. Alternates may be accepted through August.

Hi folks,

Is anyone else going through or have already done the paperwork for the contract package? I have no military background, so I am kind of a bit overwhelmed by the forms. One thing that is unclear to me is where I can go to get my oath of office completed? Since I don't know any officers personally I do not know where to turn to and the instructions are very limited. Also, can anyone be the witness for the completion of the other forms?? Thanks in advance for any help!