anyone accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any one get accepted to DO schools without a letter of rec from a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

some schools are really strict about it others aren't. I got into tucom, dmu, and i think comp without my DO letter yet. Some schools do require it. I think it would be better to have a letter from an MD who knows you than from a DO who you ate lunch with :)

OSU-COM says that they won't even grant an interview until you have a DO letter submitted. They will take an MD letter in addition to the DO letter--that can be the knows-you-well letter. The DO letter seems to be a way for them to confirm that you have some understanding of the osteopathic philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into UNECOM without a letter from a DO.

Hello! I received an acceptance from MSUCOM without a letter of recommendation from a D.O. They were more interested in receiving letters from individuals who knew me very well. I got to know a lot of D.O.'s while an undergrad at MSU, however, I did not feel that they were able to assess my abilities as well as other professionals I had interacted with. Best of luck to you!

Here are some schools don't need DO letter
UNECOM
NYCOM
KCOM
DMU
PCOM
Ohio-COM
TCOM
They all recommend applicants with at least a DO letter, but it's not required to complete you file.

Just adding UMDNJ-SOM to the list.

Here are some schools don't need a DO letter
UNECOM
NYCOM
KCOM
DMU
PCOM
Ohio-COM
TCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
They all recommend applicants with at least a DO letter, but it's not required to complete your file.