Anyone accepted to USUHS yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my DODMERB physical yesterday....got disqualified for one thing. But the doctor was really nice and told me to come back next week to get tested again. So hopefully I will pass next time. I hope everything works out for you all too!

Members don't see this ad.

One of the biggest reasons for a fail:

High protein content in the urine.

That will vary from test to test. One huge piece of advice I was given before the exam by a Navy friend of mine was to avoid any relations the night before, if you know what I mean. Completely serious.

So in the acceptance letter they send, they say to reserve a place you have to sign and send in the acceptance form within two weeks (in bold even). So does that mean if you don't send it in within two weeks they no longer consider you? Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so. In fact, I sent mine in last week, a week after I received it, and today I received another letter signed by Mr. Stavish, reminding me to send in my acceptance form if I haven't done so already.

So, has anyone heard anything from the October 9th interview group? ?

also ... I called in last Friday (5 weeks post interview) to check on my status, and they said nothing yet....Do you think it's bothersome to call again today (6 weeks post interview)? reason being is that I'm out of the country on a family trip and I won't be home to receive the mail for another 2 weeks...I just don't want to bother them, but, I'm very antsy.

whatcha think ?

I just got my unconditional acceptance from the A.F. yesterday (Saturday 11/30) so for all of ya'll waiting for one I guess you can start running to your mail boxes. Good luck everyone...

oh, i guess i should say for reference that i interviewed on Oct. 2 and received my unconditional about 5 weeks later.

I have an interview here very soon. Did most of you complete your physical before or after the interview. Also, what does the physical consist of? I'm really excited about the school. Please, if anyone has any additional insight, PM me.

I had my physical before the interview. The optometry exam was as usual. Read this, now again. Can you see this?

The physical exam was a hearing test, urine analysis for protein content, basic palpitation and external anal check, no internal rectal exam. Run in place to measure heart rate. Very simple exam overall, nothing to worry about.

The interview day is very nice. Starts off by meeting in admissions. Make sure you drop off all the forms (military branch preference etc) except the security stuff at this point, you will have some time to do that in the afternoon between interviews. Next, Col. Stavish (the man who signs your acceptance letter) may give an inspirational talk about the school and military medicine. Following that, there is a little break, and then some talks by some other important people. Next is a student panel, followed by tours and lunch. Bring $$ for lunch. After lunch it is off to your two interviews. Expect Why military med? How would you handle deployment etc.

In between interviews, you will be encouraged to visit with the higher ups, whose offices surround the student area (very nice). Think of some questions beforehand. Introduce yourself. They are receptive and they make the decisions.

I enjoyed the experience overall. You will notice that the students are very friendly and that the military feeling is not overbearing.

I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any specifics.

Yeah everyone was really nice. Almost to the point of me wondering what all the fuss was about. But it was nice to have students come up and start talking to you and giving you encouragement and stuff. Well done on the reception, USU.

DoDMERB sent me two remedial forms to fill out after my physical; one for motion sickness and the other for allergies. The allergy remedial says specifically that I do not have to go to a physician and that I can answer the questions and mail the form back myself. The motion sickness form, however, does not mention anything about a physician and has no place for a physician to fill out or sign anything. But the cover letter seems to suggest that remedials are to be completed at a doctor's visit unless otherwise stated.:confused:
So I am wondering if anyone else had to fill out this motion sickness remedial form ( I am assuming it would be fairly common), and if so, did you go to a physician or did you just fill it out yourself?
In case anyone is wondering, the motion sickness questions were extremely basic, like "have you ever been carsick, seasick, airsick, etc.?" "Have you ever taken medication for motion sickness?" "How severe are the symptoms?" The questions do not need a doc's expertise, which is why I am almost certain that no doc visit is necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going on the 8th week and still no word :confused:

Anyone heard anything from the army yet from oct 9th or later?

evines,

I don't think you need a physician for that. I had a few remedials as well, and the one that needed a physician specifically stated that requirement.

good luck

evines-

I have two remedials and both just need the documentation from my medical files, no office visit. It can be confusing since the remedial letters do go into a lot of detail about how to schedule a doctors visit. Then you turn to the last page and all they want are copies of documents.

You're golden medboy, don't worry about it too much. It comes in a thin envelope, and yeah it took like 7 weeks for them to tell me, but actually I just ended up calling them and she told me and then said they'd send out a letter within a week or two. Call 'em!

Medboy-

Ditto on the call them. I called at 6 weeksand they were joking around with me and then said "congrats, you're in!"

Yep same for me. Nice people.

I called ....

And they said....

I should hear by Christmas!

So the waiting continues ... :(

What's up everyone! Just wanted to say good luck to everyone applying to USUHS. Anyone coming from UF? Well, if anyone has any questions about the school or anything like that feel free to PM me. This is definitely an awesome school and was my first choice!

Later,
Leighton
USUHS Class of 2007!

OK. I am finally physically qualified. Now all I have to do is get the acceptance. It's been six weeks post-interview, so I am expecting to hear something soon.
ArmyDoc, I am at UF right now (microbiology major). USUHS is my first choice, as is the Army. That Army-Navy game sucked, didn't it? Oh well.

You will hear from them soon. I heard six weeks post interview. Plus, they said letters will go out before the holidays according to medboy.

Originally posted by evines
That Army-Navy game sucked, didn't it? Oh well.

Go Midshipmen - woo hoo! :clap:

Seriously, though, the Black Knights put up a good fight. Much better than last year, despite our much improved record. Fine game.

Kat @ USNA

I was just there interviewing 12/4 and they said that they were sending out about 30 acceptance offers that day. Hopefully that means some of you will be getting your good news soon (but not too many of you since I want a spot too).

Thanks grumbo for the news. That's the best thing I have read all day.

I'm in!!! I think? I just got an e-mail from the Army telling me that they had received my conditional acceptance and that I needed to fill out paperwork. The snail-mail hasn't arrived yet today.

Thanks GOS2. And congrats to you too. My mail just arrived and the conditional was in there, dated six weeks and one day from the interview. So I guess it is "conditionally" official now.
Everybody check your mailboxes. Where are those other 29 acceptances? They have to be out there somewhere.

I interviewed way back on 9/25 and called today to see where my application was. Sadly, I wasn't in the initially accepatble pool and wont find out my final status until march or april. So I'm afraid that the chances are slim that I will be joining you in the fall.:( There still may be hope and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Congratulations to all who have been accepted. Best of luck to everyone!

Originally posted by evines
OK. I am finally physically qualified. Now all I have to do is get the acceptance. It's been six weeks post-interview, so I am expecting to hear something soon.
ArmyDoc, I am at UF right now (microbiology major). USUHS is my first choice, as is the Army. That Army-Navy game sucked, didn't it? Oh well.

Congrats on the acceptance evines! I almost did microbio but I ended up doing nutritional science instead. I didn't get to see the Army-Navy game cause I was studying for biochem but I heard it was pretty bad. Always next year! Well, back to biochem.

Later,
Leighton

Congrats, evines! I'm at the 5.5 week point now - hopefully the "before Christmas" prediction is true!

p.s. go Navy.............

Evines, congrats on the acceptance! That's kick a$$.

Well, it seems as though USUHS may not want me:( It's been beyond 8 weeks and people have been hearing, except me. So, despite the "You'll hear something before Christmas", I'm not too optimistic anymore.

Good luck everyone else. Sniff Sniff. +pity+

Hang in there medboy!! People that interviewed the same date as I were accepted a week or two before me.

:cool:

Hey Medboy,
Don't get disheartened by my story (if that is the case). Actually, i suspect I was not accepted due to difficiencies such as the quality of my interview and my GPA. It takes time for the committee to get to a final standing.
Best of luck, I hope you get it.

Not to change the tone or diminish any preceding posts, but,

Does anyone know how long we have to decide whether to accept their offer or not? They seem anxious for the signature, but I still would like some time to decide such a large issue, not to mention I'd like to see what the rest of the schools I applied to will say. Anyone know for sure?

northerner, if its the conditional you are referring to, its not binding so don't worry too much.

I have a question too:
Its been more than 3 weeks since my physical, but haven't heard anything back from dodmerb. I went to their website and tried the applicant status option, but then when i entered my info, it says "no information found..." anyone else had the same problem?

anyways...happy holidays to all!

:)

I got the same message at first. They didn't update the page until right before they sent me remedials. It took at least a month before anything showed up when I entered my info.
Good luck to all. Hopefully I will meet some of you next year.

evines,

When did you send in your remedials? I sent mine via priority mail last week and it still has not been "received". They told me that it could take some time to get through the base mail sorting. I'm getting realy tired of waiting though.

It's probably on this thread somewhere, but which branch are you? I'm AF.

I'm Army. I sent my remedials on Dec 1, and about one week later they updated the website saying that I was qualified, although I still haven't received a letter confirming this.
BTW, I guess you were correct about the remedial info you gave me earlier in the thread. I never went to a doc. Thanks.

evines.... I have another question. I just pm'd you.

So I just received my commissioning papers from USAREC and is it correct to assume that even signing these is not binding? When is it? OBC?

I think I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm worried if I sign and send in my conditional then that is equivalent to accepting an admission offer, and if I don't, they'll give away my spot. Gah.

Returning your conditional is just like sending in a deposit to any other medical school within 2 to 3 weeks from an acceptance letter stating that you are planning on attending. You can hold that spot at USUHS and if you are then accepted by a school you would rather go to, retract it.

I am wondering when the actual binding agreement occurs and I have a feeling it is at OBC where you must take some oath and sign something. I do not think it is in the commissioning papers.

Anyone currently at USUHS that can shine some light on this??

G0S2,
There was a girl at OBC this summer who was going to be at USUHS with us that decided the Army was not for her. She left. I think she decided she'd rather wait out another year of applying than be a military physician. I guess she thought we had it hard at OBC, lol. I thought it was a nice vacation. I went to enlisted basic training in '97 and we had it so nice at OBC compared to that. I wish i could repeat it again this summer! We had our own rooms, maid service, etc. etc.. So anyways, I'm pretty sure you can back out of it before school starts. You might want to call the admissions office and make sure if you are really worried about it. But why go anywhere else? USUHS is the best med school in the world!! Now that i'm here, I couldn't imagine being at any other med school. Anyways, need some sleep, too much neuro.

Later,
Leighton

All I want for "Christmuka" is an army letter ... an army letter ...

Still no word ....going on 10th week. Gulp.

Anyone hear anything?

Just received the letter from DoDMERB saying I'm physically qualified. Now, all I need is a "mentally qualified" letter from USUHS...

I'm in - go Navy!!! I interviewed on 30 October, and it sounds like my file went before the committee today. Nothing like a good news phone call before Christmas!

Congrats Swiper! Maybe I'll see you there in the fall!